• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unlockable characters are great. If you started the game with everyone available from the jump I feel like you’d lose a bit of that mysticism.

With Nintendo Directs and the internet and everything it’s never gonna be like when you were a kid, when you genuinely had no clue who was in the game and every unlock was a surprise. But I still get a little of that feeling when I’m just doing some matches and then suddenly-

View attachment 388847
The fun in unlocking the characters honestly stopped at Brawl, imho. The story mode was visually appealing enough to enjoy the process of unlocking every character, versus playing the game 450 times (assuming you beat the characters on the first try), OR any of the other really silly requirements, like beating 20 events after beating SSE just to unlock ****ing Jigglypuff, or Sonic requiring 10 hours of playtime in VS mode. Sonic and Melee Mewtwo’s standard unlock conditions always drove me crazy as a kid.

Ultimate’s system of unlocking characters outside of World of Light didn’t even make sense. It was just a random order of characters you’d unlock by beating Classic Mode, or the same playtime-based timer.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PLAY FOR TEN HOURS TO UNLOCK DOCTOR MARIO?!?!?!? :sakbanjo:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They also couldn't rely on "Everyone is Here Again!" as a selling point, because it's not new and surprising anymore.
I don't know why people keep saying this. The concept of not having to worry if any of your favorite characters are being cut is an evergreen concept that will always be viewed positively by fans.

I don't understand why something that is essentially a pure good has to be "surprising" in order to be a selling point.

"The next Smash game is going to have online play again!"
"That's not new. Why should that effect me buying the game?"
"Because you'd sure as hell care if it wasn't there!"

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I mean, if you're constantly having the issue that you go to a friend's house and they don't have all the fighters....then just get on their ass about unlocking the rest since it doesn't take THAT long.
just have an unlcoka all button, its annoying and tiring for a fighting game.

especially in its first year.

i really dont care if im being selfish on this one the unlocking method sucks, its boring and grindy and way to overfilled. either do unlokcables well or better yet leave the unlockables to single player games.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I do admit to having (perhaps misplaced) nostalgia about putting on an endless vs match in Melee, leaving the Gamecube on overnight, and then waking up to Mewtwo the next morning.

Really, multiple methods of unlocking various characters might at least best fit player's preferences of progress if nothing else.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
i really dont care if im being selfish on this one the unlocking method sucks, its boring and grindy and way to overfilled. either do unlokcables well or better yet leave the unlockables to single player games.
It's also a real **** move to tournament organizers.

But then...pretty much everything Nintendo does is a **** move to tournament organizers...

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
It's also a real **** move to tournament organizers.

But then...pretty much everything Nintendo does is a **** move to tournament organizers...
whats funny is mario kart got rid of this.

in 8 you had to do a random gp to unlock every characters, randomly. not too mention unlock tracks, if you wanted to jump into a multiplayer race first you had to beat all the games content. in singleplayer

i really think forcing players to playing the single players mode in a game thats 99% a multiplayer game and is th only reason people really play it is based off competing with others its kinda silly, and they agreed since all the characters and tracks are unlocked from startup in 8 deluxe.

for me its the same thing with lives. now that we aren't in arcades why do lives exist. and thankfully both lives and unlockables in multiplayer games are being phased out for the most part in the industry.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I don't know why people keep saying this. The concept of not having to worry if any of your favorite characters are being cut is an evergreen concept that will always be viewed positively by fans.

I don't understand why something that is essentially a pure good has to be "surprising" in order to be a selling point.

I think you misunderstand me. EiH wasn't just "everyone returns", it was "we're bringing back everyone in Smash history, including characters who haven't been around in over a decade". That was a legit surprise when it first got announced, it became the linchpin of Ultimate's marketing, and now that it's happened once and fans are used to it being a thing, it wouldn't have the same impact a second time in a row. Smash 6 needs to have a different angle, something with its own identity, or else it won't be able to appeal as well.

And again, the sheer amount of work it took to make EiH happen the first time was a massive strain on development. So much that Ultimate has less new content in its base game than the past several Smash titles. Piling even more characters, stages, assists, and other content atop that would make development even more of a nightmare.

Creating this stuff isn't easy. I think too many people who haven't had game dev experience assume it must be. Realistically, we need to consider that, because expecting the devs to surpass their workload and then some, without any difficulty whatsoever, honestly feels irresponsible.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

No one said it wouldn’t be a good thing. Just that it couldn’t be used as a marketing hook anymore.

And people would be less likely to let the lack of other content slide.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
just have an unlcoka all button, its annoying and tiring for a fighting game.

especially in its first year.

I agree.

It took me like a solid week of playing Ultimate before I could even play my main on release. :4littlemac: The ones who absolutely got it the worst was Palutena mains, as she was one of the last on the list, for some reason.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
i just want to put this out there

64 missed 0 characters
melee missed 0 characters
brawl missed 5 characters
smash 4 missed 6 characters
smash ultimate missed 0 characters

now lets not count clones

brawl missed 1 characters
smash 4 decloned some characters and overall missed 4 characters

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And people would be less likely to let the lack of other content slide.
Just look at how even Nintendo's started to sell games for $70 for TotK. Do you really think most people who bought SSBU would want to pay $70 for the exact same game but with even less newcomers than base Ultimate?

And that's on top of having to pay $25-30 per each Fighter's Pass. ****'s expensive, man.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
What will happen if Piranha Plant returns if there's cuts? I think it would get very toxic fast....
I mean it depends slightly on who else gets cut, but not much. I've said this before; As a goofy meme pick in a Everyone is Here world, whatever, but in the unlikely event Smash 6 axes single fighter franchises/supplemental characters from smaller IPs (Wolf, Lucas, Palu, etc) but Plant stays, I feel like people would be justified in being kinda pissed.

Though if the cuts are just like, Corn and some of the Melee clones, that would probably lessen the reaction. I'd keep all of them over Plant but I mean, at that shared level of expendability, I can't see too many people other than me batting their eyes.

The ones who absolutely got it the worst was Palutena mains, as she was one of the last on the list, for some reason.
If I had to guess, her being last was a joke referencing her being God. Palu mains sure got cucked tho lol.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Which was a surprise to me at the time. I was fully expecting them to cut Ness and Captain Falcon from Smash SNES.
It’s just a shame they cut Gwimbly after the beta. The Sony buyout was really unfortunate timing. :4pacman:

If I had to guess, her being last was a joke referencing her being God. Palu mains sure got cucked tho lol
I mentioned Dr. Mario before this, as he’s the second-to-last on the list. I’m pretty sure it was just a random decision, because how could you intricately design unlock conditions for 60+ characters? You had to unlock all Echoes individually as well, which were also separated. Chrom is #59 at 9 hours of gameplay required outside of farming Classic Mode and WoL.

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Having to unlock every single character outside of the original 8 was just a bad call I'd say. It should have had like at least 30-40 unlocked from the start and the remaining section unlockable. That size is comparable to most modern fighting games and it worked fine for Brawl and Smash 4 without overwhelming casual players.

I think you misunderstand me. EiH wasn't just "everyone returns", it was "we're bringing back everyone in Smash history, including characters who haven't been around in over a decade". That was the linchpin of Ultimate's marketing, and now that it's happened once and fans are used to it being a thing, it wouldn't have the same impact a second time in a row. Smash 6 needs to have a different angle, something with its own identity, or else it won't be able to appeal as well.

And again, the sheer amount of work it took to make EiH happen the first time was a massive strain on development. So much that Ultimate has less new content in its base game than the past several Smash titles. Piling even more characters, stages, assists, and other content atop that would make development even more of a nightmare.

Creating this stuff isn't easy. I think too many people who haven't had game dev experience assume it must be. Realistically, we need to consider that, because expecting the devs to surpass their workload and then some, without any difficulty whatsoever, honestly feels irresponsible.
Like I said before, I think something to keep in mind is that it's pretty unlikely any new Smash game will sell as well as Ultimate. In part this is just because a Switch 2 is unlikely to sell as well as the first Switch, and there's no way it would have the same install base if whatever the next Smash game is is exclusive to it, but it's also just difficult to replicate the nonsensical levels of hype Ultimate had throughout its entire life-span, not just pre-release.

Another limiting factor of Ultimate's content is just the cartridge size, Switch cartridges are limited to under 16 GB compared to the Wii U's 25 GB disk. Part of why a port could be appealing is on the basis that the budget to create an expanded version on the same engine with all the code already available is obviously substantially less than it would be to create a full new game, and the lowered budget could be enough to offset the obviously lessened sales from releasing an expanded edition of an already released game on what's essentially the same platform. Reasonably, none of us know how expensive licensing costs are, other than "a lot", so it's difficult I think to make a proper judgement there.

Any new Smash game will struggle with matching Ultimate's sales just on the basis of releasing on a console that will already have Ultimate available digitally and will have backwards compatibility, but it also doesn't necessarily need to aim that high either. I think it's just difficult to say what the cost comparison is in terms of cutting a bunch of fighters to add some substantial singleplayer mode, and I think there's multiple angles a next Smash game could take there beyond the usual proposal of "cut X numbers of characters and go back to business as usual".

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
If the Switch 2 is indeed backwards compatible.....it makes no sense to make an Ultimate+ or whatever if you can literally play Ultimate on the system normally.

A new Smash would HAVE to be different to even justify being on the new system.

It'd be like having Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe compatible for the same system.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just look at how even Nintendo's started to sell games for $70 for TotK. Do you really think most people who bought SSBU would want to pay $70 for the exact same game but with even less newcomers than base Ultimate?

And that's on top of having to pay $25-30 per each Fighter's Pass. ****'s expensive, man.
With the massive install base Ultimate has it doesn't make sense to make them charge more money for the same game again but with more content.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
In the history of the franchise, we've only ever had two franchises cut.

One was Ice Climber. We know that the Ice Climbers were supposed to appear in Smash 4 but couldn't due to technical difficulties. They weren't supposed to be cut.

The other was Metal Gear. We don't know why it was cut, but third party legal troubles are likely the reason. We have no reason to believe Snake was intended to be included in Smash 4.

An easy conclusion to take from this is that Sakurai doesn't intend to cut first party franchises. Once they're in, they're in. The far majority of first party IPs included in Smash don't have characters. So the franchises with characters can be seen as essential, either from obvious marketing merits or historical significance. They're special in some way.

So I have to ask, why do people think we're going to lose first party franchises like the retros, Punch Out!!, Wii Fit or ARMS? Sure these franchises aren't as notable as they once were and they aren't a part of Smash's identity like Earthbound or F-Zero. But we don't have precedence that entire first party franchises will be cut out.

We do have precedence for third party franchises being cut. And we do have precedence for supporting cast members of already represented franchises being cut.

But why do people consistently suggest cutting these guys?

:ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultminmin
I'm inclined to agree that they're going to try to avoid cutting entire first party franchises.

I think the reason the ones you mentioned get proposed as cuts is
(1) a thinking that if cuts go deeper than before, then a lack of relevance could be a detrimental factor for vets more so than it has been in the past;
(2) for the ones other than ICs and maybe ROB, people perceiving higher priority for characters who have been here longer;
(3) a perception that their playstyles are more niche, less popular, or otherwise less essential.

I think (1) could be a legitimate factor at least to some extent, probably keeping these characters out of the upper echelons of safeness.
I personally don't put as much stock into (2), but especially when it comes to characters like Wii Fit or ARMS who literally didn't have the opportunity to be added until they were. Even for DH and Mac, you can kind of trace out why they got in when they did, so even if you do put stock into (2), I think these guys get disproportionately punished by it.
(3) I think is usually weakly supported at best. These characters have some of the most unique kits in the game, and represent equally unique source materials. They also appeal to different audiences that other characters don't necessarily reach. If these guys get cut, it won't be because they're failing to do things that nobody else on the roster can.

Overall, though, regardless of how seriously you take each of these factors, the bottom line is I simply think that there will be enough cuts to supporting cast members of multirep franchises and third parties to avoid cutting more than maybe a couple of single-rep first party franchises.
edit: whoops didn't mean to quote Darth there. Fixed.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think it's worth noting that it is very rare for Sakurai to outright plan to not have a character return.

In Brawl, everyone was planned to return from Melee except :younglinkmelee:, who had a functional replacement that was more relevant at the time, and :pichumelee:, who was a gag character and may or may not have had a functional replacement planned (depending on how you interpret Pra_Mai). :mewtwomelee:, :roymelee:, and :drmario: were all cut mid-development.

In Smash for Wii U/3DS, :popo: were planned but cut mid-development due to the 3DS' hardware limitations. We also know that transforming characters were cut due to the 3DS' hardware limitations, so this was presumably what did :squirtle: and :ivysaur: in. The Gematsu leak alleged that :lucas: was cut late into development, but its debatable how true this was (the leaker didn't know Chrom and the Chorus Kids were cut, but did know Lucas was despite this decision being made later in development?). The reason for :snake:'s exclusion is kind of unclear, but internal politics between Kojima and Konami is the typical explanation and it fits with Kojima going out of his way to initially get Snake in the series. That just leaves :wolf:, but it's safe to assume he was also cut due to time constraints given the lack of a functional replacement, rights issues, or technical concerns with his moveset.

My guess is the next Smash will follow a similar suit and try to do "Everyone is Here!" again, albeit with the condition that this lofty goal likely won't be reached and who is in by the time development ends is in.

For Nintendo characters, it will likely be a matter of priority like we've seen in the past. Each character will be given a relative ranking and will be worked in that order. For example, if :ultike: is ranked 30th, at least 30 Nintendo veterans will need to return for Ike to be in the base game.

For third parties, I really think that is just up to whether licensing deals get off the ground. Nintendo and Sakurai will likely put in a reasonable effort to obtain them, but it will all come to down to whether the owner of the character plays ball. Once the rights are obtained, any third parties will probably jump to the top of the priority line in the interest of making things simple legally.

In terms of the number of veterans, my guess we'll get 54 at least and 64 at most. Ultimate was able to bring back 59 characters from Smash for Wii U while stretching the Smash team, so I'm taking that figure and giving a range of +5 to -5. Echoes might skew this figure a bit, but any smaller than 54 seems like too much of a step backwards and any larger than 64 seems too unrealistic.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't quite determine what Chun-Li's overall playstyle is just by watching, but she looks like she'd be really fun in Super Smash Bros. She'd probably have Ryu and Ken's light/heavy attack system for consistency, which would make her a bit complicated, but she has some pretty cool air combos, a wall jump, and special moves that could be implemented in interesting ways. Light Hazanshou could be an anti-projectile approach tool (like what Jolt Haymaker was advertised as, while Heavy Hazanshou could be a good vertical, but bad horrizontal recovery. Light Lightning Kicks could be a combo ender and heavy lightning kicks could be a combo extender.

Even with the more technical style that Street Fighter characters seem to have, I think Chun-Li could pop off whenever she's added.

EDIT: On a similar note, do you think Ryu will get his Denjin charge mechanic or Hashogeki from Street Fighter 6? My guess would be no since you'd lose Focus Attack's utility and it'd cause problems for keeping Ken (if they cared about that), and in the case of either it would probably cause one or both characters to be retooled substantially.

EDIT EDIT: Also just...Hashogeki seems like it would be awkward as a Down Special.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
If the Switch 2 is indeed backwards compatible.....it makes no sense to make an Ultimate+ or whatever if you can literally play Ultimate on the system normally.

A new Smash would HAVE to be different to even justify being on the new system.

It'd be like having Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe compatible for the same system.
So either a brand new game with some cuts, or a spinoff/sequel like Super Bash Sisters, and i have theme ideas for both of them.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
fortnite, genshin or league

one of these three has to be in the next game to repeat Steve Which are you choosing, and who from either of these 3 are you Choosing.

I would go with fiddlesticks from leaugue,

I did write a quick moveset but it all got deleted and tbh, I don’t really feel like rewriting it

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

one of these three has to be in the next game to repeat Steve Which are you choosing, and who from either of these 3 are you Choosing.

I did write a quick moveset but it all got deleted and tbh, I don’t really feel like rewriting it
i would choose not to include any of them cause i would know you can't "repeat steve"

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

I agree.
I think Genshin is the most likely,

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace

one of these three has to be in the next game to repeat Steve
How exactly are any of them "repeating Steve"?
None of these three come even CLOSE to the success and notability that Minecraft has had.

That's like comparing a trio of T. rexes to Godzilla.
Big in their own right, but barely reaches the ankle.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Decided to throw my hat into the Ganondorf rework ring (credit to Idon Idon for the idea of Gloom as a mechanic).
Intro: Ganondorf appears from a cyclone of Gloom and slowly stands up before unsheathing his sword.

Stance/Idle 1: Ganondorf stands tall with a sword in one hand.
Idle 2: Ganondorf beckons the opponent with a single arm motion.
Idle 3: Ganondorf slightly moves his head from side to side and cracks his neck.

Notable Palette Swaps
  1. Tears of the Kingdom design (default)
  2. Wind Waker Ganondorf (orange)
  3. Violet
  4. Classic Ganon (blue)
  5. Rauru (green / white)
  6. Ghirahim (red / white)
  7. Twilight Princess Ganondorf (gray)
  8. Demon King Ganondorf (black / red)
Walk: Ganondorf walks menacingly with his sword in hand.
Dash: Ganondorf rushes forward with his sword in hand.
Damage: Ganondorf’s head recoils slightly, but the rest of his body barely even flinches.
Jump: His jump from the previous games.
Crouch: Ganondorf kneels and places his open hand on the ground.

Fighter Ability: Gloom
Ganondorf’s attacks inflict the opponent with Gloom, which deals continuous damage for a set period of time. The more damage Ganondorf has taken, the faster his Gloom deals continuous damage and the longer it lasts on inflicted opponent. Attacks that inflict Gloom are highlighted like this.

Normal Attacks
Jab: An elbow strike (5%), followed by a horizontal slash (6%, small knockback)
Forward+A: A downward arcing slash (13%, OK knockback)
Up+A: An backwards overhead arcing slash (13%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Crouch Stab; Ganondorf stabs along the ground (13%, OK knockback)
Dash Attack: A dashing downward slash (14%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Ganondorf slashes downward as he climbs back up (10%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Ganondorf slashes on both sides of himself (8%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Ganondorf twirls his spear in front of himself (17%, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Ganondorf stabs forward with his spear (18%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: A horizontal sword slash that turns Ganondorf around (19%, medium knockback)
Air Up+A: An upward arcing sword slash (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Wizard’s Assault; a Gloom-enveloped dropkick (18% with a meteor effect, medium knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: A lunging, two-handed downward club swing that emits a shockwave in front of Ganondorf (25%, medium knockback)
Up+A: An overhead 180° arcing club swing (24%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Ganondorf charges Gloom into his club and stabs the ground upon releasing B, which erupts with a shockwave of Gloom (25%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Flame Choke; Ganondorf reaches out with his Gloom-infused hand.
Pummel: Ganondorf holds the opponent above himself and infuses them with Gloom (4%)
Forwards+Throw: Ganondorf blasts the opponent with a pulse of Gloom that drops them onto the ground (12% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Ganondorf throws the opponent in the opposite direction (9%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Flame Wave; Ganondorf blasts the opponent high into the air (10%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Volcano Kick; Ganondorf grabs the opponent with his foot before following up with an explosive Gloom-enveloped kick (13%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Dead Man’s Volley
; Ganondorf infuses his open hand with Gloom and throws a slow-moving ball forward. Every time it gets sent back by an attack, Ganondorf can reflect it back with his sword by pressing B again, which speeds it up and increases the amount of damage dealt. Only one ball can be on the stage at a time.
B + ←→ : Gloom Chain; Ganondorf rushes forward with his spear, traveling a good distance and leaving behind a trail of Gloom in his wake (24%, medium knockback). When used in the air, Ganondorf leaves no trail of Gloom but travels at a slightly downward diagonal angle.
B + ↑ : Blood Rain; Ganondorf aims a bow into the sky and shoots an arrow that hits multiple times (24%, medium knockback). If the arrow doesn’t hit any opponents on the way up, it instead splits into eight arrows (8%, small knockback) that leave a flame of Gloom when they hit the ground. If used in the air, Ganondorf instead jumps high and shoots four Gloom arrows.
B + ↓ : Cycle of Malice; A single-revolution-spinning sword slash that also reflects projectiles (20%, medium knockback)

Final Smash: Demon King’s Blood Moon; Ganondorf taps into the power of his secret stone and temporarily assumes his second form. In this form, not only is he completely invincible, but all of his attacks are enhanced by Gloom, which now deals the fastest continuous damage.

Taunts
Up: “Enjoy these final moments.” Ganondorf infuses his open hand in Gloom before clenching it.
Side: “Fall!” Ganondorf extends his open arm outward, with his palm expelling Gloom.
Down: “I’ve barely gotten started.” Ganondorf infuses his open hand with Gloom and strokes his blade with it.

Winposes
1: Ganondorf laughs like a madman as a flame of Gloom alights in his open hand.
2: “You witness a king’s revival.” Ganondorf unsheathes his sword and points it toward the camera.
3: Ganondorf steps out of a tornado of Gloom, revealing his second form.

Applause: Ganondorf clenches his open fist.
Icon: Triforce
Boxing Ring Title: Great King of Evil
Star K.O.: “Rrrrraaaugh…!”
Victory Music: A snippet of Ganon’s theme
Kirby Hat: Ganondorf’s hair
Tell that to Roland Emmerich. He of all people should know that T. Rexes and Godzilla aren’t comparable.

doesn’t mean he does know lol

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
None of these three come even CLOSE to the success and notability that Minecraft has had.

I think I know the plot of the next monsterverse film

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

And Pokémon is Cthulhu. :4pacman:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Minecraft is literally the best selling game of all time. It sold over 300,000,000 copies since it first came out in 2011.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
I really don't expect many third party cuts, if at all.
I mean maybe :ulthero: and :ult_terry: but even that's stretching it a whole lot, hell, Terry might as well get in the next game due to Sakurai bias and how much he loves the SNK games.

I expect a lot more first party cuts than third party.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Nowadays the gap isn’t so massive.

Other than Fortnite I do know that total downloads and sales of all them cad surpass 150mil each with Minecraft at 300mil ish

it’s enough to repeat Steve.

these are the best series they can add to market to younger generations besides minecraft

either way. Steve will be the biggest but all of these will have the same effect. Giant massive fanbase that most game companies including nitnendo can only really dream of ammasing being added to smash.

Sometimes you shoudl appeal to kids and teens and not 40 year olds.

it’s good to strike a balance between old things and profitable new things to represent all eras of gaming

and make more money.

1 of these will be in the next smash game 100%
They already have a fanbase conditioned to paying money to get stuff in game.

Anyway here’s the stats

Minecraft has 300 Million sales
Leaugue has 180 million downloads
Fortnite has 350 million downloads
Genshin has 200 million downloads

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sakurai bias
Gotta love how this is still an argument despite outright confirmation that Nintendo is the one calling the shots.

It just so happens that some of these shots matched some of Sakurai's stuff, like Joker or Terry being from things he enjoyed or Aegis and Min Min giving him a chance to do stuff that was too late to be considered.

Sure, for something like a base game's project plan, he's probably the one thinking about things but ultimately, Nintendo can always just say no.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gotta love how this is still an argument despite outright confirmation that Nintendo is the one calling the shots.

It just so happens that some of these shots matched some of Sakurai's stuff, like Joker or Terry being from things he enjoyed or Aegis and Min Min giving him a chance to do stuff that was too late to be considered.

Sure, for something like a base game's project plan, he's probably the one thinking about things but ultimately, Nintendo can always just say no.
only for the two dlc passes. even then it still sounds like he had a fair bit of leeway

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice

When I said “Sakurai bias” I wasn’t trying to make an argument, neither was I claiming that Terry got in due to Sakurai bias, of course I know that Nintendo picked the DLC for Smash Ultimate.

Sakurai is the one who decides the base roster, and Nintendo decides for DLC but Sakurai makes the final call on whether he can develop it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
only for the two dlc passes. even then it still sounds like he had a fair bit of leeway
The leeway is that he could reject any character that was brought up. He just didn't feel there was any good reason to. It wasn't going to be for gameplay reasons at the time, though other things could've come up that we don't know about.

He is given a lot of power, but every single DLC character bar PP was not chosen by him. Though a note is Min Min was requested by the creator first(though it's pretty obvious he talked to Nintendo first, otherwise it would contradict the statements given. It's a pure logical conclusion).

Top Bottom