• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Same.
Andross could be better Star Fox rep than Krystal, since he's not most annoyingly requested character, but less.
Since Sakurai or New Director could implement him due to being more important character in Star Fox lore.
Only real Gigachads want Andross as Playable.
I would never pick on Krystal fans, but me? Never cared for Krystal since day one. I was glad Wolf got in over her in Brawl, even though I was not expecting Wolf to get in.

I would never pick on Krystal fans, but me? Never cared for Krystal since day one. I was glad Wolf got in over her in Brawl, even though I was not expecting Wolf to get in.
Yeah, Wolf is better.
Actually, I don't think that Wolf is Villain Rep in Smash, despite Andross is the real one.
Same goes with Ridley, since he is not a huge bad guy, but rather Mother Brain.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, Wolf is better.
Actually, I don't think that Wolf is Villain Rep in Smash, despite Andross is the real one.
Same goes with Ridley, since he is not a huge bad guy, but rather Mother Brain.
Don't know if I can say the same about Ridley, even though I understand the Mother Brain part, but I never thought Wolf much to be the villain rep too. I thought he was more of a rival rep.

But they just need to shrink Andross' head to make him playable and maybe use the 64 version of him, and give him his hands too. If they can make Ridley work, and make a small guy like Olimar as well as his Pikmin bigger (though I admit, there are differences between those and Andross, but still), I think they can make Andross a full fighter.

Don't know if I can say the same about Ridley, even though I understand the Mother Brain part, but I never thought Wolf much to be the villain rep too. I thought he was more of a rival rep.

But they just need to shrink Andross' head to make him playable and maybe use the 64 version of him, and give him his hands too. If they can make Ridley work, and make a small guy like Olimar as well as his Pikmin bigger (though I admit, there are differences between those and Andross, but still), I think they can make Andross a full fighter.
I mean, I want him to look like Star Fox Zero Full Body form guy.
Andross could be really cool fighter, so better people could vote for him rather on Krystal.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, I want him to look like Star Fox Zero Full Body form guy.
Andross could be really cool fighter, so better people could vote for him rather on Krystal.
Yeah, just because Krystal may look more like a fighter than Andross does, does not mean Andross should be ignored in favor of her.

I mean, I am sure someone like Sakurai could make Andross work easily. It can't be that hard. But yeah, to me, he is more of an Nintendo All-Star than Krystal, who is a younger character than him, and is quite overrated in my eyes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wonder if this means that fan demand will be a nonfactor for a characters inclusion
Unless there are other ways to measure fan demand
I'm sure they have other ways of telling who's popular - it was mentioned that at least some of the Mii costumes in Kazuya's wave (Lloyd, Shantae, Dante, Dragonborn) were popular picks, and at least two of those (Dante and the Dragonborn) weren't popular picks for Smash during the time of the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:
Yeah, just because Krystal may look more like a fighter than Andross does, does not mean Andross should be ignored in favor of her.

I mean, I am sure someone like Sakurai could make Andross work easily. It can't be that hard. But yeah, to me, he is more of an Nintendo All-Star than Krystal, who is a younger character than him, and is quite overrated in my eyes.
You're totally right.
Andross should be more like playable because of being Nintendo Allstar rather than Krystal.
"Reject Krystal"
"Embrace Andross"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who do you think is the most realistic newcomer to make base roster in the next game? I'm thinking a retro rep like Mach Rider or Frogger is likely. Also does anyone know who the sword fighter was considered but replaced with Kazuya. I heard Takamaru was considered but I think that was much earlier.
There's a few I'm confident in.

First, I'll say Cranky Kong. He's a seriously overlooked character, and he's gonna be in the Mario movie, which will solidify his role as the OG DK. The DLC characters proved that not the most expected character, but the more unique one will make the cut. This was the case with Aegis over Rex, Kazuya over Heiachi, Min Min over Springman, I could see them opt for Cranky because there's a chance Dixie could be a semi clone of Diddy. I still want Dixie ! I wouldn't mind similarities to Diddy at all, he's my main, but Cranky has things going for him. The Mario movie, being in the most popular and well known DK games where Dixie is absent ; DKC, DK64 and DKC Returns. Last they where also playable in the latest DKC game, but Cranky has been around longer and is the OG Arcade DK, a fraction of the history of Nintendo that hasn't been references much at all.

Second is Impa. I'm mostly hopeful for this, but she has strong chances. Zelda is overdue for a newcomer, Impa had been around since the beginning, and is now showing up in more playable roles, much like Cranky above. Her Age of Calamity design is very very popular too, and she has a move set that would work great with Smash. In case of a reboot, she could be there in place of Sheik (not the same move set of course).

Next I go for Ring Fit Trainer. Or that demon guy. One of them will probably happen. For reasons everyone here knows.

Octolings are another well known expected newcomer. I think they'll be sort of like Isabelle , not a Echo but somewhat clonish.

Monster Hunter is a next character I expect to happen. Huge franchise, Nintendo put a lot of money into exclusive rights for Rise too. I can't picture Monster Hunter not making it honestly. I highly expected them in the DLC for Ultimate even.

Pauline is a character I feel has above average chances. Some said Ultimate was her only chance, but we didn't get Rosalina or Bowser Jr. in Brawl either, where they'd similarly would've made the most sense. Like Cranky, she's a legacy character. Having Pauline for Mario, and Cranky for DK, gives both series a good nod to their shared past.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm sure they have other ways of telling who's popular - it was mentioned that at least some of the amiibo costumes in Kazuya's wave (Lloyd, Shantae, Dante, Dragonborn) were popular picks, and at least two of those (Dante and the Dragonborn) weren't popular picks for Smash during the time of the Smash Ballot.
Also, the first step for Doomguy being a popular Smash pick wasn't Doom 64 or censored GBA ports. It was Doom 2016 getting an official Switch port.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
what do you guys think of Slippy? he got his own game called Starfox guard he would be unique with the stuff he has
Slippy would make for a quirky Falco Echo I always imagined. The high jumps would suit his froggy self especially well. Only thing is, Slippy is much shorter than Falco. He could also be a bit like Isabelle in a way.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I kinda feel thats likely to be the case however I would say more echoes and the smash ballot high suggestion should be one of the focus as probably not all top 10 worldwide made it in yet
Crash has to be number 2 and I feel like a lot of the top ten are assist trophies or mii costume
Slippy would make for a quirky Falco Echo I always imagined. The high jumps would suit his froggy self especially well. Only thing is, Slippy is much shorter than Falco. He could also be a bit like Isabelle in a way.
I'd imagine they'd make Slippy annoying on purpose. Like giving him falco's laser with foxes speed

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, the other day we were talking about underrated Square reps, but I think I might know another one:

Apparently, the SaGa series will be getting a remake, a remaster, AND a new game in the near future. Feels like they've been trying to push it a lot lately. Maybe a Smash addition could help with that..?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I think a new ballot would be a great thing but they'd have to specify if it's just for newcomers cause like last time when snake got crazy results. What I mean is I'd prefer it if they do a new ballot that voters aren't forced to pick between a character not in yet like Kratos vs ones already in like everyone in Ultimate.

Or have two ballots one for newcomers and one for veterans. Maybe allow up to 20 votes for veterans and like 3 or 5 for newcomers...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Say, the other day we were talking about underrated Square reps, but I think I might know another one:

Apparently, the SaGa series will be getting a remake, a remaster, AND a new game in the near future. Feels like they've been trying to push it a lot lately. Maybe a Smash addition could help with that..?
Holy crap man, I'm glad to see this getting so much love and attention. I haven't touched a single game in the series, but I heard bringing back the old games really made a lot of people happy. Looks like that even have a half-decent mobile game too. Seems like Square really is all aboard the 'Pleasing Their Fans' Arc...

It's merely a matter of time now...

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I have a feeling Waluigi is a shoo-in at this point yet I feel like my pessimistic side is saying he isn't a shoo-in.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I have a feeling Waluigi is a shoo-in at this point yet I feel like my pessimistic side is saying he isn't a shoo-in.
I kinda still just don't think Nintendo and Sakurai view Waluigi as a particularly important character despite all the fan demand. Whereas K. Rool and Ridley are (were in K. Rool's case) major villains, and Banjo and Sora are the main protagonist of their games, Waluigi is still just a roster spinoff filler character at the end of the day. One that's popular and well known of course, but that's really it.

The same goes for Daisy...who only exists in Smash as a mere glorified set of alternate costumes for Peach, where Waluigi has to actually be a full fledged unique fighter...unless they made him an echo of Luigi or something and thus making him look like THIS:

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Same feeling honestly like I remember Waluigi has been the most requested Mario character before :ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultdaisy: all got confirmed yet here we are.
They could easily choose someone like Pauline or King Boo or Toad even Foreman Spike before him in the next smash game.
Like is it part Waluigi lore to stay a loser? Which might explain the situation or Nintendo not taking the request as serious? maybe due to some toxic Waluigi fans who sent death threats to Sakurai?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of Waluigi, I am not sure if he is a shoe-in. I mean, characters that were also assist trophies, most notably Isaac from Golden Sun, were highly demanded, possibly wanted in the ballot since he was not an assist trophy in Smash 4 as I recall, and he still came back as an assist trophy in Ultimate. Waluigi could still be an assist trophy by the time of Smash 6.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Same feeling honestly like I remember Waluigi has been the most requested Mario character before :ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultdaisy: all got confirmed yet here we are.
They could easily choose someone like Pauline or King Boo or Toad even Foreman Spike before him in the next smash game.
Like is it part Waluigi lore to stay a loser? Which might explain the situation or Nintendo not taking the request as serious? maybe due to some toxic Waluigi fans who sent death threats to Sakurai?
I think the death threats shouldn't matter but this is my hopeful thinking though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't remember when Waluigi was more requested than Jr.

During the Smash 4 period, Jr. Was far and away the most popular Mario request. And even then, Mario requests weren't super common.

Gotta remember, Waluigi wasn't always popular. His break into stardom only happened within the last 8 years or so.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whilst I do think it's true that Waluigi has been requested before, and a lot, I think at least Bowser Jr. had more fan support. Rosalina makes more sense, Daisy is an Echo, and well... Piranha Plant, is just there. I don't think his absence has much to do with the death treats, but more that this character has never been meant for more than filler material. He just ended up being a comic filler, and appear a lot in spin off Mario games. It's easy to picture Pauline and any variation of Toad before him, and I do think that will happen yeah.

Waluigi at best will be a semi clone of the semi clone that's Luigi. Maybe borrow a little from Wario too in terms of quirkiness. I'll never expect him to be a fully unique character.

But I would avoid speaking this "sore loser mentality" talk, because honestly, Geno support isn't all that much better. I actually see the cases for Waluigi and Geno as quite similar, that being that internet fan support and loud outcries on the internet can be overlooked if there are better, more popular options available. Which there frankly are. The Mario franchise is huge and Nintendo's most well known brand too, and Square wants what's best for them mostly. You can't expect them to go for Waluigi and Geno as the "best" possible option considering this.

No disrespect to both fanbases as I admire their passionate support, but I don't see the chances for either character as very likely, and for quite the same reasons.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Crash has to be number 2 and I feel like a lot of the top ten are assist trophies or mii costume
I dont think crash was really that popular of a pick back in the smash ballot days though
Whilst I do think it's true that Waluigi has been requested before, and a lot, I think at least Bowser Jr. had more fan support. Rosalina makes more sense, Daisy is an Echo, and well... Piranha Plant, is just there. I don't think his absence has much to do with the death treats, but more that this character has never been meant for more than filler material. He just ended up being a comic filler, and appear a lot in spin off Mario games. It's easy to picture Pauline and any variation of Toad before him, and I do think that will happen yeah.

Waluigi at best will be a semi clone of the semi clone that's Luigi. Maybe borrow a little from Wario too in terms of quirkiness. I'll never expect him to be a fully unique character.

But I would avoid speaking this "sore loser mentality" talk, because honestly, Geno support isn't all that much better. I actually see the cases for Waluigi and Geno as quite similar, that being that internet fan support and loud outcries on the internet can be overlooked if there are better, more popular options available. Which there frankly are. The Mario franchise is huge and Nintendo's most well known brand too, and Square wants what's best for them mostly. You can't expect them to go for Waluigi and Geno as the "best" possible option considering this.

No disrespect to both fanbases as I admire their passionate support, but I don't see the chances for either character as very likely, and for quite the same reasons.
I feel like waluigi is way more likelier since hes actually owned by nintendo and not some third party like square like geno

SKX31

Smash Master
To change up the subject a little, which characters do you all feel are the most likely to get move set changes ? And name a few changes you'd like to see in characters.
I'm returning to this a couple weeks late and I'm going to say: :ultpit: / :ultdarkpit: 's Upperdasher / Electroshock Arms. I'd really target those for changes and de-cloning.

To go in more in detail: The intent with those moves were likely to give Pit players an easy bake big hit, and that's fully understandable when looking at what their archetype's supposed to be. However, my main qualms with their Side B is that its reflection property does not work most of the time and for a move with already heavy endlag its super armor does not activate instantly. Meaning when the Arm gets shielded, whiffs or doesn't send the projectile as it supposed to they're complete sitting ducks (including losing to attacks they shouldn't lose to what the hell).

Also, it's a big smack when Pit already does a lot of that in his moveset and his canonical abilities (and Pittoo's by extension) are a bit more imaginative. For Pit I'd imagine that the Taurus or Phoenix Arms would be good replacements - in particular if they're command grabs and if one can control how far the Pits move. Pittoo's staff could either be adapted to a normal move, or he could use the other arm. As for the differences between Taurus / Phoenix:

• Taurus might be able to grab from a longer distance, can choose to toss or knock down a la Flame Choke and if the toss is chosen it tosses at a semispike angle.
  • While Phoenix could deal slightly more damage as a trade off for the shortened latch distance, can choose to toss at a horizontal / vertical angle and with a little more knockback growth.

Taurus is to help Pit's more maneuverable arrows and lean him further towards the ground (he runs a lot whether in the original or Uprising), while Pittoo gets Phoenix to help solidify his status as a sniper in KI: also considering that his arrows are less manueverable than Pit's but deal more damage / knockback.

If anyone would prefer any other Arm or something else entirely, feel free to suggest.

I just saw "#Geralt4Smash" trending on Twitter.

I think somebody wanted to start 2022 with chaos...
Chaos?

:4pacman:

Last edited:
I'm returning to this a couple weeks late and I'm going to say: :ultpit: / :ultdarkpit: 's Upperdasher / Electroshock Arms. I'd really target those for changes and de-cloning.

To go in more in detail: The intent with those moves were likely to give Pit players an easy bake big hit, and that's fully understandable when looking at what their archetype's supposed to be. However, my main qualms with their Side B is that its reflection property does not work most of the time and for a move with already heavy endlag its super armor does not activate instantly. Meaning when the Arm gets shielded, whiffs or doesn't send the projectile as it supposed to they're complete sitting ducks (including losing to attacks they shouldn't lose to what the hell).

Also, it's a big smack when Pit already does a lot of that in his moveset and his canonical abilities (and Pittoo's by extension) are a bit more imaginative. For Pit I'd imagine that the Taurus or Phoenix Arms would be good replacements - in particular if they're command grabs and if one can control how far the Pits move. Pittoo's staff could either be adapted to a normal move, or he could use the other arm. As for the differences between Taurus / Phoenix:

• Taurus might be able to grab from a longer distance, can choose to toss or knock down a la Flame Choke and if the toss is chosen it tosses at a semispike angle.
  • While Phoenix could deal slightly more damage as a trade off for the shortened latch distance, can choose to toss at a horizontal / vertical angle and with a little more knockback growth.

Taurus is to help Pit's more maneuverable arrows and lean him further towards the ground (he runs a lot whether in the original or Uprising), while Pittoo gets Phoenix to help solidify his status as a sniper in KI: also considering that his arrows are less manueverable than Pit's but deal more damage / knockback.

If anyone would prefer any other Arm or something else entirely, feel free to suggest.

Chaos?

:4pacman:
Wait, hold on.
This means that Non-videogame characters, who are known for Games can join Smash?
But there is a rule, where it needs to have very popular games.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait, hold on.
This means that Non-videogame characters, who are known for Games can join Smash?
But there is a rule, where it needs to have very popular games.
No, the only rule for non-video game characters is that I personally have to approve them.

Enjoy Hello Kitty in Smash 6.8: a fragmentary passage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Happy new year all.

I just had a random thought about Smash while watching some competitive play, and had a sudden flash of brainstorming in myself where I was remembered about all this Everyone Is Here and the discussion if they're all gonna return next Smash.

Basically came down to this: what if Everyone Returns Again, but there's a catch; many characters will actually be more clonish to their counterparts, and some will lose some of their unique mechanics. Mario sharing Down B with Dr.Mario and Luigi again, Falco and Wolf being closer to design to Fox, Ganondorf gets new Specials but are all Specials of other characters, Lucas loses the Rope Snake grab, all Pokemon Trainers Pokemon are separate now, Isabelle becomes a full Villager Echo, Hero gets a moveset not based around RNG, Pyra and Mytrha are split up as own characters... You name it.

Would this be acceptable to you ?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Happy new year all.

I just had a random thought about Smash while watching some competitive play, and had a sudden flash of brainstorming in myself where I was remembered about all this Everyone Is Here and the discussion if they're all gonna return next Smash.

Basically came down to this: what if Everyone Returns Again, but there's a catch; many characters will actually be more clonish to their counterparts, and some will lose some of their unique mechanics. Mario sharing Down B with Dr.Mario and Luigi again, Falco and Wolf being closer to design to Fox, Ganondorf gets new Specials but are all Specials of other characters, Lucas loses the Rope Snake grab, all Pokemon Trainers Pokemon are separate now, Isabelle becomes a full Villager Echo, Hero gets a moveset not based around RNG, Pyra and Mytrha are split up as own characters... You name it.

No.

Happy new year all.

Thanks, but i doubt that we could have some cuts like Piranha Plant or Pichu, since they are worthless characters.

Top Bottom