• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Japan Releases Preview Video of Smash 3DS

drewhockley

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4339-2953-4831
Damn I wish NOA would translate this already

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Why not? It's a pretty spectacular roster; I'm actually surprised we have so many characters. There are 49 in the leak, correct?

S64: 12
Melee: 26
Brawl: 35 (or 39 if you count Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS as separate)
Smash4: 40 officially confirmed so far, 51 in the leak, counting the 3 types of Mii as separate. That's a lot of characters!

Sakurai has talked about the exponential difficulty with increasing the roster by 1 character -- all matchups need to be tested, all game-modes and items etc... Plus they're two different games (3ds and wiiU) that both need development and testing.

There's a whole lot more to the game than the character roster, and honestly at a certain point it doesn't add much value to the game to throw in another character.

The whole "all-star mode is unlocked" thing seems like an unlikely complaint to me. It looks like we've just seen screenshots/clips of the game that Nintendo sent to the ESRB. The shots might have nothing to do with each other. A screenshot of the menu with a "locked" icon is just an example of the menu, the roster screen was probably the full roster so that the ESRB can know there's no hidden character that might change the rating. Just my guess.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Why not? It's a pretty spectacular roster; I'm actually surprised we have so many characters. There are 49 in the leak, correct?

S64: 12
Melee: 26
Brawl: 35 (or 39 if you count Pokemon Trainer, Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS as separate)
Smash4: 40 officially confirmed so far, 51 in the leak, counting the 3 types of Mii as separate. That's a lot of characters!

Sakurai has talked about the exponential difficulty with increasing the roster by 1 character -- all matchups need to be tested, all game-modes and items etc... Plus they're two different games (3ds and wiiU) that both need development and testing.

There's a whole lot more to the game than the character roster, and honestly at a certain point it doesn't add much value to the game to throw in another character.

The whole "all-star mode is unlocked" thing seems like an unlikely complaint to me. It looks like we've just seen screenshots/clips of the game that Nintendo sent to the ESRB. The shots might have nothing to do with each other. A screenshot of the menu with a "locked" icon is just an example of the menu, the roster screen was probably the full roster so that the ESRB can know there's no hidden character that might change the rating. Just my guess.
This makes sense to me. I agree with your reasoning, even if it means we get no Golden Sun or Tales of Symphonia rep.

Top Bottom