• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
The time has come! Nintendo has just announced details of the Super Smash Brothers Invitational @ E3. The ruleset, players, and commentators have all been introduced through a YouTube video uploaded today. There is a special announcement waiting for fans at the end of the video - be sure to watch the whole thing!

The Players

The players chosen for the E3 Invitational are listed below, in order of appearance:

Lilian "milktea" Chen
Hugo "HugS" Gonzalez
Ken "LiquidKen" Hoang
Daniel "LiquidKDJ" Jung
Neha "Lilo" Chhetri
Hendrick "DJNintendo" Pilar
Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer
Sam "PeachyHime" McNaughton
Juan "Crs.Hungrybox" DeBeidma
Kevin "PewPewU" Toy
Kevin "EG PPMD" Nanney
Dakota "TheRapture" Lasky
Cristin "Crismas" DeSaro
McCain "MacD" LaVelle
Masaya "VGBC | aMSa" Chikamoto
Gonzalo "CT ZeRo" Barrios

The Commentators

The commentators chosen for this event are some of the best in the business. Any Smasher that enjoys watching tournament streams will recognize these names immediately.

Wynton "prog" Smith
Bobby "Scar" Scarnewman
D'Ron "D1" Maingrette

Wynton "Prog" Smith Speaks Up, along with co-hosts Scar and D1!

The Rules

The ruleset for this tournament is a mix of casual and competitive thinking. The bracket will be single-elimination, with matches featuring 4 players with 4 stocks each, and a 5 minute timer, with the top 2 advancing to the next round. The first three rounds will have items on, and the last round will be played on Battlefield with no items. As an interesting twist, players will select their characters through a special draft, and will then use that character for the duration of the tournament. Players will pick a number out of a hat 1 to 16, and will then pick their characters in that order. However, not all announced characters will be available for selection - Ike, Charizard, Yoshi, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Lucario, Dedede, Toon Link, Peach, and Luigi will not be participating in the Invitational.

For the full ruleset, take a look at the official Nintendo explanation!

The Gamecube Controller

Nintendo has developed a Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U. It was only teased in the video, but this is great news for competitive Smash Brothers fans reluctant to learn a new control setup. It appears that it will also be wired! The adapter plugs into the Wii U through 2 USB ports, meaning that tournaments will not have to worry about wireless cross-ups!

So many announcements! What do you think of the players chosen? Do you like the ruleset? Voice your opinions in the comments below!

Super Smash Bros Invitational @ E3
*Writer's Note* If you use Twitter, please thank Nintendo for putting on this amazing event with the hashtag #thankyounintendo. Let them know you appreciate the work they have put into all of this!

The Derrit is actually way too pumped for this. Viva Nintendo! Follow me on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Anyone else want to cry? I want to cry, lets all cry together

(also the goosebumps won't go away)

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
Y'know. That Gamecube adapter is the best Smash News since the direct. So happy Nintendo are still rolling with the GC Controller.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
So Checklist

REAL SMASHERS

WIRED GAMECUBE CONTROLLER SUPPORT

REAL ANNOUNCERS

Awkward Host

Awkward Rules (until the Grand Finales)

Eh, its not perfect but god Damn I will take it!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
That Controller Adapter, it's so good. Nintendo knows how much we wanted this. Props to them.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
At this point, the Gamecube controller should just be Nintendo's official controller, I am serious. That thing over a decade old and Nintendo is still letting work

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Dorito pope for host? Ugh.

And i was wondering why Milktea and Lilo suddenly came out of the wordwork, though everything else seems great :)

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
Everything about this was hype!!! Soany great players! It will be a little unorthodox with 4 players and items, but hey, if Nintendo is hosting a smash tournament, I'm not going to ckmplain. And they get to use the gamecube controller! I can die happy now, or at least after I finish watching ;)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE!!!!!!!

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
**** list, **** host, rip smash. gcn ports are nice and the fact that gfs are on bf might mean that bf will be available in for glory maybe

zero vs amsa gfs, calling it

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Something like this may not only changes a purchase of this game for a lot of people, but it may even be a deciding factor for some people to buy a Wii U if more games will support this Gamecube adapter. This certainly is a revolution.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Kinda was hoping M2K would be chosen, but still a nice line up. Mega Hype!

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Wait one more thing.... how the hell Zero make it in but M2K is nowhere to be found? Whats up with that

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
They HAVE to bundle that sexy adapter with the game when it comes out.

Nintendo has ALL of my money right now.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That gamecube controller port. I need to change my pants. No wonder Sakurai showed off the steamy characters yesterday...

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
NO MEW2KING? WHAT? You put ****ing Toph (no offense, I just think he's an ***hole) but not Mew2King or Mango? Well, at least you brought aMSa. The Gamecube Adapter sent chills through my body, not gonna lie. Does this mean we're also going to see Gamecube controllers in stores again? I hope so!

D

Deleted member

I'm glad with the player turnout.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I've read the list ten times..

Where's M2K?!??

Last edited:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Couple of people I didn't expect on the invite list but Nintendo exceeding all my expectations.

I'm more hyped they got great casters. D1 and Prog making it big, congrats

Sexy bedroom GC adapter? HHNNGGG

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
This is the closest thing the smash community gets to getting a royal baby

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You couldn't ask for better commentators than Prog, Scar, and D1. The player choice I think is a great balance of people who represent the community in a positive and skilled light. The approach to the tournament is appealing to both casual and competitive players. Everything about this is handled with such tact and respect. The Gamecube controller port is brilliant, and that controller looks beautiful. It's just too much for me right now. This god damn game.

:093:

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
Can we just take a few moments just to glorify the sheer beauty that is the the new GameCube controller? The Smash logo just makes it all the more beautiful!!!!! :love::love::love::love:

PaperX

Smash Cadet
*I like to say inappropriate things. I should feel bad about putting something like this where kids might read it.*

- PaperX

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazkip

Smash Master
I'm just disappointed there's no Canadians on that list :(

But in other news, IS THAT A USB PORT THE ADAPTER PLUGS INTO? WILL THIS WORK ON PC?

Top Bottom