• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I suddenly need to look up the Sonic comics. Thanks for that.

This. If they decide to give the Knuckin' not chucklin brawler from Angel Island a shot in PM, he really needs that sweet hat. That or some sort of traditional echidna garb from the comics.

It's a shame we can't get a Sonic that says the whole "Strange! Isn't it!?" line.
Sonic comics are wieeeerd. Knuckles was apparently a demi-God at one point, had a nice golden armor that would make a fun alt.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He should say it at the start of every dittos match, right before the action.
Unfortunately, it can't be done in this way.
...You know what, there should be an easter egg like this: once you press "You're too slow!" taunt, he becomes fast enough to outrun cars on Big Blue and even SD yourself because of that and everytime he (or just anyone) does anything, he shouts "You're too slow!".

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Unfortunately, it can't be done in this way.
...You know what, there should be an easter egg like this: once you press "You're too slow!" taunt, he becomes fast enough to outrun cars on Big Blue and even SD yourself because of that and everytime he (or just anyone) does anything, he shouts "You're too slow!".
Yeah, I know it's not do-able. But it's still amusing to think about it.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
i think this was the "leak" earlier in the year, with the Sami model of ambiguous fate. one of these details don'[REDACTED].

Sonic comics are wieeeerd. Knuckles was apparently a demi-God at one point, had a nice golden armor that would make a fun alt.
oh man, that sounds like the Penders era.
it's a good thing the entire series got a soft reset, comics Omega is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You must be speaking of Enerjak. I actually thought he would make a great alt if we do so happen to get our Rad Red fella. But preferably the Dark World version, with artistic revisions to make it a suitable alt of course.

That, or Brass Knuckles b'cuz thug life.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I'm retracting my Paper Mario, Dark Samus, and Ninten and replacing Damus with the Masked Man, Ninten with Lyn, and Paper Mario with Rawk Hawk.

Lyn- After seeing how unique and close to my playstyle Lyn can be, I have to ride the bandwagon Issac/Lyn/Ridley hype train.

Masked Man- Mother 3 was an extremely emotionally hard hitting game, and Masked Man has become one of my favorites due to his story, moveset potential, and design. He's a freakin cyborg brother with an arm cannon! It would be nice to see one last rep for Mother and especially because it's a villain.

Rawk Hawk- This one I REALLY want, but we probably won't get him. Why do I want him? For his swagger and epic wresting moves is why! RAWK HAWK FTR

So my upvotes would be:
- Issac
- Lyn
- Ridley
- Masked Man
- Rawk Hawk

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
You must be speaking of Enerjak. I actually thought he would make a great alt if we do so happen to get our Rad Red fella. But preferably the Dark World version, with artistic revisions to make it a suitable alt of course.

That, or Brass Knuckles b'cuz thug life.

Please, for all this is worth something in this world, let Knuckles be a thing just for that Enerjak. I can happily accept the possiblity for our new, red, bespikeknuckled overlords if that can be a thing.

Rawk Hawk- This one I REALLY want, but we probably won't get him. Why do I want him? For his swagger and epic wresting moves is why! RAWK HAWK FTR
Also, this. Its too bad that people who haven't played that game will just... never know. God, Rawk Hawk was hilariously awesome.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Guys, I've kept you all in suspense long enough....

Challenger Approaching!

Lip Moveset Ideas

Suspense with what?A while back I said I would post some character moveset ideas soon.That character is Lip.A while back I realized the potential Lip's moveset could have,and now I come to you with my thoughts.So without further wait,let's get started,shall we?

(On a side note,I have never played Panel De Pon,so this may not properly represent the game,or any other old school puzzle games )

General Playstyle:
Lip has a unique mechanic:due to holding in her hands the Lip's Stick,almost all of her moves inflict a flower upon the head of her victim,which will whittle away their health.Her specialty is in playing keepaway,giving her poison time to do it's deadly work before charging in for the kill.Now don't bring out the pitchforks yet!If handled correctly,instead of being a tedious game of tag,it could become an intriguing mind-game for both players in which they most both play cleverly to win,if designed carefully.
Gimmicks for the Win:
Lip's poison would probably be stronger than that inflicted by an ordinary Lip's Stick,and would probably be unable to be shaken off quickly.The duration of the poison would depend upon the move which inflicted it.Perhaps landing successive hits would result in a poison that is more potent and lasts longer.Once her poison has infected the enemy,Lip would focus on staying away
from the enemy,using her Puzzle Block.This is a block she can create using:GCB:,and it is solid.It is around the girth and height of Mr Game and Watch.pressing :GCB: again would allow Lip to apply force to the block from anywhere on the stage,causing to slide around,even into the air.To prevent unfairness,the move would either have slow startup or bad end-lag,or both.Using this tool,Lip can push the enemy away.Also,if her enemy attempts to attack her and misses,she would be able to punish with a move,inflicting yet more poison.Lip thrives on punishes,like Zelda.

Lip's Strengths and Weaknesses:
Lip specializes in:
  • Playing keep away
  • Punishing mistakes
  • Dealing damage without risking herself
  • Staying in the air;her fall speed is slow and she has good jumps
Lip is bad at:
  • Moving quickly;her movement speed is lacking
  • At surviving;she has light weight
  • Surviving/escaping pressure;as a by-product,most of her moves are slow to come out,so that she cannot simply attack out of a hit
  • Starting a combo;her moves are generally slow on start-up,forcing the player to think to land a combo
Lip's Move Details:
Smashes:
Lip's Smashes are her best flinging moves.However,in order to fling well,she must hit with the Sitck itself.Getting hit by the powder it throws off will only really damage them,unless they are at 40-50%,which could result in a punish even on hit if they are used recklessly early game.
Forward Smash Idea:A two part swing like how Sheik uses the Lip's Stick.If only the first part hits,they are flung lightly enough away so that they can punish Lip.It could also be cloned off Link's normal F-Smash.

Tilts:
Lip's tilts are faster than her Smashes,but still punishable if they are used tactlessly.They fling lightly enough to give Lip a chance to escape,or follow up with a combo.If she hits with the Stick itself,they are stronger in all regards other than end-lag.

Airs:
A huge part of Lip's moveset.Her airs can be used both on the retreat and during a rush,and they are her fastest moves,generally.They are also her biggest combo starters if air cancelled.To compensate,they inflict the weakest poison,and perhaps her N-Air( a rapid grinding twirl? ) does not inflict any poison.

Specials:
These are key to her keepaway game.Here are some ideas:

Neutral:
Crafts a block beneath her.If she is on the ground she leaps to build it beneath her.A subsequent press will give Lip a little boost up if in the air,and she float down slower than usual.She can then maneuver the block as she pleases,even into the air.The block slides around with a lot of friction,requiring experienced control and planning.If an enemy is Smashed against a solid surface by it,they will take damage and ( knockback? ),and the block will vanish.Pressing B again will end the move.This move probably has some end-lag,slow start-up time,or both.
Pressing twice successively will disintegrate the block,and it's pieces will fly in a burst pattern,potentially dealing damage multiple times to the victim and dealing light knockback.

Down:
(This move could be used to disintegrate the block rather than the above method in place of the move below )
Lip plants a flower in the ground.It will stay there for a while,and an enemy who gets to close will be inflicted with poison,and if they actually touch the flower,the flower will vanish,and they will take damage and trip(or fall asleep).Either Lip is slow in planting the flower,or it takes a second for the flower to actually grow and take effect,as it'd be overpowered otherwise.

Side:
Lip sends a spray of small blocks in an outward wave.These are not solid,nor do they deal damage,but they have a windbox that is more powerful the more damage the enemy has sustained.

Up:
A giant flower appears beneath Lip,and she flies upward in a 3rd jump.She can act during this.It's a lot like Sonic's up b.The flower will linger in place and will poison any who venture near.
(Perhaps touching the flower will damage them further/fling them?)

Final Smash:
Unnecessary,but just a quick note:it could be the FS of the Ice Climbers,just with a giant flower instead,and with less reach.The ICs would probably get a new one.

Sadly,this moveset is probably impossible,given limitations.Her Puzzle Block is the biggest obstacle.Perhaps she be cloned off DeDeDe for the Waddle Dees( they're the closest thing an existing fighter has to solid projectiles. )In that case,her block would not be solid but instead like a fighter's body,and can be passed through.

In closing,I hope you alll see the potential Lip has.Even if you don't,thanks for sticking with me this far.:smirk:
Challenger Leaving!

Lip Moveset Ideas END

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
I'll only accept Lip if it means a stage with the possibility for Where Evil Sleeps as bgm. If that is a thing, then instant-like.

I may or may not be too picky about who gets in... >.>

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm really disappointed you guys. You all make it seem like Lyn/Knuckles/Issac/Sami/Ridley is guaranteed but nobody talks about the obvious shoe-in....

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I have such a massive preference for Lightdasher's Lip concepts/gifs that I almost can't see her with anything else. Mesh the normals (Smash attacks) with the Lip flower mechanic in your idea with the special moves from Lightdasher's concept and maybe we'll be on to something @ JayTheUnseen JayTheUnseen

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I have such a massive preference for Lightdasher's Lip concepts/gifs that I almost can't see her with anything else. Mesh the normals (Smash attacks) with the Lip flower mechanic in your idea with the special moves from Lightdasher's concept and maybe we'll be on to something @ JayTheUnseen JayTheUnseen
Hm,can you give me a link to his moveset ideas?There isn't one in the OP.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
While I am extremely grateful to the Project M developers giving us new characters for free, I'm wondering why is the clone engine limited to 7 slots? From what I have heard, it is possible to go well beyond that. I certainly don't expect this to happen since I know how hard it is to make characters. I'm speaking purely hypothetically. Maybe I'm just not understanding the use of the term here.

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
While I am extremely grateful to the Project M developers giving us new characters for free, I'm wondering why is the clone engine limited to 7 slots? From what I have heard, it is possible to go well beyond that. I certainly don't expect this to happen since I know how hard it is to make characters. I'm speaking purely hypothetically. Maybe I'm just not understanding the use of the term here.
Im not entirely sure but I know that there clone engine is far more sophisticated then the ones that go more then 7 theres is limited because they are using the 7 unused character slots

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
They are using other version of clone engine, one that isn't available to public. We don't know how it works, but we know its limited to 7 characters from PMBR.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
Edit : Oh well allright I withdraw what I said.
It's a shame there was a leak, but since it has already been all over the web, I don't understand why we shouldn't talk about it.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
1. if my understanding of the post Roy-reveal blogpost is correct, the version of the Clone Engine the PMDT has made is some kind of coding wizardry that tricks the game into using the 7 slots of the "incomplete/missing" characters on the original Brawl disk for the new characters. it's apparently much less buggy than the one available to the public.

2. 7 characters is a nice amount to add without turning it into too much of a nightmare to keep balanced. this mod is made with a competitive focus, remember.

CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS IN A CHRISTIAN P:M THREAD

man. If I got censored for simply mentioning the "leak" that happened much earlier this year I can just imagine what's going to happen to this post.

If knuckles is a thing I hope they have two alts representing the two original clans.
Dunno about that myself. That's stepping into Penders era comic bullcrap territory.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
1. it's apparently much less buggy than the one avaliable to the public

2. 7 characters is a nice amount to add without turning it into too much of a hassle to balance. this mod is made with a competitive focus, remember.

man. If I got censored for simply mentioning the "leak" that happened much earlier this year I can just imagine what's going to happen to this post.
If you're gonna quote him, at least erase the character names stuff.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Jeez, at least let the post exist for a whole 5 mins before enforcing DA RULZ.
Sorreh. Trying to keep things as hypotheticals so we don't feel the sting of the mighty hammer of mod justice.

Edit: I AM THE LAW! Clearly I am Stalone Judge Dredd,

I was just saying that, if for some reasons purely hypothetical, Knuckles has to be in the game, I would prefer him to look like this :
http://cdn.scratch.mit.edu/static/site/projects/thumbnails/291/4319.png
And not like this :
http://i.imgur.com/oFibl6S.png?1
Big head mode. Make it happen PMDT.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
echidna stuff
ah, point taken on the tribe from sonic adventure. a possible alt based on that look wouldn't be too bad.

however regarding the Nocturnus... really, that's from a game NOBODY wants to remember and won't ever be followed up on by the looks of it. hell, shade there hasn't appeared in another game or even been given passing mention since. and I don't think they got much in the archie comics besides a 5 page adaptation that served as a prequel for the game either.

but really,
hat and glasses from the OVA or bust.

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be weird. I mean, they're Japanese characters. It makes sense for them to speak their own language.
Lets just wait for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. There is a high probability that Marth is gonna get an English VA.
Unless this is the first time a recent Shin Megami Tensei isn't dubbed.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I too would love to see skull kid in PM and looking at what you said @ Hagrid Hagrid I thought of something that could play towards his trickster side. If he did have a dart that he could shoot and had an effect to make your opponent want to move out of the way imediatetly to avoid being stuned or put to sleep or something else that would make them take immediate action to try to avoid the quick dart. Now what im suggesting is that he also had a taunt that begins with the same animation as the dart animation and if the dart could be charged so could this taunt but instead of shooting a dart he plays a note on the flute holds still for a second then laughs because his opponent fell for it. Just before he plays that note he could turn his head to the side for the proper position to play a note. If this was added it would be able to recyle the darts animation but just need the laugh. Releaseing the charged taunt as soon as your opponent dodges out of the way is what the player would want to do. But it would need some balance too so it could maybe drag out his laugh like he cracked him self up giving the opponent an oprotunity to strike. So the Skull Kid player would hope that the opponent fell for it and idealy backed up.
That is actually a fantastic idea! It's suits Skull Kid's personality so well.

I'd imagine he would laugh in the same way he laughs when he plays Links ocarina in the opening cutscene of Majora's Mask.

Skull-Kid-with-Ocarina.jpg

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Lets just wait for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.
I thought you were just saying that to be silly. Then I looked it up. It is a real thing.

wut.

EDIT: No, seriously, wut. Like, the idea of this is sincerely blowing my mind into warped bits. Like... wut.

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
But will this be OG Paper Rawk (Which pretty much had no legs)? or will this be....
This:
He could play similarly to Smash 4 Bowser.
Hell, Bowser stole one of the Rawk's moves for his f-smash.

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I thought you were just saying that to be silly. Then I looked it up. It is a real thing.

wut.

EDIT: No, seriously, wut. Like, the idea of this is sincerely blowing my mind into warped bits. Like... wut.
Yeah it is a real thing. Also Roy is gonna be in the game so he might get a VA too.

And yeah I have no idea either how the hell they came up with the idea either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom