• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Character uniqueness is what it is all about, and Sakurai is the master of that. I'm super pumped for the ARMS rep, Smash finally gets its Dhalsim type fighter. I'd love to see some other wild ideas. Maybe we could get Ryu Hayabusa and have his game-play revolve around stealth. Or he could have the ability to climb around on the stage. I'm on board with anything unique and different at this point. After Banjo, the roster feels complete to me, and anything else is a cherry on top of a perfect sundae.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Character uniqueness is what it is all about, and Sakurai is the master of that. I'm super pumped for the ARMS rep, Smash finally gets its Dhalsim type fighter. I'd love to see some other wild ideas. Maybe we could get Ryu Hayabusa and have his game-play revolve around stealth. Or he could have the ability to climb around on the stage. I'm on board with anything unique and different at this point. After Banjo, the roster feels complete to me, and anything else is a cherry on top of a perfect sundae.
We could also have Axel Stone, and his meter that prevents recoil damage for one special move with a 5-second cooldown.

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
YESSSS! Absolutely. I loved Streets of Rage as a kid, I grew up with an original Genesis. I'd never even considered Axel Stone until SOR4 dropped, but this would be amazing.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Honestly promotion pick is a dumb complaint considering how many arguments for certain characters I have seen just because certain game's get ported to the Switch means that character has a good chance like Crash, Tracer, Doom Slayer, Dante etc.
FE gets **** on for being promotional picks, yet the main argument people have for Sylux is "He's gonna be in MP4*, so Nintendo will put him in Smash to promote that game." Those people are hypocrites.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I do want to say that it's interesting to see how the character speculation changes with each new installment. In Brawl, everyone was a bit more pickier on potential third parties and some third party choices were never considered. Things slightly opened up in SSB4 with 1st and 3rd party selections and despite some people whined about Pac-Man and Ryu getting in SSB4, they are general icons that are ones you think of first when it comes to gaming. Bayonetta getting in proved you don't have to be extremely historic to be a third party choice.

Ultimate pre-DLC everyone assumed Joker, Terry, and Hero weren't even potential choices and were impossible to add(At least in the West anyways) and now look. Now character speculation is as wide as ever to the point where while you have your typical Geno, Waluigi, Lloyd, Heihachi, etc etc support that's been there for a long time but now we have people seriously considering the likes of Doom Guy(As much as I don't want him in, personally), Master Chief, Sol Badguy, and hell choices like Reimu, Saber, and Monokuma actually being seriously considered for inclusion and speculated on as well as their own impact in their own ways.

It's good since at the very least it brings up new faces to discuss and even if these choices don't get in, hopefully support stays to where Sakurai or whoever else would be on the helm for the next game would take notice. Hopefully this would mean we'd get some more interesting discussions as time goes on, even on the off chance one of the "Unlikely" choices get picked this DLC cycle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
FE gets **** on for being promotional picks, yet the main argument people have for Sylux is "He's gonna be in MP4*, so Nintendo will put him in Smash to promote that game." Those people are hypocrites.
The main difference is that a lot of people were complaining about the number of FE reps before Ultimate was even a thing. Sakurai himself has acknowledged it on several occasions, and he even tried to lower people's expectations moments before he showed us Byleth's reveal trailer. Metroid on the other hand has been somewhat neglected until recently.

The response to promo picks differ on a character to character basis. Had Rex and Decidueye gotten in the base roster, I don't think the reception to them would've been negative in the slightest. If anything, I could see quite a few people claiming that they were one of the best additions.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I do want to say that it's interesting to see how the character speculation changes with each new installment. In Brawl, everyone was a bit more pickier on potential third parties and some third party choices were never considered. Things slightly opened up in SSB4 with 1st and 3rd party selections and despite some people whined about Pac-Man and Ryu getting in SSB4, they are general icons that are ones you think of first when it comes to gaming. Bayonetta getting in proved you don't have to be extremely historic to be a third party choice.

Ultimate pre-DLC everyone assumed Joker, Terry, and Hero weren't even potential choices and were impossible to add(At least in the West anyways) and now look. Now character speculation is as wide as ever to the point where while you have your typical Geno, Waluigi, Lloyd, Heihachi, etc etc support that's been there for a long time but now we have people seriously considering the likes of Doom Guy(As much as I don't want him in, personally), Master Chief, Sol Badguy, and hell choices like Reimu, Saber, and Monokuma actually being seriously considered for inclusion and speculated on as well as their own impact in their own ways.

It's good since at the very least it brings up new faces to discuss and even if these choices don't get in, hopefully support stays to where Sakurai or whoever else would be on the helm for the next game would take notice. Hopefully this would mean we'd get some more interesting discussions as time goes on, even on the off chance one of the "Unlikely" choices get picked this DLC cycle.
This also kinda shifted in moveset speculation; back in Brawl, not many characters had a special gimmick specifically tied to them.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm not saying they're not promoting the game, I'm saying it's not the reason for their inclusion, and that the fact that they were able to was because Hero's release was able to coincide with Dragon Quest XI S's release. Were they able to get Hero in the base game like they were initially discussing, Dragon Quest XI S's release would still be a ways away upon his inclusion.
My original argument is that there are multiple factors that go into picking and getting a fighter into Smash. Trying to boil it down to one reason is bad for speculation. If someone says "X will get into Smash because it's popular" and that's the only reason you have to believe that, then maybe that character doesn't have enough to be picked. Get my drift? These are big decisions that cost time and money. They aren't going to select characters that don't have multiple things going for them. Especially ones that would make money on both Nintendo and the other companies part.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Jokes aside, I'd legitimately be surprised if we get another Fire Emblem character. Period. There's no real reason for Nintendo to want to add one. A Pokémon is plausible, but a Fire Emblem character? No way.
Well, everyone seems to forgot that there is a 2020 definitive edition spinoff game of Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei called Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore.

So far, there is no spirit board event featuring this game content, and this game announcement was during the November 2019 direct right around where he stated that the Fighter Pass 2 selection is finished.

Don't be surprise if it is Itsuki Aoi

or Tsubasa Oribe

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well, everyone seems to forgot that there is a 2020 definitive edition spinoff game of Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei called Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore.

So far, there is no spirit board event featuring this game content, and this game announcement was during the November 2019 direct right around where he stated that the Fighter Pass 2 selection is finished.

Don't be surprise if it is Itsuki Aoi

or Tsubasa Oribe

Another Marth clone but with Jokers gimmick which summons another Chrom to the field.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I know that 'legacy character' is a bit subjective, but I do hope we get more of these.

Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Sora, Scorpion, Frogger- there are some characters that have transcended gaming. Those are the ones that most entice me.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Another Marth clone but with Jokers gimmick which summons another Chrom to the field.
Yes, as there are already multiple Marth clones in the game, and Chrom did appears in Robin's final smash and he is a smash character in the game as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we get a ****ing Tokyo Mirage Sessions character before we get a Shin Megami Tensei character, I'm quitting Smash Bros and picking up competitive suffering.

The main difference is that a lot of people were complaining about the number of FE reps before Ultimate was even a thing. Sakurai himself has acknowledged it on several occasions, and he even tried to lower people's expectations moments before he showed us Byleth's reveal trailer. Metroid on the other hand has been somewhat neglected until recently.
Then wanting a character for filling out a character roster quota is even dumber instead of, y'know, liking the character.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My original argument is that there are multiple factors that go into picking and getting a fighter into Smash. Trying to boil it down to one reason is bad for speculation. If someone says "X will get into Smash because it's popular" and that's the only reason you have to believe that, then maybe that character doesn't have enough to be picked. Get my drift? These are big decisions that cost time and money. They aren't going to select characters that don't have multiple things going for them. Especially ones that would make money on both Nintendo and the other companies part.
I get what you're saying. I just don't agree. Most of the DLC characters have only one clear reason as to why they were added. That's not to say that Nintendo's just picking names out of a hat, but the characters don't exactly need to have all their little ducks in a row to even be considered.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...There's no way that Nintendo would be so tone deaf as to add original the character from a low profile spin-off game that, if I wasn't misinformed, neither Shin Megamei Tensei nor Fire Emblem fans liked due to the game not really using either property beyond a surface level, especially since the main criticism is that each character from the series feels like Marth. Even if they went with Tsubasa, it would still be a bad choice, because now her target audience is miffed because you added the closest character to Caeda that isn't Caeda.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
To be fair, Sylux support really seems to have died down lately. It still exists, but nowhere near the level it was back in the Sm4sh DLC era.

While the 'quota-filling' idea is just as hollow a reason to support a character as any, Metroid was really shafted in the series love department, to the extent that people wanted anything they could get. There was Samus since Smash64, and then in Brawl we got...Samus again. Meanwhile, the only other major contender kept getting relegated to NPC roles. A lot of Sylux's support was centered around "Metroid needs more, and with Ridley out, he seems like the next best choice"

Now that Ridley's in, (and with Metroid Prime 4 getting the reset button), you don't hear much about Sylux anymore. I think most Metroid fans are really happy with the current state of representation. After all, it's loads better than they had before.

I also can't fault people for being annoyed with Fire Emblem getting a character every time it turns around. FE has gotten two new characters a game since Melee (one in Brawl but three in Sm4sh). There are other series - major Nintendo series at that - that have gotten no unique characters since Melee. There have been 5 characters added representing the last 4 Fire Emblem main-series games alone (one of which was a remake of FE:II, and got nothing but a few Spirits), and on top of that they got their own victory themes by game, intercharacter dialogues, and other small touches like that, while other series aren't getting these little touches. Naturally for anyone who's a fan of a 'neglected' series and doesn't much care for Fire Emblem, this'll rub people the wrong way.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
give me tokyo mirage sessions #fe

i want to watch this world burn

burn

Also it's actually not a bad game and gets a lot of unjust hate because it wasn't exactly what fans wanted and leaned a bit too far into anime territory. Is it a flawed game? Sure. But also people give it a lot of **** when it's pretty good for what it's worth.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I honestly don't understand what youre saying.
All the fighters have something in common from pass one- that they are
1- an outlier
2- legacy franchises
3- new franchises

... and then go on to state that the new pass will follow the same single rule...
but immediately defy it with the first character being a new IP.

Can you please help clarify what you mean?
I'll just boil it down. I don't think there will be a change in focus for the second Pass from the first Pass.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I also can't fault people for being annoyed with Fire Emblem getting a character every time it turns around. FE has gotten two new characters a game since Melee (one in Brawl but three in Sm4sh). There are other series - major Nintendo series at that - that have gotten no unique characters since Melee. There have been 5 characters added representing the last 4 Fire Emblem main-series games alone (one of which was a remake of FE:II, and got nothing but a few Spirits), and on top of that they got their own victory themes by game, intercharacter dialogues, and other small touches like that, while other series aren't getting these little touches. Naturally for anyone who's a fan of a 'neglected' series and doesn't much care for Fire Emblem, this'll rub people the wrong way.
I say if Fire Emblem gets 8 characters, then so should the JRPG Juggernaut, Final Fantasy.

1. Cloud
2. Zack (Cloud ε)
3. Noctis
4. Black Mage
5. Chokobo
6. Zidane
7. Sephiroth
8. Tifa

Barret and Aerith are the runners up.

While we're at it, since FF7 got remade, let's have modern Triple A remakes of Dragon Quest 3 and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
give me tokyo mirage sessions #fe

i want to watch this world burn

burn

Also it's actually not a bad game and gets a lot of unjust hate because it wasn't exactly what fans wanted and leaned a bit too far into anime territory. Is it a flawed game? Sure. But also people give it a lot of **** when it's pretty good for what it's worth.
A little offhand, but I feel TMS would've gone over better if we didn't get that teaser trailer two years before they were ready to show it. What they shown us then gave a far different impression then what the game ended up being, and that first impression really tainted it for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just gonna say rn

If we ever get another Konami rep it has to be Vic Viper

But its the ZOE design being piloted by Leo

So not only are we repping Gradius, but ZOE as well.

A perfect two in one package. Its a perfect opportunity.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll just boil it down. I don't think there will be a change in focus for the second Pass from the first Pass.
I still find it interesting that despite ARMS being pretty new, a lot of people interpreted it as the sign of us getting nothing but old first parties after this.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, While FP1 to my knowledge wasn't 100% guess correctly by anyone, there were people that did get 3 or even 4 out of the 5 guesses correct. Since it seems those peoplehave expert guessing and speculating abilities, i wonder who they think will be in FP@

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...There's no way that Nintendo would be so tone deaf as to add original the character from a low profile spin-off game that, if I wasn't misinformed, neither Shin Megamei Tensei nor Fire Emblem fans liked due to the game not really using either property beyond a surface level, especially since the main criticism is that each character from the series feels like Marth. Even if they went with Tsubasa, it would still be a bad choice, because now her target audience is miffed because you added the closest character to Caeda that isn't Caeda.
Well, you are definitely misinformed, it only disappointed those that thought it was going to be a strategic RPG or a Shin Megami tensei like game, most people that got the game really liked it (not saying it was perfect, Aoi is not the most likeable character for example) I hardly know of people complaining about the game that actually played it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just gonna say rn

If we ever get another Konami rep it has to be Vic Viper

But its the ZOE design being piloted by Leo

So not only are we repping Gradius, but ZOE as well.

A perfect two in one package. Its a perfect opportunity.
Much as I love the Vic Viper, it is first and foremost a shmup game, and that kind of stuff is kinda hard to translate to smash. And if they were gonna pick the ZOE version, they'd prob pick Anubis. Still though, I'm all up for it.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Much as I love the Vic Viper, it is first and foremost a shmup game, and that kind of stuff is kinda hard to translate to smash. And if they were gonna pick the ZOE version, they'd prob pick Anubis. Still though, I'm all up for it.
*Jehuty
Anubis is the villian mech

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If we get a ****ing Tokyo Mirage Sessions character before we get a Shin Megami Tensei character, I'm quitting Smash Bros and picking up competitive suffering.
You're a SMT fan, I believe you already partake in competitive suffering.
I say if Fire Emblem gets 8 characters, then so should the JRPG Juggernaut, Final Fantasy.

1. Cloud
2. Zack (Cloud ε)
3. Noctis
4. Black Mage
5. Chokobo
6. Zidane
7. Sephiroth
8. Tifa

While we're at it, since FF7 got remade, let's have modern Triple A remakes of Dragon Quest 3 and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon!
Come on, you get 8 Final Fantasy slots and you waste them on Noctis, Chocobo, Zack and Black Mage? And I love FFIX, it's my favorite, but what are your priorities if Zidane gets in over Terra, Cecil, or even Squall?

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice

1. Cloud
2. Zack (Cloud ε)
3. Noctis
4. Black Mage
5. Chokobo
6. Zidane
7. Sephiroth
8. Tifa

I didn't know FF was a first party franchise where Nintendo had full unfettered access to, but go ham.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'll try not to clog up the thread with anymore of these, but I made a challenger pack mock up for my all time most wanted Smash newcomer
S-Somebody remembered Inazuma Eleven.

I wish that was the norm from now on, third party characters bringing other franchises from the same developper as spirits in the same pass. Banjo could've brought more Rare/Microsoft spirits that way.

Attachments

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Chill night so I'm going to info dump my DLC predictions. Outside of the Arms rep, none of these are in order.

Fighter 1: Spring Man/Min Min
Stage: Sky Arena - Fans in the audience wear hats based on the characters chosen; Hedlock can appear as an item
We know it's arms, nothing much to go over here that hasn't been said

Fighter 2: Crash Bandicoot
Stage: Time Twister - stage occasionally warps to different areas based on popular crash levels
In terms of third parties, I think this is one of the more likely ones. The resurgence crash has had recently thanks to the remakes, the fact this means the classic titles have been on switch for some time now, the iconic status of crash as another mascot rival to Mario... this would just be an excellent addition.

Fighter 3: Elma/Rex
Stage: If Elma, Noctilum? Sylvalum?; If Rex, Mor Ardain - whichever, I would assume another moving level that showcases different levels of these huge areas
I am among those that feel that Rex and Arms being called out as not being ready soon enough for base game inclusion was a nice callout, and now that this is being remedied with Arms it would be weird for Nintendo and Sakurai to NOT capitalize on that to bring in some love to Xenoblade. I would love for it to be Elma as X was so underrated and overlooked and it would be sick to find out that one is also being remade. However, Rex also merits it at this point since otherwise he just feels like this game's version of Smash 4's Chrom

Fighter 4: Gen 8 Pokemon - Dragapult/Toxtricity
Stage: Wild Area - weather changes and different pokemon appear in the background depending on the weather. Sometimes the sky goes pink and a gygantamax pokemon appears as a hazard
I'm going wild on this one and say none of the starters will get the spot. So far the most attention seems to have gone to Raboot in the anime which makes it seem like the scorbunny line is the favored one, but because of the pokemon fan poll not giving any starter an edge over other pokemon I wonder if they'll give other ones the edge.
The other reason I would opt for these two has to do with what they can represent as something new for Pokemon. Dragapult could represent pseudolegendaries, would two super popular types still unused in smash ( ghost and dragon ), and it's probably Leon's most notable non-starter, non-charizard Pokemon.
Toxtricity is one I find less interesting, but it would be cool if they took advantage of it to get a moveset revolving around status conditions such as paralysis and poison. Mostly just mentioning it since it was also fairly popular in the fan votes.
Of note is that I don't see this necessarily happening this year to hype the DLC, but later to have a tie-in with the next game ("buy DPP game within the first three months and get a free, otherwise unobtainable dreepy!")

Fighter 5: Controversy! Also known as mobile game rep
Stage: No idea here
This is where my list gets less biased as I have no personal investment in this, but it seems logical to me. Mobile games represent a huge untapped market that could potentially expand the smash audience and also boost sales for whatever rep's game gets chosen.
It kind of amuses me that I see disdain towards Euden from Dragalia Lost because of it being mobile, but honestly that's small potatoes to the really gacha games that exist out there. Nintendo mobile games as super F2P friendly in general, and in this sense I think Euden is the most inoffensive option possible. It would also rep a new Nintendo property that has done rather well, and giving it a smash rep could boost its numbers which is a good business move for Nintendo.
On the less innocent side, I can also see this go into third party territory, with something from Monster Striker or Puzzles & Dragons, two extremely successful franchises that originated in Japan and that have already been featured in Nintendo systems (3DS). I see puzzles & dragons being the most likely one due to having so many cross-overs already and being from a more game-focused company (GungHo, also known for their upcoming Ninjala!).
On a side note, given the playstyle of puzzles & dragons, this would also bring in some puzzle game representation! Honestly, I'd rather get something with history like Lip or Arle, buuuuut... money is money and I think business-wise this is a huge crossover, particularly in Japan, that people are sleeping on. Mobile reps in general are being slept on super hard.

Fighter 6: Waluigi.... or what if a mario RPG rep?
Stage: Marina Stadium (Mario Tennis Aces) if Waluigi; ??? if mario RPG rep
Given the fuss waluigi brought about after being confirmed an assist trophy, I could see Nintendo aiming to go for this. It would bring tons of media attention, and honestly, it would be kind of hilarious.
Buuut, there ARE those rumors about a Paper Mario game potentially happening and all that jazz... which makes me wonder if they could instead give us a mario RPG character. I don't care about Geno, but that could be a possibility. My preference would be paper mario. Or heck, just go nuts and wild and give me paper waluigi. Or Rawk Hawk. Honestly, I don't quite care, I think it really will just be waluigi.

Honorable mentions:
Zelda, Kirby, DK - Depends on how shill Nintendo wants to go. I can see a new Kirby game happening soon, BotW2 is happening, and it would be cool to be in a reality where Dixie gets some love. If anything, there's a possibility they skip the pokemon DLC rep and focus on a different property.
Kid Icarus, Mother rep - extremely less-likely, but I want to believe there's a chance these get some attention. Uprising deserves a re-release on Switch, and one can always dream of Mother 3.
Honestly, all things considered there's a ton of really well-known characters that could be added from third parties that I don't even want to go there. Otherwise this will never end.

BONUS ROUND!
Mii costumes
- Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer - Swordfighter) w/ Disco Descent (song)
- Knight (Hollow Knight - Swordfighter) w/ uuuuh... I have no idea which song is the best from here, tbh. Honestly, I would prefer Hornet too...
- Madeline (Celeste - ???) w/ First Step (song) ... I don't think Madeline from Celeste is exactly a fighter, mostly just want some representation and music from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom