• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New "Tafo Talks" Addresses State of Project M

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
2015 and people are still comparing PM to Smash 4...
It's pretty clear that you are simply another ignorant Smash 4 kid so I will try to explain everything slowly and clear ok buddy?

Like you said PM was created to be "Melee 2.0" which means that is has pretty much the same concept however, PM brings a lot of intersting new things to the table like new stages (Pokemon Stadium 3, Green Hill Zone) and creative characters like Pit, Mewtwo and Meta Knight. Of course, you may or not like it but comparing it to Smash 4 is a pretty dumb move: both of them have different physics, mechanics and characters (funamentally speaking). Just because it has better graphics and more content doesn't mean it's a superior game. I strongly encourage you to get to know the entire smash scene before making such ignorant and dumb claims. This is comming for an ex PM player and current Smash 4 one.
Project M sort of exists on its own. It cant be consisred its own game. Like you said is Melee2.0 so maybe it should just replace melee than.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Project M sort of exists on its own. It cant be considered its own game. Like you said it'ss Melee2.0 so maybe it should just replace melee then.
If only that wouldn't cause such an outcry within the community.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Project M sort of exists on its own. It cant be consisred its own game. Like you said is Melee2.0 so maybe it should just replace melee than.
Why can't it be considered it's own game? Because it wasn't made by Nintendo? Project M, while a mod, became more than that and therefore it's considered like it's own game by he majority (and actually informed) of the community.

Going into your second sentence of "replace Melee than" well, I don't know if you actually watched the video or simply came here to share your ignorant thoughts but Tafo effectively states that Tos can't really make money off PM and thus it can't really replace Melee. Aditionally, not every melee player likes Project M and some changes really change the way that a character players (Gannon, Ice Climber mains I'm looking at you).

Last edited:

JagoTheTiger

Smash Apprentice
Why can't it be considered it's own game? Because it wasn't made by Nintendo? Project M, while a mod, became more than that and because if that it's considered like it's own game by he majority (and actually informed) of the community.

Going into your second sentence of "replace Melee than" well, I don't know if you actually watched the video or simply came here to share your ignorant thoughts but Tafo effectively states that Tos can't really make money off PM and thus it can't really replace Melee. Aditionally, not every melee player likes Project M and some changes really change the way that a character players (Gannon, Ice Climber mains I'm looking at you).
Yoshi, and falco too

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
All these people debating and arguing, and I'm just sitting here enjoying the game that I like to play (project m). It seems like these comment sections are becoming a war zone...

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Project M, while a mod, became more than that and because if that it's considered like it's own game by he majority (and actually informed) of the community.
A mod, regardless of what it does later in its life, will always be a mod, and nothing can change that. And what community? Super Smash Bros'. entire collective community across the whole world, or is it the community you perceive to be the community (likely the so-called "competitive pro players")? Either way, I want hard facts and statistics before I accept that as truth.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I enjoyed P:M for what it was worth and would rather celebrate what it achieved than cry it into an early grave.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
I enjoyed P:M for what it was worth and would rather celebrate what it achieved than cry it into an early grave.
Good for you:). Now if most other people were like this about the other games instead of being raging d*cks.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Honestly the biggest problem in PM's way isn't Nintendo. Its our community itself. If we actually would come together and fight for any smash game nintendo trys to mess with then they would have to back down like they did for EVO 2013. The problem is that melee players don't have to worry about their game anymore since they already won their battle, and sm4sh fans don't have anything to worry about for obvious reasons.

The simple fact is that besides PM players, no one else gives a flying **** about PM and couldn't care less if it died.

#oneunit Isn't ever gonna ****ing happen. Many Smash 4 players hate pm and melee for their 'glitches' , and many melee/PM players see sm4sh as a dumbed down version of the game(my personal opinion #honesty). Smash64 players are forgotten, And brawl is looked down on by pretty much everyone. Yes I know there are exceptions but the majority of each respective community has these attitudes.

Just be honest people. If you don't give a **** about PM, just say it. No ones asking you to pretend like you do.
Yeah, that's about right. I'd even add to it:

Many (I'd go as far as to say most) non-PM players want to see it die. Nobody has forgotten how the Melee community gleefully used it to finish off Brawl (and for the same reasons, I expect we'll be having this same conversation about Melee before the gen is out). It's sad how the Brawl community had the rug pulled out from under them after graciously and stupidly reviving the Melee scene. Now the tables have turned, and it's time for the people who killed Brawl and tried to kill Smash4 to take their turn on the chopping block. Funny how they only care about oneunit when it's their game being wiped out. The Melee/PM community deserves this for backstabbing the same people who helped them get to where they are today.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's about right. I'd even add to it:

Many (I'd go as far as to say most) non-PM players want to see it die. Nobody has forgotten how the Melee community gleefully used it to finish off Brawl (and for the same reasons, I expect we'll be having this same conversation about Melee before the gen is out). It's sad how the Brawl community had the rug pulled out from under them after graciously and stupidly reviving the Melee scene. Now the tables have turned, and it's time for the people who killed Brawl and tried to kill Smash4 to take their turn on the chopping block. Funny how they only care about oneunit when it's their game being wiped out. The Melee/PM community deserves this for backstabbing the same people who helped them get to where they are today.
So you're saying that the making of PM killed Brawl? If so, wasn't it the Brawl players who moved to PM? Wouldn't that be Brawl players killing Brawl?

Just a thought.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
So you're saying that the making of PM killed Brawl? If so, wasn't it the Brawl players who moved to PM? Wouldn't that be Brawl players killing Brawl?

Just a thought.
What, were you not there or something? It wasn't that long ago. Don't twist my words; it makes you look like an idiot.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092

Just a thought.
I thought that those were Melee fans who hated everything about Brawl's gameplay.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
:sick: Da salt is as real as it gets! :sick:
I get that it's fun being the one saying that others are salty, I really do, but that still doesn't make it ok. Please respect other people's games/communities and opinions.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
With the C-Stick set to tilts, yes.

And it's useful because it doesn't require awkwardly pressing another button.
okay so I can set the c stick to tilts, but then will it smash when I'm on the ground..? or is this whole holding the c-stick to charge only doable if one sacrifices aerial mobility?

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
What, were you not there or something? It wasn't that long ago. Don't twist my words; it makes you look like an idiot.
Actually Brawl players killed Brawl indeed, not by moving to PM but by moving to Smash 4. Thing is, most Brawl players are the ones who either hate Melee or like the new flashy Nintendo's sutff. That's why almost every top Brawl player moved to the new game which will eventually die when Smash 5 comes out (it that ever happens). I don't hate Brawl in any way, in fact from time to time I watch a match or two but you are seriously making sound that the Melee/PM community are the bad guys here when Brawl pretty much moved on and killed itself.

A mod, regardless of what it does later in its life, will always be a mod, and nothing can change that. And what community? Super Smash Bros'. entire collective community across the whole world, or is it the community you perceive to be the community (likely the so-called "competitive pro players")? Either way, I want hard facts and statistics before I accept that as truth.
  • Apex's 2014 had more PM entrants than Brawl entrants
  • Bog House 4 had more than 300 entrants
  • There is an actual PM subforum in this exact site, I suggest you visiting it to learn how popular PM is (:

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
If that is the case, then why did Brawl die?
There happened to be too many anti-Brawl Melee fans who jumped ship and not enough devoted Brawl fans there to keep its tournament scene alive. The backlash from the "competitive" community also helped kill it.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Apex's 2014 had more PM entrants than Brawl entrants
  • Bog House 4 had more than 300 entrants
  • There is an actual PM subforum in this exact site, I suggest you visiting it to learn how popular PM is (:
You dodged the question instead of directly answering it. Figures. And I don't need to visit the sub-forum to know how popular it is, and I know that it is also a community divider at the same time. I'm out of here.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I prefer Smash 4 but Project M is kinda wild too.

I prefer Project M than Melee because there more character to use, like that guy use Ike and beat Mew2King like nothing with just Ike.
There even more variety than even compared to smash 4. That how balance is it.

But my love still for Smash 4 though.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Nintendo is desprate for sales to a point were they go "support" tournaments so they can be sure p:m is never there (and not sound like the bad guys) so they get people to look at brawl -2.0 and hopes the p:m community would drop it for brawl -2.0.

I say brawl -2.0 cause smash4 is just a downgrade of brawl.
Its a conspiracy!!!!!
Yaa, not even close. Brawl was good, great ya; but if think that the techs plus the random tripping makes it a better game then Smash 4 then I think you're mistaken.

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
hot DAMN this inspied more discusion than i realized. what started as i nice positive look evetually ended in a flame war , with people saying everything about pm exept the ACTUAL game . i said this before , but if the only thing keeping pm back is the fact that its a mod , what does that say about the game itself? that tells ME that the game itself is at least decents and will continue in spite of recent tournament droppings . its very interesting to see people say itsa a mod and not discuss the actual game itself

Last edited:

JustDan

Smash Cadet
NNID
JustDan10
3DS FC
0962-9892-9891
It's a good effort, but it only deserves to be mentioned alongside the other mods, not the official releases. Let's be real: its popularity is blown way out of proportion, and the only reason it got any traction in the first place was because Melee players wanted a new Melee, and this is the closest they'll ever get. For everyone else, it was a curiosity at most. You can site tournament numbers until you're blue in the face, but the fact is that Smash4 is the most popular Smash right now, and it likely will be for the foreseeable future. The streams and tournament organizers want to grow, and they realize that Smash4 is a far better horse to back both in the short term and the long term. It's that simple.
Melee is currently the most popular smash

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You love your game, correct?

If that is the case, when did your love of your game give you the right to hate on other's love of their games? If the tables were turned and your game was the mod, how would you like people hating on the fact that your game is "lesser" than others simply because it was not made by Nintendo? Just a little something to think about.

Now, you could either give some serious thought to this post, or you could say something like "Doesn't matter. My game was made by Nintendo and yours wasn't. GG, loser." Your choice.
Thanks for saving me the time.

Except it's just a hack of a real game ^^

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool one, just doesn't belong with the real games in actual tournaments.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
Thanks for saving me the time.

Except it's just a hack of a real game ^^

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool one, just doesn't belong with the real games in actual tournaments.
you dont know what a hack is, do you

its a mod. so was dota, counterstrike, and team fortress. they still had huge competitive communities even tho they "were not le real game xd"

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
you dont know what a hack is, do you

its a mod. so was dota, counterstrike, and team fortress. they still had huge competitive communities even tho they "were not le real game xd"
Yeah not a fan of those either, I'm so glad Nintendo stepped in and did the right thing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
okay so I can set the c stick to tilts, but then will it smash when I'm on the ground..? or is this whole holding the c-stick to charge only doable if one sacrifices aerial mobility?
Setting the C-stick to tilts makes it work like it did before but with tilts.

Keeping it on smash will let you charge smashes and give you a few techs like buffering control stick inputs in a particular way. And it appears you can keep your aerial mobility during aerials if you flick fast enough, but I think it's too finicky.

steelguttey

mei is bei
Yeah not a fan of those either, I'm so glad Nintendo stepped in and did the right thing.
nintendo hasnt done anything yet

companies like twitch and vgbc have because theyre scared of nintendo

everyone who has dropped pm has said multiple times that nintendo hasnt officially said anything but people still think nintendo is doing something

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
nintendo hasnt done anything yet

companies like twitch and vgbc have because theyre scared of nintendo

everyone who has dropped pm has said multiple times that nintendo hasnt officially said anything but people still think nintendo is doing something
Oh thanks, I thought I read Nintendo actually did it.

That's even better.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
You dodged the question instead of directly answering it. Figures. And I don't need to visit the sub-forum to know how popular it is, and I know that it is also a community divider at the same time. I'm out of here.
Then why did you ask for "hard facts and statistics" if you already knew how popular M is?

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Did anyone named steve that's here actually follow KhanYe like he said in the post? (Completely off subject)

Top Bottom