• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Noipoi

Howdy!
Say how many of you all played Melee or even 64? I didn't get hit with the impact of the Melee to Brawl transition like my friends did. Some of them ended up abandoning Smash after that but yeah I think that much of a difference was already enough I can't imagine it going over well if they drastically changed it.
My first Smash was actually 3DS/Wii U. It gets some **** today, but man that game felt boundless at the time. One of the few moments I was proud to be a Wii U owner.

I had a Wii back in the day, but I was six years old when Brawl came out and the prospect of all the Nintendo characters fighting just made me sad. Why are they all mad at each other?

…I was a dumb kid :090:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I've owned every Smash game sans the 3DS. Man, I'm old. (not really that old)

64: a revelation. You came for Mario and Pikachu but you stayed for the gameplay. It was as fun as Mario Kart and Mario Party, but deeper and way more chaotic.

Melee: game looked like it came from the future. The graphics were absolutely crazy for the time, seeing the fabric of Mario's jeans was mindblowing. The roster doubled, the new stages were crazy and the game was so fluid and dynamic it was unbelievable. The new items were also crazy. Super mushroom felt incredible.

Brawl: on one hand it was awesome, because it had an absurd amount of content, a fully developed story mode, online play, and you finally got to play as Diddy and Sonic! On the other hand the gameplay became super slow and floaty and somehow every character felt incredibly weak. Plus the online was a joke. I still believe Brawl is the best Smash if you take it strictly as a party game, though. The slower pace and the sheer mayhem of some final smashes were just great for it.

Smash Wii U: a mixed bag. Single player content was awful, I didn't like most of the new stages that too often tended to abandon level design and devolve into chaotic nonsense, and losing a bunch of favorites in exchange for a cast of newcomers I personally didn't end up liking that much was not great. On the other hand - decent online play, if not outright great compared to Brawl, and a return to an engaging gameplay style made the game worth it.

Ultimate: the best game in the series by far. Crazy amounts of content + most characters are in their best version here, the gameplay feel is almost perfect, it has my favorite single player in the series (love how you can score attack Classic Modes and every single Spirit rematch), online is... functional, and they finally added a bunch of characters I was waiting for since Melee if not Smash 64.

If it was up to me? Next game would be Ultimate 2, I'm not sure the game feel can be improved all that much (less input delay would be nice though) and the roster is untouchable; just add new content and new modes. Don't see what could go wrong.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
For me, it's "Almost Perfect." How to make it Perfect:
What it would need to be perfect to me:

Character Changes
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset.
-Make Black Shadow the Echo of Captain Falcon and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Kirby style Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)

I played every Smash game from release order. Up until 4, I rated them in the order of release. Now I'm not so sure where to put 4(both versions, as they have separate merits) and Ultimate, heh.
Ultimate > 4 > Melee > Brawl > 64

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I loved Smash Wii U when it came but I've had no real desire to go back and play it. Ultimate has completely replaced it for me. So I rank it pretty lowly in the order of my faves. I think my order would go

Ultimate > Brawl > 3DS > Melee > Smash Wii U > 64

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 is where I felt like the series could start to get off the rails, some features just felt... confused. Custom moves in particular just felt so pointless. Stage design took a nosedive. The new movesets had interesting ideas but the execution often felt blah - really wanted to like Little Mac, Rosalina and Shulk more than I ended up doing. SMASH TOUR. I mean it was still Smash, but it didn't feel like this earth-shattering sequel from the heavens like Melee, Brawl and Ultimate managed to do.
I have a hunch 3DS was the better version, though.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
This for sure!

Say how many of you all played Melee or even 64? I didn't get hit with the impact of the Melee to Brawl transition like my friends did. Some of them ended up abandoning Smash after that but yeah I think that much of a difference was already enough I can't imagine it going over well if they drastically changed it.
No. My first entry was Brawl and this was around the later years to so. My friend of mine introduced me to the series by bring the box to school. I assumed from the box-art that Smash was this edgy, dark interpretation of Nintendo that we were seeing quite a lot that time of 2000s which honestly put me off at first.

Still, it wasn't enough to stop me from trying Brawl and did even then i didn't become much of a fan until the Smash 4 season. It was on and off, even as a beginner, i could the tell the feel of the game was off just by playing Mario.

Then E3 2014 changed everything.

I will still say that Smash 4 is underrated game in the series.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The Melee to Brawl transition was significant because in a sense Smash didn't really become the series as we know it within gaming culture (the popular and crazily deep IP) until some time after SSBM's release. Melee was hyped in 2001 for sure. but within the context of the time, it was just one of many exciting GC sequels to N64 releases. It becoming such a juggernaut and eclipsing the sales of series that traditionally had been the big sellers of Nintendo systems (Mario & Zelda) happened years in and it effectively became THE game the people kept going back to and one fans were most excited about getting a sequel.

Its why the Brawl hype was so huge and why its quirks ended up being such a disappointment to people; that six and half years between releases turned Melee into a legendary title that no immediate sequel could effectively live up to, especially one with the controversial gameplay choices that Brawl had.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I was 7 when the first Smash came out.
Could have sworn I was older. I still remember my first Classic Mode. I had no idea how to play the game and in other games you just attacked with B, so I somehow spammed Pikachu's Thunder Jolt all the way through Master Hand.
Then I started to cry when the credits started to roll so soon and I quickly powered off the console.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I was 15 when Smash 64 came out and I’ve been having a blast with the series ever since. I’ve never been competitively great but I just love the concept of a huge crossover like Smash and the gameplay is a lot of fun. Single player wise, I’d say my favorite has to be Brawl both for the SSE and introducing Stage Builder but Melee is right behind it. Melee was probably the most fun gameplay mechanics. I wasn’t good enough to do any advanced techs but the general speed was fun. Ultimate is amazing for how much content is packed in and it’s probably second only to Melee in terms of general gameplay feel.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Smash 4 is where I felt like the series could start to get off the rails, some features just felt... confused. Custom moves in particular just felt so pointless. Stage design took a nosedive. The new movesets had interesting ideas but the execution often felt blah - really wanted to like Little Mac, Rosalina and Shulk more than I ended up doing. SMASH TOUR. I mean it was still Smash, but it didn't feel like this earth-shattering sequel from the heavens like Melee, Brawl and Ultimate managed to do.
I have a hunch 3DS was the better version, though.
I sunk over 1000 hours into the 3DS version over the years. But i can count the amount of times i played the Wii U one on one hand.

I feel like the Wii U version had a more boring stage line up honestly.

Also Smash run is peak.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I sunk over 1000 hours into the 3DS version over the years. But i can count the amount of times i played the Wii U one on one hand.

I feel like the Wii U version had a more boring stage line up honestly.

Also Smash run is peak.
Smash Run simultaneously got me through my freshman year of college and the wait for Ultimate (it single-handedly carried me through the latter half of 2018 is what I'm saying), it's genuinely the best singleplayer experience this series has ever seen and I'm not even joking. It's infinitely rerplayable, mowing down enemies and upgrading your character over time NEVER got old, and it's really fun no matter what character you use.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
When brawl released I was... 3...

I never actually owned it because my dad hates the series, but I played it with my cousin all the time and loved it - we beat subspace in 2 player and obviously played against each-other (mostly on terrible customer stages iirc).

I was 10 when 3ds released in Europe though, and I remember getting that and wii u as soon as I could (although I think I actually might have got wii u first? I don't 100% remember).

I always find it kinda funny that I was 12 when ultimate was announced and was 17 when its dlc finished - the game literally lasted the entire time I was a teenager. (Technically into being an adult now with the spirit events continuing).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Not that I want to go back to that more primitive iteration of it, but Brawl's simpler stage builder was actually way more party-friendly than the current one. Very fun to whip something together with some friends and then jump into a free-for-all. The newer stage builders are definitely a million times better for pre-planned, stage-of-my-dreams kinds of builds, but less conducive to pick-up-and-play in a party setting. Some have suggested adding more pre-made template parts to make things easier, which could help without having to lose the advancements that have been made since Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Damn kids, get off my ****in lawn!

I was 14 when Brawl dropped. Not the oldest apparently, but I still feel pretty damn old.
Brawl came out when i was a 6 Months old newborn baby,3ds and wii u came out when i was 7 years old,and Ultimate came out when i was 10 Years old.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
lol the sad thing is that this movie is so old by this point the young’uns probably won’t get the reference. One of my favorites though.
I'd expect kids to get references to decades-old family movies before decade+ old kids' shows. Like, it's easier for kids to access the Rugrats movies vs. the original show since they're legally free on YouTube.

On the other hand, it's also easy to access the old DIC Mario and Sonic cartoons for the same reason.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure if I’m the only one here that’s seen Arcane but I thought it was a great show. I’ve never played the mainline League of Legends games (or anything in the franchise at that point) and Arcane was basically my introduction to the lore but it was still awesome. It looks like it was announced a bit over a week ago that we’re getting a second season in November. If anyone hasn’t seen the first season, I’d highly recommend it even if you have no knowledge of the franchise like me.

Anyway, if we do get a Smash early on in the Switch 2’s life cycle, Arcane would fit the timing really well. There are multiple LoL spinoff games on the Switch and I believe Riot helped with Pokemon Unite so there’s some history with the company working with Nintendo. Do you think this could be a possible newcomer for Smash?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I had a Wii back in the day, but I was six years old when Brawl came out and the prospect of all the Nintendo characters fighting just made me sad. Why are they all mad at each other?
Awww this is frankly adorable lol. Jesus I forgot how long ago these games came out, I was 23 in 1999 graduating college haha wow.

When brawl released I was... 3...

I never actually owned it because my dad hates the series, but I played it with my cousin all the time and loved it - we beat subspace in 2 player and obviously played against each-other (mostly on terrible customer stages iirc).
Fascinating... I honestly have no concept of this kind of thing, my Dad bought the family our first console (Atari 2600) but never cared what games to buy just bought them for us because he wasn't into it that much once the novelty wore off. Even if he has I think he'd still buy whatever game we wanted even he didn't personally care for it. Alas even at my advanced age I do not have kids, but if I did still buy them whatever games just prolly not the M stuff until they're at least in high school... I think that right. Is that the standard these days?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Awww this is frankly adorable lol. Jesus I forgot how long ago these games came out, I was 23 in 1999 graduating college haha wow.

Fascinating... I honestly have no concept of this kind of thing, my Dad bought the family our first console (Atari 2600) but never cared what games to buy just bought them for us because he wasn't into it that much once the novelty wore off. Even if he has I think he'd still buy whatever game we wanted even he didn't personally care for it. Alas even at my advanced age I do not have kids, but if I did still buy them whatever games just prolly not the M stuff until they're at least in high school... I think that right. Is that the standard these days?
Same here. My parents were never into video games. My mother played Contra with me a bit when I was a little kid and my father has a very minor interest in war games but couldn’t figure out how to actually play a game. We all played Wii Fit for about a month but that’s it. It must be very different growing up later with parents that have been into games their whole lives. It would have been kind of cool to share that experience with them but I think they were already too old by the time gaming went mainstream.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Same here. My parents were never into video games. My mother played Contra with me a bit when I was a little kid and my father has a very minor interest in war games but couldn’t figure out how to actually play a game. We all played Wii Fit for about a month but that’s it. It must be very different growing up later with parents that have been into games their whole lives. It would have been kind of cool to share that experience with them but I think they were already too old by the time gaming went mainstream.
my mum certainly didn’t grow up playing games but she does like to play them. she’s been spending ages on totk. she’ll finally be able to move on to pikmin 4 soon

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Shortly after my dad got us the Atari he got a game called Demon Attack (Space Invaders type game) and after a while started getting good and then one night he played it for 6 hours straight having learned the game well enough to just keep looping and getting extra lives. 2 am rolls around and with work in 4 hours he decided video games were not for him lol! Anyway a few years later he sees me playing it and is like remember when I played for 6 hours straight? I wanna try again! Well he couldn't get past the 3rd screen and got so mad he threw the controller straight down into the floor and stormed off and thus I witnessed my first Rage Quit. Haha guy never played a video game of any kind ever again.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This for sure!

Heck, Smash 64 is quite literally the first video game I EVER played! For the record, I was 2 when the first Smash Bros. came out in 1999, and it wasn't until I was about 5-6 years old that I actually played the game at my cousins' house.

They offered to let me play some of their videogames, and the cartridge that featured 'Super' Mario fighting Pikachu(!!) caught my eye first. I'll be honest, I wasn't even THAT jazzed about the game.... until I watched the intro and I saw that HE was playable.
Kirby_SSB.png

For the record, I had been watching the Kirby anime on the Fox network for a couple of months prior to playing Smash 64, and I had absolutely fallen in love with the little puffball.

That's right. It wasn't Mario, Pikachu, or Jigglypuff that got me into Smash Bros. and video games in general. It was KIRBY. From there, I wanted to learn EVERYTHING about Nintendo. Who those other 11 characters on the CSS were, EVERYTHING.

Heck, Smash 64 is how I learned that Kirby and Pokémon were videogame franchises first and animes second.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
My parents also didn't like Smash, which I felt was super weird because we played a ton of Zelda and Mario Kart together. My dad said that he'd start to play Smash after they'd add his Mario Kart main, Toad - 25 years later and it still hasn't happened lmao.
It's not even that they thought it was violent (mom loved RE4 for some reason), I believe Smash is just a little harder to introduce to people that are not really that much into videogames.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
download (20).jpeg

It's cold!

And so I'm thinking about ice/cold based characters and what they'd bring to Smash. Since IC is already in the game I didn't list them.

Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat
Though I believe Scorpion would be the MK rep if they both could make it that would be awesome because their rivalry is legendary. Ryu and Ken worked but are Scorpion and Sub-Zero too different moves wise?

Glacius, Killer Instinct
Everyone would expect Fulgore to be the KI rep but I love how Glacius played in the original arcade title and I'd be so happy if he got the invite.

Lissandra, League of Legends
League has not been discussed too much and I know nothing about it really, but her name came up in this article from gamerant which is where I got all these actually...

Celsius, Tales
Again a series I know little about.

Shiva, Final Fantasy
This would be a cool AT imho. Or a summon for Rydia if they made her playable.

Ice Man, Mega Man
I love Mega Man and really loved Elec Man as an AT and would totally be down for another og robot master AT like Ice Man.

Kula Diamond, King of Fighters
Hmm... KoF is Terry's domain so I dunno if they'd go with Kula Diamond over someone else...

Jin Kisaragi, BlazBlue
Yet another series I don't really know about but the design is cool.

Lucy Kuo, Infamous
I wanted Cole for awhile but I only played the first game so I'm not too sure about her.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 383091
It's cold!

And so I'm thinking about ice/cold based characters and what they'd bring to Smash. Since IC is already in the game I didn't list them.

Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat
Though I believe Scorpion would be the MK rep if they both could make it that would be awesome because their rivalry is legendary. Ryu and Ken worked but are Scorpion and Sub-Zero too different moves wise?

Glacius, Killer Instinct
Everyone would expect Fulgore to be the KI rep but I love how Glacius played in the original arcade title and I'd be so happy if he got the invite.

League has not been discussed too much and I know nothing about it really, but her name came up in this article from gamerant which is where I got all these actually...

Celsius, Tales

Shiva, Final Fantasy

Ice Man, Mega Man
I love Mega Man and really loved Elec Man as an AT and would totally be down for another og robot master AT like Ice Man.

Hmm... KoF is Terry's domain so I dunno if they'd go with Kula Diamond over someone else...

Jin Kisaragi, BlazBlue

Lucy Kuo, Infamous
I wanted Cole for awhile but I only played the first game so I'm not too sure about her.
I love ice based characters. Sub-Zero is my favorite Mortal Kombat character and Glacius is probably my favorite Killer Instinct character so either one would be awesome. There’s also the Lich King from Warcraft that is a very prominent ice based character. While Illidan is still my most wanted from that franchise, Arthas/The Lich King would be awesome too. My favorite ice type Pokemon is Sneasel so that would be great too. Finally, Bad Mr. Frosty from ClayFighter would be a cool wtf character (pun intended).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My parents also didn't like Smash, which I felt was super weird because we played a ton of Zelda and Mario Kart together. My dad said that he'd start to play Smash after they'd add his Mario Kart main, Toad - 25 years later and it still hasn't happened lmao.
It's not even that they thought it was violent (mom loved RE4 for some reason), I believe Smash is just a little harder to introduce to people that are not really that much into videogames.
i feel your dad's pain

View attachment 383091
It's cold!

Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat

Glacius, Killer Instinct

Celsius, Tales

Shiva, Final Fantasy

Ice Man, Mega Man

Jin Kisaragi, BlazBlue

Lucy Kuo, Infamous
eiscue?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
View attachment 383091
It's cold!

Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat

Glacius, Killer Instinct

Celsius, Tales

Shiva, Final Fantasy

Ice Man, Mega Man

Jin Kisaragi, BlazBlue

Lucy Kuo, Infamous
Oatchi, using exclusively Ice Pikmin
:4pacman:

Laniv

Smash Champion
View attachment 383091
It's cold!

Sub-Zero, Mortal Kombat

Glacius, Killer Instinct

Celsius, Tales

Shiva, Final Fantasy

Ice Man, Mega Man

Jin Kisaragi, BlazBlue

Lucy Kuo, Infamous
I suggest for the second time... Delibird???

Failing that, maybe Rundas from Metroid Prime or Mr. Frosty from Kirby, or Kula Diamond

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As for Brawl, it came out when I was well over 20, and since I knew we were using the Wiimote and Nunchuck combo, I got the hang of the concept by playing some of the Wii version of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. I didn't win or anything, but it felt more natural that way.

Yay for alt control schemes~!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My guess for the most likely ice based character is probably Arthas/The Lich King from WarCraft. He does still have some competition even if we did get a character from his series but he’s definitely in top contention since he was the main character of WarCraft 3 and was the main villain in the early days of WoW when its popularity was at its peak. Sub-Zero’s best chance is if both he and Scorpion make it in as semiclones with unique specials. Other characters like Glacius and Sneasel are sadly pretty far down in importance in their own series so I don’t think they’re terribly likely as much as I’d love them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom