• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Ivander

Smash Legend

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I looked at this art and I was like, "This looks very familiar." and then immediately remembered this concept of Porky in Smash Bros.

Turns out both were done by the same artist.
there’s a pattern emerging in their moveset concepts

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Keep in mind that Metroid isn't a massive series saleswise, especially in Japan. It has always run more on being a critical darling with a dedicated fanbase than lighting up the sales charts. Dread did well but it was also outsold by Switch entries in franchises that have historically been less popular than Metroid, like Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pikmin 4. If enough time and money had been pumped into Prime 4 without something of quality to show, I could see Nintendo throwing up their hands and saying "**** it, this isn't worthwhile to pursue this anymore", as crappy as that may be.
I mean, you can take this point and turn it on its head by comparing it to other similarly selling franchises. For instance, XC2 is a game that is considered highly successful for the franchise, solidified it as a mainstay for Nintendo, and got it a sequel. Yet, it only sold about 2.7M as last recorded, less than Dread. Does that suddenly make XC an unsuccessful franchise and XC2 an unsuccessful game?

I understand being concerned about Prime 4 considering it's stuck in development, but that's not reason to try and paint Dread's sales as negative. At the end of the day, the key thing is that Metroid Dread just needs to be successful by Nintendo's expectations of it, not XC, FE, or Pikmin. As long as it sold well enough for the company to be happy with it, that's all that matters, and considering Nintendo (or MercurySteam) have given no indication they consider it a failure or underperformance we can't assune the worst.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So honest question.

How did Electroplankton of all things get a stage?

Was it actually big back on the day and I somehow missed it? Every other stage sense to me, but that stage still confuses me to this day.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I never knew about Vicarious Visions before you mentioned it and I don't know how it relates to Donkey Kong Country. As for King K. Rool I hope they put him as the villain of the next Donkey Kong Country game and always keep putting him in later games since he is Donkey Kong's main enemy. But I also thought just now that these enemies I imagine to be a mercenary biker gang that would come from another country and have been hired by King K. Rool. In fact I'm sure King K. Rool will be back.
I forgot to add that I'm sure like everyone else that King K. Rool will be back. As for Metroid Prime 4 I was thinking that since in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption the planet Phaaze was destroyed along with Dark Samus causing Phazon to disappear from the galaxy in general then it would probably be impossible for Dark Samus to survive unless of course they decide to add that there is a second Phaaze planet where Phazon would logically exist. Of course that's one of the thoughts I have for Metroid Prime 4, my other thoughts are that they somehow have some Phazon left and exist without the Phaaze planet. While my other and final thought, is that there is another sentient planet and it has a similar substance to Phazon, or that some Phazon fell on this sentient planet and turned it into another substance.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So honest question.

Was it actually big back on the day and I somehow missed it? Every other stage sense to me, but that stage still confuses me to this day.
I've seen gameplay of Electroplankton and I can see people having fun with it, especially music enthusiasts. What's more, while the Stage in Smash Bros might really clash with the characters and whatnot, the game itself has some legitimately beautiful imagery. By what I've seen, even if it's more along the lines of a quirky tech demo, it's far from a bad game.

I've seen some people say that Electroplankton was one of the DS' early out of the box titles by Nintendo and it did release during the Nintendo DS' first year in Japan, same with Brain Age. It also was re-released for DSiWare in Japan, so maybe it was a bigger deal in Japan? The game was also made by Toshio Iwai, who is apparently a pretty big deal regarding generative and interactive imagery and sound.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It sucks to type, but I'm not even fully convinced that Prime 4 is still happening.

It's been 5 years since Prime 4's development was restarted and we've gotten radio silence in the interim. Games take a long time to develop and part of this timeframe can be chalked up to COVID, but that's still a very long time for AA game to be developed. Jeff Grubb says Nintendo wants assets by this month, but his source for this was the guy who told him about Epic Mickey Remastered, a project that would theoretically be completely disconnected from both Nintendo and Retro Studios beyond being announced in a Nintendo Direct. There's a greater than zero chance it's a "I have one true piece of information, but I'm going to throw in something juicy that I've made up" source, which aren't common but aren't unheard of.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Metroid Prime fans had to go through a full decade of waiting for a Prime 4 announcement and now they've had to spend nearly as long waiting for damn footage. At least rip off the band-aid if the project got cancelled, Nintendo.
Hey, if Pikmin 4 can pull through after being "almost done" for like 4 years so can Metroid Prime 4.

