• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Oh the Dojo >:/ I still like the idea of Sakurai just doing a longer version of his fanmail reading.
Maybe he should do like Ono does and answer questions on his Twitter, complete with his cats covering over game content to troll everyone.

If anything I think we should have 1-2 newcomers be playable, and possibly Jiggs and Luigi be hidden, because let's just look it this logically, Jiggs has every reason and all likelyhood to return.
At this point, I think the original twelve should be available from the get-go. I'm still curious as to why Capt. Falcon and Ness were starter characters in Melee.

Also, I think they should go with the tradition of having four/five newcomers available in the starting roster like in Melee and how Brawl should've been.

@SSBFan
Replayability comes from the multiplayer. Making more characters unlockable just makes that part longer, it doesn't increase replay value. Tring to get S on all Sonic levels is replay value. Making it longer to unlock all characters doesn't.

Steam

Smash Hero
Yes your argument is faulty.

You: Hits mean that the character is well liked/relevant.

Me: Hits can mean anything ranging from love to hate to not knowing who the character is.

You: It can work the opposite way too.

Me: How can it work the opposite way when I just listed all the possibilities?

You then either don't respond or ignore what I said and repeat your argument even though I showed how it is a fallacy.
I meant it could apply to mewtwo the saaaame way.

though I admited it wasn't a perfect resource many times. but probably more credible than anything else. *shrug*

also you be ragin

also all pokemon are female 100% of the time

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Too bad we really don't have another truely outstanding Zelda character. Besides TooncloneZelda. People need to look past the freakin' hate on some characters. I only permit hate for Waluigi, because he's an idiot.
I can personally see Tingle as an assist character, but not a playable character. As for Zelda characters, what about the oracles? Skull Kid? There're a few characters from Zelda I feel could be made playable.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
@Reffy

Just ignore him. Anyways, I think it's safe to say playing 900 brawls wasn't easy!
Yeah you're right, no sense on feeding the troll. Wait are you still talking about Mewtwo? I thought all you have to do is play the game for 24 hours total.

also you be ragin

also all pokemon are female 100% of the time

Please stop trying to instigate anger from me or else I will report you. That is all I'm going to say.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
@SSBFan
Replayability comes from the multiplayer. Making more characters unlockable just makes that part longer, it doesn't increase replay value. Tring to get S on all Sonic levels is replay value. Making it longer to unlock all characters doesn't.
But when you unlock a character, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and if there's that player you've desperately wanted to play that made it but isn't available from the start, it makes it feel that much better to play as that character. I probably wouldn't played with Sonic as much if he wasn't available from the start.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I agree actually. A large portion of replay value from brawl was chopped when I unlocked all but 3 characters from one simple SSE run. The three I didn't get were Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf of course, but they were still incredibly easy to obtain from the SSE after completion.

I'm hoping for the return of Event Matches, Classic Clears, and other unique ways to unlock characters. The achievement system that gave us songs, trophies, and stages could be a great way to do this.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Maybe he should do like Ono does and answer questions on his Twitter, complete with his cats covering over game content to troll everyone.
For the record, Shortiecanbrawl likes cats. And now, he likes Ono.

I don't see jigglypuff ever being automaticlly unlocked. She serves as the "tutorial" on how to unlock people
I sort of second this, but she could be in it from the get go and I really wouldn't care.

I can personally see Tingle as an assist character, but not a playable character. As for Zelda characters, what about the oracles? Skull Kid? There're a few characters from Zelda I feel could be made playable.
Now don't get me wrong on this because I love Majora, Vaati and Midna. . . it seems that these one time Zelda villains never make the cut. With that being said I would like to point out that we have never in Smash ran out of major characters to add, so this could very well change.

Also, I think they should go with the tradition of having four/five newcomers available in the starting roster like in Melee and how Brawl should've been.
Meet me halfway at 3 and I'll agree be happy. How many did Melee get again?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
But when you unlock a character, it gives you a sense of accomplishment and if there's that player you've desperately wanted to play that made it but isn't available from the start, it makes it feel that much better to play as that character. I probably wouldn't played with Sonic as much if he wasn't available from the start.
Yes this! ^^^^^^ Unlocking a character/stage is much more rewarding then just getting a trophy when you complete a task. This motivates the player to actually to try to complete all the modes available.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't see jigglypuff ever being automaticlly unl

:phone:
Well it was the first unlockable in SSB64 and Melee. However, it was strangely one of the last unlockables in Brawl.

3rd parties are meant to be unlockables, in general. Though I was baffled as to why Shadow Moses Island was a starter stage in Brawl.

In general though, having unlockables does offer you rewards for achieving certain tasks.

D

Deleted member

Meet me halfway at 3 and I'll agree be happy. How many did Melee get again?
There was four Melee newcomers from the start.
Yes this! ^^^^^^ Unlocking a character/stage is much more rewarding then just getting a trophy when you complete a task. This motivates the player to actually to try to complete all the modes available.
It's also why I would be okay with the method of getting matches to face off characters being completely eliminated so that some people will actually try the single player mode (Although it should be limited to around Melee's level) or bumping up the difficulty.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
It's also why I would be okay with the method of getting matches to face off characters being completely eliminated so that some people will actually try the single player mode (Although it should be limited to around Melee's level).
I wouldn't say it should be get rid of. People shouldn't be punished for playing only the core mode (Multiplayer). However, they should be encouraged to try out the other modes which is why I think the player should be required to complete more matches though before they start unlocking characters. To completely eliminate this way of unlocking characters would be taking it too far.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree actually. A large portion of replay value from brawl was chopped when I unlocked all but 3 characters from one simple SSE run. The three I didn't get were Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf of course, but they were still incredibly easy to obtain from the SSE after completion.

I'm hoping for the return of Event Matches, Classic Clears, and other unique ways to unlock characters. The achievement system that gave us songs, trophies, and stages could be a great way to do this.
The Subspace Emissary did erase the pressure of dealing with challenger matches though. After all, it would be embarrassing to complete a very hard task to unlock a challenger, and end up losing the match and not getting that challenger.

That's why alternate methods were implemented in Melee and Brawl. Of course, Melee required you to play 1000 VS matches to get everyone, while Brawl was less than half that amount.

Steam

Smash Hero
Yeah you're right, no sense on feeding the troll. Wait are you still talking about Mewtwo? I thought all you have to do is play the game for 24 hours total.

Please stop trying to instigate anger from me or else I will report you. That is all I'm going to say.
not my fault you get mad when you get proven wrong to any degree. <3

you take this too seriously

refugee

Smash Journeyman
not my fault you get mad when you get proven wrong to any degree. <3

you take this too seriously
I was talking about your last two parts. The first two parts were fine. You really should learn how to read the post before you respond to it.

D

Deleted member

Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
The Subspace Emissary did erase the pressure of dealing with challenger matches though. After all, it would be embarrassing to complete a very hard task to unlock a challenger, and end up losing the match and not getting that challenger.

That's why alternate methods were implemented in Melee and Brawl. Of course, Melee required you to play 1000 VS matches to get everyone, while Brawl was less than half that amount.
There was nothing difficult about unlocking the four characters in the original game. Also, unlocking characters should not have taken me less then a week for me to do in Brawl so for the next game, I'm expecting that I get that task done in no less then two weeks. Melee had a much more sense of challenge then Brawl did and I want to see that back.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Has anybody talked over how the character models will be in Smash 4 or the voices?

For example, imo, I find Fox to be ridiculous looking in Brawl. I think this picture sums it up nicely.

There's other changes that I find bad but I'll just mention Fox for now.

Now, onto voices, I hate the fact that Diddy Kong sounds like an actual monkey. What happened to Diddy's voice from DK 64? Again, I'll stop here with character voices.

Life

Smash Hero
SSBF, I disagree. Melee's secret characters were not really difficult (maybe Falco, given the chance of item explosions or increasingly OP MMM AI killing you), just grindy. (Run through Classic/TT with everybody! Do a bunch of easy events! Beat the first level with a 2 at the end of the timer! Plug in four controllers overnight! :mewtwo: As opposed to Brawl, which was "Beat SSE and then find three secret levels". Also easy, but not nearly so grindy.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There was nothing difficult about unlocking the four characters in the original game. Also, unlocking characters should not have taken me less then a week for me to do in Brawl so for the next game, I'm expecting that I get that task done in no less then two.
If you're a hardcore multiplayer person, you should still be awarded for the amount of matches played. Of course, Melee did that much better than Brawl. In other words...

1: 50
2: 100
3: 200
4: 300
5: 400
6: 500
7: 600
8: 700
9: 800
10: 900
11: 1000
12: 1100
13: 1200
14: 1300
15: 1400
16: 1500
17: 1600
18: 1700
19: 1800
20: 1900
21: 2000
22: 2100
23: 2200
24: 2300
25: 2500

The last unlockable would require you to play 200 additional matches, which would imply that you're down to just one more fighter to unlock.

On a side note, in Mario Kart Wii, you'd have to play over 5000 races to unlock everything without doing GPs, Time Trials, or Wi-Fi.

splat

Smash Lord
Has anybody talked over how the character models will be in Smash 4 or the voices?

For example, imo, I find Fox to be ridiculous looking in Brawl. I think this picture sums it up nicely.
This is Brawl Fox:

it's indeed based on the first version of the image you posted, but higher-res.
Video game characters are often change a bit - the basic design stays the same, but fitted in a style that matches the new game..

D

Deleted member

If you're a hardcore multiplayer person, you should still be awarded for the amount of matches played. Of course, Melee did that much better than Brawl. In other words...

1: 50
2: 100
3: 200
4: 300
5: 400
6: 500
7: 600
8: 700
9: 800
10: 900
11: 1000
12: 1100
13: 1200
14: 1300
15: 1400
16: 1500
17: 1600
18: 1700
19: 1800
20: 1900
21: 2000
22: 2100
23: 2200
24: 2300
25: 2500

The last unlockable would require you to play 200 additional matches, which would imply that you're down to just one more fighter to unlock.

On a side note, in Mario Kart Wii, you'd have to play over 5000 races to unlock everything without doing GPs, Time Trials, or Wi-Fi.
That's much better then what we got in Brawl. At least depending on the difficulty, people will get a challenge either way.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
This is Brawl Fox:

it's indeed based on the first version of the image you posted, but higher-res.
Video game characters are often change a bit - the basic design stays the same, but fitted in a style that matches the new game..
Not really. Or at least in the case of Smash. The style is usually changed to reflect a recent game (e.g., Link, Ganondorf)

There has not been a game for Starfox in years. I'm thinking they just changed the character model just for the sake of changing it and making it look "new" but imo, I think that was a step back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What you say about Fox is purely your opinion, so it isn't really relevant. I prefer commands smooth artstyle.

Well, getting the last few secret levels in Melee wasn't easy. Even using cheap tricks in 15 minute Melee is hard. I was like eleven when Melee came out, soooooo I didn't cheat to get Mewtwo. I just stumbled upon him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

There's other changes that I find bad but I'll just mention Fox for now.

Now, onto voices, I hate the fact that Diddy Kong sounds like an actual monkey. What happened to Diddy's voice from DK 64? Again, I'll stop here with character voices.
Personally I thought Fox got messed up after Assault.

Regarding Diddy, he was given monkey sounds to make him sound more realistic in a fighting game. The same also applies to Donkey Kong and Bowser.

Yoshi maintained his cartoonish voice, since his character does not go well with actual animal sounds.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Well, getting the last few secret levels in Melee wasn't easy. Even using cheap tricks in 15 minute Melee is hard. I was like eleven when Melee came out, soooooo I didn't cheat to get Mewtwo. I just stumbled upon him.
Which made it fun once you did get them. And I fine that's the best way to get a character, to just stumble upon them and be like "Whoa!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Which made it fun once you did get them. And I fine that's the best way to get a character, to just stumble upon them and be like "Whoa!"
This is one of the many things, even the comboing system and balance issues aside, that Brawl really missed the mark on.

Melee just got a lot right. Not everything mind you, but a lot.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Personally I thought Fox got messed up after Assault.

Regarding Diddy, he was given monkey sounds to make him sound more realistic in a fighting game. The same also applies to Donkey Kong and Bowser.

Yoshi maintained his cartoonish voice, since his character does not go well with actual animal sounds.
Haha, Yoshi's voice is iconic. I highly doubt they'll ever change his voice. I find voices to add to their character/personality. If I were to hear Diddy's Brawl voice without knowing it's in Brawl, I would think it's just a monkey. If I heard Diddy's voice from say, DK 64, I would immediately recognize it's Diddy but not exactly because I'm used to it, but because it's a voice unique to and only Diddy.

Steam

Smash Hero
they should make yoshi so that he makes dolphin noises.

and diddy so he sounds like a steamboat

and lucario needs a clown laugh

and kirby should make motorcycle noises

because we just do that here

refugee

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the many things, even the comboing system and balance issues aside, that Brawl really missed the mark on.

Melee just got a lot right. Not everything mind you, but a lot.
Yeah Brawl really missed the element of surprise. We can thank not only how characters were unlocked for this but also Dojo for revealing practically every thing a few months before the game was even released.

I got admit though, one thing Brawl did get right were the characters themselves. The clones weren't as bad.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
they should make yoshi so that he makes dolphin noises.

and diddy so he sounds like a steamboat

and lucario needs a clown laugh

and kirby should make motorcycle noises

because we just do that here
And have Sonic's voice be monotonous :awesome:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@Omegy

I like those stage ideas a lot. I was thinking of Bowser's castle from Mario Kart 64, would anybody mind that version? Also, pokemon Coliseum is a great Idea, but I hope we get something more unique or interesting from Pokemon, like we did with Spear Pillar, Saffron City, and Pokefloats. Lastly, that Sonic game actually looks cool and I'm not a Sonic fan. I'm down with that level.

My second pokemon stage ideas:

Burned Tower - Pokemon GSCHGSS

Bell Tower - Pokemon GSCHGSS

Victini's Lighthouse Pokemon BW
Those are some nice ideas, especially the Burned Tower idea, if Suicune, Entei, and Raikou showed up and randomly attack that would be interesting.

Also as far as Mario reps go are in:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach
Yoshi

these characters in order for most likely:

Bowser Jr.
Toad
Paper Mario
Wart

Rosalina may be popular but she is still fairly new to the SMG series besides, isn't a major character

Daisy should stay as Peach's alt. costume, it's been like that since Melee, besides she isn't popular aside from sport titles, same goes for Waluigi, not unique enough.

DK Series:

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong ( may or may not be like Brawl)

Dixie Kong Brawl files prove that at one point during Brawl's development, she was considered to be playable, we cannot completly confirm if she and Diddy were meant to be a tag team or not, but as far as I can tell, she will most likely make an apperance of some sort.

K.Rool may have been absent in Donkey Kong Returns, but that doesn't rule him out automatically, he's been praised by many fans as a fan favorite, plus is a popular villain, revelance IMO doesn't play a factor considering retro or popular characters such as K.Rool.

:phone:

Steam

Smash Hero
I really really really doubt the DK series will see four character reps :/

as a spinoff series they're lucky as is to get two MAYBE 3 considering metroid for example still only technically has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom