• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah Brawl really missed the element of surprise. We can thank not only how characters were unlocked for this but also Dojo for revealing practically every thing a few months before the game was even released.

I got admit though, one thing Brawl did get right were the characters themselves. The clones weren't as bad.
I can respect clones. They are added to quickly beef up the roster when it's needed. I can't really respect them staying clones after their innitial introduction into the series though. Falco and Ganon were simply not going to be in Melee, and it's cool that they were added in, but from the very begining of Brawl they should have been totally redone.

Blaster Fox
Bazooka Falcon
Grenade SlippyWOLF
Gatlin Krystal

Individuality FTW!

as a spinoff series they're lucky as is to get two MAYBE 3 considering metroid for example still only technically has one.
The DKC franchises has made LOADS of monies for Nintendo. They definitely are right up their with Loz, Mario, Pokemon, and Metroid.

D

Deleted member

Steam said:
I really really really doubt the DK series will see four character reps :/

as a spinoff series they're lucky as is to get two MAYBE 3 considering metroid for example still only technically has one.
Both characters are still somewhat relevant to the series since they did appear in 2009s Mario Super Sluggers and they could still return for the rumored sequel. I don't think Omega was applying that we will get four reps, just that we're likely to get three in SSB4 and I agree.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I never implied about actually getting four DK reps I just wanted to state their possibility, but yes, the DK franchise definetly is as popular as Metroid and Starfox in regards to it.

:phone:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Mario's technically the spin off series of DK. :V

But personally, my money is it just having two reps, DK and Diddy. Two stages, one being based on DKCR, and another being based on an older game (DKC2 hopefully) and an AT or two (Rambi is a must)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think one of the big things they slipped up with Brawl was who all they made unlockable and I think that's one of the major reasons why so many people were bitter about the final roster. Most of the new characters were available from the get go and most of the unlockables were characters revealed in the opening or were in the past games: Luigi, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Marth, Ness, Sonic, and Snake. That just left Lucario, Wolf, and ROB: one being a semi-clone and one being a character that a lot of people didn't like at first. In my opinion, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Marth should have been available from the get-go and King Dedede, Ike, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong should have been unlockable (AKA everyone new revealed after E3 07). I hope they follow suit with SSB4 and avoid making most of the unlockable characters from the past games.

Steam

Smash Hero
Both characters are still somewhat relevant to the series since they did appear in 2009s Mario Super Sluggers and they could still return for the rumored sequel. I don't think Omega was applying that we will get four reps, just that we're likely to get three in SSB4 and I agree.
Mario super sluggers is a spinoff game... (that was worse than the original)

there's no way DKC is even coming close to Pokemon or Mario. those are just soooo big. probably not zelda either because they just make more games. And it probably is bigger than metroid lol but not by some omglol margin. too lazy to look up lol...

DK miiight get a 3rd character... but I'm pretty... skeptical about it... but then again I haven't played a DK game since DK 64 so I don't know what's relevant in the DK series at this point

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
If Dixie was added as a dk rep duo would anyone be against her partner being tiny/kiddy and letting Diddy stay his own character

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think one of the big things they slipped up with Brawl was who all they made unlockable and I think that's one of the major reasons why so many people were bitter about the final roster. Most of the new characters were available from the get go and most of the unlockables were characters revealed in the opening or were in the past games: Luigi, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Falco, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Marth, Ness, Sonic, and Snake. That just left Lucario, Wolf, and ROB: one being a semi-clone and one being a character that a lot of people didn't like at first. In my opinion, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Marth should have been available from the get-go and King Dedede, Ike, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong should have been unlockable (AKA everyone new revealed after E3 07). I hope they follow suit with SSB4 and avoid making most of the unlockable characters from the past games.
I think in general, Nintendo needs to keep their secret hats on and not release everything about the game via E3/Dojo. That's why I suggested a weekly updated Sakurai Blog where he answers fanmail. Or, like Kuma suggested, have him update twitter like Ono does.

Especially with the amount of cats Ono likes to use. . . :)

there's no way DKC is even coming close to Pokemon or Mario. those are just soooo big. probably not zelda either because they just make more games. And it probably is bigger than metroid lol but not by some omglol margin. too lazy to look up lol...
Doneky Kong Country outsold A Link to the Past. DK1&2 sold a heeeeck of a lot of games, and it probably would have sold more if the DKC series wasn't so reclusive in the more recent years. Diddy Kong Racing outsold Majora, which I find funny.

OmegaXXII

Exactly what they should do, in all honesty they should have just kept Sonic and Snake as a big surprise, but sakurai couldn't contain them that it kinda ruined the surprise by revealing them at the e3 trailer and Dojo updates, heck they were even mentioned on the back cover, seriously who does that?

All the newcomers should have been 'secret', but hopefully SSB4 will introduce more of the vets as the starting roster rather than a bunch of newcomers having the 'get go'.

D

Deleted member

Agree wholeheartedly. I now regard it as a very good roster, but when I saw the final result back then, I felt incredibly bitter about it and even hated the game for that reason (Which wasn't a good one at all and now looking back, I would give it a 9/10). This is why the original twelve needs to be upgraded to starter status in SSB4 (In Lucas case, make him unlockable, was pretty much not needed for the starting roster). But I highly doubt in terms of vets that we'll get more then what we have in Brawl + those four if even that. Considering that I only have an expectations of 44 characters, only three newcomers should be from the start and the other six/seven (Or more depending on final results and how many characters from past game gets the axe) should be unlocked.

Ironically enough, I think the Dragon Ball Z fighting series may have something to do with people's disappointment with Brawl, with the insane amount of characters they have in the game. Unfortunately for us, even if the rumors of the rosters being the same for the 3DS and Wii-U version is false and if we get 44-49 character slots with 1-3 cuts from past games, I feel that regardless of what the developers do, I can see the same process happening again, but the developers need to do everything in their power to reduce this as much as possible.
Mario super sluggers is a spinoff game... (that was worse than the original)

DK miiight get a 3rd character... but I'm pretty... skeptical about it... but then again I haven't played a DK game since DK 64 so I don't know what's relevant in the DK series at this point
A spin-off game is enough to show that neither of those two have been completely forgotten and really, the series is more popular then Star Fox, which has three reps. If they can get three reps, so can Donkey Kong.

D

Deleted member

I've always thought starfox might have had too many reps. lol why more than metroid
I think it's because Star Fox has more characters with fighting potentials then Metroid does. On Star Fox, I can name four characters with fighting potentials: Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal. On Metroid, only two: Samus and Ridley.

Steam

Smash Hero
I think it's because Star Fox has more characters with fighting potentials then Metroid does. On Star Fox, I can name four characters with fighting potentials: Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal. On Metroid, only two: Samus and Ridley.
does K.rool have fighting potential?

could they make dixie not a clone if they put her in?

OmegaXXII

Of course K.Rool has fighting potential, he would be very unique regarding movesets.

As for Dixie, it's tough to say since I've never played DKC, but I belive she would a somewhat similar moveset like Diddy's, I can't speak on the matter too much...

D

Deleted member

Yes King K. Rool does having fighting potential.

The worst I can see Dixie Kong is a semi-clone and there's the possibility of her and Diddy being in a tag team if she is in SSB4.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Time to step in. K. Rool has incredible amounts of fighting potential. His moveset has so many cannon options, he could live off of having four different attack buttons and still have plenty of moves. K. Rool deserves it more than Dixie does, for sure.

D

Deleted member

Well you have Dark Samus, Anthony Higgs, and Sylux. But I only like the idea of Dark Samus. The other two make me go "blllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhk".
To be fair, I was also taking into account if they were likely or not. That's why I only listed two. As for Dark Samus, I think he would be a clone of Samus.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
In regards to Brawl's hidden characters, a couple of things~

Not revealing Snake and Sonic were in there would have been the horribly stupid. They were two of the main draws. If you keep them as surprises that people don't know about, that's just going to decrease sales. Now hide Olimar or PT? Yeah, that works better, since they are well known and interesting characters, but they aren't game sellers.

Next off, Melee wasn't king of the secret characters either. Mr. G&W, Mewtwo, and Marth were the only non-clone/non-veteran hidden characters. It was low there too, though I suppose overall it was still a better idea, considering how the clones were nice surprises.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Time to step in. K. Rool has incredible amounts of fighting potential. His moveset has so many cannon options, he could live off of having four different attack buttons and still have plenty of moves. K. Rool deserves it more than Dixie does, for sure.
Very true, K. Rool has 4 games worth of attacks/moves that can be used. The good thing too is he has different attacks in all of his games. First game he had his crown/jumping ability. DKC2 had his cannons, DKC3 had the jet pack thing. Personally I think K. Rool is the better option over Dixie because he has a complete unique moveset, plus he's the villain. He has TONS of fighting potential, he's a great choice

Steam

Smash Hero
I'd much rather see K.roll over dixie or diddy/dixie. would not want to get infinited by a pair of annoying monkeys

D

Deleted member

In regards to Brawl's hidden characters, a couple of things~

Not revealing Snake and Sonic were in there would have been the horribly stupid. They were two of the main draws. If you keep them as surprises that people don't know about, that's just going to decrease sales. Now hide Olimar or PT? Yeah, that works better, since they are well known and interesting characters, but they aren't game sellers.

Next off, Melee wasn't king of the secret characters either. Mr. G&W, Mewtwo, and Marth were the only non-clone/non-veteran hidden characters. It was low there too, though I suppose overall it was still a better idea, considering how the clones were nice surprises.
- This is why I believe that the only exception to the "Unlockable characters remain hidden" rule is the third-party characters. As long as the roster is over 40 slots and the game is great, Classic Mega Man would be enough to get me the game.

- That's true, but it did at least have plenty of nice surprises that made it worth getting.

@TBone06: King K. Rool is like the only character I can think of special moves for easily now. That's a good sign of unique character and I kind of think Sakurai will emphasize unique characters over clones.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To be fair, I was also taking into account if they were likely or not. That's why I only listed two. As for Dark Samus, I think he would be a clone of Samus.
With my luck it/he/she would be. But I hear she plays differently than Samus in the game(s)? She is featured in. But idrk. But I am aware that she isn't likely, but she could work.

You can't really complain too much about clones because in Melee, it was either clones, or only 20 characters, soooo we got clones.

Not revealing Snake and Sonic were in there would have been the horribly stupid. They were two of the main draws. If you keep them as surprises that people don't know about, that's just going to decrease sales.
While I agree with you, it's definitely not like there inclusion wouldn't hit the internet within 3 hours of Brawl's release. It really wouldn't have hurt sales that much. IMO.

TBone06

Smash Ace
@TBone06: King K. Rool is like the only character I can think of special moves for easily now. That's a good sign of unique character and I kind of think Sakurai will emphasize unique characters over clones.
It's soo true. I mean off the top of my head I can make one. B - crown roll B> - cannon shot B^ - The jump from the first game OR the Jet pack from DKC3. I'm sure they could make something for Bv. But he's totally unique. Having played all 3 DKC's, DK64 and DKCR, he is by far the best choice for a DK rep in my personal opinion

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
With my luck it/he/she would be. But I hear she plays differently than Samus in the game(s)? She is featured in. But idrk. But I am aware that she isn't likely, but she could work.
That's reminds me, I'm wondering why Ridley isn't in your Top 10 list of most likely characters. I'm asking because I feel that unless the team screws up, he's a shoe-in.

Also, weren't you going to ask Pieman about that list thing that you've mentioned yesterday? I'd like to see the essay.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's reminds me, I'm wondering why Ridley isn't in your Top 10 list of most likely characters. I'm asking because I feel that unless the team screws up, he's a shoe-in.

Also, weren't you going to ask Pieman about that list thing that you've mentioned yesterday? I'd like to see the essay.
What was the list again? I forgot? x) The one about character placement? The whole thing on what order characters show up whenever they're listed in brawl?

And Ridley was most likely not on my list, because . . . I forgot. I was tired and not in the zone when making that list. I don't consider him a shoe-in, but he's pretty darn likely. I consider Medusa/Palutena to be a shoe-in though.

OmegaXXII

Shortiecanbrawl said:
While I agree with you, it's definitely not like there inclusion wouldn't hit the internet within 3 hours of Brawl's release. It really wouldn't have hurt sales that much. IMO.
well I do agree with the marketing of 3rd parties during pre-release but IMO just to an extent so when we discover someone like Megaman we would be like "OMG!! Megaman is in the game!"

it just gives you a sense of shock plus hapiness at the last second rather than being spoiled and saying "meh... I wonder how his moves work?" y'know.

Kantrip

Kantplay
King K. Rool

Kaptain K. Rool

Baron K. Roolenstein

King Krusha K. Rool

All are the same person. All add a variety of moveset potential for what many see as the next priority to be added to a smash game. K. Rool is really up there in the top tier of who should be present in the next Smash Brothers game. Just to show the vast amount of possibilities that K. Rool could use in his moveset:

Donkey Kong Country: In the original game, K. Rool wore a crown and a cape and called himself "King K. Rool". In the final boss encounter, he could roll his crown along the ground as a projectile attack, do a barreling charge attack, and leap up in the air to fall down and crush enemies. This leaping could also cause cannonballs to fall from the ceilling.

Donkey Kong Country 2, Diddy's Kong Quest: In the sequel to DKC, K. Rool returns again. This time he is at home field on Crocodile Isle, and he has a new plethora of moves and a new name for himself. As "Kaptain K. Rool", he is able to use his high-tech hand cannon to shoot cannonballs and barrels that can go straight, bounce, or even twirl through the air! He can also use this cannon to shoot out mysterious puffs of smoke that inflict strange effects upon you based on their colour. These include freezing you in place and disorienting you by reversing your controls. This cannon can also suck in objects and shoot out flames that can be used to boost K. Rool across the stage.

Donkey Kong Country 3, Dixie's Double Trouble: The game that completed the original trilogy appeared not to have brought back the notorious K. Rool. However, in the end in turned out he had been hiding in an invention he had made: A giant metal robotic suit called K.A.O.S.

After breaking the suit, K. Rool comes out as "Baron K. Roolenstein". It seems K.A.O.S. isn't his only new invention, either. He has also made a jetpack-like device that uses a helicopter rotor to allow him to fly around.

Donkey Kong 64: In the first 3D Donkey Kong game, K. Rool returns yet again. This time he is the great boxer, "King Krusha K. Rool". This quirky boss fight has you fighting him as he throws punches at the various Kongs (and you take a strange trip inside of him as Tiny).

Other: There are other aspects of the Donkey Kong Country games where K. Rool originated that have yet to be integrated into smash. K. Rool could gain the ability to do anything from summoning his Kremling minions, to riding in a minecart, to blasting out of a barrel!

K. Rool has the best moveset potential for a character out of almost anyone, including those already included in the game! There are literally no reasons why he doesn't deserve a spot, and the only reason he wouldn't are no fault of his own.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes the one about the character placement. One of Pieman or Arcadenik made it last summer and I'd like to see the essay.
Yeah I think that was ArcadeNik. I'll go digging for it though!

@SSBF

I just snet Nik a PM, digging through over 2000 pages isn't easy. At all.

TBone06

Smash Ace
King K. Rool

Kaptain K. Rool

Baron K. Roolenstein

King Krusha K. Rool

All are the same person. All add a variety of moveset potential for what many see as the next priority to be added to a smash game. K. Rool is really up there in the top tier of who should be present in the next Smash Brothers game. Just to show the vast amount of possibilities that K. Rool could use in his moveset:

Donkey Kong Country: In the original game, K. Rool wore a crown and a cape and called himself "King K. Rool". In the final boss encounter, he could roll his crown along the ground as a projectile attack, do a barreling charge attack, and leap up in the air to fall down and crush enemies. This leaping could also cause cannonballs to fall from the ceilling.

Donkey Kong Country 2, Diddy's Kong Quest: In the sequel to DKC, K. Rool returns again. This time he is at home field on Crocodile Isle, and he has a new plethora of moves and a new name for himself. As "Kaptain K. Rool", he is able to use his high-tech hand cannon to shoot cannonballs and barrels that can go straight, bounce, or even twirl through the air! He can also use this cannon to shoot out mysterious puffs of smoke that inflict strange effects upon you based on their colour. These include freezing you in place and disorienting you by reversing your controls. This cannon can also suck in objects and shoot out flames that can be used to boost K. Rool across the stage.

Donkey Kong Country 3, Dixie's Double Trouble: The game that completed the original trilogy appeared not to have brought back the notorious K. Rool. However, in the end in turned out he had been hiding in an invention he had made: A giant metal robotic suit called K.A.O.S.

After breaking the suit, K. Rool comes out as "Baron K. Roolenstein". It seems K.A.O.S. isn't his only new invention, either. He has also made a jetpack-like device that uses a helicopter rotor to allow him to fly around.

Donkey Kong 64: In the first 3D Donkey Kong game, K. Rool returns yet again. This time he is the great boxer, "King Krusha K. Rool". This quirky boss fight has you fighting him as he throws punches at the various Kongs (and you take a strange trip inside of him as Tiny).

Other: There are other aspects of the Donkey Kong Country games where K. Rool originated that have yet to be integrated into smash. K. Rool could gain the ability to do anything from summoning his Kremling minions, to riding in a minecart, to blasting out of a barrel!

K. Rool has the best moveset potential for a character out of almost anyone, including those already included in the game! There are literally no reasons why he doesn't deserve a spot, and the only reason he wouldn't are no fault of his own.

100000000% true. This shows his potential. Lets hope DKCR didn't screw him over for Smash

TBone06

Smash Ace
Gangplank Galleon would totally be K. Rool's stage.
I always imagined his stage as the pirate ship in the first one, but since Toon Link got the pirate ship, it makes it a less likely possibility. Still the possibilities are endless for possible stages. I've been a DK fan all my life so I've thought about this one for a while, Gangplank would be tons of fun to play on. Also his plane in DKC2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool and Mewtwo are my only true wishes for new characters. Dixie would be cool to, but just one new DK character would probably be enough. We don't even know if there will even be more characters this time so I'm not having great hopes. Maybe because there is actual customising in characters this time they might want to keep the character number low, but have more customisation instead.

Personally I'm thinking about 30~40 characters would be perfect, taking they are actually balanced RIGHT this time. Meta Knight was pure over kill in Brawl. I don't know how Sakurai plays Smash, but surely he knew Meta Knight would have his advantages in a 1 vs 1 itemless battle?

Before I want to say which characters should be added, I'd like to say which ones I personally think could be axed to make up space for better balance, and more customising. I'd rather have say... Samus or Link with a lot of their actual game abilities (missiles, beams, arrows, swords, bombs ect.) than having a new character. So having said that, I think I could live without the following characters:

R.O.B., Zero Suit Samus, Zelda/Sheik (or rather have Zelda stay, Sheik gone), Lucario, Snake, Sonic, Jigglypuff, Ness / Lucas (keep one), Ganondorf (they won't change him anyway... >_>) and Pokemon Trainer.

Not saying all should go, but being truthful how long would they take to develop a game like this anyways? 2,3 years is pretty long, dunno how long they took with Brawl, but if they make 2 versions, add customising, and have even more 1 player options I'm sure it'll take longer to make than Brawl. Also balancing would take some months?

TBone06

Smash Ace
LOL.

Btw, I don't think anyone has mentioned Banjo and Kazooie. Odd.
He's owned by Rare which is now owned by Microsoft so it'd be pretty tough to get rights for him. Although he would be an amazing character for Smash. I love B&K. It's just too bad he's owned my Microsoft. If he's 1st party, he's definitely already in the game, he's got perfect move potential and he's 100% unique.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
He's owned by Rare which is now owned by Microsoft so it'd be pretty tough to get rights for him. Although he would be an amazing character for Smash. I love B&K. It's just too bad he's owned my Microsoft. If he's 1st party, he's definitely already in the game, he's got perfect move potential and he's 100% unique.
Pretty much this.

I honestly would love to have Banjo and Kazooie in the next upcoming Smash, but that's a slim to none chance right here and now though, due to copyright issues with Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom