• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, now that I think about it, outside of those Mii costumes and the cast from XI, the non-Hero party members don't get very much in Smash Bros.

Thus, here's a list of DQ party members that could work as Smash fighters:

Tsarevna Alena (IV)
Terry (VI)
Yangus (VIII)
Jessica Albert (VIII)
Angelo (VIII)
Erik (XI)
Veronica (XI)
Sylvando (XI)

While we're at it, if the Slime becomes a fighter, what Dragon Quest characters (party member, monster, or otherwise) do you think would make a good Assist Trophy?
Here's some ideas:

Assist Trophies
Stella: Uses her whistle to call the starflight express and will travel around the stage. that will work as a stage hazard and a platform.
Angelo: Uses some moves he uses in the heroes games like Rain of Pain, Shining Shoot, peraphs some acrobatic moves like Harvest Moon, he could finish off with Pearly Gates.
Serena: Uses Grace of the Godess and a halo will aparear on the summoner, when the summoner touches the blast zone the summoner will be pushed outside the blast zone by a pair of divine wings, then the halo will disaparear.

Items:
Timbrel of Tension: If used the tension of the character will increase, if the tension reaches 100, the character will emanate a purple aura and will have messier hair and and angry expression, most attacks become a one-hit-ko at tension 100, however everytime the tensioned character conects an attack, the character will lose the tension.
Dream Blade: Has a 20% Chance of inducing the enemy to sleep.
Cautery Sword: Will release a wall of fire that will travel horizontally.
Holy Water: Has two uses: When consumed will repel the enemies, how much will repel them depends of the diference of damage and stocks. Or can be thrown to the enemy and will cause set knockback and damage.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The Bloodstained series is considered the spiritual successor to the Castlevania series, and so far there have only been three Bloodstained games. Does being considered a spiritual successor to the Castlevania series mean that future games will have the same kinds of monsters that Castlevania had? I wish the Castlevania series had continued, but I don't mind Bloodstained even though I haven't played any of its games, I'd also like to see Zangetsu and Miriam from the Bloodstained series come as newcomers to future Super Smash Bros. games.

toonito

Smash Ace
i might be off but IIRC its possible we can pinpoint september directs since they come right before tokyo game show

i think the direct last year was also a week before TGS

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
How likely do you think we'll get a new character or fighter pass reveal at the direct?
I personally give it 1%, i highly doubt it's happening and i would much rather they save the newcomers for the next game, but who knows, weirder things have happened.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
What new crossovers does everyone want to see with the next Smash? Mines come from my MWs.

Ryu Hayabusa - It'd be cool to finally see him with other NES characters, as well as Kazuya because I've always wanted a Tekken vs. Dead or Alive game.

Kunio and Riki - Also want to see them with NES characters but especially with Little Mac. There's just something about Punch-Out!! and River City that just seems like a good match for each other.

Doom Slayer - I gotta see Mario, Ryu, Cloud, Snake, and Doom Slayer together because they're like the kings of their genres.*

Billy and Jimmy - Seeing them with NES characters and also to represent their genre alongside the others I just mentioned.*

*NOTE: Sometimes, I like to have CPU matches with one character that represents a genre. Mario for Platformer, Ryu for Fighting Game, Cloud for RPG, Snake for Stealth, and (Mii) Doom Slayer for FPS. If Billy/Jimmy were in the roster, I'd have them for Beat'em Up.

However, I would alternate, so I'd also have either Kirby or Sonic for Platformer and Terry or Kazuya for Fighting Game, and Hero for RPG. So of course, if Kunio and Riki were to be in the roster, they would also be there for Beat'em Up.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
How likely do you think we'll get a new character or fighter pass reveal at the direct?
I personally give it 1%, i highly doubt it's happening and i would much rather they save the newcomers for the next game, but who knows, weirder things have happened.
Probably the Sora Amiibo, with a final balance patch while adding his data and that's about it.
From how some speculators/insiders talked, this is the final Switch focused direct, so, unless they use their blank shot already to update smash before their new console with content, I don't believe it.

If the new console is indeed retro-compatible like the rumors claims, and that Nintendo just want to keep smash Ultimate
And that there's noises about "revisiting smash"
Then yes, I can imagine them being like "HEYOOO SMASH ULTIMATE GET A BRAND NEW UPDATE ON SWITCH 2. INCREASE RESOLUTION, POLYCOUNT AND BRAND NEW ONLINE! YOU THOUGHT IT WAS OVER...BOOM MORE FIGHTERS ARE ON THE WAY!"
And then you re-release ultimate for the Switch 2 with a full DLC package.

That's probably how I see what's going to happens when the new console get announced'/fully unveiled.

But tomorrow, no, nothing beside Sora amiibo

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Maybe I will eat crow for this, but all these "rumblings" or whatever about Smash are all so vague that I think it's likely either nothing or something very minor and that's it.

IF there is something to them, though, I think it may actually be this:

If the next console is launching in 2024, then it would make sense for these rumors to be originating from a new project plan for a new game.
It would make sense for a project plan to be in the works around now, given that Ult's early 2016 plan was roughly a year before the Switch's launch...

The timeline doesn't line up as well for simply more DLC packs...Sakurai announced the DLC for Ult was decided in early Nov 2018, then the first pack (Joker) launched less than six months later in April. I mean the DLC could have been decided earlier than when Sakurai announced it was decided, though I doubt it was set in stone too long before Ult's launch. And we know some characters like Steve were in the works for a long time, but...I doubt something like inter-company negotiations would be leading into these public rumors; there would probably have to be something more tangibly planned with more people in the know for it to potentially leak out in this manner.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If there's a second DQ rep what character would you like to see? I personally think Torneko would have a unique moveset.
Psaro.

Though, I'd rather have Estark as a Boss than a 2nd Fighter.

Actually, on this note - if a Deluxe were to come out, would you prefer that clones, semi-clones and Echo Fighters are brought over from Ultimate as-is with no exceptions, all of them getting changed and made more unique, or on a case-by-case basis?
Case-by-case.

-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on TotK Ganondorf.
-Make Black Shadow the Echo of Captain Falcon and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo. That way, we have 2 Marths and 2 Chroms...instead of 4 Marths.
-Make Falco and Wolf more unique. Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link. There's tons to choose from.
-Rebrand Dr. Mario and Pichu as Echoes.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Other than amiibo compatibility, possible balancing, and what will likely be standard upscaling when run on the successor - at this point if Ultimate gets added to, it'll likely be in content exclusive to a Switch 2 re-release, with the deluxe label or however they market it.

People who may be looking to Mario Kart for the basis of these 'suddenly more Ultimate' hopes, remember before the MK8D DLC showed up, there were two active MKs in development (Tour and the inevitable MK9/next for the Switch 2), reused assets to just upgrade for 8D, and still, what? some two and a half years before the successor?

Maybe there's a Smash in development right now, but it's possible there's none of those parallels whatsoever. But if there is a Smash in development, stands to reason they'd just save any significant additions for that.

Calane

Smash Ace
It's been a very, very long time since I last visited Smashboards. And when I finally decide to come back, I see a nice DQ discussion. Feels good, man.

Whops didn't see NonSpecificGuy's message, editing the message.

If there's a second DQ rep what character would you like to see? I personally think Torneko would have a unique moveset.
My personal pick would be Alena, but I could also see Psaro being a good choice. Especially now, what with him being the protagonist of the new DQ Monsters game and all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I...
I have no word.

I thought I was done with that when Sora actually got in smash, but I give up.

If even Square-Enix comes forward, telling to the people giving them money "Yo bro, me and the mouse own that things togethers" and even explain "Yo the mouse has like 70% we have the last 30% but still, it's both our kid"
View attachment 377669

When the director of FFXVI and FFXIV explained to the fans that, it would be hard to get Kingdom Hearts items in FFXIV because it's both Disney and Square-Enix who own it like "Ayoo, can't do that, would take too long to do that **** bruh"
View attachment 377668

When Sakurai goes like "Ayo bro, to get that Mickey Mouse boy thing in it was hard bro, I had to asks to the Mouse, to Square-Enix AND To Nomura, nah bruh, like what"
View attachment 377667

And when the creator himself, Nomura is like "My kid belong to both Square-Enix and Disney"
View attachment 377666

If Disney has a copyright symbol on it, it's MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, They own the rights of Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Goofy, and like 80% of the world of Kingdom Hearts in it?
That copyrights laws go beyond a "c Disney" in term of ownership.

But you know what, sure, go ahead, you know more than the company itself lying to it's stakeholder or the people working for the IP.
I don't care, Sora is in smash, I know I'm right, and I know the Sora Amiibo is coming soon anyway.

So I give up, I'll just say that if I had to say what I really think.

Sorry for interupting your thread with proof and more for an IP and character that is now in smash. But I feel this is going to happens every time no matter what.
no. if it was referring to the just the disney characters it would list them separately. the symbol is referring to who owns the games. they have to credit the FF characters separately, they have to credit tarzan separately, the nightmare before christmas characters, even winnie the pooh at one point. if square owned part of it it would say so and the disney characters would be credited separately as owned solely by disney as what happens with the FF characters (and the twewy characters that one time). what they're talking about there can be described as symbolic at best cause disney no longer do whatever they want with the series after it ended badly. it doens't matter that he claimed this in 2004 cause all the copyright notices credit disney as the owners, and this was before disney tried to do they own thing with out SE, and it doesn't matter what was said in 2020 cause the copyright for the two upcoming games still credit disney. SE doesn't own KH in anyway. just them saying they do isn't evidence and does not erase the fact that the copyright still only credits disney as the owners

look I’m sorry for being short with you but what you are saying is that SE own that game but aren’t ever credited for owning the game which doesn’t make sense. even by their standards

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'll give Smash showing up at the direct generally a 2% chance: 1% for a Sora amiibo and corresponding update, 0.5% for something more substantial for Ultimate in addition to Sora's amiibo, and 0.5% for a surprise reveal similar to the Inkling trailer that confirmed the Switch would get a Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'll give Smash showing up at the direct generally a 2% chance: 1% for a Sora amiibo and corresponding update, 0.5% for something more substantial for Ultimate in addition to Sora's amiibo, and 0.5% for a surprise reveal similar to the Inkling trailer that confirmed the Switch would get a Smash.
Sorry, I had to. 😀

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Maybe I will eat crow for this, but all these "rumblings" or whatever about Smash are all so vague that I think it's likely either nothing or something very minor and that's it.

IF there is something to them, though, I think it may actually be this:

If the next console is launching in 2024, then it would make sense for these rumors to be originating from a new project plan for a new game.
It would make sense for a project plan to be in the works around now, given that Ult's early 2016 plan was roughly a year before the Switch's launch...

The timeline doesn't line up as well for simply more DLC packs...Sakurai announced the DLC for Ult was decided in early Nov 2018, then the first pack (Joker) launched less than six months later in April. I mean the DLC could have been decided earlier than when Sakurai announced it was decided, though I doubt it was set in stone too long before Ult's launch. And we know some characters like Steve were in the works for a long time, but...I doubt something like inter-company negotiations would be leading into these public rumors; there would probably have to be something more tangibly planned with more people in the know for it to potentially leak out in this manner.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 No Sora Amiibo yet, or even annnouncement , nor update to SSBU
1.1 new Amiibo announcements has, also, 100% always connected to a new release or announcement.

2 New Amiibo announced w/ Xenoblade 3 DLC finished & , no release date. , ( Noah & Mio )

3 Square Enix isn't marketing the SMRPG remake on social media, the last time they did this was for a direct announcement with DQ11S when it was revealed in the Feb 2019 direct, they only started marketing it a day before Hero's reveal.

4 The Gamecube Controller got restocked in Japan, last time that happened was with Vol. 2's reveal (3 weeks before)

5 Smash site updated, removing the accessories tab.

6 Next gen isn't launching until Sep/Oct 2024, they wouldn't reveal a "Deluxe" or 6 a year out, it would be more marketing than SSBU got.

1 Before the restocks, Papa heard ; "Something more may be happening with SSBU", the timeframe the source heard would of been June 2023.

2 The Gamecube Controller restocks aren't happening in USA yet, since NoA is the global marketing center for Nintendo, which probably means they're holding off for a announcement.

3 Necro Felipe , posted on X , in Portuguese
The folks who went crazy with Mario's Direct & are Nintendo fans , will still need tranquilizers in the coming weeks.
it would make a lot of sense though , if Sakurai is now close to finishing up with DLC.

i expect it to end with Smash Bros Content. Save the Best for last

Ivander

Smash Legend
Overall enjoyed the Direct, even if there were some moments where it really felt like padding. That said, I do hope to see some more Contra speculation, and I hope to see some support for the new game when it comes out too.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
So if you look back historically , the biggest SSBU DLC Directs happen in October, Steve & Sora

10/2019 was missed because 2 characters were revealed in the span of 2 months

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, no Smash Bros., aside from the Sora amiibo, was announced in the Direct...

Good to know. That would have been at the end of the lifecycle of the Switch, anyway. This also gives more room for the next Smash Bros. game to be made for next console, now that it is shown that Sakurai is in fact, not working on anything with Ultimate, despite what some people hinted.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It’s very bittersweet to see that Sora amiibo.

After 5 years, Ultimate will be fully and unambiguously complete.
How much does a collection of all Ultimate amiibos cost me? It’s gotta be at least $800.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Yah know, after the SMRPG was confirmed a lot of people are expecting Geno again for the next Smash and I kinda believed that as well.

This time... I dunno. My gut really tells me Paper Mario is actually likelier right now.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In celebration of the Paper Mario remaster, can we talk about Paper Mario as a fighter?
I have never been super interested in the idea mainly because I figured they would go for the more recent games when it came to moveset, but Thousand Year Door coming back does make me think they would go for the old style. It would be nice to get some hammer rep in a Mario fighter.

Yah know, after the SMRPG was confirmed a lot of people are expecting Geno again for the next Smash and I kinda believed that as well.

This time... I dunno. My gut really tells me Paper Mario is actually likelier right now.
Paper Mario being first party is a natural advantage, but I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Why do you guys think did took so long for the Sora amiibo?

Anyways, i think Contra got a good chance to get in next game, like looking at the new? game (not sure, never played the games) they seem like they'd have a cool moveset.

Top Bottom