• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Should that be the case for this Smash when DLC characters are a possibility? The circumstances for this Smash are very different when compared to Brawl.
The possibility of DLC could warrant discussion in the general Smash Bros. boards, but the possibility alone isn't enough to justify keeping the entire character discussion board open.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
*sees thread title*

*comes in*

WOW. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. Takamaru confirmed for Smash 5? I didn't realize our Japanese brothers liked him so much. Let's rally in as much support as we can get over the next 6 years!

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So pretty much that means:

• Lip
  • Donbe & Hikari
  • Prince Sable
  • Excite Biker
  • Mach Rider
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Mike Jones
  • Pilot Wings
  • Muddy Mole
  • Diskun
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Mr. Sheriff
  • Duck Hunt Dog
>all these
>no Bubbles from Clu Clu Land
>okay.jpg

Staarih

Smash Master
I recall Sakurai mentioning Assist Trophies having somewhat of a role in All Star mode, not sure what it would be though... but I am looking forward for some Takamaru-greatness there.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, if Sakurai ever heard about that Lyndis-incident, wouldn't that be pretty jarring...

But hmm.
If his Twitter account is any indication, he gets death and suicide threats every single day over character requests so I honestly don't think he'd care too much. You can only be threatened by adults with grade school grammar and a caps lock addiction several thousand times before becoming completely numb to it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, your kind of forced to learn how to shrug off people when your working in a series as large and interconnected as the modern game market is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I remember this. It was September 11, 2007. This was on the Nsider forums. Some Lyn fangirl got so butthurt over Lyn being an Assist Trophy. She said she wanted to kill herself. Several forum members tried to talk her out of it and some criticized her and called her pathetic. I don't know what happened after that because Nsider was shut down permanently. Maybe she really became an hero or it was just her cry for attention.
If that person is who I think it is, I recall her perfectly. First because she was heavily anti-Sonic. And secondly, because after Lyn's AT reveal, I never saw her post again.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If that person is who I think it is, I recall her perfectly. First because she was heavily anti-Sonic. And secondly, because after Lyn's AT reveal, I never saw her post again.
Seriously? Wow... I guess it is probably true that she committed suicide over Lyn Assist Trophy. SMH

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Seriously? Wow... I guess it is probably true that she committed suicide over Lyn Assist Trophy. SMH
She probably had issues way beyond that, and Lyn's fate was the straw that broke the camel's back.

All this speculation on everything is painful. Wish we could just know the blasted roster already.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I recall Sakurai mentioning Assist Trophies having somewhat of a role in All Star mode, not sure what it would be though... but I am looking forward for some Takamaru-greatness there.
Perhaps they appear as obstacles during battle to interrupt your fight with certain opponents. We'll keep an eye out just in case what Sakurai said is actually true. It will be kind of like how certain missions went in One Piece: Grand Adventure were you fight an opponent while a few high level Assists appear at the beginning of the match to get in your way or defend their master. It will be quite the challenge if this were to happen though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So... to make this thread a tad less gloomy..

What are the chances of having a MMC stage?
And what would your ideal stage be, based on this game?

I'd love it to be a Delfino style stage where you start in the forest of Aosame, then the platforms take you to that particular screen in the mountains where you have a bridge and you can see the background. Then you go to the fiery plains of Akasame, to the wintery lakes of Ryosame, etc until the last screen where you fight at the top of Murasame Castle.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If his Twitter account is any indication, he gets death and suicide threats every single day over character requests so I honestly don't think he'd care too much. You can only be threatened by adults with grade school grammar and a caps lock addiction several thousand times before becoming completely numb to it.
Threatening him is ridiculous. Asking for a character, politely, and stating reasons why they would be fun and unique would be the way to go.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
She probably had issues way beyond that, and Lyn's fate was the straw that broke the camel's back.

All this speculation on everything is painful. Wish we could just know the blasted roster already.
Now that I think about it... I remember another Nsider forum member was explaining the situation about the Lyn fangirl... apparently she gets depressed every year on September 11... I assume it was because of the 9/11 attacks... and Lyn was deconfirmed on September 11, 2007.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I'd love it to be a Delfino style stage where you start in the forest of Aosame, then the platforms take you to that particular screen in the mountains where you have a bridge and you can see the background. Then you go to the fiery plains of Akasame, to the wintery lakes of Ryosame, etc until the last screen where you fight at the top of Murasame Castle.
I don't know how much MMC content we'd get in Smash 4 with the character as an assist already. We didn't get any Jam With The Band or Sin & Punishment things with Barbara or Saki before. Then again, Smash 4 looks to have an absurd amount of Nintendo content inside so I don't know.

As for my ideal stage, I'd really just want a straight forward castle side brawl framed by the light of the full moon. Every now and again, you'd see ninjas running through the halls through the windows but for the most part it'd be a straightforward multitiered stage thanks to the configuration of the castle. No walk offs and maybe some Japanese garden scenery in the lower parts of the stage (beyond the blast zone). Basically, I just want a colorful and visually diverse neutral stage.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't know how much MMC content we'd get in Smash 4 with the character as an assist already. We didn't get any Jam With The Band or Sin & Punishment things with Barbara or Saki before. Then again, Smash 4 looks to have an absurd amount of Nintendo content inside so I don't know.

As for my ideal stage, I'd really just want a straight forward castle side brawl framed by the light of the full moon. Every now and again, you'd see ninjas running through the halls through the windows but for the most part it'd be a straightforward multitiered stage thanks to the configuration of the castle. No walk offs and maybe some Japanese garden scenery in the lower parts of the stage (beyond the blast zone). Basically, I just want a colorful and visually diverse neutral stage.
In Brawl we got Murasame Castle music without an assist
Saki and Barbara were assists and got no music from their series

Hmmmmm....

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
In Brawl we got Murasame Castle music without an assist
Saki and Barbara were assists and got no music from their series

Hmmmmm....
...I totally forgot about this. Let's go Murasame stage/more music! Especially more music, that game has a wildly good soundtrack.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Now that you've mentioned it, I've thought of a perfect idea for a Murasame Castle. It could be similar to the Silph-co stage from Super Smash Flash 2. First, you start off in Aosame Jo where you are in a rather ordinary blue room with a few platforms and some pits. Sometimes, ninjas would appear out of the curtains or pits to attack the players with shirukens. When every a transition about to happen, a tanooki would appear and point upwards as the screen scrolls to the next section of the stage. In Akasame Jo, the layouts a wee bit different with some flame pits on the end and everything looking like Battlefield. Instead of ninja, there's Fire Shinobu that would launch fireballs from the background. In Ryokusame Jo, the entire area is leafy with a layout like Green Greens (complete with the destructible foliage and poisonous flowers on certain parts). The enemies in this room are Tengu that could fire tornadoes that function like the ones from N64 Hyrule Castle. In, Momosame Jo, everything is full of sakura and the layout is now like Brinstar (but obviously without the actual lava). There are sakura blossoms that could fire clouds of petals to attack players if they get anywhere near them and illusions of Murasame Masks could appear as obvious foreshadowing of the next section. Lastly, you in Murasame Jo where everything is basically Spear Pillar with skulls for platforms and arena. Murasame himself would be quite the nuisance where he could destroy any part of the stage with a single roar or fire a blast of demonic energy to attack the fighters. To reset back to the begin, a flash of lighting "blinds" the entire screen and the entire process will repeat itself again. It should stay true to the game's challenging nature and be as frenzied s the crazy world of Murasame Castle.

...I totally forgot about this. Let's go Murasame stage/more music! Especially more music, that game has a wildly good soundtrack.
Sakurai, can you PLEASE have a remix of Douchoumen on Balloon Fight? :sadeyes:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Now that you've mentioned it, I've thought of a perfect idea for a Murasame Castle. It could be similar to the Silph-co stage from Super Smash Flash 2. First, you start off in Aosame Jo where you are in a rather ordinary blue room with a few platforms and some pits. Sometimes, ninjas would appear out of the curtains or pits to attack the players with shirukens. When every a transition about to happen, a tanooki would appear and point upwards as the screen scrolls to the next section of the stage. In Akasame Jo, the layouts a wee bit different with some flame pits on the end and everything looking like Battlefield. Instead of ninja, there's Fire Shinobu that would launch fireballs from the background. In Ryokusame Jo, the entire area is leafy with a layout like Green Greens (complete with the destructible foliage and poisonous flowers on certain parts). The enemies in this room are Tengu that could fire tornadoes that function like the ones from N64 Hyrule Castle. In, Momosame Jo, everything is full of sakura and the layout is now like Brinstar (but obviously without the actual lava). There are sakura blossoms that could fire clouds of petals to attack players if they get anywhere near them and illusions of Murasame Masks could appear as obvious foreshadowing of the next section. Lastly, you in Murasame Jo where everything is basically Spear Pillar with skulls for platforms and arena. Murasame himself would be quite the nuisance where he could destroy any part of the stage with a single roar or fire a blast of demonic energy to attack the fighters. To reset back to the begin, a flash of lighting "blinds" the entire screen and the entire process will repeat itself again. It should stay true to the game's challenging nature and be as frenzied s the crazy world of Murasame Castle.

Sakurai, can you PLEASE have a remix of Douchoumen on Balloon Fight? :sadeyes:

Love how there's a lot of SW3: Murasame Castle inspiration. :D Sounds awesome.
There has to be an area with ponds in it. (BTW, slightly off topic, but have you guys noticed that the water mechanics are now gone? They've reverted back to the Melee properties, which is that you go right through water with no resistance).

Since MMC has about... well... two main songs. How's adding music from Shin Onigashima?
Or they could also add the SW3 mixes.. to the mix. :p

Another cool idea would be to have a similar stage to Shredder's hideout form TMNT Smash Up, which is basically this traditional Japanese building that suddenly bursts into flames. It's chaotic and a lot of fun. (While still competitive viable) :D

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Ahh, sad the samurai won't join this smash, however I feel he'll definetly be in the next one for sure.
Specially if Sakurai revives Takamaru like he did with Pit.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Of course I have, but that Pac-Man is a completely different incarnation. Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is just some dweeb high school kid with lame elemental powers, the Pac-Man in Smash is a classic retro character full of charm and nostalgia.

Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is very much relevant by today's standards, but classic Pac-Man rarely gets any games anymore. Plus, if Ghostly Adventures Pac was in this game instead, his moveset would revolve around turning into different powers like Charmelon Pac-Man and Boulder Pac-Man. They're almost like completely different characters.
They are the same entity. Both when it comes to the franchise that they represent, and the character.

Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is as close to the World Pac-Man as the Classic Pac-Man is to the World one. The only difference is that the character has been reworked in personality and canon...again.

"Toru Iwatani: Pac Man’s character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese–he is an innocent character. He hasn’t been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them. He’s indiscriminate because he’s naive. But he learns from experience that some people, like policemen, should have pistols and that he can’t eat just any pistol in sight."

This was his personality at first. But the Hanna Barbera cartoon, Pac-Man World 3, and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures all have vastly different personalities from one another, and also all have different designs.

Along with that, non-Ghostly Adventures designs are being used even today. Pac-Man Monsters was released only four months ago. If that design's not close enough, then keep in mind that the typical World design was itself used only two years ago.

That makes this design of Pac-Man if it is a separate entity less retro than Other M's Samus.

Also, where in the world did you get the idea that retro characters have to be from Nintendo? I have never heard of anyone say "Nintendo retro character" before, just "retro character". That implies that a retro character can be anyone from Takamaru to Alex Kidd, the both of which haven't had a brand new game in a long time, therefore making them retro. There hasn't been a precedent for all retro characters being Nintendo characters, so classic Pac-Man could definitely still count as the retro character. If he isn't a classic retro character, then I don't know who is.
I just explained above with Pac-Man, but even the design that Mega Man uses in Smash was used last March 1, 2010. Which is only about six months before Metroid: Other M. Seriously, look it up. If we're counting Mega Man (who was used last before World Pac-Man was) as our retro, then Ridley, King K. Rool, and Isaac would all be retro as well, with the King being the greatest offender, showing up last in 2008.

So, no, we do not have a retro right now. Neither of the third parties count even without arguing the Nintendo point. Neither of them fit the age criteria.

And before you argue Little Mac, his last game was May 18, 2009. And Nintendo themselves have on the website for that game that "Little Mac is back!!". So, not retro.

TL:DR, known better for older games =/= retro, redesigns are not different characters, and King K. Rool is more retro than Pac-Man, Mega Man, or Little Mac.

Last edited:

TheSoraKid

Banned via Warnings
They are the same entity. Both when it comes to the franchise that they represent, and the character.

Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is as close to the World Pac-Man as the Classic Pac-Man is to the World one. The only difference is that the character has been reworked in personality and canon...again.

"Toru Iwatani: Pac Man’s character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese–he is an innocent character. He hasn’t been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them. He’s indiscriminate because he’s naive. But he learns from experience that some people, like policemen, should have pistols and that he can’t eat just any pistol in sight."

This was his personality at first. But the Hanna Barbera cartoon, Pac-Man World 3, and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures all have vastly different personalities from one another, and also all have different designs.

Along with that, non-Ghostly Adventures designs are being used even today. Pac-Man Monsters was released only four months ago. If that design's not close enough, then keep in mind that the typical World design was itself used only two years ago.

That makes this design of Pac-Man if it is a separate entity less retro than Other M's Samus.

I just explained above with Pac-Man, but even the design that Mega Man uses in Smash was used last March 1, 2010. Which is only about six months before Metroid: Other M. Seriously, look it up. If we're counting Mega Man (who was used last before World Pac-Man was) as our retro, then Ridley, King K. Rool, and Isaac would all be retro as well, with the King being the greatest offender, showing up last in 2008.

So, no, we do not have a retro right now. Neither of the third parties count even without arguing the Nintendo point. Neither of them fit the age criteria.

And before you argue Little Mac, his last game was May 18, 2009. And Nintendo themselves have on the website for that game that "Little Mac is back!!". So, not retro.

TL:DR, known better for older games =/= retro, redesigns are not different characters, and King K. Rool is more retro than Pac-Man, Mega Man, or Little Mac.
Very well said, Pacack-san.:)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I gave Samurai Warriors 3 a chance again. Obviously because of the Murasame Castle mode. :3

I can say I'm enjoying it a LOT more this time around. It's funny because it treats itself like a sequel to NNMJ (despite being a short game) and I think it manages to pull it off.
I've reached Murasame (the area) and I'm loving the game so far. But this is because I've gotten the hang of how the mechanics work. Heck, this game might be responsible for me getting into the Dinasty Warriors franchise.

I cross my fingers that Takamaru will appear in Hyrule Warriors. That would be the best thing ever! (After playable in SSB of course).

And I hope Takamaru keeps making more cameo appearances until his innevitable game revival!

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
So I gave Samurai Warriors 3 a chance again. Obviously because of the Murasame Castle mode. :3

I can say I'm enjoying it a LOT more this time around. It's funny because it treats itself like a sequel to NNMJ (despite being a short game) and I think it manages to pull it off.
I've reached Murasame (the area) and I'm loving the game so far. But this is because I've gotten the hang of how the mechanics work. Heck, this game might be responsible for me getting into the Dinasty Warriors franchise.

I cross my fingers that Takamaru will appear in Hyrule Warriors. That would be the best thing ever! (After playable in SSB of course).

And I hope Takamaru keeps making more cameo appearances until his innevitable game revival!
Naw. No more cameos! No more Captain Rainbow and Nintendoland. This kid's ready for a comeback right now.

He's a peacock! Just let him soar!

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I have seen some hate towards Lucina because of Takamarus disconfirmation, and please guys don't do that. It makes Takamarus fan base look bad, and Lucina is a generally more popular and well-known character, so it doesn't really make sense to hate on her for Taka's assist status. It's not like they kicked him out of the roster for her, anyway.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I don't get any hate that isn't gentle ribbing. The position other characters occupy has no bearing on Takamaru's or any other disconfirmed character's position. These rosters are decided on years in advance.

Let's try to be above the hate.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I had just become intrigued about the idea of Takamaru of being playable. I would have liked to see a samurai in the roster. It's a tough pill to swallow for some because he was very high on some people's most wanted lists. The same happened to Waluigi, and it's very disappointing. He looks pretty cool and can't wait to see him in action as an assist. I think he has a great shot for the next Smash game and I will be sure to support him then.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have seen some hate towards Lucina because of Takamarus disconfirmation, and please guys don't do that. It makes Takamarus fan base look bad, and Lucina is a generally more popular and well-known character, so it doesn't really make sense to hate on her for Taka's assist status. It's not like they kicked him out of the roster for her, anyway.
I don't think it's Lucina's fault.
But I do think Sakurai can be pretty biased sometimes, and he HAS said that Takamaru would be a bit of a "generic" inclusion. Not even sure where I could find a source to back this up, but it was common knowledge back in 2006.

Now... he can find the time and effort to put in 4 characters from Fire Emblem, most of which rely on a single weapon to attack. But he still finds Takamaru generic, despite him having 4 different weapons, 3 of them having 3 varieties each, and two special attacks which could easily translate into Final Smashes.

So I'm at 2 theories here:

The negative one: Sakurai favors his personal likes, and Nintendo's biggest financial successes.

The positive one: Namco Bandai is apparently already preparing for SSB5, which means Sakurai would want to save SOME surprise character for said game, instead of rushing them all for SSB4. And wait for Takamaru to fuel hype for the Newcomer trailers for the next title.

I like to think it's the 2nd choice. Because we're going to run out of classic characters eventually, which is why he wouldn't add so many in the same game. :D

I'm so over Lucina already.:falcon:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sorry for double posting, I just didn't want to this next bit to be cluttered into my long paragraph above.

I just realised Takamaru would have gotten a pretty natural Custom Move system.

So we know the projectiles Takamaru throws are: Kunai, Windmill shuriken, and flames (shuriken?).
And there are 4 different paths in which these projectiles can be thrown: Single forward, 3-way, 3-way forward, and 4-directional (like in the AT POTD).

With custom moves we could've explored all of these combinations. It's quite sad. :( Maybe next time.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
Im frankly happy he even made it at all. Assist Trophies in general as a concept is meant to bring more view to unrepresented and underrated series or characters, like Dillon and especially Takamaru.

Stink's he's not a character, but im not gonna join the bandwagon and blame Lucina for it, Sakurai said that Lucina had absolutely no effort and was just a free spot, it would be stretching to say "Lucina took an undeserving spot from someone else"

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, now that Takamaru has been delayed till Smash 6, what retros are people pulling for now specifically?

Personally I'm pulling for Donbe and Hikari. Very unlikely, but keeps Takamaru's feudal japan theme, more or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom