• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Isaac wouldn't need "speaking" lines, so all they'd need are generic grunts which are easy to find...
I'm sure that would work, but it could go a few different ways in execution.

1) Isaac is silent in GS1, but in GS2 & 3 he suddenly grows vocal chords. A clever nod would be the use of grunts and the GS dialog text sound effects, but including small phrases might add a nice effect during the use of certain moves if included (Ragnarok, Titan Blade, Megiddo, etc.). Either way, he'd still need a new voice actor. The PMDT have high standards of quality; I doubt they would just apply stock voice clips to their new characters.

2) Flint isn't silent, in fact he's known to be quite talkative. Voice acting from him might be a bit weird, and just using the djinn sound effects would well in my opinion, but having someone recreate the creature sound effects is also an option.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Not a recolor, an actual alt costume.
And yes, actually, it sounds pretty great to me.
Not sure. Takamaru's source game is pretty projectile focused. Slapping him onto a generic eastern sword fighter doesn't really do him or his source material justice.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Not sure. Takamaru's source game is pretty projectile focused. Slapping him onto a generic eastern sword fighter doesn't really do him or his source material justice.
Wouldn't be the first time a PM alt didn't do the source material justice
shoutouts to Jet Set Sanic
shoutouts to Solbliminal

Shin F.

Smash Master
Wouldn't be the first time a PM alt didn't do the source material justice
shoutouts to Jet Set Sanic
shoutouts to Solbliminal
It changes the identity of the character and therefore violates the rules. It wouldn't be to standards to have Takamaru running around and using Lyn's voice and being referred to by the announcer as Lyn.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
It changes the identity of the character and therefore violates the rules. It wouldn't be to standards to have Takamaru running around and using Lyn's voice and being referred to by the announcer as Lyn.
Shin
Buddy
You know I know how these rules work

Does Sonic's alt turn him into Beat?
Does Marth's alt turn him into Sigurd?
etc.
It doesn't break rules if Lyn is just wearing Takamaru's clothes.
Which is what I'm trying to get at.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Shin
Buddy

etc.
Why didn't you say that then? You just said Takamaru alt costume, not Takamaru cosplay. Arc plz.

(Yeah, it'd be fine to have her in his clothes)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lyn's alternate costume could be her FE13 re-design. I already posted Sami's alternate costume from Dual Strike a few pages back. Isaac could possibly have adult Isaac or perhaps a Felix outfit. Ridley's alternate costume would obviously be Meta Ridley. Dark Samus could have either Prime 2 or Prime 3 Dark Samus (it depends on what the default is), or the "skeletal" form she has at the end of Prime 2.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Why didn't you say that then? You just said Takamaru alt costume, not Takamaru cosplay. Arc plz.

(Yeah, it'd be fine to have her in his clothes)
I doubt we would get both Taka and Lyn anyway.
Plus, Takamaru is a much cooler reference than some of the other options.

While her FE13 redesign is cool it's way too similar to her default design, in fact aspects of it could be used in her default.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wonder when we will see some more Project M info again now that Art Tuesday's have ended. Things are tricky with 3.5 considering that most of the community's attention will be on Smash 4 Wii U. I think they want to have something up their sleeves to get people to notice Project M again amidst all the Smash 4 hype. I think we will probably see at least one newcomer for 3.5, and some new stages. There definitely is going to be something very significant with 3.5 that we have not seen yet.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
So we're talking about a woman crossdressing? I thought I was on smashboards, not 4chan.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Lyn's alternate costume could be her FE13 re-design. I already posted Sami's alternate costume from Dual Strike a few pages back. Isaac could possibly have adult Isaac or perhaps a Felix outfit. Ridley's alternate costume would obviously be Meta Ridley. Dark Samus could have either Prime 2 or Prime 3 Dark Samus (it depends on what the default is), or the "skeletal" form she has at the end of Prime 2.

Lyn's Awakening outfit was one of the best DLC redesigns so yes that would be a good idea.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
He clearly stated he didn't want Ganondorf's moveset to change. Honestly, the only solution is to just not vote on Black Shadow if you want Ganondorf to stay the same. Because it is kind of hard to imagine Black Shadow being anything but what Ganondorf is right now. And we certainly don't need a 2nd C.Falcon Clone.
In putting Black Shadow in the game, it's possible for him to not be a Ganon clone y'know.

Honestly, in supporting BS in PM, it doesn't make sense for me to not want Ridley in for reasons of "I can't imagine him being different from Charizard." Like Falcon, Black Shadow is a racer. He's got so much potential for a moveset because one hasn't been defined for him yet aside from him being darkness-themed like Ganon. The PMBR could do literally whatever they wanted to with this character, giving him crazy moves and whatnot, because his fighting style hasn't been defined yet.

To make a comparison, Street Fighter is a game that consists of 99% human characters, many with similar builds. Yet Capcom managed to make completely unique movesets and characteristics for similarly-built characters. Look at the grapplers for instance, Gief and T.Hawk have similar moves (circle-throws functioning similarly, like pretty much all circle-throws), are of the same archetype, and play drastically different from each other. Ganondorf ≠ Black Shadow, current Ganondorf is one of the most satisfying characters in the game to play as, F-Zero doesn't have any representation aside from Falcon, one of the hypest characters in Smash.

"Because Ganondorf" is the weakest argument I've ever heard for not wanting a character in the game.

Over-representation is a good reason not to vote for him. I'd drop my votes for Lyn and Goroh in a heartbeat if it meant that exclusively non-represented series would make the 5 slots. Plus, my reasoning behind voting Goroh was "because F-Zero" and my reasoning behind Lyn was "katanas are cool." Might as well just replace both of those votes with Takamaru at this point, his game doesn't have Smash representation and I'd be down with giving him a shot.

I'd even support Pichu coming back if his moveset was drastically different from Pikachu's, but over-representation is the only reason I have why not to support him.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
In putting Black Shadow in the game, it's possible for him to not be a Ganon clone y'know.

Honestly, in supporting BS in PM, it doesn't make sense for me to not want Ridley in for reasons of "I can't imagine him being different from Charizard." Like Falcon, Black Shadow is a racer. He's got so much potential for a moveset because one hasn't been defined for him yet aside from him being darkness-themed like Ganon. The PMBR could do literally whatever they wanted to with this character, giving him crazy moves and whatnot, because his fighting style hasn't been defined yet.

To make a comparison, Street Fighter is a game that consists of 99% human characters, many with similar builds. Yet Capcom managed to make completely unique movesets and characteristics for similarly-built characters. Look at the grapplers for instance, Gief and T.Hawk have similar moves (circle-throws functioning similarly, like pretty much all circle-throws), are of the same archetype, and play drastically different from each other. Ganondorf ≠ Black Shadow, current Ganondorf is one of the most satisfying characters in the game to play as, F-Zero doesn't have any representation aside from Falcon, one of the hypest characters in Smash.

"Because Ganondorf" is the weakest argument I've ever heard for not wanting a character in the game.

Over-representation is a good reason not to vote for him. I'd drop my votes for Lyn and Goroh in a heartbeat if it meant that exclusively non-represented series would make the 5 slots. Plus, my reasoning behind voting Goroh was "because F-Zero" and my reasoning behind Lyn was "katanas are cool." Might as well just replace both of those votes with Takamaru at this point, his game doesn't have Smash representation and I'd be down with giving him a shot.

I'd even support Pichu coming back if his moveset was drastically different from Pikachu's, but over-representation is the only reason I have why not to support him.
"Make Ganondorf the Falcon Clone, but make Black Shadow unique"

Makes complete sense. Lets do that.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
"Make Ganondorf the Falcon Clone, but make Black Shadow unique"

Makes complete sense. Lets do that.
It wouldn't be making Ganon anything different from what he already is, he's already a Falcon clone. Ask Ganon players if they want their character's moveset changed for the sake of canonical accuracy. Supporting Black Shadow doesn't have anything to do with Ganon having a "canonically inaccurate" moveset.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It wouldn't be making Ganon anything different from what he already is, he's already a Falcon clone. Ask Ganon players if they want their character's moveset changed for the sake of canonical accuracy. Supporting Black Shadow doesn't have anything to do with Ganon having a "canonically inaccurate" moveset.
Either way, I could care less about Ganondorf or Black Shadow. I was merely offering my input on the matter from the perspective that made most sense to me. Whatever you guys want is fine. But in regards to my personal opinion on Black Shadow, if I haven't already done this:

-1 vote anything related to Black Shadow: There are plenty of better candidates that are much more deserving of becoming playable characters. Especially in regards to a unique character. I honestly see little to no point in his inclusion any which way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...I'd rather have Goroh than Black Shadow anyway. 100x more interesting, even as an F-Zero fan.

Although we would miss out on reenactments of the famous anime scene.

But seriously if any eastern-style swordsman (Goroh doesn't really practice eastern style swordsmanship, but whatever.) is getting in, it's Lyn. So...yeah.

Though I would not mind Takamaru one bit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think its sad to say that a majority of the people who mention Black Shadow simply want him so that Ganondorf can be given a new moveset, while also giving F-Zero a second slot (which at this point probably will never happen).

I think the whole issue is basically solved through the method of stance chance (ie. Ganondorf's can switch his moveset from Falcondorf to a new one though one of his taunts, like with Samus in Project M can swtich beams through taunting).

Samurai Goroh is also hurt by the fact that he is competing with Lyn and Takamaru as prospective katana users, and both of those characters have more passionate fanbases.

Still I would like to see F-Zero get more content in Smash Bros. Maybe the team can make a new F-Zero stage?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I wonder when we will see some more Project M info again now that Art Tuesday's have ended. Things are tricky with 3.5 considering that most of the community's attention will be on Smash 4 Wii U. I think they want to have something up their sleeves to get people to notice Project M again amidst all the Smash 4 hype. I think we will probably see at least one newcomer for 3.5, and some new stages. There definitely is going to be something very significant with 3.5 that we have not seen yet.
I would agree with you. It is true, Smash 4 will take up most of people's time for awhile. They hopefully will have something up their sleeves like a new character and or stages. Especially if they try to max out the clone engine over time to get people to go back and forth. They both have their different play styles and different characters to choose from and their different play styles. Plus each game has their own "exclusive" characters. (Of course we will have to see if there will be more DLC like with Mewtwo ... but I double they would add back Roy ... which the PM team did a fabulous job with since he is actually playable compared to Melee!)

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I have always been against the Blackshadowdorf thing as i'm particularly partial to muscledorf, though i can admit the moveset fit his OOT appearance to a much better degree than his TP one. that said, i'm not entirely convinced that the animation overhaul that ganon got in Vbrawl really fit the OOT design very well either. At least the Art tuesday animation where we got a sneak peak at the "charging punch of ambiguous use" looks ike it's designed with both of them in mind. anyway, i'm waffling.

I think the whole issue is basically solved through the method of stance chance (ie. Ganondorf's can switch his moveset from Falcondorf to a new one though one of his taunts, like with Samus in Project M can swtich beams through taunting).
the problem here is just how drastic everyone wants something like this to be. samus gets 2 new moves and property changes 3 existing ones with the ice beam. from every PSA i've ever seen of stance changing ganon, it's overhauled him absurdly. i can only imagine what a headache that would be to work out and make halfway balanced. ganon doesn't need a stance change. all he needs is few of his moves made more zelda-ey in flavor.

Samurai Goroh is also hurt by the fact that he is competing with Lyn and Takamaru as prospective katana users, and both of those characters have more passionate fanbases.
brawl has not done a great job of displaying him either - a character who has only ever been shown to run out flailing a katana with no form or anything is already a less attractive option than someone who, as has been brought up multiple times in this thread for both lyn and takamaru, wields one with a proper technique and poise, and presents something intuitive against the "muh swordweilding characters" dichotomy.

Still I would like to see F-Zero get more content in Smash Bros. Maybe the team can make a new F-Zero stage?
truth be told, this is probably all we really need. i Like f-zero, but captain falcon has always felt like the only playable character we've ever needed in smash. he kind of just embodies the series, so to say.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Should just be default
until sm4sh threw that up in the air, the games tended to use the latest designs for characters anyway. the PMDT should follow suit with her... it'd help differentiate her from the Assist trophy as well. and while she's clearly wielding two swords, she could only use one of them. Awakening did the same thing.

either way, an alt of it would still be fine. it'd be effortless to copy it, recolor it and replace her default look. swordmaster Lyndis = best Lyndis.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I was merely offering my input on the matter from the perspective that made most sense to me.
...while being condescending, but that's fine. It's only half a vote anyway, relax dude.

Also, not that it matters because this thread isn't serious at all, but why don't we have some kind of limit on downvotes while having a limit on regular votes?

Xyn

Smash Cadet
Lyn's costumes should be similar to Fox/Falco/Mario/Link/etc.

FE13 Awakening outfit for default, her FE7 outfit as extra/CBliss in green, red and blue for team battles and one Takamaru costume.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Shin
Buddy

etc.
Which is basically the recolor that we were talking about earlier. Change of clothes and hair, its a recolor. Please get your vocabulary straight.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Which is basically the recolor that we were talking about earlier. Change of clothes and hair, its a recolor. Please get your vocabulary straight.
Recolor literally means changing the color
Anything with more changes than that is an alt costume
About Lyn cosplaying as Takamaru... It's something. I could live with that. *shrugs*
If nothing else it's a damn cool costume

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
...while being condescending, but that's fine. It's only half a vote anyway, relax dude.

Also, not that it matters because this thread isn't serious at all, but why don't we have some kind of limit on downvotes while having a limit on regular votes?
There was nothing condescending about what I said at all. Just merely offered my opinion and you didn't agree. At any rate, I'm not trying to sound offensive if I am. Not exactly having the best of weeks honestly, so my tone may come off as a bit harsh.

As for the question, it is best to ask the tomato.

Payton

Smash Cadet
I think that adding all these characters in to pm would ruin the fun. In my personal opinion the only one that should be added is pichu because he was in melee.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think that adding all these characters in to pm would ruin the fun. In my personal opinion the only one that should be added is pichu because he was in melee.
How exactly? If you don't want to use those, you don't, so, they are just extra. Its not something that somehow changes gameplay or engine itself and you don't have to use them if you don't want to, so, if you will ignore them, Project M will stay same. They won't appear in All-Stars or Classic mode either, so, they don't exist unless someone choses them.
Adding Pichu wouldn't be a good idea without completly remaking moveset under limits they have (no new projectiles and only if original character had those (for example, you can't have anything like Pikachu's thunder unless you are making character over Pikachu and you can't have anything like Fox's blaster shots unless you are making character over Fox), no completly new final smashes that look good, no reflectors of any kind if original character didn't had those, no projectile absorbing stuff unless original character was someone like Ness, etc) and then why not add Dr.Mario (as a separate slot) and Young Link since they were in Melee too?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I agree with your point, but I'd like to point out that Mewtwo and Roy (and presumably future Clone Engine characters) actually are in All-Star Mode.
How?! Did PMBR cracked All-Star's coding and added new characters to it? And do they crash the game or what? If they don't, then i am even more impressed than i was before. If they will somehow find a way to remove this articles limit, then i will be speech(word?)less. I doubt that will happen, but who knows. I didn't know that Charizard could be separate from Pkmn Trainer without that code while still having a unique Down B, but they did that.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
How?! Did PMBR cracked All-Star's coding and added new characters to it? And do they crash the game or what? If they don't, then i am even more impressed than i was before. If they will somehow find a way to remove this articles limit, then i will be speech(word?)less. I doubt that will happen, but who knows. I didn't know that Charizard could be separate from Pkmn Trainer without that code while still having a unique Down B, but they did that.
I don't know how they added them, but no, they don't crash the game. They're included in the Pokemon and Fire Emblem battles just like any other character, although their stock icon appears as Mario's when you're in the waiting room.

Payton

Smash Cadet
How exactly? If you don't want to use those, you don't, so, they are just extra. Its not something that somehow changes gameplay or engine itself and you don't have to use them if you don't want to, so, if you will ignore them, Project M will stay same. They won't appear in All-Stars or Classic mode either, so, they don't exist unless someone choses them.
Adding Pichu wouldn't be a good idea without completly remaking moveset under limits they have (no new projectiles and only if original character had those (for example, you can't have anything like Pikachu's thunder unless you are making character over Pikachu and you can't have anything like Fox's blaster shots unless you are making character over Fox), no completly new final smashes that look good, no reflectors of any kind if original character didn't had those, no projectile absorbing stuff unless original character was someone like Ness, etc) and then why not add Dr.Mario (as a separate slot) and Young Link since they were in Melee too?
I know they won't be in other modes but from my personal standpoint I think that it would affect the game as a whole because it will cause a player to have to mix up their strategy in ways that would affect tournament play style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom