• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Codename guessing game? Sounds fun.

fighter_kind_Juice
fighter_kind_Revolution
fighter_kind_Multiply
fighter_kind_Polka
fighter_kind_Empty

Two of these are bit unusual for me, I'll admit.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If they did make BotW Zelda a character, what would her official name as a character even be? "Wild Zelda"?
Idk, either just keep it as Zelda or name her or rename the existing Zelda to Princess Zelda.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
While we're on the subject of leaks, what is everyone's thoughts about the League of Legends text post? I'm not talking about the legitimacy of it (because it's probably rubbish), but about how people would feel about a LoL fighter? It's inarguably one of the biggest games of all time and would be our first character from a computer game. Although, I get the feeling it wouldn't be a big hit with the crowd who are Nintendo focused fans.

I personally feel quite middling about a character being added. But I would be extremely intrigued concerning which character they would select.
I think a League of Legends fighter is likelier than expected, and I definitely wouldn't be surprised if we a LoL character in this pass.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
View attachment 276591

Okay y'all I wanna talk about Kazuma Kiryu. I know he gets brought up sometimes but thanks to me playing more than one Yakuza game, the thread having some great moveset discussion, Heihachi being off the table, and my desire for a brutal rushdown character in Smash, he has shot up my most-wanted list. I even might want him more than Arle on some days if we were to get another Sega rep.

I could talk about how he has a bunch of games to his name (and while the newest one doesn't feature him as protagonist he still is in it), and how he's popular, something something legacy, but I'd rather talk about how cool he is and how neat his moves are.

Kiryu is a Yakuza/ex-Yakuza, a stoic but selfless hard-nosed tough guy who finds himself embroiled in all manner of organized crime conspiracies due to his past. His games are high drama through sophisticated (and according to actual Yakuza members, realistic) power struggles, but also high comedy and entertainment through fun side quests, entertaining and silly diversions such as mahjong or arcade games, and deep and engaging beat-em-up action. He's a kind-hearted character who throws himself wholeheartedly into all kinds of scenarios and always ends up way over his head, whether it's adopting kids, playing with slot cars, or taking down international conspiracies.

As mentioned, his main form of attack is his martial arts, with his heavy hits and his iconic Dragon style. Every punch and flying kick he can hit you with will hurt, and he also has the ability to pick up and use objects in the environment to deal serious damage on his opponents.

Here are a few gimmicks I think could work for him.

1. Heat Mode - In his games, attacking with Kiryu fills a meter called Heat. When Kiryu is at maximum Heat, he can unleash devastating combo attacks and finishers. I see it working in Smash as a way to encourage rushdown play as well as nimble dodging. Each strike you get the opponent with will help fill your Heat meter. Each hit you take will drain it. Successful spot dishes and perfect counters will also help raise it up. Once Heat is full, you can now autocombo moves - for example a command grab now becomes a grab->heavy strike->launch. It would lead to some killer combos and aggressive play.

2. Stances - Now this is something we've been discussing in the Kiryu thread. In two games, Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, Kiryu uses more than his Dragon stance. He has the ability to switch between four different ones, each with strengths and weaknesses. First there's Dragon, but then there's also:

Brawler - A well-rounded hard-hitting style.
Rush - A fast style with rapid jabs, kicks, weaves, and combos to stagger opponents.
Beast - My favorite, a slow and heavy style that can tank hits, send opponents flying, and automatically combos into weapon attacks.

Now, some argue that being able to switch between those styles in Smash isn't super indicative of the character's iconic move pool because it's only in two games. That's something I understand, but I do think that it would be a unique mechanic for Smash that would be really fascinating to play with. That said, another way they could all be represented would be for Kiryu to glow the different stance colors when he uses a move from the move pool. He has his dragon stance most of the time but things like throws, heavy attacks, etc, would all draw from those other styles to create a character that can have both classic and modern influences.

3. Weapon combos - I don't know whether this would just be a certain special or Smash attack, but I'd love a move where he pulled out a random weapon to deck the opponent with, just like in the games. It could be like Peach's turnip or G&W's Judge, with different weapons doing different amounts of damage (and one of them is definitely the bike).

Anyway, I know he's not super likely, but if you're a Kiryu fan or like the sound of any of this is love to talk about it. The Kiryu thread is also a good place. I just wanted to get some ideas off my chest since I've recently fell in love with the character moreso than before and I can really see him working in Smash. Of course, whether they'd dare add a character or reference a series names after an organized crime gang in America is another story, but hey, it doesn't hurt to dream.
Been playing through 0 lately and I'd love to see this happen; I even have a Kiryu Brawler Mii on Ultimate right now, lol.

Honestly, a super aggressive, rushdown brawler like Kiryu would be sick, and Yakuza is packed to the brim with excellent characters, stage locations, and music to make for an extremely solid pack. Plus, a Heat mechanic sounds amazing, and would work as a reverse of Joker (get rewarded for hitting rather than being hit) and I think it would make for a super interesting character.

His stage needs to have a mechanic where he shows up as a boss, though:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While we're on the subject of leaks, what is everyone's thoughts about the League of Legends text post? I'm not talking about the legitimacy of it (because it's probably rubbish), but about how people would feel about a LoL fighter? It's inarguably one of the biggest games of all time and would be our first character from a computer game. Although, I get the feeling it wouldn't be a big hit with the crowd who are Nintendo focused fans.

I personally feel quite middling about a character being added. But I would be extremely intrigued concerning which character they would select.
While the 4chan post itself is probably fake, I think a League character is at least more likely than people give it credit for. Especially with the current Tencent collabs.

Ahri would be my most wanted for sure, but I'd be okay with practically any character. There's a lot of interesting mechanics to add to a MOBA rep's kit, really.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sekiro from Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (full disclosure: I have no idea if any character in that game is actually named Sekiro)
Some characters call the main character Sekiro, which means "one-armed wolf" on account of the fact that he has one arm, and his name is Wolf.

We have seen, repeatedly, that Miis can show up as THE representation of a series. I don't think a Mii costume leak could even be assumed to raise a flag for a character.
Granted. But when that happens, it's usually not a weird supporting character that gets the costume.

Like, if they were gonna represent Doom with Mii Costumes, why a Caco hat, instead of a Doomguy outfit for the Mii Gunner?

A Mallow hat makes more sense because Geno would likely be a costume again as well, and all the other party members are already fully playable characters.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman

"Leaks" like this are bull **** 99% of time but I always find the discussion from it to be very interesting, like the Milk-Bosatu "leak".

MOBAs are whatever but I'm completely open to having one of it's characters in Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If they did make BotW Zelda a character, what would her official name as a character even be? "Wild Zelda"?
The same name but the announcer announces her name with a higher tone like the Roys.

I looked up League of Legends Japan because the first thing on my mind is how popular is it in Japan and the first video I found was why Japan dislikes League of Legends. Basically it's because mobile games exist so I'll just say a LoL rep is unlikely just from that.

Personally I'm indifferent to a League of Legends rep.

SKX31

Smash Master

As far as the possibility of a LoL character, very much open to it and would welcome it. My personal viewpoint is influenced by my years playing / watching the genre, but a LoL character is intriguing mostly since there's a lot of possibilities inherent in the genre. Sure, a hero / champion only has 4 spells - but one reason the genre attracts so many is because the games are very open-ended despite the static map and there are lots of ways to build the character you selected.

That alone opens up possibilities on how to choose a suitable character and build a compelling Smash moveset. Yeah, the genre's not for everyone, but the potential for a really fun character is there.

I'm also in the "liklier than expected" camp (the leak doesn't matter really).

It wouldn't be a big hit amongst Nintendo fans in general no. Probably due to the sheer seperation - the strongest link between LoL and Smash right now is that a lot of eSports orgs that sponsor top level Smash players were originally LoL / Dota 2 organizations. And that's not a strong link (hell, that doesn't count depending on the view, especially ones that are not interested in eSports). A LoL character would primarily be aimed at the League crowd and regions where the game's strong (not just NA / Western EU, but also China and South Korea).

I looked up League of Legends Japan because the first thing on my mind is how popular is it in Japan and the first video I found was why Japan dislikes League of Legends. Basically it's because mobile games exist so I'll just say a LoL rep is unlikely just from that.

Personally I'm indifferent to a League of Legends rep.
Can confirm that - there is not a large casual LoL playerbase there. There is a professional LoL league in Japan (and its winner gets a World Championship spot each year), but the Japanese teams are not on the same level as the best major region teams.

It does bring up an interesting question of whether Wild Rift (abridged mobile / console LoL) will shake that up, but it's not looking that likely.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like they are going to focus primarily on representing console games and a PC game with little popularity in Japan seems unlikely.

Sure League Of Legends is popular and influential but that goes for a lot of series. We still have zero Minecraft content in Smash despite the owner of the IP being involved in the game.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
But why rename just :ultzelda: as Princess Zelda, BoTW Zelda is just as much as a princess as any other one. :nifty:
That's the best difference in names I could think of making between them. Zelda (BotW) would probably be a valid name too now that I think about it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Fighting game DLC is not like pokemon dlc. new areas and access to pokemon that some people already owned is not the same. i don't think you are paying attention to dbfz. there have been complaints about characters in dbz having the same moves and normals as characters already in the game. Due to the artstyle and grpahical style that arc system uses in dbfz making character models takes a LONG time so when they have these side characters in a moveset implementing them later is a good logistics decision.

assist trophies in ultimate vary in how many moves they have some of them (springman and a few others have a very complete moveset including tilts, jabs, smashes, and springman even has a "final smash" like animation and attack. it just seems very unlike sakurai to make a decision like that. the whole spirit thing is different because the characters ar emore referenced than implemented. in terms of AT inclusions, i think there is a reason they chose to do guile and not someone like chunli. ATs arent getting upgraded within the same game. a decision was already made about them.
Quoting your post finally, I would just like to say for the longest time I thought your Profile Pic was Gohan. only when i looked closely at your Pic did I Realize it was Jeanne with Fox Costume

And I disagree on your assessment of Assist Trophies. I think for Assist Characters, While they do take some effort to put in, I don't think it discounts them from being Playable. If anything because Assists do have Assets in the form of Models (something Spirits don't have), it makes it easier to create the character and such. Not just DBFZ, but other Fighting games (like Street Fighter) Typically re-use assets, especially later down the road for their DLC Fighters.

Plus i think every Assist added has different reasons for being added in. I think for characters like Guile, while Chun-Li is the bigger character, Guile Turtling and such was more interesting Assist to Implement. Other times it's giving really popular characters a More active Role than a PNG. Characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Shadow, Knuckles, Alucard, Krystal, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Bomberman, etc would fit into this.

There's also the fact that some Assists have been cut in the past and then downgraded to less important roles. If your assetment is the case, a character like Mr Resseti, who hasn't been an assist since Brawl, would be more likely than someone like Isaac, who actually came back in Ultimate and got upgraded moveset. I just don't agree, and with alot of requested fighters behind snowglobe, i think people be more thrilled than scammed off.

---------------------------------------------------------

For a League character, it doesn't seem the most important game in Japan, which is something to consider. However if Tencent and Nintendo are working together closely, perhaps there could be a deal made for Smash maybe so Tencent could have more of a Japan Market with League. Even if that's not the case, there are other Markets at Play like the West, Korea, and China (if Smash ever becomes available there) where i could see Nintendo Benefiting from this even if they don't have a large market in Japan

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 276591

Okay y'all I wanna talk about Kazuma Kiryu. I know he gets brought up sometimes but thanks to me playing more than one Yakuza game, the thread having some great moveset discussion, Heihachi being off the table, and my desire for a brutal rushdown character in Smash, he has shot up my most-wanted list. I even might want him more than Arle on some days if we were to get another Sega rep.

I could talk about how he has a bunch of games to his name (and while the newest one doesn't feature him as protagonist he still is in it), and how he's popular, something something legacy, but I'd rather talk about how cool he is and how neat his moves are.

Kiryu is a Yakuza/ex-Yakuza, a stoic but selfless hard-nosed tough guy who finds himself embroiled in all manner of organized crime conspiracies due to his past. His games are high drama through sophisticated (and according to actual Yakuza members, realistic) power struggles, but also high comedy and entertainment through fun side quests, entertaining and silly diversions such as mahjong or arcade games, and deep and engaging beat-em-up action. He's a kind-hearted character who throws himself wholeheartedly into all kinds of scenarios and always ends up way over his head, whether it's adopting kids, playing with slot cars, or taking down international conspiracies.

As mentioned, his main form of attack is his martial arts, with his heavy hits and his iconic Dragon style. Every punch and flying kick he can hit you with will hurt, and he also has the ability to pick up and use objects in the environment to deal serious damage on his opponents.

Here are a few gimmicks I think could work for him.

1. Heat Mode - In his games, attacking with Kiryu fills a meter called Heat. When Kiryu is at maximum Heat, he can unleash devastating combo attacks and finishers. I see it working in Smash as a way to encourage rushdown play as well as nimble dodging. Each strike you get the opponent with will help fill your Heat meter. Each hit you take will drain it. Successful spot dishes and perfect counters will also help raise it up. Once Heat is full, you can now autocombo moves - for example a command grab now becomes a grab->heavy strike->launch. It would lead to some killer combos and aggressive play.

2. Stances - Now this is something we've been discussing in the Kiryu thread. In two games, Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami, Kiryu uses more than his Dragon stance. He has the ability to switch between four different ones, each with strengths and weaknesses. First there's Dragon, but then there's also:

Brawler - A well-rounded hard-hitting style.
Rush - A fast style with rapid jabs, kicks, weaves, and combos to stagger opponents.
Beast - My favorite, a slow and heavy style that can tank hits, send opponents flying, and automatically combos into weapon attacks.

Now, some argue that being able to switch between those styles in Smash isn't super indicative of the character's iconic move pool because it's only in two games. That's something I understand, but I do think that it would be a unique mechanic for Smash that would be really fascinating to play with. That said, another way they could all be represented would be for Kiryu to glow the different stance colors when he uses a move from the move pool. He has his dragon stance most of the time but things like throws, heavy attacks, etc, would all draw from those other styles to create a character that can have both classic and modern influences.

3. Weapon combos - I don't know whether this would just be a certain special or Smash attack, but I'd love a move where he pulled out a random weapon to deck the opponent with, just like in the games. It could be like Peach's turnip or G&W's Judge, with different weapons doing different amounts of damage (and one of them is definitely the bike).

Anyway, I know he's not super likely, but if you're a Kiryu fan or like the sound of any of this is love to talk about it. The Kiryu thread is also a good place. I just wanted to get some ideas off my chest since I've recently fell in love with the character moreso than before and I can really see him working in Smash. Of course, whether they'd dare add a character or reference a series names after an organized crime gang in America is another story, but hey, it doesn't hurt to dream.
Oh hey, it's the guy who slammed a desk and left. I hear he can do cool things like punching tigers to death with his fists. I think he sounds pretty rad, if you know what I mean.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's the best difference in names I could think of making between them. Zelda (BotW) would probably be a valid name too now that I think about it.
There isn't much of an issue calling them both Zelda if we have two Roys, and hypothetically two Ryus in the future.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Oh hey, it's the guy who slammed a desk and left. I hear he can do cool things like punching tigers to death with his fists. I think he sounds pretty rad, if you know what I mean.
I think Yakuza is a pretty cool guy. Eh slams desks and doesnt afraid of anything.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There isn't much of an issue calling them both Zelda if we have two Roys, and hypothetically two Ryus in the future.
The Roys are distinguished by calling Bowser Jr. Roy, Roy Koopa.

There needs to be some difference.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A LoL character seems highly possible. With a leak that got one of the hardest things to guess right, it's already got a good start. Of course, people get tons of real information and just make a leak with that and tons of other fake information anyway.

Considering Vault Boy is meant to be "Premium", that also means that Hollow Knight coming with a very specific song isn't a point in the leak's favor regardless. It's clear being an Indie or having a song doesn't matter anyway.

...Not that being an Indie was even much of a point to Premium. A song was more notable at that point, but obviously that doesn't matter either. It's just "head to toe" at best. This also makes me think they guessed everything but the Spirits. So I'm not thinking the leak is that strong right now. Certainly one of the more likely leaks, by far.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Can confirm that - there is not a large casual LoL playerbase there. There is a professional LoL league in Japan (and its winner gets a World Championship spot each year), but the Japanese teams are not on the same level as the best major region teams.

It does bring up an interesting question of whether Wild Rift (abridged mobile / console LoL) will shake that up, but it's not looking that likely.
So that means a League of Legends rep will be the first third party character to alienate the Japanese audience.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Is there a leak with a LoL character mentioned out there? Does somebody have a link or a picture or something like that?

andree123

Smash Ace
Imagine if min min's fighter codename was called "spirit1".
This rises a rumor that min min isn't the only spirit to become a fighter in the fp2.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
remember the leak that predicted richter belmont and had gardevoir with a gothitelle echo fighter

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still disagree about there being no logic used behind some stuff, but whatever. I know some stuff appears farfetched, but that doesn’t mean everyone has to think the same, and even within the Geno thread (since y’all see it as “nope”) there are things people strongly doubt regarding certain theories and stuff, or entertain but don’t outright believe...and there’s stuff in there that I believe has at least a decent logical founding, and is mostly fun to talk about instead of having to worry about people laughing at you and others...while still keeping a level head and not seriously believing everything as 100% going to happen for-sure. It’s not black and white. You don’t have to assume others are going to start a riot as soon as they’re wrong. Anyone doing that is a minority of people raging.

I know some stuff doesn’t line up and doesn’t work, and I agree. I guess I’ll go ahead and deem Cacomallow as fake even before FP7 gets here even though I still have the feeling it at least has a bit of plausibility left. The hats would be cool, but it’s useless as potential evidence for anything anyway.

I’ll end it there, though. I don’t really want to continue this discussion, and anything else I’d try to say in defense of others and in hopes things could be civil and fair regarding certain groups would just tick people off...

However, if y’all only now started to think I was delusional, then you really should have already, considering I’ve been part of the Geno thread for nearly two years now and also considering what I’ve said about it/in defense of it and its individuals in the recent and not-so-recent past...

Fighting game DLC is not like pokemon dlc. new areas and access to pokemon that some people already owned is not the same. i don't think you are paying attention to dbfz. there have been complaints about characters in dbz having the same moves and normals as characters already in the game. Due to the artstyle and grpahical style that arc system uses in dbfz making character models takes a LONG time so when they have these side characters in a moveset implementing them later is a good logistics decision.

assist trophies in ultimate vary in how many moves they have some of them (springman and a few others have a very complete moveset including tilts, jabs, smashes, and springman even has a "final smash" like animation and attack. it just seems very unlike sakurai to make a decision like that. the whole spirit thing is different because the characters ar emore referenced than implemented. in terms of AT inclusions, i think there is a reason they chose to do guile and not someone like chunli. ATs arent getting upgraded within the same game. a decision was already made about them.
I still disagree, but alright.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Roys are distinguished by calling Bowser Jr. Roy, Roy Koopa.

There needs to be some difference.
With the Spirits? That's pretty easy to overcome, considering she's already one.

1593380909032.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
remember the leak that predicted richter belmont and had gardevoir with a gothitelle echo fighter
PLEASE NO LET'S NOT BRING THAT UP AGAIN

it had so many flaws in the logic (like saying Richter but no Simon, for starters)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, if others are doing it, I guess I'll make some more codenames.
Queen
Glass
Lightning
Breeze
Ronin
Been long enough, think I can reveal these now.
Queen was a reference within a reference. It refers to Sol Badguy, who is canonically a big fan of the band Queen. As such, this was probably the biggest reach in here.
Glass references Miriam, who has a stained glass motif going on as a result of the Shardbinder ritual that's slowly turning her body to crystal.
Lightning is Raiden, who occasionally displays electric powers, uses a lightning-based naming theme for some of his attacks, and has been called Mr. Lightning Bolt.
Breeze is Klonoa, who is associated with the wind and hails from the region of Breezegale except not really.
Ronin is Haohmaru. While he's usually referred to as a samurai, he doesn't seem to have a master, and so he fits the definition of a ronin.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So that means a League of Legends rep will be the first third party character to alienate the Japanese audience.
Maybe. If they truly don't like it at all, then it would be the first time

however, if Japan is mostly indifferent to it then it wouldn't be the First Time. Sonic from what i hear isn't nowhere as big of a series in Japan as it is in the West and other regions. That's just what I've heard though, I don't know

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I did say she could just be called Zelda, I only suggested Princess Zelda as an alternative.
:ultroy::ultroy2:

Sure the latter is an costume but still counts as something
That didn't rename either of them, though. Both Roys were still called Roy when Roy got in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom