• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announced as an Official Sponsor for Evo 2014

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
The divide in this community is trouble they may not want to be dealing with. Instead of making the effort to create a decent competitive game, I'm sadly expecting them to try and creep into tournament scenes and creating their own tournaments that involve items, free for all. and banned stages like in the invitational. Basically, if you can't break the competitive scene, you outnumber them with a "new" so-called competitive scene. However, this time around, they will control how people play.

It's a pretty scary thought to be honest.
You think of Nintendo as something like Microsoft or EA...and they're creating a decent competitive game, it's called Smash4.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Who knows, Nintendo may even do a character announcement at evo 2014 or maybe a new demo Build of Smash 4 with some gameplay tweaks.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I don't know how I feel about this. Obviously this is great news by itself, but looking at the Brawl-esque nature of Smash 4 and the invitational at E3, it sort of seems like Nintendo is simply trying appeal to the Smash community by throwing money and large events at us instead of actually talking with the community and seeing what we want.

Granted, they did exactly that with the Best Buy thing they had going on and apparently employees even took down some notes. It is possible Nintendo is just sponsoring Evo in order to be able to pressure them into running Smash 4 instead of Melee next year, though. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

Pfffft, I saw all of that, but really, I'm pretty damn happy about all of this.
You're saying this as if EVO can't host both Melee and Smash 4.

Yori

Banned via Warnings
This is AWESOME! Maybe this means they'll try to make the new Smash competitive too?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
You think of Nintendo as something like Microsoft or EA...and they're creating a decent competitive game, it's called Smash4.
So far, Smash 4 is nowhere near what the larger competitive community wants.

Mind you, I have these doubts because Nintendo instilled them into me. with their recent behaviour. If they do what needs to be done to actually repair their relationship with the community, I will be one of the first to commend them on it.

However, with Mr. Sakurai in charge... ish...

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
This is crazy. Last year they tried to take Melee down and now they're embracing it. Nintendo sure has changed in the past year. They've fully embraced their fans. Truly, it is a beautiful day in the gaming world.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So far, Smash 4 is nowhere near what the larger competitive community wants.

Mind you, I have these doubts because Nintendo instilled them into me. with their recent behaviour. If they do what needs to be done to actually repair their relationship with the community, I will be one of the first to commend them on it.

However, with Mr. Sakurai in charge... ish...
How big is Melee compared to Brawl, anyway? It's pretty even here, but Japan has abandoned Melee. Perhaps Brawl is the more popular game overall?

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
How big is Melee compared to Brawl, anyway? It's pretty even here, but Japan has abandoned Melee. Perhaps Brawl is the more popular game overall?
Idk about that. Melee (EDIT: And P:M to a lesser extent) seems to be dominating Brawl in the states. Also there's Melee tourneys in Japan as well.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
In the states, Brawl is pretty much a ghost scene. The same is true for most of Canada.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Idk about that. Melee (EDIT: And P:M to a lesser extent) seems to be dominating Brawl in the states. Also there's Melee tourneys in Japan as well.
In the states, Brawl is pretty much a ghost scene. The same is true for most of Canada.
The scene is, but what about the fans? Brawl fans are immediately accepting of 4, so why can't they also be accepting of Melee? If you were a Brawl fan, but only had the choice of either Melee or nothing to get into EVO, what would you pick?

Renji64

Smash Lord
Today is good day to live. I mean, Nintendo is here supporting the competitive players.

I know Smash 4 is not Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0 but who cares about this crap. Smash 4 is getting triple the appeal of competitive scene than those two together. And thanks to Smash 4, we doing real progress in the competitive scene, twice bigger! I know there gonna play melee tournaments again but Smash 4 make justice to that and all its fans. Thanks Nintendo and everyone!

I have question, is Sakurai is gonna be there watching...or one of its own worker. I hope they can see the battles and make progress.
It is brawl 2.0 i don't see much showing that it isn't other than the new ledge stuff.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Great Progress being made by Nintendo. I wish it would translate into smash 4 with more things to appeal to competitive players.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Stop talking about the "Brawl 2.0 thing" .
Nintendo sponsoring EVO is a huge improvement to the community.

Nintendo is now a sponsor to competitive-SSB.
Don't even care if is for SSB64, Melee, Brawl or SSB4, just be happy with it.
Melee cry babies are out of control nowadays.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Why are people being so pessimistic over this? This is great! Nintendo was trying to shut Melee down ar EVO last year, and now the Big N is sponsoring EVO. I see people having scary thoughts that Nintendo has ulterior motives, but I don't think that's the case.

In fact, If Nintendo is trying to get involved with the competitive community more, maybe this means they're serious about making the changes to Smash 4 so it appeals to the competitive scene more.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Stop talking about the "Brawl 2.0 thing" .
Nintendo sponsoring EVO is a huge improvement to the community.

Nintendo is now a sponsor to competitive-SSB.
Don't even care if is for SSB64, Melee, Brawl or SSB4, just be happy with it.
Melee cry babies are out of control nowadays.
This. Thank you.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Dude, calm down. Nintendo was trying to show off all of the fame at e3. That's what e3 is about. Nintendo has seen the wrath of competitive smash before, aka last evo. There is no problem here.

Xykness

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XYKman
I've never been to EVO, but this appears to be some great news! Hopefully our community will become more recognized! Imagine if our scene grew twice as big because of things like this!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I don't know what to think of this, but I'd like to see what becomes of it. And I do wonder how much bigger it will get due to Nintendo's involvement. Some people are speculating that there will be Smash announcements made, like character reveals. I am curious, for sure.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I don't know what to think of this, but I'd like to see what becomes of it. And I do wonder how much bigger it will get due to Nintendo's involvement. Some people are speculating that there will be Smash announcements made, like character reveals. I am curious, for sure.
A character reveal at EVO would feel like some icing on the cake, and I love it. Whatever Nintendo's intentions are with this, it's a step in the right direction.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
This is AWESOME! Maybe this means they'll try to make the new Smash competitive too?
Not as long as Sakurai around. He hates Melee and everyone who plays it. I know this for a fact. I was on Friendster and I told someone that Melee is a pretty good game and suddenly these guys in all black smashed through every window in my house and knocked me out. I woke up in a van and it was pitch black. But in the darkness, there was a figure I could barely see. It became clear after a minute or so. A familiar voice asked me, "have you ever made a game?" I whimpered, "b-but Project M!" Then Sakurai tried to slit my throat with a Brawl disc, but I got away. While I was running, I heard shouts of "MELEE WAS A MISTAKE!", "PLEASE UNDERSTAND..." and "CAPTAIN FALCON WILL NEVER BE GOOD AGAIN!" It happened to other people as well, that's why people say they like Brawl. I just type about how innovative tripping is and I weep for hours 'cause I can see a shadowy figure in the window watching me. Making sure I don't touch my GameCube.

Last edited:

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Not as long as Sakurai around. He hates Melee and everyone who plays it. I know this for a fact. I was on Friendster and I told someone that Melee is a pretty good game and suddenly these guys in all black smashed through every window in my house and knocked me out. I woke up in a van and it was pitch black. But in the darkness, there was a figure I could barely see. It became clear after a minute or so. A familiar voice asked me, "have you ever made a game?" I whimpered, "b-but Project M!" Then Sakurai tried to slit my throat with a Brawl disc, but I got away. While I was running, I heard shouts of "MELEE WAS A MISTAKE!", "PLEASE UNDERSTAND..." and "CAPTAIN FALCON WILL NEVER BE GOOD AGAIN!" It happened to other people as well, that's why people say they like Brawl. I just type about how innovative tripping is and I weep for hours 'cause I can see a shadowy figure in the window watching me. Making sure I don't touch my GameCube.
Hah. Hah.
About him hating melee, he has always said melee is the sharpest game.

D

Deleted member

That's actually pretty cool. Maybe Nintendo now supports competitive Smash after the Invitational?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think you're lying, Sakurai would never roll up in a van. He'd use a landmaster.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think this is where capitalism actually comes in handy, because despite Sakurai's hesitance, NOA probably sees the potential of the market. And the market is getting bigger. Why not capitalize on that? Both the fans and Nintendo wins.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't see how you can think Nintendo isn't at least trying to appeal to the competitive community. The E3 invitational especially, but also the GC controller adapter and this sponsorship, Nintendo, at the very least, is acknowledging the competitive Smash community.

But at the same time, you have a good point about Sakurai. I think Nintendo wants to move forward with the competitive scene, but Sakurai has other ideas. It's a good thing Namco is helping this time around.
What I could see happening is Nintendo wanting to do some good PR, but doing it awkwardly because they are grossly misinformed on the subject matter. The probably blindly trust Mr. Sakurai to dish out a great game because he's been working on Smash for many years now.

On the other hand, I believe that Mr. "Smash is a party game" Sakurai may not be as inclined as Nintendo.

Top Bottom