• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
+1 Tom Nook *We need some Animal Crossing Representation.
+1 Black Shadow/Ganondorf *It just makes soo much sense, and works sooo well!
+1 Paper Mario
+1 Micaiah *Magic FE user, we need it!

-1 Ridley (It would just be weird to have him, I feel like Dark Samus would just do the "clone" job better)

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Powerful monologue of Young Link.
I feel like he should be a design mashup of ALBW and Majora Young Link.

Maybe have the head/clothes of ALBW Link and maybe even the Red/Gold sword, but I would want the Termina Shield, and even the Razor Sword if Possible.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Voting Yes:
Ganondorf/Black Shadow - 2 for 1, Ganondorf deserves his own moveset, Black Shadow makes more sense as a clone
Tetra - could incorporate all the things from Wind Waker Toon Link didn't, and is cool
Dark Samus - because Ridley is too big and an clone of Suited-Samus would be amazing
Paper Mario - is Mario but way way different and more interesting
Liquid Snake - because too much Snake is impossible

Dellexe

Smash Rookie
Voting +1.

Black Shadowdorf. Ganon is still a clone despite having a wide array of appearances in games to build a moveset from. Has anyone posted a really comprehensive breakdown of what a more "True" Ganondorf moveset would be like? I'd like to see it, and don't want to dig through 500 pages of stuff. I've got some ideas, but I'd like to see other people's first.

Dark Samus. The perfect clone, pretty much. One of my friends plays Samus and he'd love a faster version of that moveset.

Lyn. I've not played a single Fire Emblem game, but I know of Lyn. Partially because my Fire Emblem playing friend starts freaking out whenever someone gets a Lyn assist trophy in Brawl. Despite being "Another sword user" (Seven sword users is apparently too many already?), she would have a very unique moveset and would be incredibly fun to play.

Micaiah. Light Mage? Nice. Sounds unique already. Also from Fire Emblem? From a game with Ike? My Ike loving friend would be ecstatic.

Holding onto my last vote for now.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Shulk is one of the most serious characters I know in the Nintendo universe. What did they do to him?

He became a meme that day. Not even Ike fighting for his friends and being on roids could outweigh this trending statement.
man, he doesn't even say it with that much gusto in his own game. they really played it up in Sm4sh.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
man, he doesn't even say it with that much gusto in his own game. they really played it up in Sm4sh.
They really wanted to make sure the player knew that he was really feeling it. Apparently the message didn't get conveyed well enough in his own game.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
They really wanted to make sure the player knew that he was really feeling it. Apparently the message didn't get conveyed well enough in his own game.
So, if they will still not be sure that player knows that he is really feeling it, then they will increase amount of that until the point where player will overload from really feeling it?

...Shouldn't "WAAAHHH!! When will he appear in anything OTHER than a party game!?" be replaced with something like "Expected/Wanted a description? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!"?

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So, if they will still not be sure that player knows that he is really feeling it, then they will increase amount of that until the point where player will overload from really feeling it?
Considering today's Pic of the Day, yes.

...Shouldn't "WAAAHHH!! When will he appear in anything OTHER than a party game!?" be replaced with something like "Expected/Wanted a description? TOO BAD! WALUIGI TIME!"?
Nope. It's Reyn Time.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Well I finally got around to getting Project M awhile ago (finding a 2GB SD card these days is a pain) and I'm extremely impressed with what the team has done, both with adding Mewtwo and Roy and changing the existing characters. I can't wait for more.

I'm going to try and be objective in my choices here and actually pretend I'm back in the Brawl speculation days, and I know the whole real roster, but for some reason there are also 5 more spots left.

+1 for Black Shadow/Ganondorf. F-Zero's pinnacle was the years between Melee and Brawl, and I was shocked that not only did it not even get a clone, but that Ganondorf remained as such. On a side note, I absolutely love Ashingda's Ganondorf mod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NND2FZkPjHo) so much that I replaced my game's Ganondorf with it.

+1 for Ridley. I considered voting Dark Samus since I didn't think this would be too feasible (and I've seen some cool hacks with her), but after seeing Bagan's work, this has to happen one way or another. Please, fill the hole in my heart that #11 left me with.

+1 for Sami. Just like F-Zero, no Advance Wars representation (besides the lamest Assist Trophy ever conceived) was a shock to me. I think both Andy and Nell are far better representatives for the series, but I'll throw my lot in with the only one who has a chance.

+1 for Isaac. Not his biggest fan, but I like him well enough and he's another one I feel missed his only real chance with Brawl.

My last vote is a tough decision. As much as I'd like Lip, I figure she's a lost cause. Ray and Saki are also both great gun characters who would work very well (I downloaded the gunslinger ZSS hack and it's so fun), but I can't decide between the two. So I'll go with

+1 Dixie Kong. DK deserves more characters. While I prefer K. Rool as a playable choice much more, I know how hard it is to create characters, and she's one who can reuse a fair amount of Diddy's assets.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I don't really agree, Ridley should be at least equally "demonic", if not more. I mean, compare Bowser and Ridley. Bowser is from a cartoony game, and he himself is a cartoony villain. Ridley is from a much more serious series, and proportionally much more serious himself. Ridley made Samus into what she is now (a ruthless and powerful bounty hunter) by committing genocide on her colony, murdering both of her parents (and possibly consuming them too), and just failing to kill her while she was, if I recall correctly, five years old. He is pretty brutal in the mod too. Two or so grabs involve impaling the victim with his tail. I guess it does kind of solve the issue of Ridley supposedly not being frightening/imposing enough when not huge.

So yeah. But I'll relay the feedback either way.
He can make Ridley look as demonic as he wants to as long as he presents it in proper smash style for a playable character and by proper smash style i mean he should look almost kinda cute like if someone did a chibi version of him. Don't take that the wrong way, he shouldn't have a huge head. He just needs to match the style of the rest of the cast.

Another thing is that no playable smash character in any game hasn't had some sort of personality or human esque presence. Either by body type, animations or even just their eyes. If you look at every smash character, their eyes are pleasant and even when they're not, their body is already human like so we the players are able to mentally connect with the characters making them more enjoyable and overall adding to the experience because they fit in. That's the challenge with Ridley. He's a *realistic* dragon with no sort of human like qualities about him. My suggestion would be to do either one of two things. Change the body to be like i suggested earlier so he's more of a half dragon half human , or just revamp his entire structure to be less menacing and more cute.

Again, i know he's a terrifying character but this is smash bros. This isn't canon. Nothing about smash is terrifying therefore ridley who might be in smash shouldn't be terrifying.

I know i restated a lot of what i said before but i don't think most people understand how big of an impact ridley's style will have on how much the playerbase accepts him.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He can make Ridley look as demonic as he wants to as long as he presents it in proper smash style for a playable character and by proper smash style i mean he should look almost kinda cute like if someone did a chibi version of him. Don't take that the wrong way, he shouldn't have a huge head. He just needs to match the style of the rest of the cast.

Another thing is that no playable smash character in any game hasn't had some sort of personality or human esque presence. Either by body type, animations or even just their eyes. If you look at every smash character, their eyes are pleasant and even when they're not, their body is already human like so we the players are able to mentally connect with the characters making them more enjoyable and overall adding to the experience because they fit in. That's the challenge with Ridley. He's a *realistic* dragon with no sort of human like qualities about him. My suggestion would be to do either one of two things. Change the body to be like i suggested earlier so he's more of a half dragon half human , or just revamp his entire structure to be less menacing and more cute.

Again, i know he's a terrifying character but this is smash bros. This isn't canon. Nothing about smash is terrifying therefore ridley who might be in smash shouldn't be terrifying.

I know i restated a lot of what i said before but i don't think most people understand how big of an impact ridley's style will have on how much the playerbase accepts him.
Remember Ganondorf? The guy who commits genocide, like Ridley, but not on a galactis scale. He is still serious in SSB. He also transforms into a pork train to give you some happy hamm. He also does exactly same thing he did to one of the sages in Twilight Princess as a side B (but character doesn't dies instantly). There is also Giga Bowser, who looks like insane (because of eyes) demonic version of Bowser, that is also a Final Smash and a separate character in Melee (unplayable, but he is still a character). Ridley shouldn't change too much either. This whole seriousness thing can also be fixed easily either with this:

Or with spicy curry animation. Also, he will stop being terrifying when getting hit with a fan of doom, fighting characters like Mario and Kirby and getting Star KOed by them. For the cute part, Ridley sleeping counts. Maybe even Ridley clapping. Ridley should not lose that much of his character.
Its absolutely hilarious when you see something so threatening and creepy

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It would be foolish to not include one.
Foolish for what now? Not including a new character? Considering the amount of model work they have done on all the current characters costumes, the animation tweaks, new stages, redesigned stages, All-Stars Battle Mode, and other things we likely don't know of, you consider something as minor as a new character not being immediately implemented to be foolish?

Count your blessings man. Though these types of things may not hype you up like others, they certainly hype many other people. They've already did enough by adding Mewtwo and Roy, as well as reviving Melee-Esq game mechanics. Anything from here on out is just gravy on top.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven

I want Black Shadow in the game

but I don't want Ganon's moveset to change

what do I do

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Vote for Black Shadow/Ganondorf and you'll still have Ganon's moveset in Black Shadow.
but I don't want Ganon's moveset to change
He clearly stated he didn't want Ganondorf's moveset to change. Honestly, the only solution is to just not vote on Black Shadow if you want Ganondorf to stay the same. Because it is kind of hard to imagine Black Shadow being anything but what Ganondorf is right now. And we certainly don't need a 2nd C.Falcon Clone.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He clearly stated he didn't want Ganondorf's moveset to change. Honestly, the only solution is to just not vote on Black Shadow if you want Ganondorf to stay the same. Because it is kind of hard to imagine Black Shadow being anything but what Ganondorf is right now. And we certainly don't need a 2nd C.Falcon Clone.
He'll still have the moveset even if it's not on Ganondorf. And it's the only feasible way to get Black Shadow, so...

It all depends on how attached he is to Ganondorf's moveset specifically on Ganondorf.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He'll still have the moveset even if it's not on Ganondorf. And it's the only feasible way to get Black Shadow, so...

It all depends on how attached he is to Ganondorf's moveset specifically on Ganondorf.
My thoughts exactly.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Foolish for what now? Not including a new character? Considering the amount of model work they have done on all the current characters costumes, the animation tweaks, new stages, redesigned stages, All-Stars Battle Mode, and other things we likely don't know of, you consider something as minor as a new character not being immediately implemented to be foolish?

Count your blessings man. Though these types of things may not hype you up like others, they certainly hype many other people. They've already did enough by adding Mewtwo and Roy, as well as reviving Melee-Esq game mechanics. Anything from here on out is just gravy on top.
I apologize... I let the hype get to me. I feel like a d bag now. Also, of course I'm hype about all the other things they've added. Who wouldn't be? Yet I let my self get too hype and that's what happened. Again, my dearest apologies. I respect all of what the PMBR/DT have done.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I apologize... I let the hype get to me. I feel like a d bag now. Also, of course I'm hype about all the other things they've added. Who wouldn't be? Yet I let my self get too hype and that's what happened. Again, my dearest apologies. I respect all of what the PMBR/DT have done.
You're fine man. Just realize that they aren't exactly a company. They are a mod team. So what they are doing is for free. All that they've done is free. They don't owe it to us to make anything. They choose to do it because they care about the fanbase. If we don't get another character anytime soon, or at all, it won't be that big of a deal. They've done quite enough. They've already outdid themselves on more than one occasion.

However. If they do make more characters, I will be beyond excited for those we may see. I probably won't get who I'm personally hoping for, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort they are putting into this mod. Someone is going to be happy, and that is enough for me tbh.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Hey guys, remember that time I explained how Ganon's moveset is actually pretty true to the source?

No? Okay.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Gerudos plz.
Wat

10wat

First off: That's racist.

Second, you mean those Gerudos known for dual-wielding?
Or were you talking about the ones who walk around carrying spears?
Or the one who's more associated with magic since she's the Sage of Spirit?
Either way, tit's irrelevant, since none of them are Ganondorf, but still.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind Nabooru as a True Ganondorf moveset. +.5 Nabooru.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
A: Other Gerudo # Ganondorf.
B: Even then, no Gerudo were even close to that conditioned flexibility-wise. They were trained in weapons rather than kicks, which Meleedorf is somehow seasoned in.
You're telling me that a race consisting 99.9% of WOMEN wouldn't be as flexible.

Yeaaaaaah.

Wat

10wat

First off: That's racist.

Second, you mean those Gerudos known for dual-wielding?
Or were you talking about the ones who walk around carrying spears?
Or the one who's more associated with magic since she's the Sage of Spirit?
Either way, tit's irrelevant, since none of them are Ganondorf, but still.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind Nabooru as a True Ganondorf moveset. +.5 Nabooru.
Shin, you know it isint that much of a stretch that the Gerudo would train in Hand to Hand. And seeing as Ganon is a bigass man (He's like 7'6" or some ****), with the brawn and magic enhancement to back it up, it makes sense that he would use hand to hand instead of a weapon like the female Gerudos.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Ganondorf is fine
How would you like it if I reskinned your main "bcuz muh canon" in a clearly non-canon game.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is fine
How would you like it if I reskinned your main "bcuz muh canon" in a clearly non-canon game.
This is one of the things that destroys the argument that Ridley is "too big". Smash Bros. is a, non-canon game, bringing in canon size of his own games doesn't matter. But even then, Ganon just being a clone of Falcon is just odd. It doesn't fit him, since he can use magic and a sword, even then if he is de-cloned his move-set will still remain in another character who is more fitting IMO (Black Shadow).

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
A: That's sexist.
B: Yes, that is what I'm saying.
It's not sexist at all. It's scientifically proven that most women are more flexible then men. Also, the Gerudo are THIEVES. Think about that for a bit.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Shin, you know it isint that much of a stretch that the Gerudo would train in Hand to Hand. And seeing as Ganon is a bigass man (He's like 7'6" or some ****), with the brawn and magic enhancement to back it up, it makes sense that he would use hand to hand instead of a weapon like the female Gerudos.
Show me a scene where it happens. The only two training grounds in OoT are a horseback arrow course and a maze of locks. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they will. I bet Meta Knight could fight with punches, too. Or Link. Or Marth. Or anyone in the game.

Makes sense he would use hand-to-hand, hmm? I acknowledge he has thrown a punch or two, but let's actually analyze his typical fighting styles from the three main games he draws inspiration from.

OoT 1: Hovering, balls of magic, punching the ground (Note: not his enemies, the ground) to release a wave of magic.
OoT 2 (beast form): Gigantic twin swords

WW 1: Manipulation of a giant Puppet Ganon in his beast form
WW 2: Twin swords.

He punches Link one time while specifically mentioning he was going easy so as not to kill him, because he wanted him to see him attain the Triforce.

TP 1: Possesses Zelda and uses balls of magic and charges Link with her sword.
TP 2: Beast Ganon. Uses magical teleportation and rushes Link, trying to gore him with his horns. (Accurately represented in his FS)
TP 3: Horseback ride. He may or may not have been holding his sword. Either way, no Melee attacks.
TP 4: Sword fight. Sometimes kicks Link to try to break his guard, but 90% of the time uses his sword. His kick is his side-tilt and is fitting.

So yes, he can and has used punches and kicks, but you're wrong when you say that it makes sense for him to use them as much as Smash Ganon does. 90% of the time, he uses other methods. 5% of that remaining time, he uses melee attacks as a support, in conjunction with his magic and swordplay. The final 5%, he's specifically trying not to hurt you too much.

I don't even want this swap any more because the salt would be unbearable, but arguing that he represents a true Ganondorf makes no sense.
Ganondorf is fine
I'd be perfectly fine with that. If Ness wasn't already representative of Earthbound, I'd want him changed to be that way.
It's not sexist at all. It's scientifically proven that most women are more flexible then men. Also, the Gerudo are THIEVES. Think about that for a bit.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Show me a scene where it happens. The only two training grounds in OoT are a horseback arrow course and a maze of locks. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they will. I bet Meta Knight could fight with punches, too. Or Link. Or Marth. Or anyone in the game.

Makes sense he would use hand-to-hand, hmm? I acknowledge he has thrown a punch or two, but let's actually analyze his typical fighting styles from the three main games he draws inspiration from.

OoT 1: Hovering, balls of magic, punching the ground (Note: not his enemies, the ground) to release a wave of magic.
OoT 2 (beast form): Gigantic twin swords

WW 1: Manipulation of a giant Puppet Ganon in his beast form
WW 2: Twin swords.

He punches Link one time while specifically mentioning he was going easy so as not to kill him, because he wanted him to see him attain the Triforce.

TP 1: Possesses Zelda and uses balls of magic and charges Link with her sword.
TP 2: Beast Ganon. Uses magical teleportation and rushes Link, trying to gore him with his horns. (Accurately represented in his FS)
TP 3: Horseback ride. He may or may not have been holding his sword. Either way, no Melee attacks.
TP 4: Sword fight. Sometimes kicks Link to try to break his guard, but 90% of the time uses his sword. His kick is his side-tilt and is fitting.

So yes, he can and has used punches and kicks, but you're wrong when you say that it makes sense for him to use them. 90% of the time, he uses other methods. 5% of that remaining time, he uses melee attacks as a support, in conjunction with his magic and swordplay.
Shin, you completly missed MY point. I never said hand to hand was his typical fighting style, only that it would make sense for him to use it. Just look at the taunt where he pulls out his sword and laughs, he's showing that his enemies arent worthy enough for him to even use his sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom