• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New discovery: Infinite jumping with most characters! (STOP POSTING, USE NEW THREAD)

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
I decided to come up with actual USES for this technique. *gasp* Here are the ones I can think of:

1. Approaching projectile spammers who sit in one place and spam projectiles. ISJR allows you to approach them, air dodge projectile, continue ISJRing with high priority move, reach them in a few seconds, then kick their ***.*

*Requires practice of technique.

2. Creating a wall of attacks with some characters. Most noticeable are C.Falcon's Fair (I think it works last time I checked), Gannondorf's dair, Snake's dair, and... Yoshi's vertical wall of bairs. Up and down, bair, bair, bair... Joy.*

*Requires practice of technique. Hell, all of them requires some practice. I'll just assume you know that from now on.

3. With a character with high double jump, keep your opponent up in the air.

4. Mess around in between stocks.

5. Keep a drumroll of aerials going with some characters. Different than the wall I mentioned earlier in the fact that you move towards the opponent earlier, while with the wall you mostly stayed in place. Includes the dairs I mention earlier, and pretty much most aerials that work that will hit the opponent.

Now that I'm done being Captain Obvious, last but not least...

6. Since it apparently works with air dodges, you can advance with... air dodges. Joy. The use here is that you don't have to jump again, so you have less vulnerablity frames overall, basically. Should still be used with caution though.

Okay that was Captain Obvious too. Meh.

7. Make scrubs go 'WTF R U DOING HACKR! CHEET! NOOB!' >.>;

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Beautiful post. Exciting new technique, lots of details and in-depth information. Jump Renewal looks like it could have a big impact on the way Brawl evolves. Pika's QAC has proven useful for him, and other characters might benefit just as much from having Jump Renewals of their own. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Tetsuro

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been brought up at all, but it seems that you can ledge hop this technique as well, at least with Fox.

I was just trying this out in a few different situations, and discovered that Fox's high double jump combined with his Fair (which keeps him afloat briefly when timed right) allows him enough time to pull this off after dropping off a ledge and double jumping.

The only real problem is that it seems like the Fair goes too high, and would go over the head of anybody guarding right at the edge.

It could be useful though, if other characters can pull it off.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been brought up at all, but it seems that you can ledge hop this technique as well, at least with Fox.

I was just trying this out in a few different situations, and discovered that Fox's high double jump combined with his Fair (which keeps him afloat briefly when timed right) allows him enough time to pull this off after dropping off a ledge and double jumping.

The only real problem is that it seems like the Fair goes too high, and would go over the head of anybody guarding right at the edge.

It could be useful though, if other characters can pull it off.
I thought of it too. :) Many characters can do it from a ledgehop, actually, basically those with decent double jumps and a quick aerial. Makes it even more useful... :D Thanks for mentioning it, almost forgot about it.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
After practicing this last night after posting that video it felt like I had carpal tunnel lmao, this technique is really physical demanding!

Hopefully we can see some videos of people using this in matches or even just in training mode juggling the cpu around. I can just see it now a few months from now all the Marth dittos will be two players constantly jumping around spamming F-air and whatnot at each other.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
After practicing this last night after posting that video it felt like I had carpal tunnel lmao, this technique is really physical demanding!

Hopefully we can see some videos of people using this in matches or even just in training mode juggling the cpu around. I can just see it now a few months from now all the Marth dittos will be two players constantly jumping around spamming F-air and whatnot at each other.
ISJR: The new Marth approach. ISJR is here to bring you more Marth sillyness as he hops around spamming silly moves at you. It comes in four flavors: Nair, Fair, Bair, and Uair. Enjoy watching as you roll past him... and he changes direction on the fly! Watch as he jumps over you projectiles, then when you jump and shoot one at him, he just runs under it and kicks your butt!

Brought to you by: Brawl, a year into the future.

EDIT: Really, that'll happen a year from now. Just watch, you know it to be true.

Catmurderer

Smash Rookie
How well can Pika chain fairs with this... I mean like a QUAC to several fairs in a row is going to give the rat crazy speed.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
ISJR: The new Marth approach. ISJR is here to bring you more Marth sillyness as he hops around spamming silly moves at you. It comes in four flavors: Nair, Fair, Bair, and Uair. Enjoy watching as you roll past him... and he changes direction on the fly! Watch as he jumps over you projectiles, then when you jump and shoot one at him, he just runs under it and kicks your butt!

Brought to you by: Brawl, a year into the future.
hahaha I love it

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
How well can Pika chain fairs with this... I mean like a QUAC to several fairs in a row is going to give the rat crazy speed.
Well, it'd cover quite some distance unless you reversed it half way through (which you can do, otherwise on some stages, there's a chance you could go off the edge).

Once you got the hang of it, I'd say... quite well. Check the list: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

IIRC, Pikachu can ISJR ALL of his aerials. Silly rat. I officially unofficially declare Pikachu as an underrated mouse that's easy to learn, stupidly hard to master as of now.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^Whar are you talking about man. Pikachu is sooooo easy to master. All you have to do is remember to press down on the control stick. Here let me list them for you: Down Smash, Down B (thunder), QAC at a downward angle, spotdodge->d smash. The list is endless lol :laugh:

Getting to more serious business. Although Makkun is testing out all aerials via buffering air dodge, would it be right to assume that later on more specific testing will be needed for each characters aerials? Just b/c its theoretically possible, there are always those weird ones like tink's bair with strange timing. I'm thinking maybe each character specific discussion thread should compile a video w/ all aerials of that character being SJR'd.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
^Whar are you talking about man. Pikachu is sooooo easy to master. All you have to do is remember to press down on the control stick. Here let me list them for you: Down Smash, Down B (thunder), QAC at a downward angle, spotdodge->d smash. The list is endless lol :laugh:

Getting to more serious business. Although Makkun is testing out all aerials via buffering air dodge, would it be right to assume that later on more specific testing will be needed for each characters aerials? Just b/c its theoretically possible, there are always those weird ones like tink's bair with strange timing. I'm thinking maybe each character specific discussion thread should compile a video w/ all aerials of that character being SJR'd.
Yeah, more testing will probably be done later. With videos. To spend hours picking apart frames on single moves for no reason whatsoever. ;)

But really, yeah. We won't see how much of an impact it'll have on the metagame til a few months to a year. It'll take a while to learn this, since the timing is so hard at first. =P But character specific discussion on this will probably occur.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
i dont understand how this is useful
Its not clear right now. There are plenty of theories as to how this can be used, but nothing substantial as of yet. Most people look at the obvious usage being juggling. Since Brawl has very little hit stun, people can airdodge quickly out of attacks, making it nearly impossible to juggle with many attacks. But the ISJR may provide that little extra bit of speed necessary to juggle your opponent well. Although that has yet to be determined as well.

We'll see if this is another one of those "Looked like it could be useful at first" techniques, or something we can actually apply. In the end, it will require someone to truly feel like this is worth something, train to do it consistently, apply it well in tournaments, and we'll be watching a video a year later where someone shows us that the ISJR is actually practical and useful. But who knows what the future has in store.

Sliq

Smash Master
Can someone upload a vid of doing it with Ganon. I've been trying for like a while with no results, and I want to see what it looks like so I can imitate it, like some crazy smash mime.

Catmurderer

Smash Rookie
Well, I was really discouraged about how hard this thing is to do, but then I tried it with Pika's bair. The helicopter really shows if you did it correctly and the level which you are doing it correctly:

Fail- Rat spins like a top on the ground
OK- Rat flies back into the air but with dust :<
GOOD!- Rat flies back into the air without dust!

(For Pika's back air its becoming almost natural... and I've practiced for about 20 min.)
To do it I dont use tap jump. I double jump and start the bair about when I do pika's double jump. Then right before Pika lands, I jump again and Pika does it (did it three times in a row a few seconds ago xD ).

Dont give up! This could be really helpful for a few characters!

EDIT: As to why this could be helpful...

Based on Pika's helicopter, the reason why this is important is because it allows for you to combo people straight into another bair in Pika's case. And the difference between doing the technique perfectly without dust and doing it imperfectly with dust is extremely important because if you perform it perfectly then you can continue to bair. If dust shoots out of you then once you bair again then you will have massive landing lag due to Pika's spin.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, the list isn't 100% accurate, so real testing is going to be needed on every single move, however that would take a ridiculous amount of time. *__* That's one reason I made the thread for the list, so people can discuss the technique and help me figure out mistakes I made in the list. :p

There were a lot of aerials that were too close with the air dodge, so I'm not so sure.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^That's why I'm saying maybe each character specific discussion thread should concentrate on just their character. Also b/c there are requests to see _______ doing SJR with all their aerials.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I really dont see how this WONT end up being applicable to at least a few chracters and some of their aerials. I think it would be a great help with chracters that have a long landing animation or a very slow initial jumping animation. But thats just speculation. Either way the chances of this being totally useless are quite small in my opinion.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I predict that this tech will have the most impact on the meta game of those chars with disjointed hitboxes. Marth, Metaknight, Ness, to name a few. Link might get the most out of this. The reason why I think they will have some of the best application of this technique is because shield grabbing people like Marth and Ness is hard to do already, imagine trying to do it if they can stay ranged without hitting the floor. This will be the future of some characters, I think.

noodles

Smash Champion
we need someone extremely technical to test this... where's m2k? lol

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I keep trying to do this, and I get maybe one out of every 40-50. THis is really relaly hard.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I understand the principle behind how this works, but for the people buffering air dodges, does that mean you can use an air dodge in place of an aerial, and still continually jump?

Lied

Smash Rookie
No you're not, sorry. ):

You're landing. You'll know you do it right when you DON'T see the dust clouds.
Ah OK. I actually remember once or twice when I didn't have those clouds but I thought I was just seeing (or not seeing) things. Back to trying!

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Ah OK. I actually remember once or twice when I didn't have those clouds but I thought I was just seeing (or not seeing) things. Back to trying!
Yeah I'm still practicing. XDD I could do it yesterday but now it's hard again. T___T

I wanna get some videos up.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
can someone confirm if ike can do it? if so , could you tell me with which moves it works and if it is usefull with him? i wont be able to play brawl for a week so i want to know...

EDIT: Thanks for letting me know. I hope ike isn't left out of possibly the game-breaking AT we have all been waiting for.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
can someone confirm if ike can do it? if so , could you tell me with which moves it works and if it is usefull with him? i wont be able to play brawl for a week so i want to know...
The list shows which moves Ike SHOULD be able to do or not do with this technique. However, Ike was probably the hardest to tell, so it's not 100% accurate. I'm pretty sure his Bair can use this at least.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
For Ike I would also say that it is impossible to do the nair. As all Ike mainers know although the nair auto cancels it also has a ridiculous amount of air lag. So I'm going to guess that it would be impossible to do it. However, the only thing that makes me hesitant to say its impossible. Is b/c the ISJ basically works b/c the game thinks the character is on the ground when he isn't. So does that also mean auto cancellable aerials (in general) end 1 frame before the character touches the ground? which would allow you to jump again.

Edit: Wait nvm. W/ Ike he goes into a landing animation while touching the ground w/ nair so I'm guessing its not possible w/ all other auto cancellable aerials. Unless they go into their landing animation 1 frame b4 actually touching the ground and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. O.o that would be strange.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
For Ike I would also say that it is impossible to do the nair. As all Ike mainers know although the nair auto cancels it also has a ridiculous amount of air lag. So I'm going to guess that it would be impossible to do it. However, the only thing that makes me hesitant to say its impossible. Is b/c the ISJ basically works b/c the game thinks the character is on the ground when he isn't. So does that also mean auto cancellable aerials (in general) end 1 frame before the character touches the ground?
This is what I'd like to know. @__@ However we would need some sort of hacking device to get the frame data I believe...

I think the reason SJR works is because the animation ends either on the very last frame BEFORE the autocancel frames, or on the very first autocancel frame. Or possibly the very last one. I wish I knew. >__< It would make things so much more clear.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
I did instant double jumps off the ground (which were the height of, if not slightly lower than, a SJR) and...

...It appears, by the buffer test, only Ike's bair can do it. (buffering a shield roll is what I did, which requires an air dodge, so I buffered two things at once, but the shield roll buffer is what I go by, since it's a lot easier to read)

Only do the ISJR, at least. But ISJRing his bair would probably still be a bit useful. But still... OUCH. Doing a regular SJR would probably still have its uses for Ike though, but his aerials mostly last so long that they don't finish in time. XP Sorry.

EDIT: fixed

Top Bottom