• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
"I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.!"
Now he is finally one of the bros.

Gentlemen, it has been a privilege supporting Takamaru with you. I know we all expected Taka to be the next Pit. But he can still be the next Little Mac. Or the first Takamaru. It was really fun to support him. Though this is not the end, just a new step. I will be here six years from now, and I hope to see you guys one more time so we can support Takamaru again.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"I, Takamaru, have waited many years to appear in Super Smash Bros.!"
Now he is finally one of the bros.

Gentlemen, it has been a privilege supporting Takamaru with you. I know we all expected Taka to be the next Pit. But he can still be the next Little Mac. Or the first Takamaru. It was really fun to support him. Though this is not the end, just a new step. I will be here six years from now, and I hope to see you guys one more time so we can support Takamaru again.
Amen, my friend, amen.
See you guys in the next Smash.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
bummer hes an assist but glad he's in the game... hopefully he's the next little mac and we get a new takamaru game b4 the next smash and he's playable next time around!

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I think I vaguely remember someone mention that Kamiya said he would work on Takamaru game? Or was that a lie?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
bummer hes an assist but glad he's in the game... hopefully he's the next little mac and we get a new takamaru game b4 the next smash and he's playable next time around!
Sure thing, I would bet those sly devils would have the whole thing planned if they localize the Wii U VC of Murasame Castle later this year. I will for surely keep an eye on them in case anything else suspicious happen.
@ loganhogan loganhogan It's true that Kamiya was interested, but he's rather busy with Scalebound and Bayonetta 2 for now.

Thank god the thread has finally calmed down.
So what else will Takamaru do other than just throwing projectiles?
I'd assume he'd throw more than just those... things, but do you guys think he'll do any sword attacks?
Based on what Sakurai had described, I think he'll only throw Pinwheel Swords in different directions based on what shogi piece he's using. Though some blade attacks if any foes were to get close would be nice too.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Congrats on assist trophy status. It's a lot better of a role than many other retros will get, so at least he gets an HD model and a role in smash.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Congrats on assist trophy status. It's a lot better of a role than many other retros will get, so at least he gets an HD model and a role in smash.
He gets to be with the big boys for now: Devil, Color TV-15, and Andross. The best part is that one of the three is actually his long time buddy (though that buddy lacks the moveset potential to be playable).

That model is pretty nice though if fangirls compared him to Marth or Miiverse kids mistaken him for a girl. :laugh:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
So what's everyone doing now? Also, what becomes of support threads after disconfirmations?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
He gets to be with the big boys for now: Devil, Color TV-15, and Andross. The best part is that one of the three is actually his long time buddy (though that buddy lacks the moveset potential to be playable).
You mean the Devil?

I don't think he and Takamaru would get along well... After all, a lot of demons appear as enemies in Murasame Castle.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why I keep imagining his disconfirmation going like this?

Mac: Hey Takamaru buddy
Taka: What
Mac: Here, have my keys
Mac: *Whisked away by women up to skies as he becomes playable*

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You mean the Devil?

I don't think he and Takamaru would get along well... After all, a lot of demons appear as enemies in Murasame Castle.
Yeah, Takamaru and Devil will go together like Samurai Jack and Aku since they're blood brothers. Makes me wish that both of them are playable in the sequel. :troll:

That would be hilarious yet fitting since Sakurai always sends the ladies to get the lucky ******** ready for battle.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
This is even better if you're me and see Takamaru, Lip and Little Mac as best "obscure series" friends and see Lip with her best Yotsuba impression and Takamaru just dying on the inside. lol

Edit: Times like this I wish I was good with art. I guess one of my goals over the next few years is to get good enough at drawing to keep the spirit alive with Takamaru/MMC fan art.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So what's everyone doing now? Also, what becomes of support threads after disconfirmations?
I'm making a game of my own currently. Feeling like sneaking in a not-Takamaru in there somehow :D as a tribute of course.

Well, they' remain active until the game comes out which is when the support threads are moved to another section of Smashboards if not locked as well. That's what happened with the Brawl support threads at least.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm making a game of my own currently. Feeling like sneaking in a not-Takamaru in there somehow :D as a tribute of course.

Well, they' remain active until the game comes out which is when the support threads are moved to another section of Smashboards if not locked as well. That's what happened with the Brawl support threads at least.
Well we shall have as best kind of run as we can guys...

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Oh OK. I certainly hope that Team Taka won't be drifting too far away then. You all are the best. One of the most respectful and down to Earth character fan bases I've been a part of since Brawl. I can only hope that we come back in style with time.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh ok. I certainly hope that Team Taka won't be drifting too far away then. You all are the best.
I'm about to start supporting the Mike Jones thread more often, if anyone would like to with me, I'd be extremely humbled.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm about to start supporting the Mike Jones thread more often, if anyone would like to with me, I'd be extremely humbled.
Yeah, I'd like to. If I do get any better with fan art/drawing I'll be leading the joint offensive on that end with Takamaru, Mike and Lip focused stuff.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's been a honor knowing you guys and fighting until the end. Having a Smashboards account for the first time during the development of a major Smash game and before the release of that game was quite the treat. Even I found how things were going during the pre-Brawl days during my lurking sections. We supported the characters we've liked, we had intelligent discussions and arguments about certain content in Smash, and we even face the harsh realities of deconfirmations while finding something positive about it. I'll for surely still stick around when the game comes out and will partake in such craziness again when Sakurai announces Smash 5 in the far future for Nintendo's next console/handheld. It's been nice knowing you guys and we'll still be able to reform our support group once the wonders of opportunity opens again in 6-7 years. Like Takamaru could have said, "Arigato, sempais!".

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ok, now I'm hoping that the other Captain Rainbow characters get in as Assist Trophies along with Takamaru and Devil... Lip, Famicom Wars Infantry Units, Birdo, Donbe & Hikari, and Captain Rainbow himself... as they rally behind Little Mac.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ok, now I'm hoping that the other Captain Rainbow characters get in as Assist Trophies along with Takamaru and Devil... Lip, Famicom Wars Infantry Units, Birdo, Donbe & Hikari, and Captain Rainbow himself... as they rally behind Little Mac.
Arcadenik, that would make me cry tears of joy if Sakurai had done such a thing as a tribute to a quirky masterpiece like Captain Rainbow. Though Smash 5 speculation will be pretty damn chaotic with such new competition like that. :pimp:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Honestly, at this point in 2014, I don't think there's going to be a lot of competition so much as a lot of backed up wishes will start getting fulfilled in Smash 5/4 DLC. Sakurai's already expressed concerns about Nintendo not doing much in the way of making new character driven IP of the scale of the big guys and that was from pre-Brawl. If things keep going this way, it might just be that in the future a lot of previously glossed over franchises will see entrants a la Villager.

Then again, I shouldn't say anything when Splatoon is a thing. You know for damn sure the Inklings are showing up in Smash 5. That's like the easiest bet right there.

Edit: Seeing all those comments on the front page from people saying that they're interested in playing the game and finding out more has me all :')

I wonder if this was the true motive behind the AT decision.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
So I woke up this morning and checked to see what last night's POTD was, and then I was sad. :(
that's my 3rd wanted newcomer gone (after Dillon and Wonder Red)
Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, you two are the only chances I have left for a wanted newcomer (the only other newcomer I wanted that I got was Megaman)
I also want Mewtwo but he isn't a newcomer.
and my absolute holy grail would be Banjo & Kazooie (in their N64 designs) but at this rate their chance is next to nothing.

I was so sure Taka would be in, everything seemed to be lining up perfectly for his revival,
Sticker and Music in Brawl
Captain Rainbow
Reference in Pikmin 2
Samurai Warriors 3 Guest
Nazo no Murasame jo re-released on 3DS and Wii U in Japan
his game FINALLY getting a worldwide release
Nintendo Land

it really felt like he was going to be the next Pit, but I guess things just went another way.

However, I chose to see this as a little victory. with everything before it and now his inclusion as an assist trophy things are looking brighter for Takamaru's future than ever before, all these little appearances by him and his role as an assist trophy should raise a lot of interest in him from people outside of his loyal fanbases, which would hopefully lead to his virtual console releases selling well so that Nintendo can make a new game for him and revive/reboot his series. and then in a few years time he can take the same role as Little Mac and make the jump to a playable character, now with more fans than ever before. like Doc Luis said to Mac in his trailer "the world's waitin' for ya, kid" I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer before Takamaru becomes the star he is destined to be

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
So after going through some more Mysterious Murasame Castle footage, I thought of changing some minor aspects of my Takamaru move set to better reflect what he could pull of in game. (This was done mostly for the Project M clone engine post I did a while back, if you get confused by the context at the beginning of the post)

I do think I might have made him a bit OP though. lol

The character is envisioned as a "jack of all trades" in a vein similar to Link while skewing more towards offense than the defensive Link. While his blade has noticeably less range than other sword fighters (Katanas are shorter than the European broadswords and rapiers which inspire the swords used by Link and Marth; at most he has Marth's vBrawl range), this is made up for by the speed of his attacks as well as his projectiles.

The character base for Takamaru would actually be Link. On top of providing the necessary articles to be referenced for his projectiles, the relationship between the two brother series cannot be understated. Whereas Johnny was the biggest influence on my ideas for Lyn, Baiken, another Guilty Gear character, and Kenshin Himura of the Rurouni Kenshin anime series served as the greatest inspirations for my ideas for Takamaru.

Running speed: Between Marth and PM Pit (Closer to Marth)
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No
Tether: No
Reflector: Yes (First draw of Forward Smash)
Fall Speed: Fast
Weight Class: Lightweight
Jump heights: Average (think Fox)

Jab: Takamaru swings his sheathed sword once from left to right. Pressing jab again has him do it again from right to left. The third jab has Takamaru draw his sword, thrusting it by the hilt forward at an opponent's midsection before deftly sheathing it again.
F-Tilt: Takamaru turns his back on an opponent before thrusting his sword forward at them. Think of Baiken's S guard cancel attack from Guilty Gear. This attack can also be angled.
D-Tilt: Takamaru sweeps his sheathed blade forward along the ground to hit his opponent's ankle with the lowest part of the scabbard. Can be rapid fired.
U-Tilt: Takamaru flicks/draws his sword hilt out and upward near himself hitting an opponent with the butt of the blade. This launches opponents for juggles. "...I wasn't finished speaking."
F-Smash: Takamaru does a two step Battoujutsu styled draw similar in style to Himura Kenshin's final attack in the Rurouni Kenshin series. The second swing is generated with a second press of the A button.
D-Smash: Takamaru unsheathes his sword and drops on one knee stabbing the ground in front of himself. A quake is then generated in a small area on both sides of himself launching opponents upward somewhat. (Think PM Wario's down smash)
U-Smash: Takamaru does a short hop knee kick that launches upward before drawing his sword in a solid attack arc above himself then sheathing his sword before landing. This attack arc is similar to Meta Knight's Up Smash.
N-Air: Takamaru performs a single hit spinning draw slash from left to right with great force. The momentum of this draw spins Takamaru around allowing the attack to create a ring around himself. (Think of Dante's jumping heavy attack in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or Roy's N-Air performed by Takamaru unsheathing his sword with the momentum from the draw spinning him around once before he re-sheathes the sword.)
F-Air: Takamaru slashes a straight horizontal arc in front of himself before quickly sheathing his sword. (Note: Moves referenced in links are not an indication of how I perceive their actual distances.) Can be used for carry combos but does not have a lot of active frames.
B-Air: Takamaru performs a somersault in the air slashing from under to behind himself in a manner similar to Baiken's H guard cancel attack from Guilty Gear.
U-Air: Takamaru sweeps his katana above his head after a draw. This is similar in nature to Baiken's Youzansen.
D-Air: (Ryu Tsui Sen) Takamaru draws his sword straight downward in a power streaking movement then re-sheathes it. The attack has a very small range and active time but is a true spike.

Neutral B: Fireballs: Takamaru can launch will-o-wisp style fireballs that travel straight forward with this move. Holding B generates a larger wisp made of multiple fireballs (reflecting the Pawn, Knight, Rook and Bishop power ups in Mysterious Murasame Castle) that moves forward in a coil motion before exploding or scattering in different directions. You cannot store this charge however.

Forward B: Windmill Shuriken: Throws a shuriken projectile forward that generates a wall of wind before dissipating completely. Holding the B button (again, referencing the power ups in Mysterious Murasame Castle) charges this move allowing it to go farther and generate even greater winds. These winds push people out while dealing damage. (Think of Link's vBrawl Gale Boomerang except it does damage as it pushes and doesn't come back to Takamaru)

Down B: Empty Step: Takamaru throws a cloak over himself briefly rendering him invisible and intangible save for the cartoonish circular shadow under himself denoting his position on stage. Holding the B button and tilting in a certain direction allows him to move in that direction about for a short amount of time (a quick count to three) before he has to unveil himself (this has a decent cool down animation). As he moves about, this shadow moves along the ground he occupies. Takamaru can only move along the ground forward or backward while he is using this ability. Pressing A during this time allows him to do a sweeping swing of his sword from under himself forward and upward a la Marth's forward tilt. This move has next to no knock back and deals light damage. On block, it can be grab punished.

Upward B: Whirling Draw: Takamaru rises in a somersault while drawing his blade. The initial draw on the ground launches opponent upward into a series of smaller slashes as he spins and slashes a set height above the ground in a manner similar to Samus' screw attack.

Spot Dodge: Takamaru leans to the side hand on his hilt looking attentively at whatever just passed him by.

Air Dodge: Takamaru is wrapped into his invisibility cloak as Sakura petals show where he is headed before the cloak is cast off.

Grab: Takamaru reaches out for the opponent with one hand outstretched.
Pummel: Takamaru jabs the butt end of his katana at the character's midsection.
Forward throw: Takamaru does a turn around back kick hitting the opponent square in their jaw launching them forward.
Back throw: Takamaru performs a turn around sword draw slice after positioning himself behind the opponent's back.
Up throw: Takamaru throws an clay bomb explosive downward that launches the opponent into the air.
Down Throw: Takamaru jumps on top, stomps once (think Kirby's down throw with a single kick down) and jumps off landing on the other side of the now downed opponent.

Final Smash: Inazuma Lightning: Takamaru stabs his katana into the air where it is struck by lightning. After this, he then directs the lightning bolts to strike near him on screen before the storm passes.
Things that changed:

Up Smash: animation change to be more feasible
Down Smash: Changed to the quake ability
Neutral and Forward B moves now reflect the Pawn, Knight, Bishop and Rook powerups to projectiles
Down B now acts more true to his abilities when using the invisibility cloak
Grab, Pummel, and all throws added
Ground Dodge and Air Dodge animations added

You know it's funny. I feel more motivated now than I did when we didn't know what part he'd play in Smash 4.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My hopes for SSB5 is that we get to pit the Captain Rainbow cast (Takamaru, Little Mac, Lip) vs the Captain N cast (Megaman, Simon Belmont, Pit). :3
Michael Jones of course too.

And if they insist on taking the game to another level, I think it's about time we get some 6-8 player action around here.
-

Like I said before in another thread. I think Sakurai wants to keep the retro characters to a minimum, and give the popular characters all the priority they need, because popularity comes and goes, but classics are forever. :) (and limited too).
And he'll surely not want to burn all the classics out so fast, when the SSB series is so successful.
So what I'm saying is, he'll try to add just a few of them in order to have a retro "drive" for future games.

That's my take on it at least.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Sorry for the disconfirm, but congrats on the assist! He still fights among Nintendo's elite!

I do indeed plan to support the VC release of his game regardless, as supporting retro franchises is always a good thing in my book. It looks pretty fun, though the similarities to Zelda 1 make me fear for my sanity, difficulty wise.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
Well I will definitely be back to support him next time if there is one. I feel a little bit better now about it, hope this week doesn't hit you all any harder in the face. I dunno if I'm ready for everyone in my list to get deconfirmed at once this week.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
My hopes for SSB5 is that we get to pit the Captain Rainbow cast (Takamaru, Little Mac, Lip) vs the Captain N cast (Megaman, Simon Belmont, Pit). :3
Michael Jones of course too.

And if they insist on taking the game to another level, I think it's about time we get some 6-8 player action around here.
-

Like I said before in another thread. I think Sakurai wants to keep the retro characters to a minimum, and give the popular characters all the priority they need, because popularity comes and goes, but classics are forever. :) (and limited too).
And he'll surely not want to burn all the classics out so fast, when the SSB series is so successful.
So what I'm saying is, he'll try to add just a few of them in order to have a retro "drive" for future games.

That's my take on it at least.
Thing is, we dont have a retro yet!!!! xD

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, we dont have a retro yet!!!! xD
Hmm, that's true, Taka seemed like the absolute most likely Retro rep, and there should be at least one in each game as a newcomer, Mac, Pac and Meg don't really count.
Lip could have worked too, but she's already practically disconfirmed since her stick is still an item, Balloon Fighter is probably in a similar situation since his signature balloons have been swiped by Villager.
I don't know of any other retro characters that have enough prominence,
Sukapon is cool but he was only in 1 game that doesn't have as much of a cult following as NNMJ
then again, if R.O.B could get in when he is less a character and more a peripheral, .... hm....
..........ALL HAIL THE VITRUAL BOY!!

Virtual Boy for Smash 4!!

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Hmm, that's true, Taka seemed like the absolute most likely Retro rep, and there should be at least one in each game as a newcomer, Mac, Pac and Meg don't really count.
Lip could have worked too, but she's already practically disconfirmed since her stick is still an item, Balloon Fighter is probably in a similar situation since his signature balloons have been swiped by Villager.
I don't know of any other retro characters that have enough prominence,
Sukapon is cool but he was only in 1 game that doesn't have as much of a cult following as NNMJ
then again, if R.O.B could get in when he is less a character and more a peripheral, .... hm....
..........ALL HAIL THE VITRUAL BOY!!

Virtual Boy for Smash 4!!
My Heart has sank at the disconfirmation of Taki but you raise a good point who is the retro character? Sakurai does say he tries to revive one Retro character per game so its really a question of who is it but I think it will be a WTF Retro rep since Sakurai said Wii Fit Trainer is not the joke character of this game but I'm hoping for a character like Prince Sable Mr.Gimmick Uniracer? the excitebikers Just someone who would fit the bill

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
Sad he's an assist. Though he is in the game! He looks great in HD, and I am happy he is at least acknowledged to exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom