• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Honestly, my pipe dream for SSBU in 2024 is a DLC expansion pack with not just new fighters, but new single-player content and QOL improvements as well.
WoL needs a map expansion so all the DLC characters can be located on it and give space for a bunch of new Spirits.

When did I ever say these picks are jokes?
You don't need to say it. It's self-evident.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'd very much prefer to avoid grey area characters like Banjo and Geno, they just feel like wastes to me, and could contribute to misconceptions about gaming history, even if that isn't the intent
It is not Smash's obligation to be a history lesson. It's Smash's obligation to add fun and engaging characters from a variety of beloved video games. Ignoring the fact that Geno is not remotely comparable to Banjo's iconography and significance within his genre - I think it's extremely reductive to put them in this same category - adding lesser known characters is not confusing. Its not promoting misconceptions, because most people do not view Smash as this exchange of historical relevance. Most people like discovering new characters through Smash Bros. When you force this role and limitation onto Smash, you're the one making it boring. Not the fans who request characters that personally don't excite you.

Animal Crossing doesn’t have a lot to go off from for a new fighter. They would likely end up as an echo of Villager and/or Isabelle.
This is untrue, but it's a conversation we've retread here multiple times so I don't want to rope us back into it. Just consider that Fox, Falco and Wolf all bring something original to the table even if they are cut from the same cloth. It seems unlikely to me that Tom Nook would be fighting with the all the same tools Villager and Isabelle have and I feel like dismissing him as a clone is kind of lazy.

For Octolings, something I don’t see brought up is ink colour issues, as both Inklings and Octolings will have to have different enough ink colours (not good for the colour blind). It might be a better method to simply make Octoling just a skin for Inkling, like how Alph is to Olimar.
Octolings could be a skin, sure. But people don't bring up the color thing because it is not an issue. There are more than eight colors.

And that's implying Octoling is the only choice for a new Splatoon character, which they're not. That's just the bare minimum of new content for Splatoon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
When did I ever say these picks are jokes?
It'd be a joke to think most of those characters had a chance to make it in, especially if Smash banned characters like Banjo and Geno because they're owned by the owners of Master Chief and Sephiroth. Because most of your most wanteds are in fact equivalent to adding Banjo before MC, it doesn't matter how much demand they have in comparison.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It'd be a joke to think most of those characters had a chance to make it in, especially if Smash banned characters like Banjo and Geno because they're owned by the owners of Master Chief and Sephiroth. Because most of your most wanteds are in fact equivalent to adding Banjo before MC, it doesn't matter how much demand they have in comparison.
My list is being imagined in a "best case scenario" and part of that would include adding Kratos before PaRappa, Adventurer before Bubsy, and Chief before Clippy (for example) - the only real exception to this is Bad Piggies, which I'd be fine with, if not prefer, over the birds (though the birds are awesome picks too), and is still representing the Angry Birds franchise either way. Additionally, I don't think any of these characters barring Waluigi have a serious chance, and do not care either.

You don't need to say it. It's self-evident.
Well, if there's a joke here, can you explain it? Because I sure as hell did not intend for there to be any.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Okay, 25 wanted newcomers, let's see...

I'm picking strictly characters I want to see happen, but also characters I feel have a legit shot at happening. Nothing that is too obscure or characters that break the established rules (Like never being on a Nintendo system).

1.- Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
2.- Arle (Puyo Puyo)
3.- Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
4.- Ashley (WarioWare)
5.- Alear (Fire Emblem)
6.- Captain Toad (Super Mario)
7.- Waluigi (Super Mario)
8.- Impa (Legend of Zelda) <- Personal preference would be the first Hyrule Warriors version.
9.- Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
10.- Shantae (Shantae)
11.- Terra (Final Fantasy VI)
12.- Master Higgins (Adventure Island)
13.- Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
14.- Athena Asamiya (Psycho Soldiers / King of Fighters)
15.- Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
16.- Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers) <- Probably the only character in this list that is a legit longshot, and is likely not happening unless the series gets a Bayonetta-esque revival, which I still hold hope for.
17.- Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventures)
18.- Danganronpa character <- I'm not a big fan of Monokuma himself so I'd prefer a human character. Personal picks would be Chiaki, Nagito, Kyoko or Kokichi.
19.- Rayman (Rayman)
20.- Meowscarada (Pokemon)
21.- Midna (Legend of Zelda)
22.- Cuphead (Cuphead)
23.- Crono (Chrono Trigger)
24.- Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
25.- Zero (Mega Man X)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For garbage pick I select...

View attachment 381935

Nightmare from Metroid. Sickly looking boss and a pretty tough battle. Would love to see him as a boss in Smash.
He’d be killer, I like this idea.

To ensure this happens, I also hope that Darth Vader Raven Beak is a playable character in the next game and not used as a boss. :sakbanjo:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
For Octolings, something I don’t see brought up is ink colour issues, as both Inklings and Octolings will have to have different enough ink colours (not good for the colour blind).
I know this was somewhat addressed above, but you can already fight with 8 Inklings at the same time.
At that point you don't have to be color blind to have trouble telling what's going on. Safe to say they don't have a problem with it; it's part of the chaos of multi-player Smash.
Adding Octoling might enlarge the pool of available colors, but the number of colors used at once would still be capped at the number of players, presumably 8 at a time.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I know this was somewhat addressed above, but you can already fight with 8 Inklings at the same time.
At that point you don't have to be color blind to have trouble telling what's going on. Safe to say they don't have a problem with it; it's part of the chaos of multi-player Smash.
Adding Octoling might enlarge the pool of available colors, but the number of colors used at once would still be capped at the number of players, presumably 8 at a time.
I don’t think that accounts for if two players choose the same colour Inkling and Octoling if they are different characters on the select screen. It’s not like every player is forced to be the specific colour. Players can choose what alt colours they want.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So today...

PXL_20231219_180029560_copy_608x1081.jpg

... we knew about the three games I bought her (bottom row) so I asked her about the other three I didn't know about because I only listen when I'm actually listening.

"We bought those."

We? Uh.. sure! Y's 2? Lol! Never played it but when I saw a preview of 3 years ago I asked if they're good cause 3 looked awesome she's said "They're great they're just too short" hm .. welp now we have more games to think about. Y's... Yeeze ... Never played DQ10 either dang .. or Detective Pikachu! Sheesh ! _ !;

(So like is Y's a contender?)
((I'm off the fence. Hero's coming back, big.))
(((Pst Nintendo can we get a Detective Pikachu alt in the next game, please?)))

Edit

If I made a garbage pick it’d be trubbish
I'd take any evolution of them and treat it as an AoE but the reaction... There's already a sleep one and a time slowdown one what about crumple effect on a timer like togepi's meteor bursts?

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I don't play as Inkling that much, but given the attacks that actually leave ink, and the duration for which it lasts, you'd probably just be able to remember which is yours and which isn't. And if you're not playing as Inkling (or Octoling) you'd just... try to avoid all of it.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I don’t think that accounts for if two players choose the same colour Inkling and Octoling if they are different characters on the select screen. It’s not like every player is forced to be the specific colour. Players can choose what alt colours they want.
I was going off the premise that they would give Octoling 8 new colors not used by the Inklings.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This can still be solved by adding a few additional accessibility options. One possibility for example could be labeling the ink with the P1, P2, etc. icons as is already done for the actual fighters. The player icon would hover over spots covered in their ink.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't play as Inkling that much, but given the attacks that actually leave ink, and the duration for which it lasts, you'd probably just be able to remember which is yours and which isn't. And if you're not playing as Inkling (or Octoling) you'd just... try to avoid all of it.
Definitely me. If I'm covered in ink and blend in with the background I sometimes can't see well enough to time buttons, actually some of the visuals in Ultimate can be really insane like a Greninja on one of those omega versions it had grass and flowers and crap all up in the foreground and the "floor" was black lol

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It’s officially a glitch, so MissingNo isn’t debatable— there’s no chance. :crying:

View attachment 381936
It’s the most iconic glitch character but the real question comes down the whole idea of creating a character that’s intentionally is a design mess
It would be unlike anything seen in a fighting game as it’s a manifestation of glitch as a character

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It’s the most iconic glitch character but the real question comes down the whole idea of creating a character that’s intentionally is a design mess
It would be unlike anything seen in a fighting game as it’s a manifestation of glitch as a character
How about Ashura from Sonic 2?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
At the risk of getting told I'm memeing and not getting an actual explanation as to why they feel that way, I've always thought the genie from the box of Game Genie would be a cool Smash pick. Maybe he could give his opponents crappy cheats to slow them down, I've always liked the idea of a status-infliction-centric character

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't always 100% agree w/Wario Wario Wario on certain opinions on Smash, but I don't know why they have to be so questioned for wanting odd/unconventional picks, or why people often act pretty rude to them in general?
I'm sorry if I'm rude, but you can't want Smash to evolve into a celebration of gaming without dealing with the fact that it means pretty much every single pick has to be "hype". Including but not limited to Master Chief.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
At the risk of getting told I'm memeing and not getting an actual explanation as to why they feel that way, I've always thought the genie from the box of Game Genie would be a cool Smash pick. Maybe he could give his opponents crappy cheats to slow them down, I've always liked the idea of a status-infliction-centric character
I think if a genie gets in it'd be not that cause that's just an illustration but maybe the accessory could work Ive read ppl talk about a SNES scope lol so yeah ... But then yeah the legal thing but it's be like hey the shark from GameShark to which I say no bc it's Jaws and this is the first movie chr not original vgc in Smash called.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't always 100% agree w/Wario Wario Wario on certain opinions on Smash, but I don't know why they have to be so questioned for wanting odd/unconventional picks, or why people often act pretty rude to them in general?
I agree with this and I've noticed sometimes the dogpiling gets to be a bit overdone for certain unpopular opinions. I don't think we have to tell them that the characters they like are bad and "garbage", people can like what they want. I forget the reason but sometime a week or so ago we just got a slew of posts insulting another person, calling them stupid for their disagreeable opinion. I'm surprised more people didn't get warnings for that.

You do, however, open yourself up to criticism when you insult other popular characters. And that scrutiny can easily be extended onto your own values to highlight hypocrisy. Calling characters that other people enjoy a "waste" and calling the community's taste "lame" and then asking for Bubsy and Clippy is bound to be a magnet for frustration and well, confusion more than anything. So you have to be ready for people to question that when you're saying it would be confusing for audiences to have Banjo and Kazooie in the game, and then suggesting it would be cool to represent the Game Genie.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You do, however, open yourself up to criticism when you insult other popular characters. And that scrutiny can easily be extended onto your own values to highlight hypocrisy. Calling characters that other people enjoy a "waste" and calling the community's taste "lame" and then asking for Bubsy and Clippy is bound to be a magnet for frustration and well, confusion more than anything. So you have to be ready for people to question that when you're suggesting it would be confusing for audiences to have Banjo and Kazooie in the game, and then suggesting it would be cool to represent the Game Genie.
Yeah, this is probably a better way to state my issue with the whole thing, on top of the whole "Banjo should be MC" thing just asking for it to be a million times harder to ask "wouldn't it be cool if Bubsy was in the game?".

Like, if people are merely just calling Bubsy garbage in a world where Smash has Banjo but no Chief, if it was the other way around you'd be lucky to come out alive.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm intrigued by the idea of a Game Genie character but I think most people know the name and not the art, so I'd personally prefer some kind of item. Throw it and inflict a random debuff! That'd be fun.

If we're talking oddball picks, I really want a mount in Smash. Epona, Chocobo, etc.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know what? I'd like to get in on this 25 characters thing.

1. Bandana Waddle Dee
2. Dixie Kong
3. Arle Nadja
4. Shantae
5. Isaac
6. Chun-Li
7. Mona (WarioWare)
8. Lark (Pilotwings)
9. Takamaru
10. Ray (Custom Robo)
11. Barbara (Jam with the Band)
12. Lip
13. Toad/Captain Toad (w/ Toadette/Cadet Toadette Alph-styled alt., if possible)
14. Saki Amamiya
15. Prince Sable
16. Muddy Mole
17. Goku (Yuyuki)
18. Fighter Hayabusa or Starman
19. Waluigi
20. Rex
21. Spring Man
22. Chibi-Robo
23. Yuka (Rhythm Heaven)
24. Ayumi Tachibana
25. Sukapon

Obviously, I've got quite a good deal more, but you all did say 25, so...

Honestly, my pipe dream for SSBU in 2024 is a DLC expansion pack with not just new fighters, but new single-player content and QOL improvements as well. I know it’s probably way too late for anything other than the Spirit Events that we know for sure are coming BUT LET ME DREAM DAMNIT.
Given the upcoming Spirit Events and Sora's amiibo, I have to say; I AM curious as to what next year will entail...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Given the upcoming Spirit Events and Sora's amiibo, I have to say; I AM curious as to what next year will entail...
As much as I think SSBU Deluxe is unlikely and once clowned on the idea that FP3 could be a thing because of the Booster Course Pass, citing that Smash doesn't have a mobile game to take assets from, a mobile Smash isn't the only way they could cobble together a late expansion out of reused assets...

But with my stance on porting SSBU, I really shouldn't be arguing that FP3 is possible in any way, whether it's a bunch of echoes or something like FP2.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The problem with the celebration angle is you can't celebrate something like Bubsy.
No one celebrates massive failures like that. That's all Bubsy's legacy is. It's a series of well and truly awful games that were ripe to be mocked years ago. Time has moved on, no one even cares to mock it anymore. It has new releases that no one cares about and they're also bad games. There's no redeeming qualities here, let alone anything you could feasibly "celebrate"

If you want to "avoid misconceptions about gaming history" then you don't add Bubsy to the crossover fighting game that has Mario, Sonic, Steve, Cloud, Ryu, Solid Snake and Pikachu in it

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Given Nintendo's recent comments about not wanting to be "bound by the traditional concepts of the platform lifecycle" in their latest financial briefing, I could see a world where Nintendo continues to sell Ultimate and give it DLC support in lieu of releasing a new Smash. It simultaneously solves both the issues of no one being able to figure out how to top Ultimate and "Ultimate Deluxe" being unpracticable from a licensing perspective. Granted, this release scheme does rely on either (a) the Switch's Successor being backwards compatible or (b) Nintendo being able to reacquire the licenses for both the base game characters to stay base game characters and for the DLC characters to stay DLC. It would also be the only realistic way for Nintendo to get new, substantive Smash content out the door for the franchise's 25th anniversary (unless development on the next Smash started right after Sora).

In a world where GTA V can be a late 7th gen game, a game available throughout the entire 8th gen, and the newest GTA game for what will likely be the lion's share of the 9th generation, I could see Nintendo saying "**** it, just release Ultimate again".

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The closest thing to a celebration with Bubsy would be that of dark horse platformer mascots, and quite frankly there are far better candidates for such a spot.

Honestly, I think early video game/arcade history would be a generally interesting area to mine for elements in Smash, even if they weren't characters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Given Nintendo's recent comments about not wanting to be "bound by the traditional concepts of the platform lifecycle" in their latest financial briefing, I could see a world where Nintendo continues to sell Ultimate and give it DLC support in lieu of releasing a new Smash. It simultaneously solves the issues of no one can figure out how to top Ultimate and "Ultimate Deluxe" being unpracticable from a licensing perspective. Granted, this release scheme does rely on either (a) the Switch's Successor being backwards compatible or (b) Nintendo being able to reacquire the licenses for both the base game characters to stay base game characters and for the DLC characters to stay DLC. It would also be the only realistic way for Nintendo to get new, substantive Smash content out the door for the franchise's 25th anniversary (unless development on the next Smash started right after Sora).

In a world where GTA V can be a late 7th gen game, a game available throughout the entire 8th gen, and the newest GTA game for what will likely be the lion's share of the 9th generation, I could see Nintendo saying "**** it, just release Ultimate again".
Man, it is one thing to want an Ultimate Deluxe, but imagine the amount of work they'd have to if they had to make DLC in the way like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC was made, with all those tracks from the latter and all. I mean, I can't see more stages than characters made as DLC for an Ultimate Deluxe, but to match Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC, if they ever were to do it, that would be a lot of work.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Man, it is one thing to want an Ultimate Deluxe, but imagine the amount of work they'd have to if they had to make DLC in the way like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC was made, with all those tracks from the latter and all. I mean, I can't see more stages than characters made as DLC for an Ultimate Deluxe, but to match Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's DLC, if they ever were to do it, that would be a lot of work.
I don't think people using the BCP as an argument for more SSBU DLC literally mean they expect the roster to become twice as big, they're just using it as proof that a late DLC pass can be a thing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think people using the BCP as an argument for more SSBU DLC literally mean they expect the roster to become twice as big, they're just using it as proof that a late DLC pass can be a thing.
I was just saying just in case. As in, I just wanted to say something here, my thoughts, even if that wasn't what people were going for in this discussion. Okay?

Top Bottom