• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Since this is lasting until December 31st 2021, I wonder if there is a chance that one of the last two will be a first party character from an unannounced 2020 game?

Watch it be Sigurd from that Genealogy of the Holy War remake that pretty much everyone Fire Emblem fan wants.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, we still probably wouldn't know for certain. Even if Ryu shows up, it doesn't necessarily mean that leak is real.

What're your thoughts on 2B?

And Phoenix and Dante? But neither of those two are a very good girl yes you are
Mostly just a gut feeling with 2B. Reminds me a lot of Joker and Byleth, being from recent, popular games in long running series that Sakurai likes. Add into that that she's no stranger to crossovers (showing that there are likely fewer hoops to jump through than for Cloud or Hero), and I think she has a pretty good shot. Mostly conjecture though (shocking for a speculation thread lol).

If I had to take a stab on what my gut is saying...

2B
Ryu Hayabusa
Phoenix Wright (either him or Dante, but I'd totally be okay with Ammy...or Arthur)
Crash Bandicoot
Heihachi
Travis Touchdown

I.D.

Smash Lord
Since this is lasting until December 31st 2021, I wonder if there is a chance that one of the last two will be a first party character from an unannounced 2020 game?
That depends on whether a new Fire Emblem game is announced or not.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Watch it be Sigurd from that Genealogy of the Holy War remake that pretty much everyone Fire Emblem fan wants.
Probably. If it comes out by early 2021, BotW 2 should be on the table if Byleth could get in despite the pass being finalized several months before 3H released.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The only "bad" thing I find about the new DLC is that we will have to wait longer between each character.
Also, I don't think we will have more characters beyond fighter pass 2 even if it's only for the slow pace of the next DLCs.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well at least FE is out of the way now.

Suppose 1st party characters are back on the table now.
Suppose Spirits still deconfirm, worst case scenario.

What do we got left for speculation?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

A lot of the more speculated third parties like Dante, Travis, Laura Craft, Sora Steve, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Crash etc.
Pokemon from Sword and Shield that aint a Spirit.
Character from an unannounced an first party game set for 2020.
These are still on the table in my eyes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mostly just a gut feeling with 2B. Reminds me a lot of Joker and Byleth, being from recent, popular games in long running series that Sakurai likes. Add into that that she's no stranger to crossovers (showing that there are likely fewer hoops to jump through than for Cloud or Hero), and I think she has a pretty good shot. Mostly conjecture though (shocking for a speculation thread lol).

If I had to take a stab on what my gut is saying...

2B
Ryu Hayabusa
Phoenix Wright (either him or Dante, but I'd totally be okay with Ammy...or Arthur)
Crash Bandicoot
Heihachi
Travis Touchdown
I agree she makes sense, but being sure of something is just a bold claim. At least for those who don't apply the phrase to a new character every week. :laugh:

I sure hope you're right. There aren't many characters left I've a vested interest in, but she's one. As is Travis. But I can't say I trust being on the same page as the anti-N3ON. =_=

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm surprised there is no Rayman costume.
This would be pretty rad.

A lot of the more speculated third parties like Dante, Travis, Laura Craft, Sora Steve, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Crash etc.
Pokemon from Sword and Shield that aint a Spirit.
Character from an unannounced an first party game set for 2020.
These are still on the table in my eyes.
Oh! I forgot that Vergeben's list has now been reset, since I bet his deconfirmed list was right after all?

Roy and Corrin
*HISSSSSSSSS*

D

Deleted member

Did Verge's latest kill list have Fire Emblem or Nintendo on it? Not the one he later backtracked on, but the one he finalized.

D

Deleted member

I seemed to have missed the news when it first came out, but I just now learned that Fire Emblem: Three Houses is getting DLC that adds a 4th house. There's a chance that, just like with Corrin, Byleth was added to draw attention back to the game for this Expansion (and for those who never played it the first time). Byleth doesn't come out until the 28th and this Expansion isn't ready until the 13th of February; that's pretty close and I can definitely see this as a marketing strategy.

I know some people will go 'well that's obvious' but I mean, it isn't always to promote something. Sometimes its genuinely just to add a character from a game that was well-received (Like in the case of Joker, Terry, and Banjo). The timing of this though, so close to when an expansion will release, and at the end of a pass that was made up of all 3rd party characters at the time, means it was probably intentional and not just because they wanted to add him.

That being said, we've got 2 different Expansion Regions that are supposed to add a lot for Pokemon Sword & Shield coming. One over the Summer and another in the Fall. I'd be willing to bet that one of six remaining characters will definitely be another Pokemon; this time from Sword & Shield.

The Fire Emblem DLC adds another house and a bunch of new characters, but our character is Byleth. That means that if a Pokemon Sword/Shield character is added, it doesn't have to be a new pokemon or anything; it could very well be another starter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Quick reminder that the time it'll take for this pass to finish is literally 23 months and unlike the first one you didn't have the game being new to wait. You sure you're down for that?
I've gotten more patient now and also starting to be a better person especially since there's more to life then just games and Smash.

I've also been finding other things to do in life to occupy my time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Did Verge's latest kill list have Fire Emblem or Nintendo on it? Not the one he later backtracked on, but the one he finalized.
I don't think it did. IIRC Sabi said it wasn't Nintendo though, so lol.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
regarding 2B... let's say that Sakurai met with nier automata developers during a particular critical timeframe when season pass 2 was being decided... i knew that she wasn't fp5... but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if she ends somewhere in season pass 2.

BTW, what do you guys thinkregarding post season pass 2 DLC? while certainly it can always change, i got the feeling that sakurai tried to imply that there wouldn't be more developmnet post pass 2.
Do we know when pass 2 was being decided?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Imagine, E3 2020. The first fighter pass 2 character is revealed.

It's Tifa to promote the FF7 remake using her redesign
Her stage is Nibelheim and her music? Let the battle begin and fight on, the remake version.

And there's no spirit board

Another two years of Smash speculation? God damn I'm down for that! :D
It's gonna be really emotional once we make it to the end of this wild ride.

Attachments

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

If that were to happen, part of this is that, since he selected the characters already, the game probably must already be finished enough for him to have been able to play and beat it already, like he did with 3 Houses.

D

Deleted member

Her stage is Nibelheim and her music? Let the battle begin and fight on, the remake version.

They're not going to promote something that isn't possible on the Switch. If Tifa or Sephiroth or someone from the remake were to get in, it would be because Sakurai likes the game; not because they're promoting it or because it's coming to switch.

Not to crap on the switch or anything, but its pretty common knowledge its not as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox; it's not going to have a game that practically pushes the PS4 to its limit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Nintendo would get in trouble as I believe the Japanese site advertises spirits bundled with the challenger packs once again

SKX31

Smash Master

I have a couple of frontrunners:

As far as first parties go, I'm thinking one of non-spirited Sw / Sh, Ring Fit or perhaps a BOTW2 / MP4 character like Sylux. The fact that the first two DLC characters from Nintendo's side are Corrin and Byleth makes me believe that Nintendo and Sakurai are picking in-house characters with promotion partly in mind. Sakurai said so after Corrin:

After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
Third party-wise, I'm thinking these seem to be amongst the frontrunners:

Hayabusa
A Chinese favorite (Smash is not yet officially released there). I'm leaning towards a character somehow connected to Tencent like :ult_terry: indirectly is. Still, that list is broad.
Steve / Master Chief
Another smaller representative. Such as Story of Seasons / Travis Touchdown.
Capcom / Bamco, or both.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Among my predictions for season 2 are Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa and Travis Touchdown.

Crash I could see as the E3 reveal.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, looking back at all the Fire Emblem characters, it's insane how Marth's the only one who didn't get hella lucky. Roy was a quick clone who just so happened to have a game coming out, Ike just so happened to be a heavy with a sword, which Sakurai wanted, Robin was almost dismissed for being too old, Lucina was planned as merely an alt, Corrin just so happened to have a game come out and an upcoming game at the same time and Sakurai wanted a promotional pick, Chrom had assets made already and had Roy's rework to thank for his inclusion and Byleth got in when Rex couldn't due to 3H getting delayed for 2 years. It's ****ing hilarious to me

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the poor reception to this character getting in... what do people think about the moveset?
Looks very generic to me

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Gonna lay down a few predictions: since we still have a few Square, Capcom and Namco Mii Costumes missing, I think half of season 2 will come from these three companies and the rest will be from new ones.

I'm betting on 2B, Dante and Heihachi, respectively.

Damn, now people are getting her last name wrong too...
I propose a game. Every single time someone says 'Larua Caroft's' name from now on, you have to spell it wrong in a different manner, without repeating.

BZocky

Smash Ace
It's very surreal to me that the original Fighters Pass reveals came to an end today. Over a year of speculation, friendships, heartbreak later and at last all 5 of those coveted invitations have been nabbed.
And now we're right back where we started, with a whole new set + 1 of potential newcomers staring us right in the face with limitless possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom