• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not sure if those are hot takes but:
-If Daisy and Richter could have been echo Alph sould have been an echo too.
That's not a hot take that's fact. Alph was bullied by Sakurai, it was literally free real estate.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Black Knight would be best as a semiclone. Looking at his Assist Trophy, he moves and works differently that Ike, and even though Dark Samus was stripped of unique properties, she was shaped like Samus as well. Isabelle was a semiclone because she was slight differences in proportions, so logically Black Knight's hulking armor would be much different than Ike's.
I see it as a Falcon/Ganondorf relationship. They have similar moves, but one is a hulking monstrosity and the other is fast in comparison (Or in general, in Cap's case). As such, they'd have different animations, properties, and proportions; For example, BK would just jump up and come crashing back down instead of Ike's flashy flips, and his Side Draw would just be a chargeable heavy slash with little-to-no mobility. Stuff like that.
Man, everyone wants Black Knight, but I want Altina.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This isn't a hot take.

This is just a fact.

:ultalph: ALPH GOT ROBBED:ultalph:
bro how i gonna make the same post but get robbed of the fame cause of being put in the bottom of the last page

cry.png

its not fair man, no one ever reads that

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

What’s your most hot take-y character want?
Miriam's probably the hottest of takes due to the buggy Switch port, but that's patched up now and I think that's boiled over.
Also, the literal nobodies of Rundas and Lethe, and Magolor as a fifth Kirby rep after BWD, instead of Marx or Adeleine or anybody popular.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
bro how i gonna make the same post but get robbed of the fame cause of being put in the bottom of the last page

View attachment 278132

its not fair man, no one ever reads that
I'm sorry, I didn't see it. If I did, I wouldn't have posted.

Take this :ultalph: as an apology.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Mine were Cloud and Master Chief, but then the fanbase caught up with me. :shades:
I guess this used to be mine too but replace Cloud with a Sony rep. Neither of those are really hot takes anymore since MC gets brought up a lot now. Sony I guess might be but I still see a few Sony characters pop up every time someone asks about unlikely most wanteds, mostly Kratos and Ratchet and Clank

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Now that I’ve sunk some time into The World Ends With You (DS version) I think Neku could be a pretty cool addition.

I won’t count on anything as a “for sure” possibility, but The World Ends With You seems to be back in the spotlight a bit, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Neku could be really cool though.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About the Black Knight argument...

At this point, Black Knight would only get as an echo fighter. That's pretty much true, because theres absolutely 0 chances for him to be in Smash as an unique character. It would be a miracle if he gets in at all, honestly. But that doesn't mean it would make sense.

Some potential echo fighters would lose something in order to make it, but Black Knight is an entirely different case. Seriously, even if Ike's a bulky guy in Smash, Black Knight being Ike's echo sounds super bizarre to me.
And BK's and Dark Samus' situation are vastly different. While Dark Samus had enough material to be an unique fighter, she being an echo doesn't sound so crazy as Black Knight as an echo of Ike.

I mean, I guess they could use Ike as a base for BK, but I think it's pretty much obvious that like half of Ike's moveset wouldn't work or fit with Black Knight at all, at that point him being an echo would be dumb so better gave him an unique moveset lol

Yeah, saying that the "Tales of" series lacks legacy is quite a take, even a glimpse at the Wikipedia page would show you that's inaccurate. It's probably a result of them doing the live interview and thus just talking about ideas on the spot without being able to research, but even then they should've been more careful with making statements like that.
I'd guess it's also ignorance. Not being offensive with Jon here, not everyone will know the details about every franchise in gaming. But it certainly sounds bizarre to say "Tales has no legacy", when it has more legacy than some of the series we have in Smash. And it's not like I'm a big Tales fan (I've played Symphonia and Vesperia, nothing more), the inclusion of Lloyd or any other character would be mostly indifferent to me, but I think that saying Tales has no legacy for Smash is just a mistake, specially when you're someone that works as a journalist.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
400k (first Banjo) vs 110k (Halo 3) not world of difference. There was Halo anime collection which was sold decently there.
Well, I assume you believe that Reimu and Doom Slayer has worse chance with the same reasoning, correct?
Halo 5 was straight 30K life time sales and that is the most recent main line entry, that should probably tell you about the current state of the series in Japan, hell I think Doom's lack of popularity is something going against Doomguy.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I just think that if Black Knight is based off of Ike, the parts they take from him would just make him a stronger/slower version of a character who's already strong and relatively slow. I know he's supposed to be fast in the lore, but it'd be weird to see him zoom around and twirl his massive greatsword like it's nothing.

Though if we absolutely had to get another FE character, I'd much rather it be someone who isn't yet another semiclone/echo.

Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

I want Agumon as a Digimon rep

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Thanatos over anyone else from Kid Icarus, I guess. Even Magnus has had more support and I'm not sure if that sits well with me despite the fact that he was playable for a chapter.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Just to ask: HWYR if this was the starting roster for a Smash Ultimate rerelease?

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultinkling:
:ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
I think this would be a pretty interesting starting roster since it’s the original 12 and most of ultimates base game newcomers along with the first DLC fighter. If I had to make a starting roster, I think it would be the original 8 the Melee starters, the Brawl E3 characters minus :ultsnake:, the SSB 3DS/WiiU 2013 E3 newcomers, :ultinkling: and :ultridley: to represent the first set of newcomers in each game, so it’d look like this:

:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultwario::ulticeclimbers::ultpit:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultmegaman::ultfox:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just think that if Black Knight is based off of Ike, the parts they take from him would just make him a stronger/slower version of a character who's already strong and relatively slow. I know he's supposed to be fast in the lore, but it'd be weird to see him zoom around and twirl his massive greatsword like it's nothing.
Lucina is just baby-mode Marth and seeing her surpass him on a competitive level kinda blows. Like, she is objectively better but you're gonna see me use Marth 100% of the time because if I ain't tipping, I'm dipping.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Though if we absolutely had to get another FE character, I'd much rather it be someone who isn't yet another semiclone/echo.

I want Agumon as a Digimon rep
Anyone who doesn't want to play at least one fight between a Pokemon and a Digimon is either really young or a person you should not trust

Flik

Smash Journeyman
My hot take want is Celica aka another Fire Emblem character and another swordfighter. Double the salt with a tag team with Alm :joyful:

Man, everyone wants Black Knight, but I want Altina.

I don't know who is that but I'd 100% aprove :upsidedown:

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
BK seems like he'd be a less mobile Ike and I'm honestly not sure if I'd be too into that, unless he has magic or some other different abilities to make him less samey.

I still think a Dark Souls representative is far more likely than any other Namco property.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because he had a gun or because it wasn't Banjo?
...because he was an M-rated, gun-wielding, western mascot of a direct competitor to Nintendo that had never appeared on the platform while the breadth of what people believed acceptable and likely didn't far stray past the likes of the Nintendo-oriented inclusions contemporary to the time such as Sonic, and later Mega Man and Pac-Man.

Banjo wasn't even in the conversation.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
...because he was an M-rated, gun-wielding, western mascot of a direct competitor to Nintendo that had never appeared on the platform while the breadth of what people believed acceptable and likely didn't far stray past the likes of the Nintendo-oriented inclusions contemporary to the time such as Sonic, and later Mega Man and Pac-Man.

Banjo wasn't even in the conversation.
You didn't have to slaughter me in cold blood, damn. :skull: Just asking a question.

Steve vs. Banjo was a two-sided war to be completely fair.
Both sides had their share of ugly. I don't even wanna know where that Ugly Steve trend came from, reminds me of those creepy YT animators.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman

I guess wanting Neku over someone like Geno or 2B might be a hot take. But I think me wanting Louie over Alph or Cranky Kong and Funky Kong over Dixie Kong might be more of a hot take, I'm not sure though.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Halo 5 was straight 30K life time sales and that is the most recent main line entry, that should probably tell you about the current state of the series in Japan, hell I think Doom's lack of popularity is something going against Doomguy.
And how were 'Banjo and Tooie' and 'Nuts and Bolts' there?

Owain from FE: Awakening, but instead of an overactive imagination he has a hand that is cursed for real.

Make his Smash iteration the person he dreams he could be.

So he gets Nero's Devil Bringer?
I was thinking closer to Velvet's hand in Tales of Berseria, but that could work.

Edit: Fun fact. Odin, who is heavily implied to be Owain in FE Fates, is a dark mage, which could imply that Owain's imaginary powers could actually have been legitimate. That or he was so inspired that he later learns the dark arts. Either way, pretty cool.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You didn't have to slaughter me in cold blood, damn. :skull: Just asking a question.

Seriously though, I guess some people think the fanbase has always been cool with getting pretty much any character other than whichever ones "the kids" are memeing about at the time. But that's certainly not the case. The shift to the "you've been in a game I've heard of" standards where we are now was very gradual, from Snake to Ryu to Cloud to Bayo, all the way up to the characters in the last pass like Joker, Banjo and Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom