• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The Samsho nod would be fun, and I did want to include something like that for neutral air, but I thought the spinning animation from Hammer's Giant Swing could be applied to both the spear and parasol and fit both reasonably well. Maybe that could work as a taunt?

Bandana Waddle Dee, horror characters and Dark Souls/Elden Ring were the last couple topics.
Oooh, Horror characters! I am not into horror at all, but I would like Resident Evil!

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
You say that ironically, but lord knows what will happen if certain characters return in the next game, like Piranha Plant, Incineroar and Corrin, and it's not doing "Everyone is Here" again. 😔
While I'm indifferent on Corrin and would outright laugh over Incineroar's return, I think I would pretty much be like this if I saw Plant show up even though it's one of my most used fighters:

I mean, it means I could still play Plant, but like....why did Plant get prioritized in comparison to others in that scenario?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pyramid Head feels like a decent fit for Smash. Its design is very iconic and doesn't need to get toned down all that much. It can also represent the essential "monster" part of horror games, since the actual protagonists don't really have any particularly special abilities usually. Plus he's the character that usually shows up in crossovers. And Silent Hill itself, while not as big as Resident Evil, doesn't really need introductions.
Pyramid Head would make a terrible Fighter, but a perfect Assist Trophy.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Incineroar? I'm surprise people have that much of a problem with him.
The only problem some people have with Incineroar is that he's not Decidueye because a fully evolved grass starter felt "mandatory" to them

If you're not one of those people, congratulations, you're able to see that Incineroar was a really fun addition.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
While I'm indifferent on Corrin and would outright laugh over Incineroar's return, I think I would pretty much be like this if I saw Plant show up even though it's one of my most used fighters:

I mean, it means I could still play Plant, but like....why did Plant get prioritized in comparison to others in that scenario?
Just like when Smash 4 came out...
1714694506067.png

History really does repeat itself.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The only problem some people have with Incineroar is that he's not Decidueye because a fully evolved grass starter felt "mandatory" to them

If you're not one of those people, congratulations, you're able to see that Incineroar was a really fun addition.
I saw Incineroar as fun.

That said, those wanting a fully evolved grass starter must have been hit hard since they did not think Incineroar would get in.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

For a second there, I forgot Grinch Leak. Nevermind this post, there's a LOT more to hating Incin than just "HE AIN'T GRASS"

....though the not grass part is still true.

Still hilarious that people would blame Incineroar rather than whoever made that fake leak though.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
For a second there, I forgot Grinch Leak. Nevermind this post, there's a LOT more to hating Incin than just "HE AIN'T GRASS"

....though the not grass part is still true.

Still hilarious that people would blame Incineroar rather than whoever made that fake leak though.
That's not even everything.

So first of all, Incineroar was already a controversial design. Then you have the scorned Decidueye fans who weren't too happy once leakers started pointing out that they were hearing the name Tony the Tiger more than Robin Hood. (Not to **** on Decidueye, by the way, I think it's a radical Pokemon!)

Anyway, then you have the Box Theory. When sometime after Isabelle's reveal certain stores were selling special packages of Ultimate with the entire roster on each side of the box. The whole entire roster except for two slots left blank on one side. This started a war between those who believed the box meant that only two characters were left for base game (the truth) and those who felt the box meant nothing and they could totally be hiding more spaces on the back or something (cope).

In addition to all of THAT, we had the Ken leak, pretty much confirming him. So that along with all the leakers saying Frosted Flakes was on his way meant the only characters left for Ultimate were Ken and Incineroar.

So when the Grinch came along, with his siren song of scores of beloved fan requests, Incineroar became a symbol of dashing the hopes of the fanbase. A vile creature who stood in the way of Mach Rider and Banjo Kazooie.

Then the November Direct happened, and Ken and Incineroar are real while the Grinch is fake. People weren't happy.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
That's not even everything.

So first of all, Incineroar was already a controversial design. Then you have the scorned Decidueye fans who weren't too happy once leakers started pointing out that they were hearing the name Tony the Tiger more than Robin Hood. (Not to **** on Decidueye, by the way, I think it's a radical Pokemon!)

Anyway, then you have the Box Theory. When sometime after Isabelle's reveal certain stores were selling special packages of Ultimate with the entire roster on each side of the box. The whole entire roster except for two slots left blank on one side. This started a war between those who believed the box meant that only two characters were left for base game (the truth) and those who felt the box meant nothing and they could totally be hiding more spaces on the back or something (cope).

In addition to all of THAT, we had the Ken leak, pretty much confirming him. So that along with all the leakers saying Frosted Flakes was on his way meant the only characters left for Ultimate were Ken and Incineroar.

So when the Grinch came along, with his siren song of scores of beloved fan requests, Incineroar became a symbol of dashing the hopes of the fanbase. A vile creature who stood in the way of Mach Rider and Banjo Kazooie.

Then the November Direct happened, and Ken and Incineroar are real while the Grinch is fake. People weren't happy.
Oh trust me, it wasn't just the Decidueye fans.
There were also certain Lycanroc stans like one I won't mention by name that made it his life mission to quell any positivity regarding the tiger and push the dog as the clear superior choice Sakurai would surely pick.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Let's try this again.

In terms of newcomers you want in a Smash Bros. game, which ones you want could be easy to master and which ones do you imagine to be hard to master? In fact, which characters you wanted that got in did you think were easy to master, or hard to master for that matter?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
In terms of newcomers you want in a Smash Bros. game, which ones you want could be easy to master and which ones do you imagine to be hard to master?
For easy, I am terrible at thinking of easy movesets so I will skip this entirely.

For someone who's hard to master...

I think it's time we get sword Kazuya :4pacman:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Let's try this again.

In terms of newcomers you want in a Smash Bros. game, which ones you want could be easy to master and which ones do you imagine to be hard to master? In fact, which characters you wanted that got in did you think were easy to master, or hard to master for that matter?
For hard to master wants, I'll echo Unikorn's Nightmare request and also throw in Kasumi from DOA with the hold system possibly translated to Smash in some way. Also, if we get more than one Guilty Gear character, Asuka# would be funny.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Exactly what Smash fans deserve. :yeahboi:

After doing more research on Garbodor to make this moveset I grew to like it a lot more unironically.
I honestly love a lot of the Gen V black sheep. I'd be unironically pretty happy if we got someone like Garbodor, Klingklang or Vanilluxe. Well, provided they put care into giving them interesting move sets of course.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Let's try this again.

I'm still amazed by how randomly technical they made Banjo-Kazooie. You'd expect them to be a classic bing bing wahoo character and instead I had to fully master B reversing and aerial grabbing just to be able to use their down special effectively.
Then I learned all the down throw timings, the ideal spacing for their tilts and how to snap to the ledge with Wonderwing. Had to learn what 2-framing even is. Finally, mastered Breegull Blaster and its combos like three years in (it becomes their best move at that point and now I use it too much!). Still missing the KFC stuff though, and I'll probably always will.

All that work just to be able to stay in the game. I think the way they ask so much out of you turned a lot of people away from the character, I believe they're super fun and expressive once you've learned all that stuff, but I wouldn't mind it if they were to simplify them a bit for the next game. Would've given up much earlier if I wasn't a super fan.

Pac-man is similar, he has such a friendly appearance and then you have to learn 75489 different techniques with the fruit and the hydrant. Gave up with him, though I love the way he's designed.

As for newcomers, who knows how they'd design them, I don't think the source material influences much how easy or not that easy a character is to play as, but if Dark Souls ever gets a character he'd have to be difficult, right?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly love a lot of the Gen V black sheep. I'd be unironically pretty happy if we got someone like Garbodor, Klingklang or Vanilluxe. Well, provided they put care into giving them interesting move sets of course.
If you press A next to Vanilluxe while it's knocked down, your character will eat them, instantly K.O.ing them. :ultpacman:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If you press A next to Vanilluxe while it's knocked down, your character will eat them, instantly K.O.ing them. :ultpacman:
Honestly I think it'd be kinda funny if you could occasionally knock some soft serve cones out of Vanilluxe. They already exist as one of the possible food items.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I honestly love a lot of the Gen V black sheep.
I know what you're getting at, but TBH I think every Gen V Pokemon is overshadowed compared to the Gen I Pokemon they're supposed to be counterparts to.

Except for the ones that aren't supposed to be Kanto counterparts, like Sawsbuck, and I've seen more Dewott fans online than Wartortle.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm still amazed by how randomly technical they made Banjo-Kazooie. You'd expect them to be a classic bing bing wahoo character and instead I had to fully master B reversing and aerial grabbing just to be able to use their down special effectively.
Then I learned all the down throw timings, the ideal spacing for their tilts and how to snap to the ledge with Wonderwing. Had to learn what 2-framing even is. Finally, mastered Breegull Blaster and its combos like three years in (it becomes their best move at that point and now I use it too much!). Still missing the KFC stuff though, and I'll probably always will.

All that work just to be able to stay in the game. I think the way they ask so much out of you turned a lot of people away from the character, I believe they're super fun and expressive once you've learned all that stuff, but I wouldn't mind it if they were to simplify them a bit for the next game. Would've given up much earlier if I wasn't a super fan.

Pac-man is similar, he has such a friendly appearance and then you have to learn 75489 different techniques with the fruit and the hydrant. Gave up with him, though I love the way he's designed.

As for newcomers, who knows how they'd design them, I don't think the source material influences much how easy or not that easy a character is to play as, but if Dark Souls ever gets a character he'd have to be difficult, right?
Banjo & Kazooie expectation: Beginner friendly brawler.

Banjo & Kazooie reality: Highly technical setup zoner.

Honestly the comparison to Pac-Man is super apt. Both were highly requested, both were implemented as way more technical than people were expecting, and both are extremely unpopular in terms of usage. Or at least, Pac-Man was until he was good, but even then a lot of people gripe about his move set, just like with Banjo & Kazooie.

Except for the ones that aren't supposed to be Kanto counterparts, like Sawsbuck...
Sawsbuck is amazing! Bring back seasons! JUSTICE FOR SAWSBUCK!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Robin can use their Final Smash on Chrom, what's stopping Alear from using Emblem Marth against Marth?
Especially since they keep calling him Emblem Marth, which implies that they aren't at all the same character. Like he's just a projection based on Marth's story or something.

If they do add them, I'd be curious about a few things:
  • Which one's the default? Precedence says male but the female seems to be the more popular one by far, and there's been more time for that to become known.
  • Will they at all be a Marth derivative? My initial thoughts were that they were just going to be Marth, but with Arsene Marth helping them out, but they could do any number of things.
  • How will the Emblem mechanic work? Will it be engaging?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Robin can use their Final Smash on Chrom, what's stopping Alear from using Emblem Marth against Marth?
I just feel like more creative risks should be done with a character like Alear, and so I don't want to just slap any of Smash's current FE reps onto Alear's moveset for the sake of it. And I know using Emblems like Sigurd and Celica would at least make for creative specials.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want Alear to be a character whose moveset thinks outside the box and tries using Emblems of FE characters who aren't directly playable in Smash.

Top Bottom