• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think it makes sense to follow roughly the Smash 4 model. Initial trailer has the first newcomer and a montage of many of the big obviously returning franchises, reemphasizing the pure awesomeness of having all of them together in one game. Then follow that up in the same Direct with one or two more newcomers.
I don't think they need to mention cuts in the initial reveal. I agree it should be stated outright early on that not everyone will return, but I would put that in like one of the first segments where they are just talking about the game. It helps with pacing and not interrupting what are supposed to be hype moments; you want to be clear and honest with fans but not overemphasize content that is not going to be in the game. Idk if that means the first Direct where the game is revealed, the one after that, or an early-on dedicated Smash Direct.
Brawl-like newcomer blowout right at the start could be interesting I admit, but I think it's better to save more reveals for later. The blowout style also only works if you have several other big characters that can be safely left for later, like how Brawl still had like Diddy and Dedede on the board after the blowout, so it may depend on the composition of the newcomer roster.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Originally, if Hayabusa was going to be in Ultimate, I had the idea that his reveal trailer would be a continuation of Ridley's. But if he's going to be in the next Smash, then he might need an independent trailer.
Hayabusa's trailer should be a recreation of Ninja Gaiden's intro, with him and Greninja.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I think it makes sense to follow roughly the Smash 4 model. Initial trailer has the first newcomer and a montage of many of the big obviously returning franchises, reemphasizing the pure awesomeness of having all of them together in one game. Then follow that up in the same Direct with one or two more newcomers.
I don't think they need to mention cuts in the initial reveal. I agree it should be stated outright early on that not everyone will return, but I would put that in like one of the first segments where they are just talking about the game. It helps with pacing and not interrupting what are supposed to be hype moments; you want to be clear and honest with fans but not overemphasize content that is not going to be in the game. Idk if that means the first Direct where the game is revealed, the one after that, or an early-on dedicated Smash Direct.
Well I wasn't suggesting they'd like pause halfway through the newcomers trailer to be like btw there will be cuts, the whole first presentation is the first reveal. If it's like Ultimate where it's a tease that precedes the actual showcase, sure don't have it there, but I think, otherwise, the earlier the better.

And when you put it somewhere in the first presentation, there's enough other hype stuff that people will be distracted by things they like, and it gives people time to acclimate to the cuts. Though yeah, there's latitude; the second showcase wouldn't be the end of the world or anything, so long as there's still plenty of time left. The first produces positivity the easiest though, so slipping something negative in there will be most easily drowned out.

Brawl-like newcomer blowout right at the start could be interesting I admit, but I think it's better to save more reveals for later. The blowout style also only works if you have several other big characters that can be safely left for later, like how Brawl still had like Diddy and Dedede on the board after the blowout, so it may depend on the composition of the newcomer roster.
Well if it's like Ultimate you'd basically play almost your whole hand with a Brawl-like trailer. But otherwise, I think you really only need one megaton and one third-party to replicate it, the other newcomers don't need to reach that level. I mean, don't choose all divisive surprise characters, but if a base of normal volume becomes lacklustre after using one megaton, one third-party, and, like, 2-4 others, that's not a particularly auspicious sign for the remaining choices.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
DS reps? Here are some possibilities

• A gen 4/5 Pokemon
  • Dr. Kawashima from Brain Age
  • Dr. Lobe from Big Brain Academy
  • Savvy Stylist
  • Vince from Art Academy
  • a Rhythm Heaven rep (worldwide debut was on DS)
  • and just to get wild, Nintendog
I'd take any of these folks, plus:
Kyle Hyde
Ashley Mizuki Robbins
Naomi Moriha/Jasmine Callsign (from Jet Impulse)
Satoru (from Card Hero 2)
Sato Amatsubo (from Project Hacker)
Warrior Mech Gauss (from Chōsōjū Mecha MG)
Ouendan/Ouendan Cheerleaders/Elite Beat Agents/Elite Beat Divas
Barbara (from Jam with the Band)
A Fossil Fighters character
Aisya
Welt
Icarus (Glory of Heracles)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Our next DS rep will also be our next SEGA rep. That's right, get ready for the hero from Feel the Magic XX/XY

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
If they do reveal a Smash game, i say to have it similar to 4 and Ultimate where they were all the returning veterans in one trailer to rip the band-aid off on cuts leaving the rest of the release cycle for newcomers and newcomers only.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
So what are some new stages ideas you guys have?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...So no. Morrigan Aensland isn't a Deity. She's just a very high class powered character. And if she would act responsible, she could easily take her place as a top Noble. But chooses not to(cause Succubi like to have fun, I guess? It's not entirely clear why. The lack of games continuing doesn't help, and the animations/comics are either short adaptions or are wayyyyyyy too different to allow for any real development). She also has little to do with death as her theme. Not in the same way, as she's more of the fun-loving Succubus, not basically The Grim Reaper. Nobody in theme really is close to that(though we do have Anakaris, a mummy, who is almost closer in theme to some things like Sarcophagi).

Besides, there's way more powerful characters(including Pyron, Jedah, and Belial). She only has the potential to become the most powerful, but chooses not to.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just want more stages akin to what we got in 64 and Melee. I miss stages that felt like you were fighting in an actual location instead of a floating platform in front of it.

As for specifics, I’d love to see a TETRIS stage where you are fighting in an active game and the falling blocks act as platforms. It would be hard to KO in the beginning due to the layout being tall but would get easier as the match goes on and blocks begin to stack up.

I’d also love to see more stages that take more direct inspiration from levels in their layouts. Basically, you would cut a small section suitable for battle from a platforming game like Mega Man or DKC and fight on those platforms. One example is I’d love to see a Central Highway stage from Mega Man X with a collapsing bridge, Hornet Hole from Donkey Kong Country 2 with sticky honeyin parts of the stage, or the opening stage from Contra 3 with a section that had lava pillars that act as hazards and lava beneath ruins. The other half of the Contra stage would be simple platforms arranged like the early parts of the stage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
...So no. Morrigan Aensland isn't a Deity. She's just a very high class powered character. And if she would act responsible, she could easily take her place as a top Noble. But chooses not to(cause Succubi like to have fun, I guess? It's not entirely clear why. The lack of games continuing doesn't help, and the animations/comics are either short adaptions or are wayyyyyyy too different to allow for any real development). She also has little to do with death as her theme. Not in the same way, as she's more of the fun-loving Succubus, not basically The Grim Reaper. Nobody in theme really is close to that(though we do have Anakaris, a mummy, who is almost closer in theme to some things like Sarcophagi).

Besides, there's way more powerful characters(including Pyron, Jedah, and Belial). She only has the potential to become the most powerful, but chooses not to.
I genuinely thought her name was morganna, I thought we were talking about someone else

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Official Nintendo Direct Thread is up. If you can, please keep the majority of the Discussions of the Direct in there. As usual this thread will be closed at the start of the Direct and shortly after it ends. Please, do be respectful and keep any possible spoilers tagged in spoiler tags. Thank you!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
probably late but

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO

also worth noting, but i didn't say anything then: the Smash Ultimate Switch Pro controller has also been restocked after several years. probably not a big deal or a hint of bigger things to come, just something to keep in mind

...yup im late. but the spoiler stuff is new.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I know I might be too hasty, but I hope they mention something about the new Nintendo console and the new Super Smash Bros. game as well, but in general I hope you give us a trailer from Metroid Prime 4 this time, or some other game I don't have in mind. The only thing that is certain is that it will give us information and trailers for the games that are about to be released, such as for Super Mario Bros. Wonder for example.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
1. Would prefer doshin stage but that works I guess
2. Cool
3. Awesome we need cave stage
4. Ok I guess
5. Meh generic
6. Pretty good but would rather have timeless river stage
7. Meh Generic

Noipoi

Howdy!
Bowser in his new castle form. His eyes will track you across the stage and yes, it will be disturbing.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Bowser in his new castle form. His eyes will track you across the stage and yes, it will be disturbing.
Since you mentioned Bowser and his castle form, it makes me wonder if in the next Super Smash Bros. game or in general in future games in the Super Smash Bros. series they will give him this castle form as his Final Smash from here on out. However, I'm not sure I want them to change it for him.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Since you mentioned Bowser and his castle form, it makes me wonder if in the next Super Smash Bros. game or in general in future games in the Super Smash Bros. series they will give him this castle form as his Final Smash from here on out. However, I'm not sure I want them to change it for him.
Imagine getting Bowser's Castle as a Final Smash before a proper stage. :4pacman:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Aw hell naw

Bowser Castle on the Bowser Castle

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ive got a couple.
With a stage hazard involving the floor opening up akin to the medieval witch's court from Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, since the old bailey is a reskin of the witch court. Another hazard would be the scale of justice which flips back and forth as the battle goes on.

This stage would be similar to Orbital Gate Assault from Smash 4 but instead of the ships from Starfox is has you fighting on the backs of the ships from the SRW series. With a few of the robots fighting generic grunts in the background like in Ultimate's stage cameos

The world the Digimon call home is like ours but with weird bits of machinery sticking out the lush green landscapes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does it bother anyone else that Bowser Jr.’s clown car can’t hover in the air like it did in Bowser’s boss fight in Super Mario World. I’m not sure if giving Jr. a Peach like float jump would break him competitively but it always kind of bugged me that it couldn’t fly in any way.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Does it bother anyone else that Bowser Jr.’s clown car can’t hover in the air like it did in Bowser’s boss fight in Super Mario World. I’m not sure if giving Jr. a Peach like float jump would break him competitively but it always kind of bugged me that it couldn’t fly in any way.
Peach's only reasoning for keeping her float is that she has a legacy Moveset considering how float is basically broken code-wise.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Peach's only reasoning for keeping her float is that she has a legacy Moveset considering how float is basically broken code-wise.
That’s too bad. Peach’s float is fun and really makes her feel unique to use. It’s not a huge deal but it never quite felt right to me to have the clown car roll around on wheels when there was an existing Smash mechanic that would have fit perfectly.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Whops didn't see NonSpecificGuy's message, editing the message.

If there's a second DQ rep what character would you like to see? I personally think Torneko would have a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Whops didn't see NonSpecificGuy's message, editing the message.

If there's a second DQ rep what character would you like to see? I personally think Torneko would have a unique moveset.
My favorite is Red from Dragon Quest 8. I played the PS2 version so I never got to play as her but it’s cool they added her in later releases. I don’t have a ton of experience with the series as I’ve only played 8 and 11 but I also liked Jade, Hendrix, Erik, Jessica, and Angelo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom