• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Fox edge recovery?

riboflavinbob

Smash Apprentice
I was randomly playing on training mode.

I pressed the jump button while on the edge.

While the edge jump was being performed, I shined and then the jump was canceled. So it was like a slide from hanging to standing on the ground with a shine.

It could be kinda useful i guess in some situations because theres less risk of getting spiked than a normal shine return type of recovery. And theres close to no lag after the shine on the ground so you can do a surprise tilt, jab... and maybe a smash.

If not done properly however you might just shine in mid air really close over the ground, but a quick nair could follow.

This recovery could be used as an alternative on stages with platforms like battlefield ,i guess, because if a normal jump recovery were done there would be risk of landing above the enemy with a perfect setup for an usmash or tilt and if a shine return were done (on any stage) you could be spiked easily for a waiting enemy.

I thought it was a bit hard to do at first, but if you just spam the shine once the jump animations starts and if the timing is right then you'll end up immediately on the stage with a shine, ready to attack.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Not exactly new, it's just acting out of the first frame of your ledge jump. Any move that changes aerial momentum will cause you to land with your feet on the stage doing this. This is how you ledgejump b reverse nayru's to shove someone that's edgeguarding offstage if you're zelda or go from hanging from the ledge to countering as ike or marth. But if you're recovering from that angle why wouldnt you do something much safer, like fair.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
You uh... ledge jump and do nothing (if you shine earlier than the first frame you can act in), or ledge jump and shine late.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
It's nothing new; it's a gimmick that'll maybe work once per match.

Meh. Mindgame it all you want, but it's still kind of silly, as it doesn't do much for spacing or position.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
You can't really mindgame it. It's end result is pretty much like most of the other ledge recoveries.

Fitty

Smash Cadet
Not nothing new i think its called jump cancelled shine but atleast you noticed it

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
At least he had the initiative to waste space and time on the forum by asking all of us whether this was good and practical instead of going and getting smashed in a game every time he gets up on the edge to test it, that's something to admire here. Even so he's a level above 90% of the Fox boards, who would have instead joined the nearest matchup discussion he could find and post how this is uncounterable by any move that they have.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
At least he had the initiative to waste space and time on the forum by asking all of us whether this was good and practical instead of going and getting smashed in a game every time he gets up on the edge to test it, that's something to admire here. Even so he's a level above 90% of the Fox boards, who would have instead joined the nearest matchup discussion he could find and post how this is uncounterable by any move that they have.
How come he couldn't use the Fox Q&A discussion?

Top Bottom