• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I'm known here for being very critical of people and game companies, and I have ripped on Sw/Sh here many a time. I think BDSP was a failure overall as Gen 4 fans got done dirty, and I felt that Legends Arceus was a step in the right direction but having seen some of the final gameplay it felt like it was in beta still and I decided GameFreak still hasn't done enough to get my money.

That being said, I think Scarlet and Violet thus far are showing that GameFreak might be listening and are possibly breaking away from catering entirely to children with the IP. The past two main series titles were horribly hand-holdy and linear, but S/M made up for this with it's story and characters (that US/UM took a dump on) and a fun region that tried something new and had a lot of great Pokemon designs. Sw/Sh was glitchy (to the point of being broken in some ways), bland, even MORE hand-holdy and linear, was not graphically impressive and was in fact lacking among MANY other issues, and I personally felt that no single new Pokemon spoke to me.

Sc/Vi seems different. I'm already impressed by one of the starters (especially after seeing his little hair flick), 4-player local is absolutely amazing and a step in the right direction, ACTUAL OPEN WORLD that hopefully really means what they say and allowing you to go to any city in any order instead of being linear in design and following a path everywhere is huge, and it seems like we may be carrying things over from both traditional Pokemon and Legends Arceus which fits with this theme of Past vs Future. It's also looking like there may be more differences between versions than we've ever seen before, so maybe more unique experiences and not just a slimey cash grab? I'm still cautious, but I'm more optimistic this time around.
not that you’re setting yourself up for disappointment

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anyways, to hopefully steer away from Pokémon a tiny bit, who would y’all choose for every Third Party Company in Smash if they were to get another rep?
Konami - Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Sega - Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
Capcom - Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
Bandai-Namco - Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
Square-Enix - Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
Microsoft - Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
SNK - SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]

dream1ng

Smash Lord

If this keeps up, then Sans may as well be a shoe-in for the next Smash...
I mean, probably not Sans, but definitely a character from one of his games. Frisk, Papyrus, or Kris.
Sakurai doesn't work at Game Freak. Lots of entities have working relationships with Nintendo. Likelihood doesn't scale with closeness of the relation, unless Nintendo all but adopts the IP like Bayo. Nintendo basically has Koei-Tecmo on retainer, and a lot of good that's done them to get on the roster.

If Toby Fox gets a character, it'll be due to the merit of his properties, not because he has an in with Pokemon. Toby Fox already knows Sakurai.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If a character did get a bronze medal for Smash Bros with Mii Costume, Assist Trophy and/or spirit, then there is a chance for them in the next game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If a character did get a bronze medal for Smash Bros with Mii Costume, Assist Trophy and/or spirit, then there is a chance for them in the next game.
Yeah, I like to see AT's as being a compensation for not being able to be fully playable for whatever reason; they'll get their shot in the next game.

TBH I'm still glad no AT's were promoted as DLC in Vol. 2

toonito

Smash Ace
Still on Pokémon? My god. Anyways, to hopefully steer away from Pokémon a tiny bit, who would y’all choose for every Third Party Company in Smash if they were to get another rep?
Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Arle Nadja
Capcom: Dante (very tough call since Capcom has 4 of my top 10 most wanted)
Square-Enix: 2B
Disney: Riku
Bandai-Namco: Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
SNK: Marco (Metal Slug)
Microsoft: Crash Bandicoot

What would be your options for character released of the AT prission?

Mines would be Lyn, Tiki, Isaac, Alucard and Takamaru.
Zero, Guile, Waluigi, Ghirahim, Bomberman

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
What would be your options for character released of the AT
I'm going to include ATs from past Smash games here, also.

Isaac and Lyn are the full-bias picks for me. And if it counts, an Advance Wars rep (not literally just the Infantry & Tanks, but they'd figure into the moveset, I'd imagine).

But even after that there are quite a few more I'd like to see (order not important):
Waluigi
Skull Kid
Midna
Ghirahim
Mother Brain (assuming workable moveset)
Krystal
Mr. Resetti (assuming Tom Nook is also in)
Saki
Dr. Kawashima (if eligible)
Nintendog (if eligible)
Callie/Marie
Spring Man
Excitebiker
a Ray model (if Custom Robo were to be revived successfully somehow)

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
( _ EUNIE + TAION _ ) from XBC3

MASTER CHIEF __ HALO __ via 343I & MICROSOFT

AHRi __ ( League of Legends ) __ via Riot Games & Tencent

SPITFIRE __ ( Dungeon Fighter Online ) __ via Neople

New Character ?? __ from __ Tales of __ via Bandai Namco

And I already clarified that how you look at the game is not the only way the game should be looked at or designed around. Having every character be designed where you value being 'effective' or optimal eventually leads to only having one character with different colors. Characters have to play different from another and need to have flaws to create diversity in the roster: if everyone plays the same, then people will just flock to their favorite skin over that playstyle and bore themselves much faster as there are less options. Who cares if some characters aren't as good with aerial options in a game where aerial options are a key factor? Learn how to play to your strengths and adapt to the match at hand. Even if the game is changed so that the entire roster has better aerial options, some characters would still suck in that regard in comparison to others, and that's something you need to accept as a part of game design.
Multiversus has a pretty interesting design and all those characters seem to be pretty effective. I still don't get where your " the whole roster will just be different skins comes from ? Also Iconicness really means nothing to me if they do not play well or are too annoying.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
( _ EUNIE + TAION _ ) from XBC3

MASTER CHIEF __ HALO __ via 343I & MICROSOFT

AHRi __ ( League of Legends ) __ via Riot Games & Tencent

SPITFIRE __ ( Dungeon Fighter Online ) __ via Neople

New Character ?? __ from __ Tales of __ via Bandai Namco
I'm, uh, pretty sure they stopped updating Ultimate's code...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh damn, that's right. Monkey Island is Lucas Arts, which makes it a Disney franchise (I think..... did they buy all Lucas properties, or just the film division?).
Yeah they own the Monkey island series, as well as any other game IP lucasfilm owns like Day of the tentacle or Grim Fandango.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I find it strange when people ask for Sandbag instead of Bonus-Kun from Galaxy Fight he is basically the original fighting game Sandbag and also a parody of Ryu who travels across the world looking for challenge it would be a perfect opportunity to make him meet Ryu.
Still on Pokémon? My god. Anyways, to hopefully steer away from Pokémon a tiny bit, who would y’all choose for every Third Party Company in Smash if they were to get another rep?
Konami: Bomberman
Sega: Alex Kidd
Capcom: Hsein-Ko (Darkstalkers)
Namco: Agumon (Digimon) or Ms. Pac-man as Echo fighter
Square-Enix: :geno:
Microsoft: Crash Bandicoot
SNK: Marco (Metal Slug)
Disney: Penguin (Club Penguin)
What would be your options for character released of the AT prission?

Mines would be Lyn, Tiki, Isaac, Alucard and Takamaru.
Bomberman, Sukapon, Isaac, Skull Kid, Black Knight

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Pleasant surprise to see that Lyn love on these AT lists.

For those listing Black Knight, would you still be including him if he was not an Echo?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Pleasant surprise to see that Lyn love on these AT lists.

For those listing Black Knight, would you still be including him if he was not an Echo?
Yes even if he is not an echo Fire Emblem has 8 characters but none of them is a villain which isn’t a good representation to me I would pretty much rather have him over any another fire emblem protagonist

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'll need to make two takes on this: Who I think is likely to happen, and who I'd like.
  • Sega: Dr. Robotnik or Tails
  • Konami: Raiden/Bomberman
  • Capcom: Dante/Phoenix Wright
  • Bandai: Nightmare/Mitsurugi
  • Square Enix: Dear Masahiro Sakurai...
  • SNK: Kyo/Iori if they double-dip, otherwise Haohmaru/Nakoruru
  • Microsoft: Crash/Chief
  • Disney: Roxas/Riku
Now, as for who I would pick...
  • Sega: Axel Stone from Streets of Rage/Ax Battler or Tyris Flare from Golden Axe
  • Konami: Goemon from the Mystical Ninja series
  • Capcom: I'd be fine with pretty much any fighting game character they could add, but I'm rooting for Viewtiful Joe
  • Bandai: Lloyd Irving/Klonoa
  • Square Enix: There are many secrets in this land...
  • SNK: Galford/Predictabo!
  • Microsoft: Spyro/Sabrewulf
  • Disney: Any representative of ToonTown Online, primarily Flippy.
As for AT promotions, I think the most likely are The Wah, Isaac, Skull Kid, Shovel Knight and Krystal, and if you replace Shovel Knight with Lyn, that's my wanted list. Only thing better would be Custom Robo being loved by Nintendo again.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Midna
Ghirahim
Look, I understand Lyn since fans have made her one of the biggest icons of the series, she's gotten in the first Fire Emblem Warriors, and she's had a whole bunch of variants in Heroes plus a collector's figure.

I can even understand Krystal, as even though she's not in the newest reboot, she was a major character for several games in a row.

But why are these two still in conversation from multiple people? They've been left by the wayside in terms of marketing AND are one-shots in a series with a fairly consistent main cast. For established franchises, you can have a recurring character left by the wayside OR a one-shot that's been marketed heavily, but NOT a one-shot that's been abandoned.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well on the subject of ATs to playable characters i'd go with isaac, skull kid, midna, tingle, nintendog, prince of sable, sukapon and vince

on the subject of newcomer per 3rd party company

sega: tails
capcom: phoenix wright
namco bandai: augumon or kilik
microsoft: grunty
square enix: probably neku
disney: riku
konami: hmm now that i think about it i dont think ive played any of their games. ill get back to you on that one

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
If I had to pick:
  • SEGA: Tails
  • Capcom: Phoenix Wright or Jill/Leon.
  • Square: Slime or Yangus
  • Bamco: Lloyd.
  • Microsoft: Don't really care.
  • SNK: Athena.
  • Konami: Bomberman.
  • Disney: N/A

Bamco - Kite from .hack but more likely it'll be Chosen Undead, especially after the false hope during Sora's reveal. I wonder if Bamco is capable of putting together their own Dark Souls game without FromSoftware? They should really try considering it's one of their flagship series. Sorry Digimon I love you too! I just think the .hack franchise has an even worse chance than you! It's a compliment!
FromSoftware is barely capable of making a Dark Souls game without Miyazaki.

Plus, at this point, I'd sooner expect the Tarnished from Elden Ring over the Chosen Undead.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
FromSoftware is barely capable of making a Dark Souls game without Miyazaki.

Plus, at this point, I'd sooner expect the Tarnished from Elden Ring over the Chosen Undead.
Elden Ring is still fairly new, they would likely take from Dark Souls for the history and for the dedicated fans that have been around prior to this resounding success. Just seems a bit too early for that, but you never know, and honestly there wouldn't be much difference overall anyway.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Look, I understand Lyn since fans have made her one of the biggest icons of the series, she's gotten in the first Fire Emblem Warriors, and she's had a whole bunch of variants in Heroes plus a collector's figure.

I can even understand Krystal, as even though she's not in the newest reboot, she was a major character for several games in a row.

But why are these two still in conversation from multiple people? They've been left by the wayside in terms of marketing AND are one-shots in a series with a fairly consistent main cast. For established franchises, you can have a recurring character left by the wayside OR a one-shot that's been marketed heavily, but NOT a one-shot that's been abandoned.
Sheik.

I know, I know, you're gonna say that it's a special case. Indeed. But it's still proves that you CAN have "a one-shot that's been abandoned" under special circonstances. Sheer popularity could be one of these cironstances.

Besides, you made up that rule. It's as valid as "you can have third-party protagonists but NOT vilains" and then, boum, One-winged angel is being played on the background.

That being said, I don't want Ghirahim nor Midna. One of the reasons why I want Skull Kid is because he's a living bridge between Ocarina and Majora, and he also being in Twilight Princess contributes to make him important enough to become recurrent. I'm also in favor of Tingle.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sheik.

I know, I know, you're gonna say that it's a special case. Indeed. But it's still proves that you CAN have "a one-shot that's been abandoned" under special circonstances. Sheer popularity could be one of these cironstances.

Besides, you made up that rule. It's as valid as "you can have third-party protagonists but NOT vilains" and then, boum, One-winged angel is being played on the background.

That being said, I don't want Ghirahim nor Midna. One of the reasons why I want Skull Kid is because he's a living bridge between Ocarina and Majora, and he also being in Twilight Princess contributes to make him important enough to become recurrent. I'm also in favor of Tingle.
He tends to show up in darker titles, so I think his chances to be in BotW2 are high, which by default helps his Smash chances.

Then again, this could be a LoZ game that heavily references all timelines, so maybe more than one character from older games will make an appearance.

toonito

Smash Ace

IMO he's a cool villain and people can support whoever they want no matter how relevant or influential they are. if that werent the case there's a lot of character fanbases that shouldnt get support either.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
He tends to show up in darker titles, so I think his chances to be in BotW2 are high, which by default helps his Smash chances.

Then again, this could be a LoZ game that heavily references all timelines, so maybe more than one character from older games will make an appearance.
I would be very surprised to see him, but I guess it's a possibility.

I would also add to my previous message that supporting/wanting a character doesn't imply anything regarding its likeliness. At this point, I don't believe Skull Kid will ever become a Smasher (we will see which direction the next Smash will take though). I still support him anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, other games will fill in the Smash Bros spotlight. Like Multiversus and Nickelodeon All Star Brawl. I just wonder if Sakurai does find inspiration from official and fan games?
Screenshot_20220421-005202_YouTube.jpg

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would be very surprised to see him, but I guess it's a possibility.

I would also add to my previous message that supporting/wanting a character doesn't imply anything regarding its likeliness. At this point, I don't believe Skull Kid will ever become a Smasher (we will see which direction the next Smash will take though). I still support him anyway.
Yeah, there are a ton of characters I strongly support for Smash but I’ll be the first to admit that my favorites aren’t the most likely options. That doesn’t mean we should just give up. Anything is possible, after all. Just try to go in with realistic expectations and try not to be too disappointed if none of them end up making it in. That’s one reason I feel like it’s a good idea to broaden your horizons so you can be excited for a lot more potential characters.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Talking about characters that aren't too likely even if we want them, there are any character from a rather obscure company would you like to see?, personally I would love a Vanillaware rep, either Momohime/Kisuke or Gwendolyn from Muramasa the Demon Blade and Odin Sphere respectively.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

If we focus exclusively on Zelda's main cast, then it's seemingly just variations of Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, and people have wanted Zelda to have more than that in Smash for at least a decade now, maybe closer to two decades. Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity show that there's a gigantic amount of untapped potential for playable Zelda characters beyond the Triforce trio, and both Midna and Ghirahim are presumably fairly popular characters that people want to see more often.

(unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying when you mentioned a consistent main cast. Focusing on the Triforce trio because they're consistently the main cast seems to be like the argument that people made where Metroid should only have Samus as a playable character because the Metroid games are about isolation - it seems unnecessarily limiting)

Last edited:
Top Bottom