• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announced as an Official Sponsor for Evo 2014

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
For those who are new to the fighting game community, Evo (Evolution Championship Series) is the largest fighting game tournament in the world featuring players from across the globe. It is a tournament that is also set to break attendance records for Super Smash Brothers Melee with 970 people pre-registered for the event.

It comes as no surprise to see Smash back at the Evo stage after the massive success it found last year--breaking viewership and attendance records at the time. What does come as a surprise however, is the announcement that Nintendo is officially sponsoring Evo 2014. With the E3 Smash invitational showcasing the competitive community to the world and positively highlighting the potential of their tournaments to Nintendo, this may be the next big step towards Nintendo embracing the tournament scene.

Here is the offiicial sponsorship deck released on the Evo website:

Although it is still unclear as to what involvement Nintendo will have in the event, this is massive progress for the competitive Smash Bros. community to see the Big N on board with Melee's biggest event of all time.
What do you think this means for the future of competitive Super Smash Bros.?

--

Toronto Joe is an eSports lover and FGC competitor/content creator + more. He likes traveling, gaming, and also you. You can find him on twitter @TorontoJoeSSB

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
This is so cool.
Nintendo comes much closer to the fanbase, and I'm really happy about that.

pickle962

Smash Lord
It means we can expect Reggie to kick all of our asses from now on for his body is the only one that is truly ready for Smash :p

D

Deleted member

Oh my god...

Is this real?

Am I dreaming?

Because if this is real, this is great news!

Last edited by a moderator:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
2013: Nintendo wanted to shut down Melee at EVO.
2014: Nintendo sponsors EVO.

Yeah. Huge progress.

Last edited:

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is awesome! It's great to see Nintendo finally recognize the Smash community's legitimacy.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how I feel about this. Obviously this is great news by itself, but looking at the Brawl-esque nature of Smash 4 and the invitational at E3, it sort of seems like Nintendo is simply trying appeal to the Smash community by throwing money and large events at us instead of actually talking with the community and seeing what we want.

Granted, they did exactly that with the Best Buy thing they had going on and apparently employees even took down some notes. It is possible Nintendo is just sponsoring Evo in order to be able to pressure them into running Smash 4 instead of Melee next year, though. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Pfffft, I saw all of that, but really, I'm pretty damn happy about all of this.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Realize that this most likely means that Evo will def have smash 4 next year over melee unless they have both games.
It would make sense if Melee was there with smash 4 because Melee the main reason why this is all happening. In fact I think it would be insulting at this point if Melee was removed immediately when Smash 4 was introduced.

Even if Smash 4 turns out to be a better game you have to give credit to the Melee scene for it's undying dedication, it's great documentary, sponsorships and media coverage to seemly overpower it's sequel for competitive dominance.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't know how I feel about this. Obviously this is great news by itself, but looking at the Brawl-esque nature of Smash 4 and the invitational at E3, it sort of seems like Nintendo is simply trying appeal to the Smash community by throwing money and large events at us instead of actually talking with the community and seeing what we want.

Granted, they did exactly that with the Best Buy thing they had going on and apparently employees even took down some notes. It is possible Nintendo is just sponsoring Evo in order to be able to pressure them into running Smash 4 instead of Melee next year, though. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Pfffft, I saw all of that, but really, I'm pretty damn happy about all of this.
Thanks for that Debbie Downer.
On a brighter note, this is awesome news! I highly doubt Nintendo is going to invest in something and not do their research. They obviously listened to the competitive scene, hence we have this. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of involvement they are going to have.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Thanks for that Debbie Downer.
On a brighter note, this is awesome news! I highly doubt Nintendo is going to invest in something and not do their research. They obviously listened to the competitive scene, hence we have this. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of involvement they are going to have.
Let's not forgot who they had at the tournament either, each of those players were hand picked from the entire timeline of smash. I almost want to say this holds more insight to how deeply rooted Nintendo is with the smash scene in order for them to have this capability.

Last edited:

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
Warning Received
Ladies and Gents,
The time is now. History is about to be made. Let's get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
GOOD PEOPLE OF SMASH, YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS. THE NEXT STEP, THE FUTURE.

Nintendo hosted melee world championships, Smash is next Dota.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This new though. My goodness. I can't handle this. They need to put on more tournaments. Please. THE HYPE IS REAL.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
This is a huge step forward for Nintendo and the Smash community. Good things are on the way, as long as we get Nintendo on our side, we don't need MLG.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Today is good day to live. I mean, Nintendo is here supporting the competitive players.

I know Smash 4 is not Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 but who cares about this crap. Smash 4 is getting triple the appeal of competitive scene than those two together. And thanks to Smash 4, we doing real progress in the competitive scene, twice bigger! I know there gonna play melee tournaments again but Smash 4 make justice to that and all its fans. Thanks Nintendo and everyone!

I have question, is Sakurai is gonna be there watching...or one of its own worker. I hope they can see the battles and make progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom