• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFL Thread

M@v

Subarashii!
BUMP. Since smashboards was down and all...

SOOOOO yeah.

My Steelers are ass this year. Well Todd Haley the offense is at least.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Back to Football everyone!

So far an interesting season. I like Denver and Seattle right now. Still can't believe the Seahawks held the 49ers to just 3 points. That's a tough accomplishment. Now it is time to see how the Jaguars do in Seattle lol. It's also nice to see the Chiefs at 3-0. Have to feel good for Alex Smith and Andy Reid.

I was excited for the Lions going into the season, but they've got to stop committing stupid penalties :facepalm: , dropping passes, and now add to the list missing Field Goals. Should have kept Kickalicious as a backup to Akers instead of just relying on Akers. Granted Akers is a seasoned vet and Kickalicious has no previous NFL experience, but he did go 3 for 3 from deep in the pre-season. Oh well it is what it is and congrats to the Cards for the win. That loss reminded me why it is useless to want to really follow a team with excitement.

Gotta feel bad for Cleveland Browns fans. Basically already tanked the season just two weeks in with the Richardson trade.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Indy is looking pretty good right now. It's also great to see Colin Kaepernick get blown out twice in a row and at 1-2 while Alex Smith is 3-0.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Looking forward to Week 4 in this 2013 NFL season. The Monday Night game between the Dolphins and Saints is the one I look forward to the most. I have a feeling the Dolphins are for real. They beat the Colts in Indianapolis, which is a tough task, and then defeated the Atlanta Falcons as well. I didn't expect the Saints going 3-0, but then again the only good team they've defeated has been Atlanta. Lastly, even though it was 4 years ago, the last time these two teams played the Saints pulled off an epic comeback against Miami.

I enjoy AFC vs. NFC matchups because unless the Dolphins and Saints meet in the Superbowl, they will only play each other once every four years. Before the NFL realignment in 2002 when the Texans came into the League, there were 5 teams in each division. The NFC and AFC rotated divisions every year; however out of the 5 teams in each division, only 4 teams would be played out of the 5. Sometimes a team like the Bills for example could go 4-8 years before playing an NFC team such as the Vikings.

The Patriots vs. Falcons should be another interesting game. I believe Atlanta is a very good team that just fell short of pulling out a victory against the Saints and the Dolphins. Definitely a tough start for them in the schedule, sort of how it was for Denver last year. New England hasn't played any challenging teams yet. The Falcons will be a good indicator to see if the Patriots can match up with an elite team from the past 2-3 seasons.

The Seahawks going on the road to Houston could very well be a great game. It is hard to win on the road, and the Texans are a solid team. Seattle has been the most dominant so far in my opinion. A road challenge for them will be great to see.

I'm not all that interested in the rest of the games this week. The Bears will beat the Lions, Broncos will thrash the Eagles...... I guess Dallas at San Diego could lead to some playoff implications later on, but I'm not positive about it, but it could be a nice regular season game anyhow. Ehh, who am I to say what games are relevant or not. I just want to watch some FOOTBALL!

Reizilla

Can someone tell me what happened at the end of the Pats-Falcons game?

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
NFC Freast
Lol, well, at least the Redskins were able to win today. It was cool that the schedule this week had the NFC East vs. the AFC West.

I really thought Atlanta was going to come back in the Sunday Night game against the Patriots. Hard to believe the onside kick went their way and then stopping the Patriot offense on that critical set of downs. The long catch by Julio Jones was incredible! What a great game.

Seattle pulled a nice comeback against the Texans. Good road win.

I'm glad the Lions won. Didn't expect that based on how good the Bears have been to start the season, and that the Lions would not have Burelson. Reggie Bush has been a nice addition. Now if Detroit could just win in Green Bay. The Lions ended the drought in Washington, now it's time at Lambeau. 20 years straight losing there is just flat out atrocious.

Peyton Manning is a beast! Denver Broncos are just too strong.

Glad to see Adrian Peterson have a great game against the Steelers. A good and much needed win for the Vikings. Of all my playoff picks before the regular season, of course I would have picked the Steelers to get the 2nd seed and then go to the Superbowl. I don't regret it. This just doesn't normally happen to Pittsburgh.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
peyton manning isn't even human, he's like some out of this world cyborg set to plant a bomb on the NFL this year, it's almost like he's still practicing out there, that team is just....absurdly good

the winner of the NFC Freast (i refuse to call it anything other than that for now) will have a losing record

and who explodes first, giants or steelers?

M@v

Subarashii!
Its okay, Peyton manning will self destruct in the playoffs as always.

And giants will first. Although I dont see either reaching 6 wins at this point.

Reizilla

Yes, Manning will self destruct as always. Because asking DBs to cover is just too much to expect when you can only put up 35 points on the eventual Super Bowl champs.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm very surprised Cleveland is on a three game winning streak. I will admit I am impressed with the Browns defense, but before week 3 started that offense was horrible, and to top it off they traded Richardson. I don't know how Cleveland has 3 wins in a row, but it doesn't matter because the W is what matters most. I really wish Hoyer hadn't been hurt. Hopefully E.J. Manuel is alright as well. Injuries suck.

Looking forward to Seahawks at Colts this week. I hope it is one of those nationally aired games on CBS. I really don't want to watch the Lions lose in Lambeau again on FOX. Since the Browns already played, perhaps my local CBS network will carry the Colts game I hope and not the Bengals.

Edit on Sunday, October 20th, 2013

Looking forward to Denver at Indianapolis tonight. Two good teams going head to head, I'm not sure what to expect. I think Denver will take the game, but the Colts could make it close.

I'm glad the Chiefs are 7-0. They will likely go 8-0 against the Browns next week at home. After that is a bye, and then their schedule gets tough. Two games against Denver, two against San Diego, and a road game to Washington. I think they have the Raiders one more time...then I'm not sure. It might be hard for them to get 3 wins in the last 8 games, or if they are really good then Perhaps the Chiefs could go 12-4 or beyond.

The Bengals are looking good. They got a good win in Detroit. Cincinnati should roll through the AFC North.

San Francisco is looking better as well. The rematch with Seattle will hopefully be much better at Candlestick later on.

M@v

Subarashii!
So I got an interesting problem on my hands in one fantasy team. I had drafted Chris Ivory as my flex, but he wound up taking a back seat to Billal Powell, who thankfully I was able to pick up off waivers early when I noticed the trend. He's been my RB 2 rather than my flex because my intended RB2, MJD, has been a total and utter bust. I got extremely lucky again when I got Ryan Matthews off waivers, as he wasn't doing well either....minus the past 2 weeks I've had him and he's scored 10+ per week :)

Anyyywayyy. The problem now is Ivory got a huge share of the workload last week over powell. Now I'm in the akward situation of not knowing which New York Jets Running back to start. I feel my best bet is to pay attention to the news coming out of new york to see who the feature back is. My guess is itll be Ivory next week, as the Jets had brought him in to be the starter, and probably want to try to get him back into that role, despite Powell's success. Thoughts?

Bears_x

Smash Rookie
"Looking forward to Denver at Indianapolis tonight. Two good teams going head to head, I'm not sure what to expect. I think Denver will take the game, but the Colts could make it close."

Wow what the **** happened that game. I couldn't believe the Broncos lost to the Colts. Denver really needs to fix their defense or else they will have a lot of trouble going forward. They gave up 48 points to the Cowboys and now they give up 39 to Colts. Manning can't do everything with his offense, I think 33 points is normally enough to win a game. The defense really needs to pick up the slack and then the Broncos have a very good chance at winning the Super Bowl.

Oh and who the **** would have thought that the Chiefs are the only undefeated team a few years back. This season has been crazy.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Woot Woot! I'm going to the Cowboys/Lions game at Ford Field tomorrow! I believe this game will be a thriller because both teams could use it gain some ground in the NFC. Dallas could get a stronger NFC East lead, while the Lions could stay on pace for the NFC North crown, or at least be in good position for a wildcard. It will be fun watching numerous superstars in this one: Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, DeMarcus Ware, Nick Fairley, Reggie Bush, DeMarco Murray.... and a few more.

Go Lions!

YEAH! That Cowboys/Lions game was the best NFL game I've ever witnessed live! I still can't believe the Lions came back the way they did. Dallas had the lead and the ball with under 2:00 left, but couldn't get a 1st down so they settled for a FG to make sure Detroit would need a touchdown on the last drive. Stafford's QB sneak up the middle to basically seal the game was great. I always wondered why QB's don't sneak up the middle for 1 yard very often, whether it is college or the pros. I didn't expect it in that particular case, but it is something I generally always hope for.

Megatron was simply a beast. He was catching everything and was finding ways to get open all game. The crowd would go bonkers. The leaps and tight catches made...it was cool to see, and when watching the game at the stadium, it was nice to watch Johnson get off the line of scrimmage to set himself up for plays. A lot of times on television you don't see this because the camera focus is on the QB/RB. I enjoyed watching how Dallas would set themselves up against Megatron, and how the Lions defense set themselves up against Dez Bryant.

Reggie Bush had a nice game. Bush had some nice pick up yardage.

Dez Bryant had two nice touchdowns. His first TD was a fantastic catch. It's just amazing how he snagged it between two defenders in a tight window one handed.

I'm sorry about this post being long, but this game was just a great game to watch. It was fun high fiving random Lions fans around me in my section, and then high fiving even more fans and chanting "Let's go Lions" while leaving the stadium.

Speaking of leaving games, I hate how fans leave the game too early. The majority stayed, but I still don't see why someone would pay good money for a game and leave? It drove me bonkers seeing a few Miami Heat fans doing that in Game 6 of the NBA Finals; and then wanting to get back in American Airlines Arena. Really? Lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Great game to watch, but hate to burst your bubble on a few things...

1. When the Cowboys hit that FG with a minute left, I knew they would find a way to blow it. I'm a 49er fan, but I've watched my fair share of Cowboys games in the past 5-6 years to know how this story works.

2. Teams with 4 (or 5) turnovers have only won one game...The Lions were the second to do it. Against the Cowboys? Not surprised.

3. Megatron revealed he was being single covered a lot after the game. WTF?!!!

Overall, fun game to watch...but I always know the Cowboys are going to find a way to lose. They've done it three times already this year. Lions, San Diego, and Denver.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Great game to watch, but hate to burst your bubble on a few things...

1. When the Cowboys hit that FG with a minute left, I knew they would find a way to blow it. I'm a 49er fan, but I've watched my fair share of Cowboys games in the past 5-6 years to know how this story works.

2. Teams with 4 (or 5) turnovers have only won one game...The Lions were the second to do it. Against the Cowboys? Not surprised.

3. Megatron revealed he was being single covered a lot after the game. WTF?!!!

Overall, fun game to watch...but I always know the Cowboys are going to find a way to lose. They've done it three times already this year. Lions, San Diego, and Denver.
Good points made. Just like Dallas, Detroit usually finds ways to lose games as well, which is likely why I found the comeback exciting. The only exception to this is when the Lions came back from deficits on the road in the 2011 season against Minnesota (Week 3) and Dallas (Week 4). The Lions are not as bad as they used to be, such as from 2005-2009, but last season they had many games where they would find a way to lose. The Texans game on Thanksgiving stands out as one right away in my mind. Detroit even did it this year against Arizona in week 2. I guess when two teams that find ways to lose games eventually meet up, one of them will have to continue to do so while the other will sneak out the win.

Megatron was being single covered a lot. I noticed this while watching defensive assignments on him. It doesn't make sense why. I don't know if the Cowboys defense was concerned about Reggie Bush, or something else. Bush did have a good game with 120 odd some yards and a TD, but that TD was a few yards out from the endzone.

I have no idea who will come out of the NFC East to win the division. Basically nobody is winning in that division unless the NFC East teams vs. one another. What were the wins outside of the division for each team? Washington beating Oakland, Giants beating Vikings, and Cowboys over Rams are the only ones that stand out for me. The Eagles might have defeated some team outside their division.....it was Tampa Bay. Dallas will likely come out of it since they have 3 divisional wins, but they need to stop losing close games.

M@v

Subarashii!
Tony Romo is a top 3 NFL quarterback until it actually matters. The cowboys defense seemed to catch "Romo Syndrome" in the last minute of Sunday's game.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Monte Kiffin's Cover 2 is meant to be a bend, but don't break....but that defends bends and breaks. I don't understand how you could get worse than last year, but being ranked the worst defense potentially ever will do it.

I read a stat that mentioned that only one team has given up 4 400 yard passers in one season. Cowboys have done that in 8 weeks.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Lol Romo. I think Jerrod Allen saw what Romo did. It looked like Allen was going to shove Romo on the side of his helmet or something.

lami

Smash Journeyman
I've got that Packers Bears rivalry game hype right now. Go Pack!

M@v

Subarashii!
Who's team allowed the most points in franchise history? Miiinnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also this article by a local Pittsburgh sports guy, and my comments, sum up my feelings on the whole season so far.

http://www.1059thex.com/pages/markmadden.html?article=11794552
Mostly agree with this outside of the coaching parts...I still feel Tomlin is a great coach. Haley I agree with though. Also, honestly I feel the main problem with the Steelers as of recent has been their drafting. The Steelers philosophy is to draft well, and not rely on free agency. Tell me, how's the Steelers draft class of '08 doing? Oh wait, NONE of them are left on the team. When you have a draft class within 5 years has not a single individual left on your team, that is a huge problem. And although we have gotten some hits in the draft recently (Maurkice Pouncey and Antonio Brown immediately come to mind for me), I feel its been more misses than hits. Steelers need to re-evaluate their draft philosophy, because its not working. Either re-work the way they scout players, change draft staff, or start using free agency more to positively upgrade the roster instead of using it just to fill back-end roster spots.

Reizilla

Colts beat the Broncos, might as well just hand me a Lombardi Trophy right now.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I've got that Packers Bears rivalry game hype right now. Go Pack!
haha. *walks away*

Monte Kiffin's Cover 2 is meant to be a bend, but don't break....but that defends bends and breaks. I don't understand how you could get worse than last year, but being ranked the worst defense potentially ever will do it.

I read a stat that mentioned that only one team has given up 4 400 yard passers in one season. Cowboys have done that in 8 weeks
They were playing in the 3-4 last season. They don't have the players to run a 4-3 (cover 2) style of defense; Sean Lee (cowboys MLB) is the only guy playing well due to his ability to play sideline to sideline & coverage. Middle linebackers with those skills (and speed) can only play in that defense.

:pow:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I just got home from the Buccaneers vs. Lions game. I'm not really sure what to make of it. I somewhat want to conclude it was two not so good teams going at it and Detroit lost, but Tampa has won 3 straight and it could have been 4 if they didn't fall apart in Seattle, so I don't want to take away what they did for a victory. Stafford threw 4 interceptions, with 1 being a pick 6. A Lions receiver (I think Durham) fumbled the ball on the sidelines and gave it to Tampa Bay. Despite 5 turnovers and a blocked punt against them, Detroit only lost by 3, but Tampa could have made it a 30-21 game had they made two FG's. On one of the FG misses the football sailed over the left upright, over the net, and into the stands 4-5 rows behind me and two seats to the right. A lucky fan got the ball and was protecting it like crazy. I never sat in the 100 section before, and it was awesome being that close to watch player expressions. 4 Touchdowns were at my side of the endzone.

The play of the game was the interception Tampa had to seal it for the victory. Calvin Johnson had caught the pass, and then was hit hard by Bucs McCray. Johnson lost control of the ball and another Tampa player named Banks came over to yoink it. The crowd cheered with the catch from Johnson, and then booed when the turnover occurred.

Overall, congrats to Tampa Bay on the win.

On a personal side note, my friends and I were on the Jumbotron. We were outside the stadium and took part in a challenge where there was a Ford pickup truck and attached to it was one of those linemen things where linemen push into it and drive. We drove into the lineman thing and had to push the Ford truck 10 yards. It was frigid outside so nobody was really doing it. Top two groups of 4 got to compete on the field at halftime in a race. Winning group got $400 and losing group $100. We were filmed outside and our effort was on the Jumbotron, but unfortunately we were not good enough for a top 2 placing. One of the two groups on the field went right after us outside, and beat us by a little over half a second. They won the challenge, so I wonder how close we were to compete in the challenge? Oh well lol.

Lastly, I'm still surprised Detroit is winning the NFC North at 6-5. I thought the NFC East was the worst division, now I'm starting to contemplate if the NFC North is almost as bad. If Aaron Rodgers had not been hurt, it is extremely likely that Green Bay would be winning the NFC North right now.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to the Saints vs. Panthers matchups in December. Juggernaut offense vs. juggernaut defense. It's good to see Cam Newton playing well at QB, and it is refreshing to see Steve Smith winning again. What is it for Carolina now, 7 straight wins? I'll have to check to see if Carolina has played Arizona yet.

I like the 3 way Wildcard race going on between San Francisco, Carolina and Arizona.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Wow! What a weekend of NFL football for week 14! That Vikings vs. Ravens game was a crazy finish. The Ravens might actually make the playoffs after a rough start. Baltimore is in the driver's seat. I hope the Ravens are in the playoffs because it just isn't the same without the defending Super Bowl champions, or the defending champion of any sport for that matter.

The Steelers were just literally inches away from defeating Miami. I've never known a lateral prayer to work in an NFL game, but that almost did.

M@v

Subarashii!
Wow! What a weekend of NFL football for week 14! That Vikings vs. Ravens game was a crazy finish. The Ravens might actually make the playoffs after a rough start. Baltimore is in the driver's seat. I hope the Ravens are in the playoffs because it just isn't the same without the defending Super Bowl champions, or the defending champion of any sport for that matter.

The Steelers were just literally inches away from defeating Miami. I've never known a lateral prayer to work in an NFL game, but that almost did.
Never heard of the music city miracle I'm assuming?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zg-J0q42M

Top Bottom