• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I still don't see why Sakurai would pull from KOF 2003 and KOF XI's mechanics and give Terry a tag team gimmick.

It'd be so much more convenient to have a super meter from early Fatal Fury and KOF and make that his gimmick.
A super meter is what I think Terry's gimmick is going to be aside from input-based moves.
While I'm leaning towards real on the Mii hats, it's all up in the air with all these debates. Guess we'll see what Mii costumes are announced tomorrow morning. If not, maybe we could see them later on.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
While I'm leaning towards real on the Mii hats, it's all up in the air with all these debates. Guess we'll see what Mii costumes are announced tomorrow morning.
I'm thinking the deadline is when Fighter #5 is released which is probably not going to happen until February.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Before I forget, here's my moveset prediction for Terry:

Neutral B - Power Wave

Side B - Burn Knuckle, becomes Power Dunk in the air, latter move can be used on the ground with DP input

Up B - Rising Tackle

Down B - Crack Shoot

Dash Attack - Power Charge

Chargeable power meter, can use power geyser and buster wolf w/ inputs

Final Smash is either Power Stream or Star Dunk Volcano (Maybe both)

He'll pull a couple of things from Ken and Ryu such as move inputs, button pess or tap changes the properties of certain moves, Fatal Fury sound effects for hits and blocking, facing the opponent in a 1v1 and maybe having two final smashes.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Imagine all the salt if Frogger gets in before/over Waluigi.
I would LOVE Frogger in Smash Bros to be honest. One of those "I never thought about that, but it would be awesome and iconic" choices haha. Also screw Waluigi. Sorrynotsorry

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
If they aren't going to talk about any other fighters then I'm hoping there will be a ton of changes made in the 6.0 update that will take up that time. Here's my wishlist:

- Online improvements
- You can now play any song on any stage in My Music
- You can now set the frequency of each individual item
- Certain stages with their hazards turned off will be fixed, such as Summit or Living Room
- Mii Fighters are now usable in Classic Mode
- The ability to see hitboxes in Training Mode
- Extra alternate colors for fighters

Any of these would make me extremely happy.
I like this game. I'll play.

My predictions (with some analysis!):

• Terry showcase will be about 19-22 minutes long. This includes his moveset, stage, songs, spirits, gameplay, and commentary.
    • For comparison, Joker had about 9 minutes, Hero had about 17 minutes, and Banjo and Kazooie had about 17 minutes. It's worth noting that Joker didn't have a "livestream" format, so there wasn't a ton of commentary.
    • I think Terry's showcase will be longer than the others because of a gameplay gimmick and the fact that he'll probably tell the story of how his franchise is tied to the creation of Smash.
  • Mii fighter portion will only be about 1-1.5 minutes long. This is the same length as the others.
  • The final game modes will be released. I'd say we can expect about 5 minutes at most.
    • The most time spent on new game modes in a direct is about 2-3 minutes.
  • Amiibo talk for about 1 minute tops.
  • I think we'll get about 2-3 minutes cross-promotion for a KoF or Fatal Fury game on the Switch. He'll announce this and show off the game using a fighting pad controller.
  • I think he'll spend a minute or two on general updates in the new version.
  • And here's where I start stretching...I think we'll get talk about the new DLC pack. Not necessarily new fighters, per se, but just how it works, the timeframe of when we'll see them, how many there are, and how they were selected. 2-3 minutes tops.
  • We'll get something really left-field but kind of in demand, like alternate costumes or old stages added back in. Or maybe additional stage builder content. 3-5 minutes.
  • I know what they say, but I'm still thinking we'll get either a reveal trailer or a tease when the last trailer will drop. 1-2 minutes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would LOVE Frogger in Smash Bros to be honest. One of those "I never thought about that, but it would be awesome and iconic" choices haha. Also screw Waluigi. Sorrynotsorry
Like its not even an comparison to begin with. One's an arcade classic icon in the days of Pac-Man's debut. The other is a side character only created because Wario needed a partner whose appearance has only been Mario sports spin-offs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think Sabi realizes that being first to claim something doesn't mean anything if you've nothing to say.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Imagine all the salt if Frogger gets in before/over Waluigi.
Except Frogger more then earns his spot over Waluigi.

Frogger's an arcade icon up there in those days with Pac-Man. Waluigi on the other hand being an side character who was exclusively made as a partner for Wario in Mario sports spin-offs.
Do we always have to make these Waluigi potshots?

Despite his familiarity in the Arcade era, literally nobody gave a s**** about Frogger until that one leak that lines up with the Terry broadcast and Mii leaks and thus everyone bandwagoned on him including me.

Atleast Waluigi has popularity as a character in the Nintendo community despite him “being created just to give Wario a partner” or “spinoffs only.”

:ultpichu: was created as a pre-evolution of:ultpikachu: to give the Pikachu lineup a number of 3.
:ultwiifittrainer:was created as an avatar simulation to give you some excerise.
:ultluigi: himself was literally created as a Player 2 “Green Mario” and you could even say the same for:ultken:

Frankly the origin argument is dumb as hell.

It’s like saying Galaga or Dig Dug is more important to get in Smash over someone like Dixie or even Daisy who’s practically a spin-off character herself unless you count her minor roles in Mario Land 2 and an App game.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
  • Or maybe additional stage builder content
yoooo great idea! never thought of that

Re: Sabi, she's had sources straight up deconfirm things. While her most recent update isnt exactly helpful, it doesnt take away any credibility from these rpg/doom costumes. esketit

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Verge ought to say something the matter soon, people have been bugging him for a bit anout the Mii stuff on Gamefaqs.
Thing is, Verge has been inactive lately. It's kinda like the creator of Hunter X Hunter when he was stuck playing Dragon Quest while everyone was still hanging on his creation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Verge ought to say something the matter soon, people have been bugging him for a bit anout the Mii stuff on Gamefaqs.
It'd be funny if Verg got the scoop after this was said:

Which is a pretty bold thing to say for someone who has leaked all of zero characters.

D

Deleted member

It'd be funny if Verg got the scoop after this was said:

Which is a pretty bold thing to say for someone who has leaked all of zero characters.
What a haughty egocentric.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Thing is, Verge has been inactive lately. It's kinda like the creator of Hunter X Hunter when he was stuck playing Dragon Quest while everyone was still hanging on his creation.
Actually

Funny you mention Vergeben, he has been recently talking. Here’s everything he said 9 hours ago:
-Fighter 5 is not Scorpion
-Verge has no issues with Sabi
-Verge does not have specifics on Terry’s moveset but thinks it would be neat if there was a “Striker” mechanic?
-Finally he basically insulted someone over him being called out

So basically nothing
Seems that everyone and their grandma can deconfirm fighters, but won't say who the hell is fighter 5 lmao

D

Deleted member

I feel really dumb today. With the announcement of the Terry presentation happening this week, I didn't realize it was supposed to be tomorrow and not today :facepalm:

Anyways, it looks like Sabi's got nothing right now, and Vergeben said Scorpion isn't FP5, which gee who didn't see that 1 coming from a mile away? With there being no new reveal tomorrow, I guess I'll be tuning in to a special Sakurai podcast talking about the history of SNK.

D

Deleted member

I feel really dumb today. With the announcement of the Terry presentation happening this week, I didn't realize it was supposed to be tomorrow and not today :facepalm:

Anyways, it looks like Sabi's got nothing right now, and Vergeben said Scorpion isn't FP5, which gee who didn't see that 1 coming from a mile away? With there being no new reveal tomorrow, I guess I'll be tuning in to a special Sakurai podcast talking about the history of SNK.
Oh yeah. It is as long as a normal podcast episode, though the K-Pop podcast I listen to usually takes around an hour. But still. It feels like 2 anime eps crammed together.

D

Deleted member

Have people gotten over their Hateboner for Verge?
It's just that everyone realizes that Verge is not worth following until he says a character.

Compared to Sabi who people think is still worth following.

D

Deleted member

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

Update from Sabi
I guess that implies that Sabi's contact doesn't think Doomguy is a fighter but that Doom Miis are possible, which is not a good outcome.
That said, there's always the possibility that for the purpose of development cooperation the Smash team would be working with id Software directly. Bethesda is ZeniMax's publishing arm but non-tangential involvement from them may not be necessary.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
The reason why there is no leak for FP #5 is because we aren't getting a 5th character, duh.
Everyone is looking for a character to be in development, but maybe they've looked past the actual number 5 charcter who has been here all along. That's right, number 5 is Sakurai himself. Hidden in plain sight the whole time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom