• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Having the bad guys of first party and third-party franchises teaming up would be pretty fun to see.

This is what my version of a villain team would look like if I were to come up with my own story:
Leaders of the [insert evil army]
  • Bowser
  • Ganondorf
Generals (Working for the leaders)
  • King K. Rool
  • Kazuya
  • Sephiroth
  • Dedede (Betrays them and joins the heroes way later on)
  • Ridley
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • Wolf
  • Mewtwo (Maybe somehow brainwashed until returning back to normal joining good guys)
  • Dark Samus (The villains would somehow create her using the blue stuff AKA Phazon
I realize Bowser is the "main" villain of Nintendo, but he really doesn't make sense as an overall leader. He's too much of a dumb cartoon villain. Like, Sephiroth is NOT going to take orders from Bowser.

The way I see it, your villains more-or-less break down into 4 categories based on their motivations.

The Tyrants - Your villains motivated by a desired to dominate the world/universe. Your Ganondorfs, Mother Brains, Androsses, Dr. Wilys, Eggmans, etc. These are the ones that make the most sense as leaders, since they, ya know, actually want to be in charge.
The Greedy - Your villains that are motivated purely by their wants. Be it for money, or food, or what have you. Your K. Rools, Dededes, Warios, etc.
The Rivals - Your villains that are motivated by a desire to prove their strength/superiority to the hero. Your Dark Pits, Meta Knights, Basses, Shadows, Vergils, Majimas, etc.
The Omnicidal Maniacs - Your unstable villains that want to wipe out all life/destroy the world/erase existence/etc. Your Sephiroths, Giygases, Draculas, sometimes Mewtwos, etc.

I don't think making a playable fighter the final boss makes much sense or is particularly an exciting idea unless you're making them a super secret character or an alternative character like Giga Bowser. Like, I can play against Sephiroth or Ganondorf all the time, having them being the Big Bad Guy is just anticlimactic. Especially if you're also playing as them.
Not if their Boss form is different than their Fighter form. Like Ganon for Ganondorf, or Safer Sephiroth for Sephiroth.

My idea of going with a Dissidia like story with two opposing armies of light and dark would definitely require a big focus on adding villains to try to get the ratio a bit closer than it is. I feel like Smash could use more villains anyway so I think this would give them a great reason to up their representation even more.
Villains we need
Fighters:
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Firebrand [Ghosts 'n Goblins]
Wesker [Resident Evil]

Echoes:
Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
Liquid Snake [Snake]
Black Knight [Ike]
Shadow [Sonic]
Bass [Megaman]

Bosses:
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Astaroth [Ghosts 'n Goblins]

Assist Trophies:
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Majima [Yakuza]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Pyramid Head [Silent Hill]

Who would you choose for Antagonist in the next Smash game's story mode, if you could pick only one, ie The True Villain.
I can't imagine making a 3rd party character the big bad. I'm going to have to go with Ganondorf. He's both iconic enough, but also threatening enough to fit the role.

If Kirby were to be the final boss in the story mode of the next Super Smash Bros. game, it would be because he would be possessed by a dark force or an evil spirit and turn him into a monster or demon.
He tries to consume Giygas...

Kirbygas.png

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Awhile back I made a roster for an antagonists-only smash game. It was almost a year ago, so there are some decisions I would probably swap out, but I think it still largely holds up. Yellow are characters added to preserve the moveset of a character already on the roster.
Villains Roster.png

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Awhile back I made a roster for an antagonists-only smash game. It was almost a year ago, so there are some decisions I would probably swap out, but I think it still largely holds up. Yellow are characters added to preserve the moveset of a character already on the roster.
View attachment 365494
Robin looking around wondering how the **** he got here.
:080:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Poor rayquza
Yeah I don't quite remember why I went with Rayquaza (maybe because it was a boss in Subspace?). I would probably swap it out for something else, but I'm not quite sure what. I'd like to give a slot to the villain of Scarlet and Violet, but the tricky thing there is that it's a different character in each game with different Pokemon that couldn't really be alts of each other.. Maybe Volo/Giratina?
Robin looking around wondering how the **** he got here.
:080:
Mamboo is right, Robin is there to represent Grima. I 100% know they're separate characters, but here's the thing: Grima wasn't on the roster Maker and I'm lazy and didn't want to put him there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So. Here's a bit of a different topic.

JRPGs. Which JRPG franchise do you think is the most likely to join the roster?

I know we have a lot, but I expect to get a lot more.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Golden Sun!

Though why do expect to get a lot more JRPG franchises? JRPG characters, yes, we'll likely get a good number, but I would think most new ones would be from existing series like FE or XBC.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Undertale/Deltarune will be in the next smash game, I would bet money on it. Tales also has a good shot, as does Yakuza (which is a JRPG now I guess?)

First party wise, I think Golden Sun has nonzero chances - not likely but not impossible. We might also get an Advance Wars rep if the remake ever releases

Ivander

Smash Legend

Well, I know what you and me both are waiting for.

It's honestly one of the JRPGs I'm shocked has not gotten in yet, despite both acknowledgement from Sakurai and Namco helping with Smash Bros. And with Tales of Arise doing very well, at this point anyone's guess on who's going to be our first "Tales of" character when the series finally gets in.

That said, Golden Sun is certainly a 50/50. It just really depends on whether or not they finally think putting Isaac in is worth it. Quite honestly, Tales of and Golden Sun are my two top picks of most likely. That said, if one counts Monster Hunter as a JRPG franchise, Monster Hunter is also pretty high up on the likely list.

Edit: Oh yeah, Undertale/Deltarune are also pretty high. Like after the really positive reception to Sans' Mii Costume, not to mention Toby Fox recently working alongside Nintendo and Game Freak, I can't see them not trying to get Undertale/Deltarune in Smash Bros with an actual character.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Did Toby Fox make Undertale in Japan? Otherwise it's missing the J part of JRPG, isn't it? Even if it's clearly directly inspired by them.

Tales, Dark Souls, Nier and SMT all seem pretty plausible.

At the moment Golden Sun probably hinges on how many fan favorite first-parties they make room for. If there's a new release, things will change dramatically for the series' chances.

Not sure if Sonic Chronicles count. It uses a Japanese-created IP but it was developed by BioWare.
And everyone knows how controversial this game is in the Sonic community.
...who would we get? Shade?

What?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Though why do expect to get a lot more JRPG franchises? JRPG characters, yes, we'll likely get a good number, but I would think most new ones would be from existing series like FE or XBC.
Because regardless of what some people say, RPGs are a very big deal for a lot of people. They have been around for a long time and they are still quite popular. And much like we have a good number of FPS characters who've people have asked regarding Smash, like Team Fortress, Doom, Halo, Half-Life, heck unironically Goldeneye, we still have a whole lot of notable RPGs that haven't gotten into Smash Bros.
  • Golden Sun
  • Tales of
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dark Souls
  • Phantasy Star
  • Xenosaga
  • Shin Megami Tensei / Non-Persona
  • Yakuza
  • Ys
  • The Trails series
  • Crono Trigger
  • Nier
  • The World Ends with You
  • Undertale
  • Deltarune
  • Disgaea
  • Bravely Default
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Paper Mario
  • Non-Final Fantasy VII FF games.
  • And quite more.
It's just a notable genre with a lot of notable series and games with people that still hope they get into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I'll take "Falcom Representation" for 500, Alex.

Also, while I'm not sure if it's likely at this point, but quick honorable mention to Disgaea. NIS still has a good relationship with Nintendo from what I've gathered, so I could see it being a sleeper pick.
Not sure if Sonic Chronicles count. It uses a Japanese-created IP but it was developed by BioWare.
And everyone knows how controversial this game is in the Sonic community.
I want Shade in Smash anyways purely to spite Ken Penders.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Because regardless of what some people say, RPGs are a very big deal for a lot of people. They have been around for a long time and they are still quite popular. And much like we have a good number of FPS characters who've people have asked regarding Smash, like Team Fortress, Doom, Halo, Half-Life, heck unironically Goldeneye, we still have a whole lot of notable RPGs that haven't gotten into Smash Bros.
  • Golden Sun
  • Tales of
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dark Souls
  • Phantasy Star
  • Xenosaga
  • Shin Megami Tensei / Non-Persona
  • Yakuza
  • Ys
  • The Trails series
  • Crono Trigger
  • Nier
  • The World Ends with You
  • Undertale
  • Deltarune
  • Disgaea
  • Bravely Default
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Paper Mario
  • Non-Final Fantasy VII FF games.
  • And quite more.
It's just a notable genre with a lot of notable series and games with people that still hope they get into Smash Bros.
My brain was in base game mode. We'd probably get only 1 new JRPG third party franchise in base, tops. So potentially that + potentially GS would = 2 in base. I don't think Geno or Paper Mario are likely at this point.

In DLC there could be more and they've shown a propensity for choosing them, no doubt.

JRPG is one of my favorite genres, ya know. I'm not trying to talk smack about the genre itself.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Did Toby Fox make Undertale in Japan? Otherwise it's missing the J part of JRPG, isn't it? Even if it's clearly directly inspired by them.
In my opinion a JRPG doesn't need to be made in Japan, that name is just a vestige of weird development patterns from the 90's. Undertale and Deltarune are directly inspired by games like Earthbound and SMT, to claim that it shares a genre with Fallout and and not the aformentioned games seems weird. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I would probably consider Fromsoft games closer to being WRPGs instead of JRPGs, virtually the only thing they have in common with Dragon Quest is the country they were made in.

osby

Smash Obsessed

This might be a hot take but I honestly think Shin Megami Tensei has a good chance joining the roster eventually. After all, Nintendo already dealt with ATLUS for Joker and a character from a different series may be a more attractive pick if we do end up getting another.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
In my opinion a JRPG doesn't need to be made in Japan, that name is just a vestige of weird development patterns from the 90's. Undertale and Deltarune are directly inspired by games like Earthbound and SMT, to claim that it shares a genre with Fallout and and not the aformentioned games seems weird. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I would probably consider Fromsoft games closer to being WRPGs instead of JRPGs, virtually the only thing they have in common with Dragon Quest is the country they were made in.
It's Japanese-style, for sure. But... I wouldn't call a From Soft game a WRPG, would you? It's just has some of its sensibilities.

Seems like calling Avatar or the Boondocks an anime. They're clearly directly inspired aesthetically by anime, but... are they?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's Japanese-style, for sure. But... I wouldn't call a From Soft game a WRPG, would you? It's just has some of its sensibilities.

Seems like calling Avatar or the Boondocks an anime. They're clearly directly inspired aesthetically by anime, but... are they?
TBF, the term "western anime" has been gaining traction in recent years...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Anime and Video Games aren't really the same thing.

JRPG is actually a Japanese-style RPG due to the type of storytelling it has. WRPG was based around a certain kind of gameplay instead first. Anime is basically just Japanese Animation, and it's worth noting that Cartoons(Western Animation) came first too. Anime also was basically just another form of animation that was adapted from Manga(not that unique anime doesn't exist, of course).

They really have nothing in common beyond some country origin, which doesn't really matter in that case. Especially since Western is used for things that aren't from that particular part of the world, like various Middle East and European(in general) Animation. The most common being French Animation. Which is more what Avatar is, for the record. It's nothing like the normal US-like Animation(the more normal Western Animation as it's used, or Cartoons). Avatar isn't a "Cartoon" in the same way. It's actually much closer to being a fusion of Anime and Cartoons instead, having traits of both.

I'd like to remind people that the original RPG was Western first, and Dragon Quest, the first JRPG is only the J part because of its type of storytelling, not because of its gameplay. There's many games easily made in the West that are a Japanese-Style Roleplaying Game, and at most may have references to some Western ones. Undertale is directly Japanese-style, with one Western influence, but the rest being... literally Japanese games. Toby Fox being American doesn't change the genre at all. Something to note as while it has a minor Western element, the rest are pretty much Japanese elements. It's pretty much a JRPG with a single Western element to it when it comes to gameplay(the ability to befriend a monster, but that's still inspired by SMT, so it's not even that Western).

At least in animation, they have a case where a Cartoon can try to be similar to Anime with the term Animesque. This has nothing to do with Video Games either, as they don't work the same way. They have very specific genres based upon a combination of gameplay and story. Things like artstyle rarely matter, but the atmosphere of a game can(like how Horror is based mainly on atmosphere, with gameplay as sometimes part of it, but the latter varies far more).

If you want it to be more obvious, "American Video Games" and "Western RPG" are not actually something that inherently correlates. If Undertale had no actual Western elements at all, it'd be solely a JRPG instead of one with a few Western notes. It's more comparable to how Zelda(bar Zelda II) has a few RPG elements, but it's not really an RPG straight out by any means. It's an Action Adventure game with some RPG elements. After that, the only Zelda games with straight rpg pieces are a few spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors' level up system.

It's also worth noting that unlike Animation, which isn't just Western and Eastern types(as there's more), there isn't a country split to the same degree. There isn't a French RPG type. There's just Western and Japanese RPG. And that's because the genres are split entirely differently and have completely unique traits that Anime and Cartoons(which as noted, are split between Western and various European types) wouldn't. Not much more to say than they're apple to oranges comparisons due to intricately different situations.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord

JRPG is actually a Japanese-style RPG due to the type of storytelling it has. WRPG was based around a certain kind of gameplay instead first. Anime is basically just Japanese Animation, and it's worth noting that Cartoons(Western Animation) came first too. Anime also was basically just another form of animation that was adapted from Manga(not that unique anime doesn't exist, of course).

They really have nothing in common beyond some country origin, which doesn't really matter in that case. Especially since Western is used for things that aren't from that particular part of the world, like various Middle East and European(in general) Animation. The most common being French Animation. Which is more what Avatar is, for the record. It's nothing like the normal US-like Animation(the more normal Western Animation as it's used, or Cartoons). Avatar isn't a "Cartoon" in the same way. It's actually much closer to being a fusion of Anime and Cartoons instead, having traits of both.

I'd like to remind people that the original RPG was Western first, and Dragon Quest, the first JRPG is only the J part because of its type of storytelling, not because of its gameplay. There's many games easily made in the West that are a Japanese-Style Roleplaying Game, and at most may have references to some Western ones. Undertale is directly Japanese-style, with one Western influence, but the rest being... literally Japanese games. Toby Fox being American doesn't change the genre at all. Something to note as while it has a minor Western element, the rest are pretty much Japanese elements. It's pretty much a JRPG with a single Western element to it when it comes to gameplay(the ability to befriend a monster, but that's still inspired by SMT, so it's not even that Western).

At least in animation, they have a case where a Cartoon can try to be similar to Anime with the term Animesque. This has nothing to do with Video Games either, as they don't work the same way. They have very specific genres based upon a combination of gameplay and story. Things like artstyle rarely matter, but the atmosphere of a game can(like how Horror is based mainly on atmosphere, with gameplay as sometimes part of it, but the latter varies far more).
As soon as the genre becomes JSRPG I will agree with you that it demonstrably stands for Japanese-style role-playing game.

As it is now, the term is ill-defined. Because while Dragon Quest fits, so does Bloodborne. So does Monster Hunter. People would argue that Undertale fits. Your definition isn't ubiquitous. It's your take.

But by the same mark, Dark Souls would fit as a WRPG. Of inspiration and influence, sure. But carrying that label is pretty questionable to me.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

If you want it to be more obvious, "American Video Games" and "Western RPG" are not actually something that inherently correlates. If Undertale had no actual Western elements at all, it'd be solely a JRPG instead of one with a few Western notes. It's more comparable to how Zelda(bar Zelda II) has a few RPG elements, but it's not really an RPG straight out by any means. It's an Action Adventure game with some RPG elements. After that, the only Zelda games with straight rpg pieces are a few spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors' level up system. It's also worth noting that unlike Animation, which isn't just Western and Eastern types(as there's more), there isn't a country split to the same degree. There isn't a French RPG type. There's just Western and Japanese RPG. And that's because the genres are split entirely differently and have completely unique traits that Anime and Cartoons(which as noted, are split between Western and various European types) wouldn't. Not much more to say than they're apple to oranges comparisons due to intricately different situations.
1671861197632.png

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I have my personal wants for JRPG series, but i feel like Tales of is long overdue.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Anime is weird, because it started as shorthand for "Japanese Animation" and has kinda morphed into it's own thing. It's both an art style and a genre and a medium all at once and also not really. It also becomes an interesting question when you have a guest Japanese animator do something for a western show (or vice versa). Was the Simpsons episode done by the Death Note guys an anime? It's all very nebulous and honestly I don't care.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As soon as the genre becomes JSRPG I will agree with you that it demonstrably stands for Japanese-style role-playing game.

As it is now, the term is ill-defined. Because while Dragon Quest fits, so does Bloodborne. So does Monster Hunter. People would argue that Undertale fits. Your definition isn't ubiquitous. It's your take.

But by the same mark, Dark Souls would fit as a WRPG. Of inspiration and influence, sure. But carrying that label is pretty questionable to me.
You're only going by name, not remotely by any kind of definition. Thus, I don't see how this makes any sense and don't see any reason to continue. You don't want to go by how they're defined or any context beyond literally the name, so it's kind of impossible to have a legitimate conversation of what makes a JRPG/Eastern RPG it.

What I can say is that non-Japanese games have been labeled official JRPG's before, which is why the term Eastern RPG(the more correct term these days) is used. In addition, the actual original name is Console RPG's. JRPG was a poor new name used when the games were released outside of Consoles. Eastern RPG's became the new name when it was clear that it was far more a style and wasn't about being made just by a Japanese company.

For example, say an all new Final Fantasy JRPG would be released on PC only. Now, keeping in mind Console RPG is the original name, is it suddenly not a JRPG now cause it didn't fit the Console part? We all know that makes no sense, and thus, getting hung up entirely on a name and not how it's defined doesn't help.

It's also not ill-defined(in fact, you can find a ton of information on both. Including how the term Western RPG covers the entirety of Europe if we're going by name alone. ...Which includes the Middle East. Wait, that makes no sense. How can it be both Western and Eastern at the same time? Oh, right, cause the name isn't the point). You just didn't look it up very carefully. There's more than 2 types of RPG's, after all(I.E. Action Adventure, Shooter, etc). Western RPG's biggest defining traits is wide-open sandbox gameplay/story(yes, both), meaning no linear paths by design. Whereas the Eastern RPG's key thing is that it has a linear path and was originally designed to be for console releases(with WRPG being for things like PC's), but obviously the latter can't be its defining trait now, can it? It's fairly clear that being too hung up on a name completely misinforms people about its nature entirely.

I'll read your next message, but your only point is to continue on the name and not how it's defined properly, then there's no conversation to be had. You feel the name is all that matters at that point instead of reading up on anything. Cause if you took the time to do the research, you would know that it was always about style to begin with the second the term Console RPG became straight-out outdated. But more importantly, I'm sure you know why I bring up the original name, since it does prove things get outdated and redone to further articulate the legitimacy of the terms' own definition. If you want a good read, I suggest Wikipedia and TVTropes' information on them, as both are very informative on its history and explanation thereof how it's defined.

To further note on what I just said, the official term even Wikipedia uses is "Eastern", and more refers to the games being made in East-Asia regions. So even then, it only being in Japan is... clearly not accepted as accurate anymore. The final thing to clarify, is that these are genres, and all genres are about the types of specific materials used within said game in what defines a world, gameplay, story, and more. The country of origin(in this case, countries, not a single one) isn't really a key factor at all to a Genre. To even further quote the exact wording; A game that adheres to certain fictional tropes, such as fantasy or science fiction." I don't know about you, but that sure sounds like the style of how the game is made specifically. Since that's pretty much... what tropes are about, how something is defined directly based upon how the work is created.

The other description is "A genre is a particular type of literature, painting, music, film, or other art form which people consider as a class because it has special characteristics." In other words, the definition does... actually matter too. And WRPG and ERPG are both literally a type of genre of RPG. ...I also might see now why JRPG is used, since ERPG sounds too much like Ero Role Playing Game. So it's probably more of a "quick nickname for sanity" than anything else. But that's kind of why getting hung up more on names instead of their definitions is clearly better, heh.

I honestly don't see what you mean beyond "you shouldn't use more than 300 words". I don't reduce posts for the sake of it for anyone. I will split up paragraphs and put stuff in folders to help make it more readable, but I cannot do anything beyond that.

If you can't reply due to it being a middle-sized post(mine doesn't even hit that, but let's say it did for the sake of this) or a really lengthy post, I can't legitimately help you in that regard. You don't need to read or reply to it either. That's fine. But I'd rather you actually explain the issue without using some silly picture that doesn't even tell me what's going on. Please explain why you can't read it better. Just your own words. I'll do a favor and split up the only paragraph that's a little long to help, but I can't really do anything beyond that without a better and clear explanation of the issue. I know some of my paragraphs do get long and I try to keep them split more often, as others sometimes have a harder time reading it.

I am an articulate person. I don't do short sentences unless there's not enough to say. I don't expect all to read it, but unless a paragraph or entire post is really lengthy(of which both I can fix), I again can't really help make it better. That's the limit of my abilities.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
If we're posting rosters, I'll toss this one I made into the ring.

View attachment 36541990 characters in total, if you split Pythra and the Hisui Trainer's Pokemon (which would be Oshawott, Quilava, and Hisui Decidueye).

While they aren't pictured, I also envisioned ten Echo fighters, which would round this up to an even 100, discounting Miis (I consider them extra fighters tbh).
1. Daisy (Peach)
2. Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
3. Dark Samus (Samus)
4. Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
5. Dark Pit (Pit)
6. Lucina (Marth)
7. Shadow (Sonic)
8. Ken (Ryu)
9. Ms. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
10. Rock Howard (Terry)
This is way later, but I really like the aesthetic choices/using more classic art for most of the characters. Mainly a fan of Rhythm Heaven's Tibby and the Atari Dragon as character choices, although it's all generally solid.

Here are some old wackadoo rosters under varying premises, none of which are for what I think would actually be Smash's future. I'll try and make something like what I think makes actual sense later.
super-smash-bros-new-generation-alt-option.png
new vg all star smash roster smashboards.png

ssb-roster-redux-3.png

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Gun to my head, Tales, Ys, and Phantasy Star have the best shot. Would explain these more bot holiday times have me busy. Lloyd Irving is a reasonably popular fan request and has been for a while. It also shows no sign of stopping soon, Arise was a big hit. Ys is a real long runner and was super influential back in the day. I would not be shocked if Falcom had a similar spot in the next Smash that SNK had in Ultimate. As for Phantasy Star, it’s also long running and influential. Heck, Sakurai was a big fan of the series in the late 80s early 90s when it came out, even winning a fan contest. It has a successful MMO nowadays too.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Ah yes, stating the fact that over 97% of the roster in 25 years is made up of japanese IPs is self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing, now i've seen everything. I'm really not sure how to respond to this. Pretty rude, even!

Great, but why are you even arguing about an entirely different topic (3rd parties being impossible) when we are talking about western 3rd parties being a rarity here? What's the point of comparing apples to oranges again?

Ok, i'm going to cut you off here since you've been pretty damn abrasive with a whole lot of strawmanning/ad hominiem even through i've been civil before my response, so i'm not going to respond unless there's a better counterpoint that i feel like addressing. I'm just going to point out to the remaining bit that yes, even through blizzard IPs technically represents "untapped audiences" this argument can apply to any gaming company not included in smash. So why is say, a blizzard character (now a microsoft character btw) any more likely than say, a valve character?

The funniest bit about the whole conversation that i'm not even arguing that we wouldn't even see any more western characters
Ah well you have my apologies then. I did intend to be confrontational but I didn't mean to be abrasive or rude. Rereading my post I can see how it would come across that way and despite that not being my intention I am sorry. My guess is that your post gave me a mild feeling of anxiety/upsetness that I lashed out a little. I try not to do that. I associated your posts with dismissive troll like posts I was accustomed to seeing on the GameFAQs board. The scrimblo blimbo meme as it were.

My argument is essentially that I think there's at least an equal case to be made that there will be more western representation in the future and it's precisely because of the floodgates, albeit marginally, being opened for them during Ultimate's cycle. That's all. I guess I also just think it's a boring/safe argument to say we'll get the same amount of westerns reps in the next Smash cycle because of past precedent and I used the prior games breaking of precedent as my case for that.

My PC audience argument absolutely applies to companies like Riot games or Valve getting characters too minus the established connection portion with regards to Microsoft already making these deals but that by no means excludes companies like Riot and Valve from making these deals in the future. I think the PC audience is gonna be tapped. It's just too big of an opportunity to ignore I feel like. I just personally think Blizzard IPs would make for a great dipping of toes into these waters because of the aforementioned Microsoft connection AND because stylistically they're a fairly natural complement to what Nintendo's got going on already. They also do have games on Nintendo platform but Valve is starting to try that too. I'm not sure about Riot games in this regard.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

In my opinion, Estelle from Trails in the Sky deserves a special mention, at the very least.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Alright, you all convinced me to keep the Mii's. I was a little wary of whether Mii's would remain post-Switch, but perhaps they will. The roster is now slightly bigger with 105 characters. And 20 cuts from Ultimate. Oh, and I added a random icon too.
I like it
Although I would replace Chun-Li, Hornet, Kerrigan with Bomberman, Isaac and Sukapon

Stratos

Smash Ace
Honestly this topic I'm writing now I don't remember if I wrote it before, but with the new Pokémon anime series they will also play Pokémon movies starring Liko and Roy or will they make movies with Ash and Pikachu or maybe they won't make no pokemon movies at all? If there are Pokémon movies will Nintendo Pictures produce them? However, I would like them to continue releasing Pokémon movies either with Ash and Pikachu or Liko and Roy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
you should try being an inarticulate person with the vocabulary of a thesaurus thrown into a blender
What does this even mean? That I don't use enough unique words? That doesn't matter as long as it's clear. Which is always the most important.

I honestly can't tell if you're trying to insult me or something because of how you phrased this. And I don't want to assume you're trying to be insulting either, of course. Please elaborate better.

Surprised that no one mentioned Neptunia, everyone is tired of me btw.
Unfortunately, it's a niche series that basically doesn't get a lot of attention on this forum. Smashboards has its own bubble, so some series simply won't gain attention here. Regardless of how notable they are otherwise. Tis life. I've seen some LP's of it and it's pretty cool, that said.

Top Bottom