So things have been pretty rough for my family.

I had gotten tired of Smash lately but I just booted up Ultimate and just played some casual matches against the CPU.

I played with stage morph and played with characters I don't normally play. I played characters like Min Min, Meta Knight, Sonic, Wii Fit Trainer and Fox. It was actually really fun.

Playing at a much slower pace allowed me to appreciate all the little details in the stages, the animations and even some gameplay touches like drag downs. I even learned that Meta Knight's back air is one of the most satisfying moves in the game to land (and it's spammable too).

If you're burnt out on the competitive scene, try some casual Smash. It really started to reinvigorate my love of the game.
Hard agree. I wasn't burnt out on Smash, and I play so many characters I really don't have a main, but playing casual matches did let me actually see the stages the game had to offer instead of just 7 of them. It was really fun.

Also, the Final Smash meter seems to not make everyone get their Final Smash at the same time on four player free for alls. I guess it's because people die a lot more often. That's probably why it works like it does. lol

So honest question.

I dunno, but I really liked it in Brawl. Something about the way it's coded in Ultimate makes it not nearly as good though.

And you can forget playing actual music on that stage, which is a shame because the Electroplankton remix is pretty darn good.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just did a moveset for Reimu Hakurei. This one was a little harder for me to do than my previous ones, considering the fact that I know NOTHING about Touhou aside from the fact that it's a Japanese bullet hell series. And its music. Anyway, here it is:

Reimu Hakurei Moveset
Honestly? Fairly simplistic, but it's a perfectly serviceable Reimu moveset, especially for an outsider to the series. Personally I'd find a way to work in the Yin-Yang Orbs and her flight powers as well, but I could easily see her getting a moveset like this if she was added back in Brawl

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mother Brain's Jar with spider legs just feels... weird. Like, the monster design is a good boss option. But if she were to be playable, something closer to using her technological options might work well. Like hijacking a weapon from the Federation, etc. Though it does help that I enjoyed her tank form in Captain N(which actually was reasonably agile and could fit). Moreso, at least it should be something she's done in some particular work she's in to justify how she'd fight. It should make sense. Though I haven't seen every single Metroid game, so I don't know if she had a spider leg design or something.

But either way, she's an awkward design that makes it harder to work as a playable character. Less so for Porky even with his spider mech, since that's designed to be agile in fights. It's a tad different.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Here’s an interesting roster challenge we can all try:
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 10 veterans from Smash 4
  • 10 veterans from Ultimate
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
O12

Ice Climbers
Young Link
Falco
Pichu
Zelda
Ganondorf
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Peach
Bowser

Diddy Kong
Lucas
King Dedede
Wario
Olimar
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
Sonic
Pit
Ike

Megaman
Pac-man
Ryu
Cloud
Little Mac
Villager
Bowser Jr.
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina

Banjo & Kazooie
Ridley
King K. Rool
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Hero
Steve
Simon
Sephiroth
Terry

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
1. Mario
2. Donkey Kong
3. Link
4. Samus
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Fox
8. Pikachu
9. Luigi
10. Ness
11. Falcon
12. Jiggleypuff
1. Peach
2. Bowser
3. Zelda
4. Ganondorf
5. Falco
6. Mewtwo
7. Marth
At this point, I already had everyone I actually wanted to keep. I'm just adding back in characters I cut to make the quota. In hindsight, Melee's newcomers were terrible.
8. Ice Climbers
9. Game & Watch
10. Roy
1. Wario
2. Diddy Kong
3. Dedede
4. Meta Knight
5. Charizard
6. Pit
7. Olimar
8. Snake
9. Sonic
10. Wolf
1. Villager
2. Mega Man
3. Little Mac
4. Pac-Man
5. Shulk
6. Geninja
7. Palutena
8. Ryu
9. Cloud
10. Bayonetta
1. Inkling
2. Simon
3. Joker
4. Hero
5. Banjo
6. Terry
7. Kazuya
8. Sora
9. K. Rool
10. Sephiroth
1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
6. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
7. Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
8. Kazuma Kiryu [Like a Dragon]
9. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
10. Zero [Mega Man X]
11. Alucard [Castlevania]
12. Raiden [Metal Gear]
1. Dark Samus [Samus]
2. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
3. Chrom [Marth]
4. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
5. Shadow [Sonic]
6. Akuma [Ryu]

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
The 12 can stay

• Peach
  • Bowser
  • Marth
  • Roy
  • Ice Climbers
  • Falco
  • Ganondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Zelda
  • Mr. Game & Watch
  • Meta Knight
  • Pit
  • Lucas
  • Wario
  • Pokémon Trainer
  • Wolf
  • Olimar
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Snake
  • Little Mac
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Greninja
  • Shulk
  • Rosalina
  • Bayonetta
  • Cloud
  • Ryu
  • Pac-Man
  • Mega Man
  • Inkling
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Simon
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Sora
  • Incineroar
  • Min-Min
  • Steve
  • Sephiroth
  • Bandana Dee
  • Gen 9 Pokémon
  • Waluigi
  • Alear
  • Noah & Mio
  • Poochy (2nd Yoshi rep)
  • Shake King (2nd Wario rep)
  • Excitebiker (Retro rep)
  • Rayman
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Dr. Eggman (2nd Sonic rep)
  • Master Chief
  • Daisy [Peach]
  • Dark Samus [Samus]
  • Lucina [Marth]
  • Medusa [Plautena]
  • King D-Mind [Dedede]
  • Octoling [Inkling]

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultdoc:
:ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultike::ultcharizard:
:ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario:
:ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja:
:ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultisabelle::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultpyra::ultkazuya:
  1. Paper Mario
  2. Waluigi
  3. Noah
  4. Impa
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Meowscarda
  7. Alear
  8. Isaac
  9. Dr. Eggman
  10. Chun-Li
  11. 2B
  12. Rayman
  1. Funky Kong (for Donkey Kong)
  2. Dark Samus (for Samus)
  3. Daisy (for Peach)
  4. Lucina (for Marth)
  5. Alvis (for Shulk)
  6. Octoling (for Inkling)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff
Peach
Bowser
Zelda
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Ice Climbers
Marth
Roy
Mr. Game and Watch
Falco
Wario
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Lucario
Ike
Olimar
Lucas
Pit
R,O.B.
Snake
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina & Luma
Little Mac
Greninja
Palutena
Shulk
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Ryu
Cloud
Inkling
Ridley
King K. Rool
Simon
Isabelle
Terry
Min Min
Steve
Sephiroth
Sora
Chrom
Lucina
Daisy
Richter
Ken
Dark Pit
Waluigi
Edelgard
Gholdengo
Doc Louis
Spring Man
Kyle Hyde
Takamaru
Mach Rider
Starfy
Mii (not a Mii Fighter, but a Mii actually representative of their games)
Sans
Frogger

If I could cut Jigglypuff and some of the Melee characters for more space I absolutely would, 100%, to bring back a few more Brawl ones and add in a few newcomers.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Really, I'd say that beat em' up's big disadvantages Smash wise are that they're only just now getting back in regular releases and that some of the most famous and acclaimed variations are licensed properties. TMNT is the big one, but stuff like Scott Pilgrim, the Simpsons, X-Men, Batman, etc have all put out solid games for the genre and none of them are getting into Smash given their origins. There's obviously plenty of original properties, but the ratio is a bit more disproportionate than other game types are in terms of fame.
Late but given Sakurai is a fighting game nut, and if Capcom let him for some reason, I could see Sakurai adding Haggar to Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario:
:ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultryu::ultcloud:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultkazuya::ultsora:
  1. Ring & Ring Fit Trainee
  2. Monster Hunter
  3. Noah
  4. Mio
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee
  6. Waluigi
  7. Ravenbeak
  8. Skeledirge
  9. Kieran
  10. Captain Toad
  11. The Skull Kid
  12. Nintendo LABO Character
:ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultken:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
EVERYONE IS HERE!
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultgnw:
:ultdiddy::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultpit::ultwario::ultolimar::ultrob::ultsonic:

Pokémon Trainer might be cheating...?
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultrobin::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

This is assuming Miis also return due to their status as customizable characters. And also because I figured assuming they would be back either way would lead to a more interesting list of 10 characters than the more realistic option of "only 7 return because Mii Fighters alone take 30% of the slots"
:ultkrool::ultridley::ultincineroar::ultbylethf::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultinkling::ultminmin:ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

There are 11 characters, yeah, but that's because of Pyra and Mythra being one slot. Might be cheating...?
  1. Geno. With the sheer amount of Square Enix content removed, it felt fair to make one of the newcomers be from that company. Recent remake also gives him decent relevance not unlike Little Mac at the time he was added in Smash 4.
  2. Rauru. The Switch trilogy of Zelda games did too well to be ignored and it would be a good way to incorporate most of TotK's mechanics without needing to completely rework Link's moveset.
  3. Raven Beak. I just think he's cool.
  4. Bandana Waddle Dee. He's neat in SSF2. I wonder how he'd be in an official Smash.
  5. Obligatory Pokémon starter slot. Depending on when a new Smash game is made, it'll be either Gen 10 or Gen 11, which we know nothing of yet so I'm not going to name any specific one here. However, if assuming Gen 9, Meowscarada because the street magician theme is just so good.
  6. Obligatory Fire Emblem protagonist slot. I could just write Alear, but the possibility of there not being a single mainline FE before the next Smash feels unrealistic. With that said, I really hope Alear somehow manages to take that spot because the Emblem mechanics could add so much.
  7. Octoling. They could be using unique weapons though still having some from classes Inkling uses, such as the .96 Gal to replace the Splattershot. To avoid having the ink gimmick causing the Octoling alts to overlap with Inkling's, their ink could instead focus on the effects you get when walking on enemy ink, making the inked foe slower and maybe get some damage over time. This would let all Octoling alts have the magenta color often associated with them since it'd be a debuff on the foe rather than a buff on specifically the one who inked them.
  8. Ring Fit Trainee. Nintendo likes to add newer franchises in Smash games and Ring Fit did really well for itself so why not add the Trainee?
  9. Ayumi Tachibana. The token "unexpected surprise" slot. Some of us may already have thought of her so it's not really a surprise but most of the Smash audience would not really think of a VN character, even less one who isn't named Phoenix Wright so it could catch people off-guard.
  10. Dr. Eggman. We are LONG overdue for a second Sonic character and personality alone would make Eggman hype.
  11. Ryu Hayabusa. The token NEStalgia third-party slot. Nothing else to say here.
  12. Nightmare. This is 1000% biased because Soulcalibur in Smash is my most wanted crossover so of course he'd be here.
Honorable mentions go to Phoenix Wright, Captain Toad, Scorpion, Doom Slayer and many others that could make for solid DLC picks but I'm going to assume this challenge is solely for a base game.
:ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdarksamus::ultken::ultrichter:[insert Shadow the Hedgehog here]

Shadow would be a very Ken-like Echo Fighter, with some moves having animations that aren't copy-pasted and a unique special or two much like how Chrom had an up special what wasn't Roy's. You never said every Echo had to be among the seven we got. :p

Plus, this is more interesting than bringing glorified alt Daisy back. :p

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
For mine, please note that I treat Pokemon Trainer’s pokemon, the Mii Fighters, and Aegis as multiple fighters.

SSB64
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultsamus::ultfalcon::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:
Melee
:ultbowser::ultpeach::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultmarth::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers:
I feel like Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Zelda, Marth, and Mr. Game & Watch are the Melee fighters that most people expect and/or want to return. I feel like the clones barring Falco are pretty expendable compared to other fighters, giving me my 10 fighter line up.
Brawl
:ultwario::ultdiddy::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpokemontrainer::ultolimar::ultsonic:
This pretty much gives the most prominent characters in Brawl, and I kept Pokemon Trainer as is as the gimmick is cool.
For
:ultrobin::ultvillager::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultpacman::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultcloud:
Villager, Miis, and Shulk are here to provide the most prominent Nintendo franchises added in For. I prefer Robin over Greninja in this scenario. Cloud was an indulgent pick, and the other third parties are important to keep in my opinion.
Ultimate
:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbyleth::ultisabelle::ultmythra::ultinkling::ultbanjokazooie::ultsora::ultsteve:
Inkling and Isabelle are the most prominent Nintendo characters added in Ultimate. K. Rool, Little Birdie Ridley, and Banjo-Kazooie were added due to fan demand. Byleth and Sora are indulgent picks. Aegis is a cool character, and Xenoblade 2 was popular, and Steve comes from a prominent video game.
Newcomers
(Waluigi) (Midna) (Bandana Waddle Dee) (Tinkaton) (Tom Nook) (DJ Octavio) (Isaac) (Ring Fit Trainee) (Amy Rose) (Rayman) (Tidus) (Sans)
Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee are chosen for their popularity. Midna is my preferred Legend of Zelda character. Tom and Octavio help flesh out Animal Crossing and Splatoon. Tinkaton is the obligatory placeholder pokemon, and she was chosen to not worry about starter quotas. Ring Fit Trainee gives us a new franchise. Isaac, Amy, and Tidus are fully indulgent picks. I mostly kept Rayman here as he’s been in SSB discussion for awhile, and Sans introduces indie gaming to the roster.
Echoes
:ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultdarkpit::ultlucina:(Octoling):ultken:
I just cut the echoes where their parent fighter was removed and then tacked on Octoling.

Imagine if they added Tidus to Smash...
I liked FFX, and Tidus is one of my most wanted fighters.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
OG 12
Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Zelda
Falco
Marth
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Mr. Game and Watch
Meta Knight
Pit
Wario
Ike
Pokemon Trainer
Diddy Kong
Sonic
King Dedede
Olimar
Lucario
Villager
Rosalina and Luma
Little Mac
Greninja
Mii Fighters
Palutena
Robin
Shulk
Duck Hunt
Ryu
Inkling
Ridley
Dark Samus (no longer an echo)
King K Rool
Isabelle
Banjo Kazooie
Terry
Byleth
Min Min
Pyra/Mythra
Raven Beak
Noah
Shiver
A Pokemon from gen 8 or 9
Glee Club
Crash
Bandana Dee
Ryu Hayabusa
Ayumi Tachibana
Akira Howard
Reimu
Geno
Daisy
Lucina
Ken
Octoling (echo of Inkling)
Mio (echo of Noah)
Impa (Echo of Sheik)

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
OG 12 stays

• Peach
  • Bowser
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Marth
  • Roy
  • Mr. Game and Watch
  • Falco
  • Ice Climbers

• Meta Knight
  • King Dedede
  • Pit
  • Wario
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Olimar
  • Lucario
  • Ike
  • Wolf

• Mega Man
  • Rosalina and Luma
  • Little Mac
  • Pac-Man
  • Greninja
  • Palutena
  • Shulk
  • Ryu
  • Cloud
  • Bayonetta

• Inkling
    Ridley
    Simon
    K. Rool
    Isabelle
    Hero
    Terry
    Sephiroth
    Kazuya
    Sora

• Rayman
  • Bandana Dee
  • Doom Slayer
  • Shantae
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Dixie Kong
  • Officer Howard
  • Bomberman
  • Takamaru
  • Tinkaton
  • Mio
  • Sol Badguy

• Lucina (Marth)
  • Daisy (Peach)
  • Dark Samus (Samus)
  • Octoling (Inkling)
  • Akuma (Ryu)
  • Shadow (Sonic)

This was... a bit harder than I thought it'd be lol. I probably could have swapped some of these out if I really wanted to.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
So honest question.

I'm mostly speculating here, but from what I can tell, it's a combination of the game (series?) generally being well-recieved and appreciated in Japan (as mentioned by Ivander Ivander ), but also probably that on a graphical level, it's nowhere near as complicated or difficult to include as other stages. Given it's mostly made up of flat colours and simple shapes, it wouldn't need a modelling team to manufacture a massive arena of some kind. (Which I think is a similar sort of reason for why stages like Mushroom Kingdom II were included back in Melee.) That's not to say it'd be "easy" by any means, obviously a lot of work went into it, but that it'd be much simpler to get into a visually functional state to then start adding additional elements to.

• The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
Sure, why not!

Super Smash Bros.
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:
I think this is honestly a decent lineup to start with - still includes plenty of Nintendo's more iconic characters, a couple of "weirdos" (in the modern sense) and overall a decent spread of characters from different eras.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda:
:ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:
A fairly conventional lineup given what everyone else seems to be suggesting. A lot of these are fairly obvious secondary character candidates, but then the addition of a couple of oddballs is neat too.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultike::ultdiddy:
:ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob:
Slightly less conventional, I suppose. The remaining characters are a nice mix of some oddballs, secondary character candidates, and a bit of new blood. That said, some picks were difficult to cut - Pokémon Trainer seemed pointless if taking up three spaces, and solo Charizard felt kind of superceded by three other first-gen Pokémon reps. (Admittedly, if I could, I'd probably replace Jiggs with Zard, but that's just the way it is.)

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
:ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbrawler:
:ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu:
A lot more difficult than others, so I really took a blade to the roster this time around. Some notable choices - Mii Brawler is the last remaining Mii, Mega Man's cut mostly so Ryu can be "the Capcom rep", and Cloud's cut for reasons that will become apparent. Also, some series - namely Mario and Kid Icarus - are gutted here, mostly because I don't think their characters in this game are all that... necessary. Sorry, Jr.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultincineroar:
:ulthero::ultbyleth::ultsteve::ultpyra::ultsora:
A lot of difficult cuts here, because there's a lot of characters I'd like to have kept, but felt either not really relevant enough (K. Rool), superceded by other third-parties (Joker) or having their "gimmick" already handled (Terry). The choice to have Dragon Quest supercede Final Fantasy was also pretty difficult, but ultimately I think it'll work better. Also, Pyra loses Mythra. Up until now, I've been considering having only one character for each "third-party" company, but Sora's popularity in the ballot just about tipped him over the edge.

Echo Fighters
:ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultken::ultrichter:
I'm working on the logic of characters officially considered Echo Fighters, so no clones (Dr. Mario, etc) here. Sorry, Dark Pit.

Newcomers
  1. Sidon (A popular side character from the Wild subseries of Zelda, generally well-liked by people, appears in all three relevant games, and has moveset potential that'd make him unique to other characters. I know the Champions or Impa are generally preferred, but Impa specifically may have rights issues related to Koei-Tecmo, and the Champions don't appear in Tears of the Kingdom.)
  2. E.M.M.I (A heavily marketed element of one of Metroid's most popular products outright, as well as having plenty of unique moveset potential. Raven Beak is arguably more popular in Smash circles, but E.M.M.I was the Dread character to get an Amiibo and their own prominent sections in marketing.)
  3. Magolor (A reoccuring and well-liked character from the Kirby series who fills a role as a playable boss of sorts, has numerous notable roles, and some decently recent prominent appearances in games like Return to Dream Land Deluxe.)
  4. Ogerpon (A seemingly well-liked Pokémon of a new typing, representing the most recent generation, and actually being a box-art Pokémon for a DLC pack. Additionally, having plenty of moveset potential with its various masks, if you wanted to go in that direction. I think this makes sense.)
  5. Anna (A reoccuring character in the Fire Emblem series who acts as a fan favourite and a representative of the "trader / merchant" archetype in RPGs, I think Anna would be a well-liked character with plenty of moveset potential. It also helps that she's often an archer-class.)
  6. Bulborb (I think Pikmin deserves a secondary rep, and it wouldn't feel out of place for one of the series' most iconic enemies - the Bulborb - to get a playable role. We'd essentially make them a really large character with a few other Pikmin enemies in its moveset here and there.)
  7. Tom Nook (Obviously we all know that one of Nintendo's modern pillars is Animal Crossing, and I think there's totally potential for Tom Nook to have an interesting playstyle - whether it be a puppet fighter with Timmy and Tommy, or using a similar mechanic to Mr. Krabs in NASB2.)
  8. Mio (Xenoblade Chronicles is a decently prominent series and Mio brings plenty of moveset potential, perhaps with Noah occasionally providing support with Ouroboros attacks and the like. Mio's chosen specifically because of her unique weapon typing compared to the rest of the cast.)
  9. Octoling (Based on Agent 8's design. Splatoon is iconic, Octoling has plenty of potential, we've all heard this before. I'm going to say they're not an Echo Fighter, rather that they have thematic similarities to Inkling's moveset, akin to K. Rool's thematic similarities to Donkey Kong.)
  10. MC Horace (I think a "tech demo" rep of some kind makes some sense, and while LABO is generally where people prefer to look, I think MC Horace would be a good candidate for this role. He'd literally fight with Joy-Cons in his hands, mimicking a variety of 1-2-Switch! games. I'll admit I wanted to go with the Clubhouse President here, but this feels more achievable.)
  11. Rabbid Mario (While Rayman's probably a more popular Ubisoft candidate, I think more directly using the Mario + Rabbids series is a more likely outcome, and Rabbid Mario - as a prominent character from the series with his own unique moveset potential - makes sense in this role.)
  12. Bub (A representative for Taito overall feels like a really obvious decision to make, and Bub - as the protagonist of both Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble - feels like a natural choice in this regard. I'll note that while Taito are Square-Enix owned, they seem to have their own degree of autonomy.)
Honourable mentions to most mentioned candidates, as well as a character from Engage, numerous other Gen IX reps, numerous Kirby reps, the Wars series (which, in light of continuing global conflicts, will not be added in a playable role), and a Puyo Puyo character (most likely Arle, but I also considered others.)

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I like that all of us just nearly unanimously agree on the Melee part of this
I feel like this has to deal with Melee’s rushed development cycle and high quantity of clones, so we have a few low hanging fruit to cut with Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu. If there was more development time to add fighters like Wario, Dedede, Pit, and Meowth over these fighters, I feel like we’d see more variability.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It's best to not immediately make radical assumptions about how popular or unpopular a game is in Japan, mind. I tried looking for Electroplankton in Japanese, and I did see plenty of sites talking about it, but I really wasn't able to ascertain how big of a deal it is over there. The Toshio Iwai connection sounds to me like a better guess as to why it might've made it

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
O12

Ice Climbers
Young Link
Falco
Pichu
Zelda
Ganondorf
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Peach
Bowser

Diddy Kong
Lucas
King Dedede
Wario
Olimar
Snake
Pokémon Trainer
Sonic
Pit
Ike

Megaman
Pac-man
Ryu
Cloud
Little Mac
Villager
Bowser Jr.
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina

Banjo & Kazooie
Ridley
King K. Rool
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
Hero
Steve
Simon
Sephiroth
Terry
...Ah. I forgot the twelve newcomers.

Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Doom Slayer
Bomberman
Toad
Chosen Undead
Marco (Metal Slug)
John Marston
Decloned Dark Samus
Crono
Isaac and Geno to make everyone happy

Echoes.
Funky Kong
Proto Man
Can't think of any others!

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
  • The original 12
  • 10 veterans from Melee
  • 10 veterans from Brawl
  • 12 newcomers
  • 6 Echo Fighters
I might be a bit late on this, but I'll try it anyway. This is gonna be difficult.

ALL OF THEM

Peach
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Sheik
Zelda
Falco
Marth
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Roy
Mr. Game & Watch