• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Releases 'Nintendo Minute' Video From EVO 2014

I wouldn't say nintendo has really supported the melee scene with their recent endeavors. Perhaps the melee comm got a little exposure, but it was all overshadowed by advertising for smash 4. All their "sponsoring" of evo seemed to be was using it as a plug to say "melee is cool and all, but smash 4 is gonna be on 3ds."

Acryte

Smash Ace
They argue L canceling is dumb because its a artificial tech barrier, since there's no situation where you don't want to do it. Also, its easier to have lower landing lag on all chars too.
Correct, but take brawl and realize how much more offensive it might be if every aerial could be L cancelled to have half the lag if currently does. I'm saying that because they don't put much thought into balance on a frame advantage level, you stand much more likely to receive a strong competitive fighter that promotes offense when including it. It makes up for the lack of the programmers caring about making tournament viable characters.

Ornstine

Smash Cadet
NNID
Faroose
3DS FC
3454-1164-7348
I dont care about Smash 4 being some exact carbon copy of melee because were not gonna get that. These melee only elitist people who spit at anything thats not exactly melee are just dumb for criticizing smash 4 i mean for peat sake they criticized project m for not being exactly like melee and thats a mod MADE to be melee for the brawl roster! Smash 4 is not made to be melee and even if it was these mooks will still complain that its not the exact same.

Smash 4 is gonna be great competitively as long as it has the necessities that are: More hitstun, Moves that follow in for combos, Faster Falling, And a more offensive based gameplay. We got the hitstun and faster overall gameplay compared to Brawl but people say in the E3 demo the moves seemed to make it hard to follow into combos because of the launch power of those moves and based off of the gameplay of Hbox vs Zero people said it looked super campy, defensive and overall boring to watch. For the launch power of A/B moves and grabs negating follow up for combos there were still many moves that went into combos and people have to understand THAT WAS A DEMO Im sure this problem is being addressed plus i watch some gameplay of Mario Luigi Sheik and other characters and they followed into combos pretty smoothly sure its not these super drill waveshine upsmash combos but for everyone who played this its their first time so combos are just not gonna magically fly out. Combos are still possible. Yes i know i would like "more" follow ups for attacks mostly from grabs but theirs still combos in the game none the less more combos will be discovered after the games release im only hoping they made grabs more combo potential but other then that the combos are fine.

Now for the thing that most people scoff at the slow gameplay. Ok obviously its slower then melee and PM because its in-between brawl and melee but the real question is is this gameplay gonna be some defensive snore fest like in brawl? No honestly it looked pretty great zero was just playing defensively cuz he didnt want Hbox to bop him last stock. yeah i know i hate the brawl air dodges and the rolls look a tad fast so that makes more invincibility frames which im not to thrilled about but i heard the air dodges are indeed getting nerfed so thats great maybe slowing down the rolls would be a good idea i think so remember this was only a demo so the rolls could be slowed down i only hope other then that tho the game seemed like it was a pretty fast pace dont go saying Oh boy a camp fest or just defensive play cuz theirs defensive play and camping in both melee and pm and theirs certainly offensive play in Smash 4.

I could say L-Canceling might be a necessities too as Characters like Ganondorf and Bowser are gonna have endlag for days if it isnt in just like in brawl (as Ganondorf was bottom tier just because of it) But there is auto cancel confirmed to be in and maybe they will decrease the endlag this is a difficult topic we just need more info on it. Its really is peoples main concern because they think No L-Canceling = Defensive smash bros. because approaching would be too difficult. IMO L canceling would be great if it was in the game but if not im sure they would make up for it.

But its all up to sakurai and honestly im not a big fan of the guy hes pretty stubborn and when he made those comments about the competitive players in a whole and made it a mission to get rid of competitive smash bros it just kinda left a sour taste in my mouth about him but maybe he will come through i mean he could have just made brawl 2.0 and still made money but he added hitstum and combos and all that jazz so maybe there is hope for L-Canceling and better grabs for combos and options around defensive play who knows we can only wait for release.

Finsishing up my big multi paragraph opinion about the games fate i thinks its gonna be great maybe the gameplay will never top melee or PM but it gonna be pretty damn close and still be loads of fun

Darknut

Smash Cadet
I'd rather be an optimist than a cynical pessimist to be honest. I find its MUCH better for my mental health in the long run.
Yeah, more generally satisfied with life, end up happier overall and are more positive, upbeat, more likely to be successful, happily married etc etc. Anyways I don't really care to nitpick. I'm going to have a ton of fun with the new Smash REGARDLESS of how it ends up being viewed by the competitive scene relative to melee.

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, but these interviews seem too phony to me.
That's because the Nintendo Minute interviewers are garbage at interviewing. But that's on par with 99% of the interviews I've seen done by the Smash community itself. It's what happens when the interviewers are a bunch of amateurs.

Last edited:

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Um... There's no truth to any of this.

That gif on the second page actually makes me like Lucina more than I did originally, for some weird reason.

Oh, and there's no truth to any of what you said, either. Hooray, I win! (Until you say there's no truth to this message, which will bring us back to a stalemate again. You wouldn't do that, though, would you? You wouldn't attempt to nullify the statement of someone wearing glasses, would you?)

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Twilight Princess was amazing.

The world needs more people like you, we need to spread a cloud of negativity and senseless bashing all across the world, Brawl was a great game with a ton of shortcomings, Smash4 will be polished and better, and there are multiple reports of the 3DS version (Closer to finished) being faster and snappier, with lower landing lag. But it doesn't matter how much good things you hear about the game, you'll keep bashing Nintendo, Sakurai and Smash4, go back to Melee and leave this game alone!
meh i'll bite since i didnt clarify and got like, my 6th infraction for that lolz. http://smashboards.com/threads/remembering-brawl.357684/#post-16863825 an older post summing up my opinion on brawl, pretty much everything about it except the gameplay was legit

I don't know if I was supposed to laugh at this... But I did. Lol

You're like a caricature of Melee elitists.
you damn right i'm the ultimate melee elitist fear my biased opinions! except i havent owned melee or played one in maybe 2-3 years, brawls gameplay was ass but there were many other things it did better than melee for sure. i like melee but i damn sure had my issues with it as well, refer to my above link mkay? you can call me a pm elitist though
Have fun sticking to a 12 going on 13 year old game which will most likely stop running at EVO in two maybe three years! ;) Oh and are you by chance Dylan Tnga?
Thats a bold prediction to make for melee, most would say it's in a renaissance period of sorts, gaining MOR and MOR steam and support from all around. but we'll see how long that lasts.
Had to google that dylan guy. yeah sure whatever
Pay attention to all the likes your post didn't get. You can learn from them.
gasp! i noticed i didnt get any approval for my opinion from nerds. must commit hara-kiri brought much shame to my scene thx for telling me bai
[spoiler/]
feel free to tell me my opinion is bad and that i should feel bad guys, i'll be here all week.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
you damn right i'm the ultimate melee elitist fear my biased opinions! except i havent owned melee or played one in maybe 2-3 years, brawls gameplay was *** but there were many other things it did better than melee for sure. i like melee but i damn sure had my issues with it as well, refer to my above link mkay? you can call me a pm elitist though
I didn't say you were a Melee elitist, nor did I say you play or own Melee, nor did I say you were biased, nor did I say anything about Brawl. What I said is that you're like a caricature of Melee elitists, which I thought was funny. Your post was funny. It was very exaggerated and extremist. Full of paranoia. I honestly thought it was a joke when I first read it, but apparently you were serious. I mean, you can't be that close-minded and short-sighted can you? How can you start a post with "You guys just don't get it" and expect anyone to take you seriously. How is it possible that someone could take such a positive article and video and find a way to spin it into something negative. It's okay to have a strong opinion about something, but there's a time and place for everything, and this was not the place for such a negative post. A post that makes so many baseless assumptions.

Last edited:

Garrett Williamson

Smash Rookie
I like that Nintendo probably doesn't support wavedashing but all you hear in the background is the repeated jumping grunts from various characters.

And the start with Luigi just sliding all over the place lol
Personally I love wavedash and I haven't been keeping up with what early players have been reporting so I don't know if there is wavedash but I sure would appreciate it.

But I have a strong feeling wavedash won't be in Smash Bros. 4.

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo Minute is still inferior to Nintendo Week, I miss that show.

Last edited:

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
you guy's just don't get it huh?
it doesn't matter how much nintendo wants to support and listen to the competitive scene, or casual scene or even the casual elitists because it's all in sakurai's hands.Doesn't matter if you shake Reggie's hand or get to have a constructive sitdown with Iwata or any other nintendo bigwig. Sakurai's still gonna make the game promote campy defensive play with god awful brawl airdodges years of lag on aerials a couple ridiculously broken characters,with the most advanced technique being *wait for it* running up and shielding, if he feels like it. Must be that idiotic bowl cut he rocks keeping him from listening to reason and fogging up his brain on what a fun, yet advanced and competitive game really could be like.
I actually laughed. Thank you.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
This is good, and I don't see why nintendo shouldn't support the smash comunity. At the end of the day, is benefecial for both sides, nitendo can get more attention, marketing, and sales because of that and the smash comunity can get more viewers, players, sponsors and maybe even more jobs for people as more money gets involved in the game and tournaments get even larger and whatnot.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Have fun sticking to a 12 going on 13 year old game which will most likely stop running at EVO in two maybe three years! ;) Oh and are you by chance Dylan Tnga under a new account name?

IIRC, I think SmashBoards also got a mention in the September 2005 issue of Nintendo Power.
Why does this get a warning when all of the Brawl 2 posts didn't, smh

Top Bottom