• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Chrono Bound
45-56 characters on the Wii U smash bros (including DLC) is the widest range I got (unless we got a crap ton of DLC characters, which I would be all for). I think the more accurate range would be 48-52, with my most accurate number I could give would be 51 (14 added slots to 13 added slots to 12 from Melee to Brawl to Smash Bros Wii U).

@ yani
Banjo with Kazooie and/or Conker would be great playable characters. :(

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What are your guess in regards to total amount of playable characters? My guess is anywhere from a minimum of 39 to a maximum of 53.
I'm going to say about 48-50. That seems to be the magic number for fighting games lately.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pretty much hits the nail on the head. Just from your poll alone it is quite clear people prefer Sonic and Snake above all the others. Megaman makes sense, although I would prefer Megaman X I know it will end up being Classic. Choosing a Square Enix character is hard for me, but I still side with Dragon Quest. I am actually a lot more open to Pac Man thanks to SFxT. You have to admit Pac Man in that mech would be an interesting fighter.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Solid Snake
Megaman
Slime (aka Rocket)

I'm set.
I actually think the most voted for third party characters are:

Sonic
Snake
--- Big Space
Megaman
--- Big Space
Geno
Banjo
Bomberman

Star, as a fan, how would you feel if we got Geno over Black Mage, or Slime. Put aside all logic, everything. Let's just assume Sakurai had wanted to do this since Brawl, and now he SOMEHOW found a way to. How would you feel about his inclusion?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm going to say about 48-50. That seems to be the magic number for fighting games lately.
Does that include the four transformation characters as well? When I am doing numbers I just automatically count transformation characters in it, but other people seem to do slots.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
50, not counting transformations, just slot spaces. Although I definitely want no more than 60 with transformations.

yani

Smash Lord
Banjo with Kazooie and/or Conker would be great playable characters. :(
They'd be perfect! You should take a look at Rare's Fb page. They've been getting harassed to go back to Nintendo :laugh:

I'd love to see Ninty buy Banjo though. I know Iwata wanted to keep Banjo Kazooie, so one can only hope :scared:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I actually think the most voted for third party characters are:

Sonic
Snake
--- Big Space
Megaman
--- Big Space
Geno
Banjo
Bomberman

Star, as a fan, how would you feel if we got Geno over Black Mage, or Slime. Put aside all logic, everything. Let's just assume Sakurai had wanted to do this since Brawl, and now he SOMEHOW found a way to. How would you feel about his inclusion?
I wouldn't mind. I love Super Mario RPG as it is one of favorite SNES titles. Granted, my preference when it comes to a Super Mario RPG character has always been with Mallow, but Geno would be fine. I just do not understand why so many people find him appealing. Either way I'll be happy.

Does that include the four transformation characters as well? When I am doing numbers I just automatically count transformation characters in it, but other people seem to do slots.
Without transformations.

It's funny because they didn't leave Nintendo, Nintendo sold them...

Nothing is going to change haha, unless Nintendo randomly decided they would want to buy them back... which would be weird.
They are not even worth buying at this point. All of the important people who were the creative geniuses behind the company left a long time ago.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They'd be perfect! You should take a look at Rare's Fb page. They've been getting harassed to go back to Nintendo :laugh:

I'd love to see Nintny buy Banjo though. I know Iwata wanted to keep Banjo Kazooie, so one can only hope :scared:

Nothing is going to change haha, unless Nintendo randomly decided they would want to buy them back... which would be weird.

@Star

I was thinking something along those lines. Like, did B&K even sell that well? Its a great game franchise, but the fans... aren't exactly as booming as they once were. Plus, it's not like the series has been doing well lately. The last game? Bunk.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

I'd love to see Ninty buy Banjo though. I know Iwata wanted to keep Banjo Kazooie, so one can only hope :scared:
Yeah well they wouldn't do much good. Almost all of their staff from way back when is gone. It's not the same company anymore.

Plus the reason Rare left is Nintendo sold them. It is too bad Nintendo couldn't buy off the intellectual property to the Perfect Dark, Conker, and Banjo franchise... >.>

yani

Smash Lord

Unfortunately buying them back would be worthless now since most of the top talent workers left. It's a shame. All of them had agreed they'd give all of the money Microsoft paid them to go back to the way it was:(

Yeah well they wouldn't do much good. Almost all of their staff from way back when is gone. It's not the same company anymore.

Plus the reason Rare left is Nintendo sold them. It is too bad Nintendo couldn't buy off the intellectual property to the Perfect Dark, Conker, and Banjo franchise... >.>
I Conker with this statement :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star

I was thinking something along those lines. Like, did B&K even sell that well? Its a great game franchise, but the fans... aren't exactly as booming as they once were. Plus, it's not like the series has been doing well lately. The last game? Bunk.
The series did pretty well from what I remember. Back during my N64 era youth I remember my friend loved his copy of Banjo Kazooie. I coveted his game and always wanted to get my hands on my own copy, but that never panned out. The one for the 360 from what I know it did not do well nor was it well received. So the current state of the series is pretty much dead. Which is sad because had Rare not had been sold I can guarantee you Banjo & Kazooie would be in Super Smash Bros by now, and probably still a moderately successful series.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Did you guys know everyone who was good left Rare?

Kantrip

Kantplay
True story.

It wasn't just the company. There were some really amazing people there, and they no longer work for Rare.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A bunch of them went on the make Call of Duty, and then were promptly fired by Activision after Modern Warfare 2.

I forget where I heard it, but the old Rare composer was making music for some recent game...

Really though the hindsight letting go of Rare wasn't a bad move by any means... from a business standpoint. I just wish Nintendo still owned the intellectual property to the many series, franchises, and characters that Rare had made while they were owned (or primarily owned) by Nintendo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think I heard about that. No surprise though, ever since they started working with Microsoft they've gone down hill in quality.

Personally I could care less if they came back to Nintendo, I never really cared for their games (I'm not a big DKC fan). :p

yani

Smash Lord
Kirkhope is making music for Big Huge Games or something like that.

It was a smart business move. Iwata should have pushed to keep Banjo.

Rare actually wanted to keep Donkey Kong too. F that!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really loved Banjo-Kazooie (and its sequel Tooie), especially BK though. Banjo-Kazooie would have transitioned very well into Smash Bros. and probably have made it into Brawl had Nintendo owned the property. I think Joanna Dark is another character that would have been interesting in Smash Bros., though she would have been much less likely than Banjo-Kazooie.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The series did pretty well from what I remember. Back during the 64 days I rmember my friend loved his Banjo Kazooie game. As a child I coveted his game and always wanted to get my hands on my own copy, but that never panned out. The one for the 360 from what I know it did not do well nor was it well received. So the current state of the series is pretty much dead. Which is sad because had Rare not had been sold I can guarantee you he would be in Super Smash Bros by now, and probably still a moderately successful series.
I wonder what was their reasoning for the sell? Banjo Kazooie I'm sure did well, I just meant the series wasn't a long running one like DK, or a Pokemon phenomonenon, so I can see why they were okay with selling the series. Also, I agree. Banjo & Kazooie would be in it, maybe even Gruntilda or Mumbo? u.u

No one caught my satire? :l

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
David Wise talked a bit about the decline of Rare shortly after being sold by Nintendo. One by one everyone left and slowly dried the company of any innovative sense they once had. For David Wise in particular I know he has expressed interest in working with Nintendo again. I only hope they take him up on the offer.

I wonder what was their reasoning for the sell? Banjo Kazooie I'm sure did well, I just meant the series wasn't a long running one like DK, or a Pokemon phenomonenon, so I can see why they were okay with selling the series. Also, I agree. Banjo & Kazooie would be in it, maybe even Gruntilda or Mumbo? u.u
Nevermind.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/10/shigeru-miyamoto-zelda/

Miyamoto, at least, seems to hate the character Toad
Oh not this again. It's not what everyone is making it out to be. Toad is one of his favorite characters, there is just some kind of inside joke where he does not like him in Mario Kart.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Kirkhope is making music for Big Huge Games or something like that.

It was a smart business move. Iwata should have pushed to keep Banjo.

Rare actually wanted to keep Donkey Kong too. F that!!
Yeah, no way Rare was getting to own anything from the Donkey Kong franchise. That was Nintendo's franchise, and all the characters they owned basically belonged to Nintendo. Thank God for that. Smash and the post-Donkey Kong series without the Donkey Kong Country characters would be awful.
I really loved Banjo-Kazooie (and its sequel Tooie), especially BK though. Banjo-Kazooie would have transitioned very well into Smash Bros. and probably have made it into Brawl had Nintendo owned the property. I think Joanna Dark is another character that would have been interesting in Smash Bros., though she would have been much less likely than Banjo-Kazooie.
Yeah Banjo would be a great smash bros character. He would literally be absolutely perfect for smash bros. He would fit with smash like a magnet.

Joanna Dark was a great character, too. She could work in smash, and I think it might have actually happened if Nintendo still owned her.

I'm not sure how Conker would fit in smash bros, though (given he is a hardcore alcoholic and suicidal). If it was all "fun fun silly silly" Diddy Kong Racing Conker, then he could definitely fit in to the smash bros series.

They sold Rare because a lot of the key people had already left, and because Microsoft wanted to make some noise. Needless to say in the end neither company made huge gains. It hurt Nintendo's reputation, and nothing special happened from Rare for Microsoft. Microsoft ended up having their "Big Thing" in Bungie and Halo, though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Don't hate on Mumbo, he's pretty kewl :3

God, I can't believe I used to spell cool like that, to sound kewl. How lame.

yani

Smash Lord
They sold because their relationship began to get rocky. Nintendo wanted Rare to pick up the pace with their games. They only had a small chunk of Nintendo's profit (less then 10% iirc) Nintendo wasn't happy with Conker. Rare had to turn Dinosaur Planet into SFA etc.

They wanted to be owned by Nintendo, but Ninty wouldn't buy them out completely. Activision placed a bid and the deal fell through, Microsoft jumped on it like a hawk. No matter the bid, Nintendo always had the option to match it. Microsoft offered $375m knowing Nintendo wouldn't match it, and thus here we are today.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
All of this Rare discussion is causing me to reminisce over how much I loved Diddy Kong Racing back in the day.

My childhood. :'(

I WORKED MY BUTT OFF FOR THAT STUPID CLOCK CHARACTER!
I loved Diddy Kong Racing as well a great deal.

If you feel old, I actually even remember the promotional video that was given away to promote the Nintendo 64 back in the summer of 1996.

yani

Smash Lord
I actually popped in Diddy Kong Racing a few hours ago. Try unlocking T.T. on the DS version. Even more annoying :mad:. I love the music in that game. Hot Top Volcano, Greenwood Village, Everfrost Peak, Haunted Village, Crescent Island, Walrus Cove :love:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I loved Diddy Kong Racing as well a great deal.

If you feel old, I actually even remember the promotional video that was given away to promote the Nintendo 64 back in the summer of 1996.
Hahahaha same here. I remember watching that thing over and over just awe struck by this innovation known as three dimensional gaming.

I actually popped in Diddy Kong Racing a few hours ago. Try unlocking T.T. on the DS version. Even more annoying :mad:. I love the music in that game. Hot Top Volcano, Greenwood Village, Everfrost Peak, Haunted Village, Crescent Island, Walrus Cove :love:
What? How can T.T. be any worse to unlock? That is almost impossible. Unlocking T.T. was like the worst experience of my life. It took me almost a year.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I miss Banjo on NINTENDO consoles... The way he was MEANT TO BE, DAMNIT MICROSOFT!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I miss Killer Instinct more, honestly.

Albeit, I gotta start my B-K games. I do love Rare Platformers regardless, so I KNOW I'll enjoy them. I only own the n64 versions.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Banjo and Kazooie is the only one time where I will use the "deserving" argument adamantly. I would be willing to say they're more deserving than some of the characters already in Smash.

Nintendo owned only 49% of the company and Rare was looking for someone to buy them out entirely or something like that. MS bought them so Nintendo couldn't have them. Unfortunately, because of MS' inexperience and Western design philosophy, things did not pan out well. They wanted a piece of Nintendo, but the most that MS' idiocy allowed for was Kameo (underrated game and excellent soundtrack), BK3, PDZ (not that great from what I hear), and Viva Pinata. Instead, they're stuck doing Kinect games. MS was about 8 years late on making Rare their little Nintendo.

There was an article put up recently on the whole thing. I only ready about half of it, but it's a good read.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-08-who-killed-rare

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hahahaha same here. I remember watching that thing over and over just awe struck by this innovation known as three dimensional gaming.
I remember running and jumping around in Super Mario RPG for hours because of how breathtaking playing as Mario in 3D was. You can only imagine how exciting Super Mario 64 was for me for the first time. It was magical.

yani

Smash Lord
What? How can T.T. be any worse to unlock? That is almost impossible. Unlocking T.T. was like the worst experience of my life. It took me almost a year.
In N64, you only have to beat his Time Trial with the preferred vehicle on each race track. In the DS version, you have to do it with every available vehicle on each track :mad:.

I recently unlocked T.T. (in both versions actually). Found out in the N64 version you can simply keep tapping A in a car to go much faster.

Also, everyone should read the article Kuma posted. Long, but great read.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know, even if MS was an idiot in handling Rare at first, this was all Rare's doing. I'm just happy that we have Retro now. Let them do some original games and they can easily be the new Rare in terms of games. I'd like to see them doing a WRPG. I'd say FPS, but that market's over saturated as it is.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I remember running and jumping around in Super Mario RPG for hours because of how breathtaking playing as Mario in 3D was. You can only imagine how exciting Super Mario 64 was for me for the first time. It was magical.
Who are you telling? I was one of the other millions of kids drooling at the site of 3D Mario. At the time it was like the most incredible thing ever. I remember getting my Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64 and Yoshi's Story. There were only two games that literally gave me a feeling that is the closest to magical as my mind can comprehend. Super Smash Bros and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I would wake up at two in the morning just so I could play each game. Hearing the sound effect in Ocarina of Time when you go from the intro to the main menu always gave me little adolescent chills.

That little black machine with the crazy controllers sure did produce a lot of magical memories.

In N64, you only have to beat his Time Trial with the preferred vehicle on each race track. In the DS version, you have to do it with every available vehicle on each track :mad:.

I recently unlocked T.T. (in both versions actually). Found out in the N64 version you can simply keep tapping A in a car to go much faster.
That is sick and twisted.

You know, even if MS was an idiot in handling Rare at first, this was all Rare's doing. I'm just happy that we have Retro now. Let them do some original games and they can easily be the new Rare in terms of games. I'd like to see them doing a WRPG. I'd say FPS, but that market's over saturated as it is.
You'll be happy. The latest staff acquisitions Retro has made indicate they are working on a maturer title.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458438
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=29290&accountno=288

So..... Any big UPDATES?
Goldeneye? I thoroughly enjoy the Wii version almost as much as the N64 version.
Thiiiis.

Tbh, I didn't give a **** regarding 007 looking like Daniel Craig and the gameplay being somewhat like COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom