• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I feel like I've died and gone to heaven.

Look at that sexy GCN controller + adapter

It's what I've wanted. Thank you Nintendo T_T

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
So yeah. Some people will hate it, some people will love it. As long we can all enjoy it and hold no grudges. Nintendo is just doing what he thinks is best to promote the game, not to make just an standard tourney.

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
Was i the only one who was expecting some surprise at "playable characters"? man, i need to stop this paranoia. also, the video was awesome, i'll look forward to watch the tournament stream.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm personally not bothered by the player list. While I know who the biggest players are and how they aren't all here, I only casually watch tournaments the odd time (I've always been a "I'd rather play than watch" kinda guy), so I admit I may not have much of a place to say anything on the matter, but I feel like we should at least be grateful that they looked at the competitive scene at all. There's also the fact that the players who were eventually picked were likely not the only ones asked, and other players asked may not have been able to participate for personal reasons. That's just me trying to rationalise things, but I think we should consider that as a possibility before we upset ourselves over who was picked. I think it's also really important that we make sure to support the players who were picked. We not only need to show Nintendo that we respect each them and their efforts, as well as respect the E3 audience, but we need to show that we respect each other, and we should support the representatives they have chosen, even if we may not normally like those people. Even if just for this one event, we need to all be on the same side, and put overzealous rivalries to the way side. How this tournament goes and how we treat it could potentially pave the way for more support from Nintendo in the future, which would be amazing.

I will say - I am so glad to hear D1 is commentating, he is a amazing at what he does! I also quite like Prog, so I'm REALLY happy about those choices! :D

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Almost everything about this is absolutely amazing, with only a couple missteps along the way. Some very important Smashers are missing, but the list is still quite good. Plus, they NAILED IT with the announcers and GCN controller adapter. To me, the "4-player free-for-all" and "items: on" rule set seems like a reasonable compromise between the competitive scene and the way that Nintendo wants to market the game. I am very happy.

Last edited:

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Everyone thank nintendo for this, this is amazing that they pulled through and pleased the competitive community and the casual community at the same time.

SuperSalamence

Smash Cadet
NNID
T-Flex
3DS FC
5455-9990-9310
No M2K? No Mang0? No Armada!?!?!?!
I don't think including M2K would be all that smart considering how he isn't afraid to voice his opinion. Sure, it's cool to see him play and all, but he probably wouldn't hesitate to point out all of the games flaws then and there right in front of Nintendo's reps (have you heard him talk about Brawl?). I personally don't want one of the biggest faces in the competitive smash community to be heard trashing the new game and potentially hinder our chances of gaining more support from Nintendo. Mango and Armada would be fine though; I think they know how to behave.

link2702

Smash Champion
....I'll be damned....they got it right and chose some actual real competitive players.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Maybe Nintendo finally realized that WE, the hardcore, competitive players, buy their games and accessories more frequently and in larger numbers than the casual audience they previously were aiming at. This could be a great step in the right direction for them as a company. I'm itching to see their next step.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
For those interested, the announced characters not playable at the invitational:

Ike
Charizard
Yoshi
Sheik
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Dedede
Toon Link
Peach
Luigi

Hopefully this saves someone some time.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
And with that, the Smash scene just exploded, in a good and bad way.

BUT WHO THE HECK CARES!?!?! HYPPPPPEEE!!!!

D

Deleted member

Greninja is one of the characters? No there's no way they'll leave him out of the demo! Right?

One can only hope though that that black Gamecube controller with the smash logo will be released.

Regardless, GET ON BOARD!

Last edited by a moderator:

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
Well, I was kinda hoping to see more "familiar" faces, like Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, Dr.PP, Salem, Nairo, Ally, etc. I don't even know who are like half of those.

And for the rules, they want to show both casual and competitive sides of Smash. Very nicely done.

The best thing was the selection of announcers and the GameCube Adapter!

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know any of the players, announcers, or host, but Nintendo still did a good job of making this a really hyped up announcement. Just seeing that beautiful Smash GC controller and adapter was glorious enough. Seeing the game in action will be icing on the cake for me.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I can't be the only one hyped about watching aMSa, right?

when I watched him at that one tournament with his yoshi, I instantly liked him.

Top Bottom