• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yani_

Smash Ace
Pikachu (Pichu model swap)
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
Lucario
Doexys
Victini

GAME. OVER.

Shut up. Not even funny.

Pokemon is one of the FEW things I actually look forward to in terms of characters. I am most definitely not the only one.
There's no surprise to it. It's the mainstream or the legendary. Only one with a twist was PT, but not a fan of him myself.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Shut up. Not even funny.

Pokemon is one of the FEW things I actually look forward to in terms of characters. I am most definitely not the only one.
Wouldn't you say the "worst-case" scenario would be Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Zoroark/Victini. Probably Zoroark in this case since I think you prefer Victini. :awesome:

Lol @ horsecrap. You've got a stubborn one, Star.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, quick question:

How popular is Red, with his current Pokemon anyway?

Although if they do replace some of his Pokemon I can see:

Bayleaf over Ivysaur
Mudkip over Squirtle

That way they can keep their movesets intact as well. Would anyone else be o.k. with that?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This. Specific Gen representation seems like such a pain now. I honestly wouldn't even care if there wasn't a pokemon newcomer (unlikely obviously). There are too many to choose from. I don't see anything special in legendary pokemon anymore.
...But...th-they're legends--you tell stories about them to your grandchildren. :c

I'm leaving pokemon discussions alone for a bit now. Its too early for my related ideas to rear their heads.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Horsecrap. Every Gen deserves rep. Also, Minun & Plusle were planned. All Generations were meant to be repped.

The whole pattern has been add one new Gen, and one 1st Gen. That hasn't changed in all 3 games.

SSB64 added Pikachu as the latest Gen, then Jigglypuff as another 1st Gen. Melee added Pichu as the latest Gen, being 3rd, and another 1st Gen in Mewtwo. Brawl added Lucario at the latest Gen, and Pokemon Trainer as 1st Gen.
No, they really don't. Despite early on theories it is very likely what many people thought were Plusle and Minun was really just the random button. There is no solid evidence for those two like with the others. Especially when the Ice Climbers, Popo and Nana, were split into individual files.

The first game is a poor example to begin the pattern with as Pokémon Red and Blue were the only games at that time. Pichu was the result of the development team having extra time on their hands and Sakurai wanting to both buff the roster and add a joke character. Pichu was a good gamble.

Pokémon Trainer Red was one of the top ten most requested characters from the Japanese Melee poll. It really is not that surprising Sakurai added him in retrospect. Not to mention the three Red/Blue starters have remained as popular as they have always been.

The whole "pattern" is shaky at best when placed in the context of some of the other details that are out there.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Of course there are lots to choose from, but i see it likely that Nintendo will listen to the public in that case and see what there is in cases of popular demand.

I'm just generally excited as to whom they'll add in in general.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, quick question:

How popular is Red, with his current Pokemon anyway?

Although if they do replace some of his Pokemon I can see:

Bayleaf over Ivysaur
Mudkip over Squirtle

That way they can keep their movesets intact as well. Would anyone else be o.k. with that?
Charizard and Squirtle are extremely popular and Ivysaur seems to be the least popular out of the 1st gen starters. I for one wouldn't mind a change-up in Pokemon Trainer as long as they rep 2nd/3rd gen.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@hyper
That's an extremely subjective situation. One could argue that only 1st and 2nd gens deserve reps since they are typically viewed as the "best". One could argue that only 5th gen deserves reps since its the most recent. One could argue that pokemon deserve no reps because they're stupid.
Like some others were saying, when it comes to ssb series Pokemon's chances shouldn't be affected by gen but by what each one can bring to the table.
Also I wouldn't call it a patter yet since technically melee set the first precedent and 2 games don't make a pattern.

That's all I have to say today because I'm tired sooooooo yea.

EDIT:
Star said most of what I was thinking but I already typed it out so I'm leaving it XD.
:phone:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah charizard is the most popular pokemon in the world, not to mention being my poke-love (not in a weird way you pervs :grin: )

What do you mean by 'Melee set the first precedent'?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I remember laughing at people who suggested Charizard be playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The one guy who suggested Ivysaur I ripped to shreds... Funny how things happen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Does anyone else see my ghost post?...

I'll go see if I can fix it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Charizard and Squirtle are extremely popular and Ivysaur seems to be the least popular out of the 1st gen starters. I for one wouldn't mind a change-up in Pokemon Trainer as long as they rep 2nd/3rd gen.
Yeah, if anything they should not ever remove Charizard.

But for replacements for the other two, I'm fine just as long as they keep the movesets intact.

Anyway I'm off for the night and am going to continue my pursuit of Ridley in Super Metroid. Later.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say that the 3rd or 5th gen needs to have a rep, but they definitely merit a rep from that gen. Both gen have good choices for playable reps that would satisfy fans. Can't we at least agree on that?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No Gen deserves any more Rep than any other. Rep them all with playable. That objectively solves the problem. They were clearly all meant to have playable reps, and that has never changed. They all deserve it, and that's not up for debate.

And my pattern was exactly what happened. You asked for a pattern, and I gave you a factual one. The exact characters put in don't lie. Not up for debate, the only objective way is to have everything fairly repped. Skipping one is a biased way to do it.

Patterns start the second it shows up in more than one item. The pattern is there, end of story.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Yeah charizard is the most popular pokemon in the world, not to mention being my poke-love (not in a weird way you pervs :grin: )

What do you mean by 'Melee set the first precedent'?
The one new gen, one first gen thing

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wow star, it sounds like you were one mean guy back pre-brawl. :awesome:
When you are very arrogant within your little bubble it comes with the territory. That is why so many people were disappointed with Brawl's roster. A lot of people were like me and projected their own ideas of how things work never actually realizing how Sakurai evaluates things. Thankfully we do now through many of his post-Brawl interviews.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I thought a pattern was based on three items? At least thats what they taught us in maths. Oh well.

Ahh i get what you mean. Although theoretically it still works in 64, it's just... You know.

Haha, well i actually wasn't really being serious star, but thats actually an interesting statement. I guess i can see how that works.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought a pattern was based on three items? At least thats what they taught us in maths. Oh well.

Ahh i get what you mean. Although theoretically it still works in 64, it's just... You know.
There were three games, where the pattern exists. You're still correct.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I remember laughing at people who suggested Charizard be playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The one guy who suggested Ivysaur I ripped to shreds... Funny how things happen.
This is probably hindsight for me. Watch, some of people I go in on because of character choices (I don't usually get into that though, most of the time just stupid comments) will get that character in the game.

I'll take my L and sit back to face the music.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
When i seriously look at pokemon... I dunno. I try to look at possibilities in both, patterns, public, and sakurai's head, but it's hard to make a proper unbiased decision because i don't know half of those things. *sigh*

yani_

Smash Ace

yeah it's empty.

No Gen deserves any more Rep than any other. Rep them all with playable. That objectively solves the problem. They were clearly all meant to have playable reps, and that has never changed. They all deserve it, and that's not up for debate.
This is absolutely true. Which is why idc for the reps anymore.

Let's do this:
Pikachu
Jiggz
PT (Squirt, Ivy, Zard)
Lucario
Vicinti

5 First Gen
1 4th
1 5th
= 7 playable reps total

There's no arguing that the demand for Mewtwo back is huge. Now you can add him back and have 6 first gen and 8 playable pokemon reps. Let's add pichu to rep second gen. 9 playable reps. Deoxys to rep third. 10 playable reps.

Or.

Instead of adding pichu and deoxys, switch up PT's pokemon. Yes it could work. But Charizard has a huge fanbase too, and there's no doubt if he were cut, he'd be demanded to be in ~smash5~. Just seems like a whole pattern of cuts and buts and coconuts to me.

edit: and let's not forget the possibility of gen 6 coming out before sm4sh. It just ends up being too many monz.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have no problem with how they rep every Gen with playables. As long as it's done. That part I'm not entirely picky about.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
EXACTLY. Stuff like that is the reason why I don't shoot down most ideas like I would've.

...Unless its extremely bad.

Yea I see that post.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah cutting Charizard now would mean an outcry. I think he's a bigger cut than any of the melee cuts, no? Just when it comes to popularity...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

And my pattern was exactly what happened. You asked for a pattern, and I gave you a factual one. The exact characters put in don't lie. Not up for debate, the only objective way is to have everything fairly repped. Skipping one is a biased way to do it.

Patterns start the second it shows up in more than one item. The pattern is there, end of story.
Clearly huh? My what a hollow statement. You continue using the word deserve when no there is no such thing when it comes to character selection. It is not about fairness. Sorry.

I did not ask for a pattern. All I simply made a comment on is that Pokéballs count as representation and thus do not make it necessary to have a playable character for every generation.

A pattern is only a pattern until the next event does something differently. A pattern based upon two events, one of which had many other variables to it is not a very stable pattern that I would hold so adamantly. This isn't a linear statistic.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
out of all of the starters, i play best as Ivysaur...when i play pokemon my starters were: bulbasaur, totodile, treeko (of which i evolved and kept it at Grovyle stage), piplup, and snivy.

btw... my all time favourite pokemon is Grovyle.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Out of the three starters I enjoy Charizard the best. His playstyle is just really fun to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pokeballs =/= Playable. They do not count for any playable rep, and thus, do not rep it as characters that we play as. It does NOT count any possible way.

And the pattern exists, just as I said it. Melee and Brawl followed 64's exact style.

3rd Gen has no playable rep, which is what I said. Yani gets it. There is no reason to disclude any Generation. As I said, this is not up for debate.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Man that sneasel of Cyrus' is really annoying. I had my Empoleon hyper beam it and it didn't faint, plus my Empoleon was like 6 or 7 levels above it.

Although his theme is simply amazing.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
*sigh*

I wasn't saying they counted as playable representation I said they counted as representation. Therefore it is not important to have a playable Pokémon character to represent every series.

I'm really not going to get further a statistical debate you with. I will leave it at "it is not as solid as you make it out to be."

Can we change the topic to something entertaining? I am becoming bored debating Pokémon dribble. No Fire Emblem either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was specifically talking about playable representation the entire time, not rep in general. I get that everything got repped fairly, I won't deny that. Just not playable-wise which is my problem.

Moving on, then.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wait hold on...

You are telling me that...this stupid as hell pokemon debate (yes I'm tired of seeing pokemon in this thread) was over two different view points that aren't even in the same categories? So you could not....

Never mind. Continue on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom