• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Predicting the final six will be Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Geno, Crash Bandicoot, Dante, and Sora.

Could get a Nintendo character in there, but idk. I wonder how right or wrong my prediction will be.
Honestly this would be an awesome pass. Out of all the ones there, I hope Dante is the one that actually ends up in the pass the most.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, time to just say a real unpopular opinion: salt jokes have been abused to such point that they don't demonstrate anything other than the little originality one can have to gather attention on the internet.

If I wanted to be superior to people angry over a video game, I'd just try to be a nice person.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know, I just feel like people who like characters like Rayman, Banjo, Crash, etc are considered "lesser", closed minded, and bigoted around here while the Persona, Modern FE, Platinum, etc fans are considered infallible. Especially since a lot of the well respected members around here tend to fall into the latter catagory.

And I agree, laughing at the salt mines or posting "Hoes Mad" is not something that anyone should be doing.
When did anyone do that for Rayman and Crash? For Rayman I kinda sorta get due to him being a spirit and having been a trophy meaning people wouldn't think he's likely, especially after our 2 Ubisoft costumes today but Crash? Crash was legit huge back in the day and proved he still has millions of fans with the remake

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Lookin back, I can’t get over the fact how many people here said “Well, even though whoever FP5 will most likely be not for me, there are still more characters, and I got my Banjo and ________, so I can’t complain! Thank you so much for your hard work Mr. Sakuria! It’s been a journey, etc.”

To

Well you know...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lookin back, I can’t get over the fact how many people here said “Well, even though whoever FP5 will most likely be not for me, there are still more characters, and I got my Banjo and ________, so I can’t complain! Thank you so much for your hard work Mr. Sakuria! It’s been a journey, etc.”

To

Well you know...
FE stays living rent free.

D

Deleted member

I know, I just feel like people who like characters like Rayman, Banjo, Crash, etc are considered "lesser", closed minded, and bigoted around here while the Persona, Modern FE, Platinum, etc fans are considered infallible. Especially since a lot of the well respected members around here tend to fall into the latter catagory.

And I agree, laughing at the salt mines or posting "Hoes Mad" is not something that anyone should be doing.
From what I've observed, a lot of what you mentioned usually starts with coming at the cost of another character. Like "I'd rather have Rayman than Joker," kind of comments. It's not wrong to feel that, coming from a personal PPlant detractor, but again it doesn't lead to good conversation and derails what's probably a conversation where people are happy Joker is in.

It comes down to communication honestly. If you want "obscure" characters on Smash Bros speculation, check out KatKit KatKit writing essays over Carmen Sandiego and Gravity Rush and having those posts received unanimously--despite them rarely coming up in speculation otherwise. They're undivisive because she ain't going out of her way to detract another character. She just wants to boost the games she enjoys and is happy people follow without comparing them to others. Good ****. Can't wait for your next post Kat.

Rip Gravity Rush

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

To

Well you know...
What can I say, some people take what they already have for granted. No matter what, the base roster itself is already pretty close to perfection as far as I'm concerned.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

To

Well you know...
It's funny how I didn't really care for any of the DLC characters, Banjo included, and I'm more optimistic than the people who swore they would never ask Sakurai for anything else if Banjo got added.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I am still full on banking on Spirits deconfirming for the second pass.

Imo, don’t expect Geno, Gen 8 Pokemon, Shantae, Rex, ect.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Byleth is my least favorite of the four main Three Houses characters and this is still my favorite challenger pack. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

To

Well you know...
Just as many people were saying the sixth DLC character was gonna suck because of Mr. Game & Watch, Olimar, Shulk, and Ken/Incineroar.
EDIT: And I hate that they were right because we're gonna have to deal with that pessimism for the twelfth one as well.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
>Byleth's first alt color is Dimitri
>Byleth's first stage transition is Dimitri
>Byleth's first weapon shown off is Dimitri's
>Byleth uses Dimitri's spear for 4 attacks as opposed to Edelgard's 3 and Claude's 2.
>Byleth shows up on the banner gently caressing Dimitri's spear.

DIMITRI WIN.
If I remeber right, Dimitri is the most popular in JP

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
INB4 all the rage at Byleth convinces Nintendo to abandon first party DLC completely because it makes the "fans" too angry and they don't want it. Would be a sort of ultimate irony to this whole thing.
1. That happening with Corrin (and Pirahna Plant?) didn't stop Byleth.
2. All the 6 DLC for Season 2 was already decided by the time Byleth was announced.

Also, is Geno up **** creek or what?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now we know why the leakers were so cagey.
Nobody wanted to be THAT GUY who said it was a Fire Emblem character.

Well I had no real investment in character pack 5, knowing most of my wanteds are really difficult or already in the game.
And Horray for Cuphead! Maybe we'll get a Hollow Knight Mii Swordfighter next.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
When did anyone do that for Rayman and Crash? For Rayman I kinda sorta get due to him being a spirit and having been a trophy meaning people wouldn't think he's likely, especially after our 2 Ubisoft costumes today but Crash? Crash was legit huge back in the day and proved he still has millions of fans with the remake
"Cereal mascot" as a derogatory term wasn't born out of nowhere. And honestly after all your Banjo hate one would think you'd know about it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Smash fans: Complain about FE reps being full of swords and down-B counters
Also Smash fans: Ignore the new FE rep having multiple weapons and a distinct down-B

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash fans who are also Fire Emblem fans: Complain about FE reps being full of swords and down-B counters
Smash fans who hate the amount of Fire Emblem characters: Ignore the new FE rep having multiple weapons and a distinct down-B
Fixed for maximum accuracy. The people making those complaints aren't the same ones.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mojang already said no to Steve being in Smash, if we get another Microsoft rep it will most likely be Master Chief
Don't spread misinformation. No one at Mojang said no to Steve being in; there was one community manager, Aubrey, who didn't like the idea and implied he wasn't in, but that was back early last year before Season 2 was decided on. Other Mojang members have said they like the idea/want him in, members whom are in a position where they likely wouldn't know. I doubt Jens, Agnes, Phil Spencer and whoever are going to say no if Nintendo wants Steve and anything else Minecraft in Smash. Steve is one of the main faces of their game and they use him a lot in merchandise, artwork on Instagram, and refer to him by name in tweets that they use him in and some videos on Youtube/every other time they talk about him in whatever they use him for; Alex as well.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Geno is kinda hard to gauge right now. His costume is still missing despite being easy to port over like other Smash 4 costumes, but it's possible it was just cut altogether for unexplainable reasons. Then there's the fact that Byleth would've been our last character, so he would've missed out on Ultimate if today was the end of new content.

We'll see. He still has a chance, but how big that chance is will be up for debate.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Cereal mascot" as a derogatory term wasn't born out of nowhere. And honestly after all your Banjo hate one would think you'd know about it.
I only ever gave Banjo **** as at worst I have fond memories of Rayman and Crash who have different aesthetics as seen with the characters often being treated as more wacky and zany than your typical Mario 64 clone that plagued the early 2000's. Rayman and Crash both came back to prove they're still worth their salt and while Rayman has been in a hiatus for quite a while, they both got multiple games since the last time Banjo got a new game. My issues with Banjo flatout don't exist for the two

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I still can’t believe people thought KOS-MOS would get in over Lloyd or Heihachi for FP5.

If Geno, one of the most requested characters in Smash history, got shafted in favor of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, why would it be any different for KOS-MOS?

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Hoo boy. I for sure wasn't expecting Byleth of all things.
I mean, I relatively expected Byleth BUT for after this fighter pass. That trailer was super troll and I love it. The character looks pretty cool, and the stage and the music are sick. The only bad thing for me is that Byleth isn't available yet.

If you ask me, at this point I prefer new franchises to being added but hey, Three Houses was a great game.
As for the complains: people can be disappointed, of course, but no one neither Sakurai or Nintendo owes you your favorite character. I would keep that in mind not only for this situation but for the next characters.

About the next DLC. 6 characters is a good amount of newcomers, the only thing that "scares" is that they didn't mention anything about them coming with new stages, so I'm guessing we will get at least 2-3 first party characters?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We're missing Geno, Chocobo, the two Monster Hunter costumes and the three Namco characters. Maybe they'll come later, maybe they're as gone as kitty ears. RIP Kitty Ears. Now my Cat Girl OCs have to share Nia's hair cut.

D

Deleted member

tbh I know some people may be disappointed by Byleth being the FP1 finisher and I would be as well if this is the end of DLC as a whole but you gotta think about it this way even if this is the end of FP1 there's six more characters. That's as much DLC as we have right now so instead of complaining and crying about this look at it in the way that this is the middle of DLC and not the end. If you look at it that way it's a lot more understandable plus FE:TH is a great game and definitely worth checking out.

Also in the end this definitely does more good than bad at least in my opinion as this proves First Parties are possible, maybe not as often or as frequent as third parties but possible. Just chill and wait to see what else comes afterwards we're here until 2021 after all. Just relax and vibe it's gonna be alright.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai putting in Capcom mii costumes alongside non-Capcom characters makes me cautiously optimistic for a Capcom character in the next DLC pack, Is it possible we get 4 brand new mii costumes plus Cuphead/Sans like costume?

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I can buy that there was a re-ordering of characters. It's not like work done on them gets scrapped, just put on hold while priority shifts to a character that will get released sooner.
I buy it too. Ryu from Ninja Gaiden completes the theme of FP1 being all guest characters. However, we won't know for certain until way later this year.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Since we can now have characters from series already in smash I'm going to write a wishlist for Fighter pass 2 with this in mind:
1: Sora, my most wanted
2: Grovyle, To have some kind of Pokemon spin off representation
3: Reiji, a Character similar to Pacman in smash due to being the protagonist of a Namco crossover series this making it easy for him to encompass more recent Namco IP's like how Pacman encompasses retro IP's, plus an out there pick.
4: Layton, my other most wanted
5: Mighty, Because Sonic mania made him relevant again and it's an easy non echo/clone due to sharing similar body structure to Sonic and frankly it would be funny to have him in because nobody expects it. On top of all of this I just want more Sonic content in the game, i feel like the series is underutilized
6: Rex, let the boy be in already.
2. I think those who think Pokemon doesn't even have a chance for another rep in Ultimate might be surprised later on. If FE can get another rep, who's characters tend to not be as unique from each other, then so can Pokemon.
5. I'd love Mighty as a Sonic rep! I've always wanted Knuckles but I've had similar thoughts about Mighty since Sonic Mania. I have a hard time seeing the character in this fighters pass though. Might be more likely for a echoes pass of sorts down the line possibly.

D

Deleted member

Funny thing, Byleth is now the newest character in Smash. Seems Nintendo likes to have the newest character in the roster along the oldest.

Right now it seems we should expect the same type of content with pass 2, so I expect that we get new franchises alongside content from newer entries if first party.

Regarding Mii costumes, we are missing still a few right now so I would hardly say their absence means something atm.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I want to like this twice lol. At times things have sometimes gotten so lopsided on this site that I've had to argue in favor of a point of view that I don't even agree with, but that I can at least see the logic behind. It's not so much related to today mind you, I can totally understand why people who are hype for Byleth would get defensive given the overall reaction, it's just more of a general observation.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That being said, I absolutely think two of the last six are 2B and one of Phoenix or Dante.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Can't wait to see all the "Vergeben and Sabi are FAKE!!!!!!!" people to come up with new excuses or walk back on their statements now.
Well, it's hard to be proven fake when you NEVER ACTUALLY LEAK A CHARACTER.

Seriously, if they knew who it was, why didn't they say? Even at the very last minute?

Because they didn't know ****!

True. But being overtly hostile towards people who are just enjoying the game and the character they want. Know what I'm saying? It goes both ways.
Hating an announcement ≠ hating people that like said announcement.

Being pissed about Byleth is not an attack of Byleth fans.

Better Byleth as Challenger 5 than Challenger 11 imo
Honestly, yeah.

Apparently, someone posted this in the Geno thread:
Check this out

Basicly quick translation is this
FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2

Basicly the claim here is byleth and Ryu hayabusa switched places for reveals
I can actually totally believe this, because the idea that they originally planned to do the Corrin thing again is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom