• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New "Tafo Talks" Addresses State of Project M

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
With the Smash community mostly thriving with the overwhelming success of Smash 4 and Super Smash Bros. Melee continuing to age like a fine bottle of Shiraz, most everything is well in the Smash community. However, the gargantuan elephant in the room has always been the current state of the extremely popular mod, Project M. Recently, Melee It On Me's Tafokints released a video touching upon this very subject.

Tafo dropping all the knowledge.
With many major tournament series and streaming organizations dropping Project M, many fans are legitimately concerned about the future of the game. All of this has been occurring despite the rising popularity of Project M throughout the entire world. Melee It On Me's Tafokints does an excellent job giving comprehensive reasons why Project M is where it is currently, and where the mod will go from here. Watch the full video below!

What did you think of Tafo's points? Do you think Project M belongs with the other official games in the series? Where do you think Project M goes from here?

KhanYe wants anyone named Steve to follow me on Twitter @aymangolassi. The rest of you are inconsequential to me.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I think that once Nintendo doesn't care about Smash 4 sales anymore, then they won't care so much about PM.

I think the reason they use their plastic claws to stop TO's from having PM is because they're afraid a new person to the smash community or ex brawl player would play PM instead of giving them money for smash 4. Just my 2 cents. PM should have a bright future because so many people love playing it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Project M is Cool, but Imo they keep changing characters essentially resetting the meta. They don't let people adapt, which is why a lot of top players don't play it anymore like ZeRo and Armada.

Last edited:

StabbityJoe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StabbityJoe
Project M is cool and all and it fixes all of Brawl's flaws but isn't Sm4sh superior anyway? You may not have Melee's exploitable wonky physics but everything else about it is better. More characters, better graphics, arguably superior controls and physics. Unless PM does something big its kinda irrelevant.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Unless PM does something big its kinda irrelevant.
You're right. Modding a game into a completely different one and being the second biggest Smash tourney at Apex 2014 is no big deal. Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Also, better controls and physics is subjective. I have more control of my character in Melee/PM so that's why I like it way more than the controls in Smash 4.

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
It's a shame that Project M is kind of dying from the streaming/tournament standpoint. It's pretty much the only Smash game my friends play and take seriously (I'm personally more into SSB4). I hope PM can find a place alongside SSB4 and Melee and hopefully Nintendo can just let it be instead of being gestapo and trying to eradicate it

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You're right. Modding a game into a completely different one and being the second biggest Smash tourney at Apex 2014 is no big deal. Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Watch out, trying to degrade another member's post through sarcasm is drifting dangerously close into what some may see as elitism. That is something the majority of us here would like to avoid.

If you really are concerned with promoting growth for any Smash game - whether it's PM or one of the official titles - stay positive, give informed responses, and remain respectful of others. If you're here only to spread sarcasm and give PM players a bad image, then please refrain from posting.

By working together as a community we can promote all the games we love. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
I think the fact that pm has this kind of buzz and the fact that people ARe cncerned about the state of pm with the tournament scene and what not, should be proof that the game isnt dying. people are stilll talking about it, and people are still playing it , and pm will continue because of it.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Watch out, trying to degrade another member's post through sarcasm is drifting dangerously close into what some may see as elitism. That is something the majority of us here would like to avoid.

If you really are concerned with promoting growth for any Smash game - whether it's PM or one of the official titles - stay positive, give informed responses, and remain respectful of others. If you're here only to spread sarcasm and give PM players a bad image, then please refrain from posting.

By working together as a community we can promote all the games we love. Thanks for reading. :)
You, you deserve a medal.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman

Oh, stop being so sensitive. He *did* give an informed response. Did you read the rest of it?

DairunCates

Smash Journeyman
Oh, stop being so sensitive. He *did* give an informed response. Did you read the rest of it?
Informed and passive-aggressive aren't the same thing. If you can't post an informed opinion without slathering on sarcasm and bile, you probably should just keep it to yourself.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I hate saying this, but maybe Project M getting a C&D by Nintendo wouldn't be all that bad.

It's not like PM is going anywhere in this state, in fact it's probably never gonna see the light again unless action is taken. And if Nintendo or the third party teams that have worked or contributed to Brawl were to pull out the C&D card, the fanbase would have a huge uproar.

Nintendo hasn't been pulling the right cards recently, with their attempt to ban Melee at Evo 2013, their Youtube copyright BS and Sakurai and his team's inability to understand their own fanbase just screams like this company needs a huge uproar. All we need now is something that'll make the smash fans pissed, like the banning of PM. Maybe Nintendo will stop acting like a bunch of annoying pricks that way.

Don't get me wrong, I love PM but the changing meta and the fact that it may never see the light of day again is a little disheartening. Hopefully I'm wrong and it doesn't need something like this at all and it can continue as it was before every major streamer/tourney/player starting dropping it.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Project M is cool and all and it fixes all of Brawl's flaws but isn't Sm4sh superior anyway? You may not have Melee's exploitable wonky physics but everything else about it is better. More characters, better graphics, arguably superior controls and physics. Unless PM does something big its kinda irrelevant.
2015 and people are still comparing PM to Smash 4...
It's pretty clear that you are simply another ignorant Smash 4 kid so I will try to explain everything slowly and clear ok buddy?

Like you said PM was created to be "Melee 2.0" which means that is has pretty much the same concept however, PM brings a lot of intersting new things to the table like new stages (Pokemon Stadium 3, Green Hill Zone) and creative characters like Pit, Mewtwo and Meta Knight. Of course, you may or not like it but comparing it to Smash 4 is a pretty dumb move: both of them have different physics, mechanics and characters (funamentally speaking). Just because it has better graphics and more content doesn't mean it's a superior game. I strongly encourage you to get to know the entire smash scene before making such ignorant and dumb claims. This is comming for an ex PM player and current Smash 4 one.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I hate saying this, but maybe Project M getting a C&D by Nintendo wouldn't be all that bad.

It's not like PM is going anywhere in this state, in fact it's probably never gonna see the light again unless action is taken. And if Nintendo or the third party teams that have worked or contributed to Brawl were to pull out the C&D card, the fanbase would have a huge uproar.

Nintendo hasn't been pulling the right cards recently, with their attempt to ban Melee at Evo 2013, their Youtube copyright BS and Sakurai and his team's inability to understand their own fanbase just screams like this company needs a huge uproar. All we need now is something that'll make the smash fans pissed, like the banning of PM. Maybe Nintendo will stop acting like a bunch of annoying pricks that way.

Don't get me wrong, I love PM but the changing meta and the fact that it may never see the light of day again is a little disheartening. Hopefully I'm wrong and it doesn't need something like this at all and it can continue as it was before every major streamer/tourney/player starting dropping it.
The changing meta part is more of not adapting rather than problem. Although i'm sure you're wrong about it dying.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
We just need more to's that doesn't suck nintendo's ****. Why can't they admit the wiiu was a failure anyways?
Nintendo is making money off every Wii u sold so it is not a failure just not the big success it should of been. PM was a mod that should of never been at big tournaments to begin with. It is a legal gray area and split the community more than it already was but PM grew into a real community later in its life unlike most other mods and fan games. Anyone who is upset that PM is being shafted at some tournaments, which it really isn't outside of major sponsored events, need to realize that they should of known something like being booted out of majors or at worst C&D, which Nintendo will not do as long as PM isn't being sold for profit, when joining in and competing for a mod that is legally sketchy is foolish. Not hating on my PM bros just telling it how it is. PM is the third most popular Smash right now which is astounding since PM is just a mod and all so it shouldn't be that hard for the PM community to try to hold a major for their favourite flavor of Smash.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
PM and Sm4sh are two entirely different beasts; it's like comparing Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 4.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
2015 and people are still comparing PM to Smash 4...
It's pretty clear that you are simply another ignorant Smash 4 kid so I will try to explain everything slowly and clear ok buddy?

Like you said PM was created to be "Melee 2.0" which means that is has pretty much the same concept however, PM brings a lot of intersting new things to the table like new stages (Pokemon Stadium 3, Green Hill Zone) and creative characters like Pit, Mewtwo and Meta Knight. Of course, you may or not like it but comparing it to Smash 4 is a pretty dumb move: both of them have different physics, mechanics and characters (funamentally speaking). Just because it has better graphics and more content doesn't mean it's a superior game. I strongly encourage you to get to know the entire smash scene before making such ignorant and dumb claims. This is comming for an ex PM player and current Smash 4 one.
No need to be condescending to the fellow you can express your opinions without toxicity.

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, complaining about new meta in PM shows your inability to adapt. Or rather you are just not willing to. Even if PM is just a copy of Melee, it still has something unique just like every other smash game that sets them apart from each other.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Nintendo approves of PM: PM makes a comeback
They can't approve of it due to legal issues and PM doesn't need to make a comeback it is the third most popular Smash for competitive play.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

People would of hated Brawl if it was Melee 2. Now with the addition of online casuals have major hurtles to overcome, and most will just whine. How do I know this? It happened to Mario Kart.

Snaking was in MKDD, and went completely unnoticed except by hardcore TTers. They were overjoyed that it returned for DS, while everybody else wasn't... Hardcores are still complaining about Snaking being removed to the day. It's the exact same situation as Melee, and Sakurai absolutely made the right choice to make Brawl casual friendly.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
They can't approve of it due to legal issues that they can get into legal issues for and PM doesn't need to make a comeback it is the third most popular Smash for competitive play.
That's my point. If Nintendo approves of PM, in an ideal world, GimR would definitely pick up PM again and it would comeback.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Deciding between Project M and Smash 4 is really up to the person, it's not the fact that one of the two is the better game. Project M is filled to the brim with fan service. For those that can recognize what Project M has, will really like it. Project M also offers a huge hand for those familiar with competitive Melee, and those who love the advanced techniques of it. Smash 4 is game, yes, with more characters, but is limited in fan service, unless you count characters people died over (Lucina lol). Smash 4 itself is a game between the speed of Brawl and Melee, closer to SSB64. Smash 4 is great for casuals to get into, quickly getting into competitive. I find competitive Smash 4 loads easier, but that doesn't mean it's better or worse.

It will always be up to the player.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord

Elaborate how the controls are better. The c-stick forcing one to move in the air seems like a serious downgrade.

ilikesquids

Smash Cadet

Get the **** out. The guy he responded to was arguing smash 4 was superior. He called the PM irrelevant when he so obviously doesn't know anything. He was obviously a scrub, and scrubs need to learn.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Elaborate how the controls are better. The c-stick forcing one to move in the air seems like a serious downgrade.
Tilt stick, and it forces you to stop if you hold the C-stick.

It also leads to techniques such as Fast-Fall buffering, and comes built-in with the ability to charge smashes. There's pros and cons, it's not a simple "X is better so HAH'"

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Get the **** out. The guy he responded to was arguing smash 4 was superior. He called the PM irrelevant when he so obviously doesn't know anything. He was obviously a scrub, and scrubs need to learn.
No need to be toxic the guy was asking a question, probably new to the scene, so a though out explanation of why you think he is wrong would of been great instead of this toxic crusade.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Project M is Cool, but Imo they keep changing characters essentially resetting the meta. They don't let people adapt, which is why a lot of top players don't play it anymore like ZeRo and Armada.
I wouldn't worry about Project M's changing meta at this point because they're essentially using all the data gathered from these builds towards their final goal of a 4.0 release.

Just think of the current P:M players as playtesters who are helping contribute towards better balance by providing feedback for the developers. No one thinks that the current meta of 3.5 or even 3.6 is going to be the complete meta anyways.

Also worthy to note is that from this point onwards, large changes to characters that might cause complete shifts in playstyles will probably not occur anymore. Tweaks will mostly be minor things, except for the one or two characters that need an overhaul like Olimar or Ice Climbers.

Once P:M goes "Gold" and decides their work is complete, that's when the meta can finally really develop, but for now, we're all just playtesters, helping to find that elusive right balance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom