• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of which... Where the heck is DK right now?

I feel like the most notable thing that's happened to the franchise in five years is getting a character in Smash.
Well, if rumors are to be believed, they're still trying to find a team for him.

Now that I think about it, a lot of Nintendo suffer from that problem. Metroid Dread was stuck in development hell until MercurySteam came along, Advance Wars is only coming back thanks to Wayforward, there was a rumor that Next Level Games are being given Pikmin 4, I believe a prominent leaker (wanna say Emily Rogers, but I don't remember for certain) said it's the reason Golden Sun hasn't come back despite Nintendo themselves wanting it to come back... you get the picture.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cranky Kong might be a likely character for the next Smash too, since he's confirmed for the Mario movie and I wouldn't be surprised if we see another mainline DK game soon (and I don't think there's been one that didn't have Cranky in it)
I've been saying this. I kinda expect Cranky to happen now before Dixie because of this all... Him appearing in the Mario Movie is huge, as it's basically a statement from Nintendo saying Cranky = Arcade DK.
Speaking of which... Where the heck is DK right now?

I feel like the most notable thing that's happened to the franchise in five years is getting a character in Smash.
I wish I knew... There are rumors of a new Nintendo made Donkey Kong game, but it's taking a while now. Although, the same rumor sources also hinted at a 3D Kirby, new Fire Emblem, and other games that are confirmed to be existent so I have some hope

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly where does the idea that Sakurai hates modern Kirby and have a biais toward his own game even come from? Sure, most of content is from the first few games, but that's the case for many other franchises (Donkey kong, Mega man, Metroid, Street fighter). In Smash wii u, there was plan for a Kirby epic yarn stage, but it was changed for Yoshi wooly world because Sakurai thought it would be fun to have a stage from an unreleased game at the time (and in Ultimate Kirby didn't get ant stages, but so did most franchises in that game). For the music, composers choose the remixes, so it seems there was just no interest from them with modern Kirby music and I doubt Sakurai forced them to not remixes those tracks. The idea that BDW isn't in Smash yet because he hates modern Kirby is genuinely one of the dumbest thing this fanbase has come up with.
well actually the composers chose from a pool of songs. your point about the epic yarn stage misses out the fact that it means he also left it out in favour of great cave offensive. he also reworked a mario stage into a kirby stage during this dev time. sakurai shows favouritism

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, if rumors are to be believed, they're still trying to find a team for him.

Now that I think about it, a lot of Nintendo suffer from that problem. Metroid Dread was stuck in development hell until MercurySteam came along, Advance Wars is only coming back thanks to Wayforward, there was a rumor that Next Level Games are being given Pikmin 4, I believe a prominent leaker (wanna say Emily Rogers, but I don't remember for certain) said it's the reason Golden Sun hasn't come back despite Nintendo themselves wanting it to come back... you get the picture.
These rumors are new to me. I usually pay them no mind, but indeed a 2D Metroid that came to be Metroid Dread also was hinted at for quite some time like a new DK game made by Nintendo themselves. So if we're talking the same source, I believe they already did find a team to handle Donkey Kong. It's just, the game is either taking more time or they await the right moment to announce it. With so many big name titles coming up as Splatoon and Zelda , I could see why.

The Golden Sun part is very interesting to me too!

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Check out this cool “what-if” video for Melee
They forGOT the pickles!!!
Brawl Announcer " :sonic: , AND, TAAAAAILS."

Ex5aEBaVoAAPMB5.jpg

109876_1280.jpg
3369.png

Also, can't reply to y'all for now for, unexplained reasons.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Pirahna Plant was just Sakurai inserting his usual silly "surprise character", ala Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, etc from the previous games. If if wasn't PP, then it'd probably would of wounded up being someone along those lines. Which I would of preferred, because at least it'd been a new universe added to the roster instead of just yet another Mario character.
Sukapon would have been, I feel, a much more compelling choice in that vein.

The main issue holding it back would have been the need for a stage and a remix or two but if the work put into Plant was redirected into Sukapon's AT (which already has a bunch of its moves) then I feel like it could have been done with stage and all. I would have loved that.

Maybe Nintendo could loan out the Joy Mech Fight IP to a talented indie studio and let them make a sequel to the game? That would require a minuscule effort on their part for not the most profit-maximizing scheme though so can't have that.
They forGOT the pickles!!!
Brawl Announcer " :sonic: , AND, TAAAAAILS."

View attachment 348118
Yeah people always forget about Tails in regards to the infamous Melee rumor. It's kind of baffling to me that Tails didn't get into Ultimate base game. He's a very underrated video game icon in regards to Smash speculation. I think the major wave of Shadow discussion was after echo fighters were officially christened as a concept (though of course clone discussion was a thing before that) but his discussion still completely eclipsed Tails and any other Sonic character for that matter.

I was actually brought over to the Robotnik is more interesting a moveset side of things a little while ago but I'd still love to see Tails and Knuckles get into Smash eventually. At least Knuckles got into Project M. I can only play as Tails in Smash Flash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
These rumors are new to me. I usually pay them no mind, but indeed a 2D Metroid that came to be Metroid Dread also was hinted at for quite some time like a new DK game made by Nintendo themselves. So if we're talking the same source, I believe they already did find a team to handle Donkey Kong. It's just, the game is either taking more time or they await the right moment to announce it. With so many big name titles coming up as Splatoon and Zelda , I could see why.

The Golden Sun part is very interesting to me too!
I'm not sure if we're talking about the SAME source (I'll admit, the Pikmin 4 one seems to have been made by cobbling a bunch of different rumors together), but yeah, it feels like a LOT of stuff has been rumored for awhile now...

As for Golden Sun, I managed to find what I was thinking of:

Obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but hey: if given the choice between Emily and Markomaro, I'll take the real insider any day of the week.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Sukapon would have been, I feel, a much more compelling choice in that vein.

The main issue holding it back would have been the need for a stage and a remix or two but if the work put into Plant was redirected into Sukapon's AT (which already has a bunch of its moves) then I feel like it could have been done with stage and all. I would have loved that.

Maybe Nintendo could loan out the Joy Mech Fight IP to a talented indie studio and let them make a sequel to the game? That would require a minuscule effort on their part for not the most profit-maximizing scheme though so can't have that.
The main thing holding Sukapon back is the fact that Joy Mech Fight is a horribly obscure Japan only Famicom game lol

Sakurai justified Duck Hunt's inclusion on the original being the "most sold shooting game in the world", and also justified Piranha Plant in that it was more well known than main characters from less popular series. Pretty obvious that Sukapon just ain't on their level, sadly.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Out of all Nintendo characters I think Miis are the least likely characters to return to smash in the next game if it was for a next console with no Mii in it or replace by these “new” Miis which would be disappointing.
But I do hope that I am wrong.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Out of all Nintendo characters I think Miis are the least likely characters to return to smash in the next game if it was for a next console with no Mii in it or replace by these “new” Miis which would be disappointing.
They did just update Mario Kart Tour to include playable Miis, so...

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
The main thing holding Sukapon back is the fact that Joy Mech Fight is a horribly obscure Japan only Famicom game lol

Sakurai justified Duck Hunt's inclusion on the original being the "most sold shooting game in the world", and also justified Piranha Plant in that it was more well known than main characters from less popular series. Pretty obvious that Sukapon just ain't on their level, sadly.
Yes I know. At least it got a huge acknowledgment with the Assist Trophy. I'm glad he found a reason to include Dunk Hunt. I was thrilled with that inclusion.

Speaking of Dunk Hunt I'm so annoyed that they didn't combine the distance of his current recovery with the damage output of his one custom move here. What would Duck Hunt be "broken" if his recovery wasn't the most worthless iteration of it possible? Smash balance is such a joke honestly. Most balanced Smash sure but that isn't really saying much at all.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
They did just update Mario Kart Tour to include playable Miis, so...
While this gives me a bit of hope the lack of Nintendo pushing Mii in a lot of games like the Wii and 3DS and Wii U era has been disappearing so it’s rare when Mii are being used but who knows if Miis are going to be gone in the next console like the only major thing we got on switch regarding Miis was Miitopia and Smash

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I doubt we'll ever see Miis go away completely. I mean, Nintendo still seems to rely on them as an avatar editor for their online profiles. And even if a future console hypothetically drops them from being a built-in feature, if nothing else, I expect certain games could just include their own Mii-editor (especially re-releases or long-running series like Smash and Mario Kart).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Comparing Sukapon to :ultduckhunt::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob: is understandable in terms of what sold more or more known but the real difference is that Joy Mech Fight did age well compared to their games and I am saying this because I had emulator that played so many NES games during my childhood and I played so many of them and Joy Mech Fight was easily one of the best games made for the NES and I can still find it fun to play to this day compared to most NES games and I am pretty sure Joy Mech Fight would have have printed way more money if Nintendo did advertise it as much as they did to the other NES games and released it worldwide keep in mind that Joy Mech Fight was one of the games feels like it broke the limit of the NES due the fact its a fighting game running smoothly with 2 players and playable 36 characters with different moveset and secret inputs and many animated stages.
Keep in mind Sukapon also was the most requested retro character in the official Japanese smash 2 and he was also mention in the brawl poll just letting you know that he had much of a demand going on especially in the Japanese smash community.
What are everybody's favorite kind of crossovers in Smash Ultimate?

For me, I do like seeing different NES characters together. Nintendo was the king back in those days where so many games were able to shine on their consoles just like their own games. Seeing characters from back then come together in Smash feels like a tribute to a great era for the company.

Another crossover I like seeing is retro characters and recent characters. Look at Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch and then look at characters like Bayonetta and Joker. Not just the characters but also their games. Just never would have thought that they would all be in the same game together. It just didn't even seem And I know Cloud is not really a recent character but you can't help but look his game too. Duck Hunt and Final Fantasy VII? Characters from those games together? That's still kind of hard to believe. Ice Climber and Bayonetta? Very different games from very different eras and here they are, crossing over.

Then there's also seeing the genre kings going at it, such as Mario (Platforming), Ryu (Fighting), Cloud (RPG), Snake (Stealth) and, partially, Doom Slayer (FPS).
I like it when gaming genre kings all meet up in a single game.
However besides Doom Slayer there is still more genre king left on the line such as:
-Tetromino (Puzzle)
-Space Invaders (2D Spaceship Shooting/Grandfather of video games)
-Agumon (Virtual Pet)
-Cooking Mama (Cooking)
-Hatsune Miku (Rhythm)
-Kunio (Beat ‘em Up)
-Club Penguin/League of Legends/World of Warcraft/etc rep (Massive Multiplayer Online)
-Resident Evil rep (Horror)
-Phoenix Wright (Visual Novel)
-Worms (Artillery/Tactic)
-Peashooter (Tower Defence)
-Talking Ben or Tom (Talking)

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I rather prefer Taiko from the Taiko no Tatsujin series to rep that genre, since Miku was originally a text-to-speech synthetized voice used for the music industry.
i kinda see Hatsune Miku as in a grey area like :ultrob: :ultwiifittrainer: :ultduckhunt:
like you can see Wii Fit is more of an exercise training program than a video game for example and how both :ultrob::ultduckhunt: originated as toys
however currently Hatsune Miku leans more toward video game than just simple music program

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
i kinda see Hatsune Miku as in a grey area like :ultrob: :ultwiifittrainer:
like you can see Wii Fit is more of an exercise training program than a video game for example
however currently Hatsune Miku leans more toward video game than just simple music program
Maybe....it does come across as grey area, but she's more comparable to R.O.B. than Wii Fit Trainer, as Wii Fit Trainer definitively came from a video game, whereas R.O.B. was more so an accessory for a video game(and eventually stuck to video game appearances like Kirby Dreamland 3 and Mario Kart DS.)
Hatsune Miku does have a series of Rhythm games thanks to Sega, but her popularity didn't come from the video games. While it's debatable on whether or not a music program counts as a video game(especially when you do have music-focused games like Wii Music and whatnot), her music program was how she became frickin' popular in the first place and how she became a Nico Douga, and eventually an Internet, sensation. Her popularity comes mainly from internet culture and her video games came from that result, which would be more a deterrent to her getting in Smash Bros that focuses mainly on video games and it's culture.

Man, it's almost strange to think that had Sega supported Sumo with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, we could've possibly gotten Hatsune Miku as DLC for that game, much like Don-chan in that one Mario Kart Arcade game.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I kinda see Hatsune Miku as in a grey area like :ultrob: :ultwiifittrainer: :ultduckhunt:
Other "Grey Area" characters in the thin line between what is from a video game and what not are:
  • Geralt (Book)
  • Tal'Set (Comic Book)
  • Sam & Max (Comic Book)
  • Scott Pilgrim (Graphic Novel)
  • Wreck-It Ralph (Movie)
  • Chase McCain (Toy)
  • Any video game incarnation from a real-life person [Historical domain or still alive] (self explicatory)
  • The previous one but with fictional characters (Like Epic Mickey or Goku Xeno)
  • Original characters made for a video game based on an external media (Like Android 21 or Tallion)
  • And the opposite of that last one (Like Oogtar or Scratch and Grounder)

This kind of stuff prevents to the crew behind the franchise for breaking the biggest rule, with characters that are mostly know for a casual gamer rather then a hardcore pop culture loremaster. At least we can add the obvious picks like Goku or Shrek as Assist Trophies, Bosses, Mii Costumes, Spirits, or background characters for a stage.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
you can compare Hatsune Miku to Mario Paint in some way
i do think what defines something as being video game is:
being a playable electronic program + being a form of entertainment
since Vocaloid is playable electronic program and is a form of entertainment which is a music then i can see it count as video game by definition

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What if they simply replaced all the Mii Fighters for one singular Mii character, that's mostly based around the Miitopia RPG game, and Wii Sports and the like... You know, actual Mii based games? What even is a Mii Brawler / Swordfighter / Gunner?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
i do think what defines something as being video game is:
being a playable electronic program + being a form of entertainment
since Vocaloid is playable electronic program and is a form of entertainment which is a music then i can see it count as video game by definition
Okay, but with that logic would Internet Explorer or MS Paint can be considered video games? (I may sound a bit "meme")

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Okay, but with that logic would Internet Explorer or MS Paint can be considered video games? (I may sound a bit "meme")
technically yes it is why i also dont think someone like Clippy from microsoft office or the snake game on youtube loading screen or internet error dinosaur game would break a rule however its a weird category of what we would refer as video game and be seen as a grey area but it works.
Remember also Miiverse and Pictochat stage and what it represents its basically the same idea of having internet explorer and MS paint as a stage.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
What if they simply replaced all the Mii Fighters for one singular Mii character, that's mostly based around the Miitopia RPG game, and Wii Sports and the like... You know, actual Mii based games? What even is a Mii Brawler / Swordfighter / Gunner?
I would prefer this to what we have now. Part of it is that I don't personally get much out of the costumes as consolation prizes; I'd rather get ATs and such as auxiliary representation. Another part is better representation for famous titles like Wii Sports. And a third part, which I don't want to understate, is that making just one unique Mii fighter probably takes way less resources, to an even greater extent if custom movesets are scrapped. But they make enough money on the costumes, whose appeal is tied to the customization, that I unfortunately see them continuing with the current Brawler/Gunner/Swordfighter setup as the most likely outcome for the next game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Yeah unfortunately Nintendo don't have that many studios compared to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo have 10 internal teams, but of those only 6 actually make games. For a small breakdown:
-EDP 3 is the Zelda team (Breath of the wild 2 is their next games and last game was BOTW)
-EDP 4 is what I called the "random casual game team" (last games was Nintendo labo, Ring fit and Game builder garage)
-EDP 5 is the Splatoon and Animal crossing team (Right now working on Splatoon 3)
-EDP 8 is the 3d Mario team (last games was Bowser fury and Mario odyssey)
-EDP 10 is the 2d Mario team (last games was Mario maker 2 Mario bros U deluxe)

Then they have a few second party studios:
-Retro studios (working right now on Metroid prime 4)
-ND cube, which is the Mario party and other party games studios (last games was Mario party superstars and Clubhouse games)
-Next level games (working on Mario strikers)
-Monolith soft (Xenoblade chronicles 3)

And they have a few studios which they don't own but are strongly associated with them
-Camelot is the Mario sports team
-Intelligent Systems is the Paper Mario and the Fire emblem team
-Game freak is the Pokémon team
-Hal laboratory for Kirby

They also sometimes work with third party like Platinum games for Bayonetta or Astral chain, Namco bandai for Pokémon snap and Smash bros, or Mercury steam for 2d Metroid, but that's pretty much it.

The point of this very long post is that people always ask "where's F-zero, where's Golden sun, where's Kid icarus, where's Wario land, where's Wave race, why is Pikmin taking so long where's Donkey kong". But considering how much studios Nintendo have, and how much times it takes for doing a AAA games today (3-4 years in average but can take much more too if the game is very ambitious), it's not really a surprise that they don't have time and ressources to bring back many franchises.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if we're talking about the SAME source (I'll admit, the Pikmin 4 one seems to have been made by cobbling a bunch of different rumors together), but yeah, it feels like a LOT of stuff has been rumored for awhile now...

As for Golden Sun, I managed to find what I was thinking of:

Obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but hey: if given the choice between Emily and Markomaro, I'll take the real insider any day of the week.
Has Emily ever been right about Golden Sun, though? I feel like she's made a few positive-but-speculative posts about the future of GS just like this one that haven't panned out.

What she's saying here is basically exactly what every GS fan wants to think: that actually Nintendo really loves GS but Camelot is always too busy with Mario Sports.

Of course, you don't have to be an insider to observe that Tennis+Golf are out of the way for now, and it's reasonable to think that Camelot would be able to push out another title on the Switch before new hardware rolls in. But we'll just have to see if a mid-to-large-scale RPG is what they would or could go for in the latter half of the Switch's life cycle.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah unfortunately Nintendo don't have that many studios compared to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo have 10 internal teams, but of those only 6 actually make games. For a small breakdown:
-EDP 3 is the Zelda team (Breath of the wild 2 is their next games and last game was BOTW)
-EDP 4 is what I called the "random casual game team" (last games was Nintendo labo, Ring fit and Game builder garage)
-EDP 5 is the Splatoon and Animal crossing team (Right now working on Splatoon 3)

-ND cube, which is the Mario party and other party games studios (last games was Mario party superstars and Clubhouse games)

And they have a few studios which they don't own but are strongly associated with them

They also sometimes work with third party like Platinum games for Bayonetta or Astral chain, Namco bandai for Pokémon snap and Smash bros, or Mercury steam for 2d Metroid, but that's pretty much it.

The point of this very long post is that people always ask "where's F-zero, where's Golden sun, where's Kid icarus, where's Wario land, where's Wave race, why is Pikmin taking so long where's Donkey kong". But considering how much studios Nintendo have, and how much times it takes for doing a AAA games today (3-4 years in average but can take much more too if the game is very ambitious), it's not really a surprise that they don't have time and ressources to bring back many franchises.
I wonder why Nintendo hasn't started getting more studios. I'm not saying they should go on a spending spree, but I think they would definitely benefit from expanding by creating more studios, both in Japan and in the west. Maybe pick up a few indie studios, mostly for their financial stability and to generate new IPs.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Has Emily ever been right about Golden Sun, though? I feel like she's made a few positive-but-speculative posts about the future of GS just like this one that haven't panned out.

What she's saying here is basically exactly what every GS fan wants to think: that actually Nintendo really loves GS but Camelot is always too busy with Mario Sports.

Of course, you don't have to be an insider to observe that Tennis+Golf are out of the way for now, and it's reasonable to think that Camelot would be able to push out another title on the Switch before new hardware rolls in. But we'll just have to see if a mid-to-large-scale RPG is what they would or could go for in the latter half of the Switch's life cycle.
To be honest, I wouldn't know. All I know about Emily is that's one of the few reliable leakers out there, so I felt it was okay to at least hear her out.

For what it's worth, she mentions in the same thread that Nintendo has no interest in reviving Eternal Darkness despite Alexandria Roivas being one of the first Spirits revealed for Ultimate, but... yeah, that one was pretty obvious...
I wonder why Nintendo hasn't started getting more studios. I'm not saying they should go on a spending spree, but I think they would definitely benefit from expanding by creating more studios, both in Japan and in the west. Maybe pick up a few indie studios, mostly for their financial stability and to generate new IPs.
For what it's worth, I found this article:

TL:DR Nintendo doesn't like buying other studios, but with recent industry consolidation, they may have to at some point.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
To be honest, I wouldn't know. All I know about Emily is that's one of the few reliable leakers out there, so I felt it was okay to at least hear her out.

For what it's worth, she mentions in the same thread that Nintendo has no interest in reviving Eternal Darkness despite Alexandria Roivas being one of the first Spirits revealed for Ultimate, but... yeah, that one was pretty obvious...

For what it's worth, I found this article:

TL:DR Nintendo doesn't like buying other studios, but with recent industry consolidation, they may have to at some point.
I mostly added that second bit to cover all my thoughts. My primary focus would be creating brand new studios from the ground up. Though it looks like they are doing that. https://www.pcmag.com/news/nintendo...nding-workforce-to-create-more-games?amp=true

I mostly added that second bit to cover all my thoughts. My primary focus would be creating brand new studios from the ground up. Though it looks like they are doing that. https://www.pcmag.com/news/nintendo...nding-workforce-to-create-more-games?amp=true
Just to add to this, they have done a little bit of expanding through Monolith Soft, as well. When the Switch came out, Monolith Soft had one studio, and now it has four. Granted, that hasn't led to new IPs, but it does allow currently active ones to stay more active than they would have been. Especially when you consider they help with Zelda, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing on top of the usual Xenoblade stuff.

Nintendo looking to expand internally is good news. At the very least it means they aren't taking the Switch's success for granted.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman

What is EDP? Engineering & Development Projects?

I wonder which teams work on some of Nintendo's hardware and glorified tech demos. Things like ARMS, which shows off the Joycon functions, or various 3DS goodies like the eShop interface, AR Games, Streetpass Mii Plaza, and Nintendo Badge Arcade lending itself to the 3DS's customizeable functions. I gotta say, I'm also rather intrigued by The Stretchers, if only because it looks like an indie game you'd expect to find on Steam, yet it's apparently a first-party Nintendo game (I think I heard that it was outsourced to some development team I forget the name of).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I get your point. But! There are two Mario development teams, I can't picture a reality that one of them couldn't be used to make a Donkey Kong game, with help from Retro Studios and maybe even Monolith Soft for the textures of natural environments.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never understood this logic. Miis aren't established characters defined by their game appearances, they are customizable characters. Miis in Mario Golf are golf players and Miis in Mario Kart are kart racers, it only makes sense for Miis in Smash to be fighters using various archetypes available to other characters. They don't need to have random references to sports or RPG games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never understood this logic. Miis aren't established characters defined by their game appearances, they are customizable characters. Miis in Mario Golf are golf players and Miis in Mario Kart are kart racers, it only makes sense for Miis in Smash to be fighters using various archetypes available to other characters. They don't need to have random references to sports or RPG games.
They don't need to, sure. But they could ?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You could make a Mii moveset based on their core titles like Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, and Miitopia, sure. But I believe it's very apparent that the Miis were added with the intention for people to play as ANYONE they wanted that didn't make the cut for the main game.

Making a Mii based on Dante is more immersive if the fighting style the Mii uses centers on swordplay, rather than them doing things like swinging a tennis racquet or using a magic wand. It would likely be safe to say that more people may find the opportunity to play as a custom fighter similar to who they're supposed be would be better than something that doesn't even try.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
On a side note, it would’ve been cool if they made Wii Sports themed costumes for the existing Miis. Boxing gloves for Brawler, tennis racket, golf club and/or baseball bat for Swordfighter, and bowling ball with a cannon attached to it for Gunner I guess?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To be clear, yeah, the Miis are definitely on the roster for the purpose of serving customization and the ability to sell very many (IMO, overpriced) costumes. I just personally don't get very much out of them and would prefer a downscale that might allow the resources to get spent on other things. A single Mii moveset, preferably without but even with a handful of custom move options, is more appealing to me than three separate fighters to create and balance for all possible moveset configurations. For people who really want their Mii to carry a sword or blaster, they could continue to implement Sticker-type collectibles that allow a character to always carry a particular item. Not as good but still something. I don't think a Sports, etc. moveset is strictly necessary for Miis since they are generics made to represent other people or characters rather than having their own "likeness," but it is one possible way to go about it.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I like the solution they reached with the Miis. If anything I'd want it to be expanded upon. I've thrown out some others but the additional Miis with the most potential for costumes would be Mii Mage and Mii Ninja. I'd also like it if Miis in general could get that updated look found in the new Switch Sports title because they look really nice and I think would blend into first-party Nintendo titles a whole lot better whether it's Mario Kart or Smash.

One really good idea for a Mii costume that really feels missing would be one for Urban Champion whether it's a full deluxe with a head or just a simple clothing option with additional pallete swaps. Or go the Mii Bomberman route and do both. Funny that Urban Champion was once considered but can't get something so simple and borderline effortless. Brawler basically IS the Urban Champion in Smash already so why not?

You could give this potential Mii a sick accompanying stage too! It'd just be the normal Urban Champion stage without a blast floor EXCEPT for the manholes (like you could potentially get spiked into it if you're not being careful) and have it side-scroll to the various buildings with the tenants throwing hazards at the players on the field. The snack bar could throw food as a cute little divergence. The cops driving by can act as a simple collision hazard like the cars on Onett do. For the purposes of Smash there'd always be two of these open manholes on each side of the field.

As a quick aside while I'm on the topic of classic NES stages for Smash I really think ROB deserves a homestage in the form of a Gyromite stage. It'd help make him feel more like a true video game character that way.

Top Bottom