• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announced as an Official Sponsor for Evo 2014

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
But that's how things are now, and how things will stay if the game favors the casual players. People would stick with Melee and Project M/M2, or worse, leave and SSB4 will go in the way of Brawl. Yes, it's purely hypothetical but it's a simple design choice (no, they wouldn't have to balance the game from the ground up when we're talking about speed and minor physics) that would solve those issues and possibly get SSB4 in tournaments (on the same level as Melee) as well as give it a longer life than Brawl. Not to mention keep players playing the game instead of moving on to a different, more competitive fighting game. Hardcore players prefer competition, casual players prefer fun. I'm all for a well balanced game that would unify the two groups but Sakurai favors the casual scene.

PS, If it will never happen, then maybe we shouldn't be debating this anymore and like I said, agree to disagree :)
This speed directly comes from combos. Can you imagine balanceing characters so they're balanced in a 'combos' mode and a 'no combos' mode? No way.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yes, I can actually.
Move A has fast startup, high lag, high priority, high damage. It's considered to be character A's best move on Brawl mode, but not in Melee mode because it's impossible to combo out of.

Move B has fast startup, low lag, low priority, low damage, but combos into itself easily. Best move in Melee, meh move in Brawl.

Unless everybody has an equal amount of both moves, character viability will swing wildly with the different modes.

So either A: Make three games in one and simultaneously blow the budget and delay the game to 2017.
B: Only make one character.
Or C: Give up the ridiculous idea of falsely bringing people together by just putting a switch between them instead of a disk, and abandon all the hassle you'd have to go through to make it work.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Ugh, I'm just gonna leave this here because you clearly don't understand what "agree to disagree" means -

Your really making it sound much more challenging that it would be. If choosing this were that tricky and technical we'd have no standard tournament rules. I'd be very simple, melee/pm people would play the closest to melee speed and with how open minded and easy going Brawl players are they'd probably agree just for unity sake. Or the community would split into what it was, Melee speed and Brawl speed players.

But lets not debate this, it's very much so a pipe dream/crazy idea until Nintendo releases the game.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
"Or the community would split into what it was, Melee speed and Brawl speed players."

Not split, further fracture.
That's as much a theory as this whole debate has been so.. cool story bro. I respect your personal opinion but I don't agree with it. The end.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That's as much a theory as this whole debate has been so.. cool story bro. I respect your personal opinion but I don't agree with it. The end.
Theory? Smashboards has rules against Melee vs Brawl arguing. Putting the two under the same roof would be disastrous.

And still, what's the point of giving up and just making Melee 2 and Brawl 2 instead of actually trying to fix the past games' problems?

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
As smash games are made, eventually, people will move on onto the new ones.

SF2 -> SF3, some stayed on SF2 -> people moved on with SF4
SC:BW -> SC2, some stayed for BW
Melee -> Brawl, some stayed in Melee -> Smash4?

The game isn't out yet, and people have been this negative already. I understand that change is easily viewed as a bad thing, and people are quite resistant to change, because it means leaving in our comfort zone. But it may be best to wait and give the game a chance.

At best, this game would be the only game in the series competitively in this generation (uniting and / or replacing the old Smashes).
At worst, it can live at the sides like how brawl, 64 and PM did it.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Great news!
This is fantastic news and a step in the right direction! Good job Nintendo!

Top Bottom