• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hmmm.... No, he needs to be bigger. He needs to at least keep the canon of being bigger than Samus. Say, why not this Ridley be on all-fours, allowing him to be even bigger as a fighter? Eh? Ehhhh?

....I will always support Duck-face Gorilla Roidley. :lick:
He still is bigger than Samus, but I can change it.

(second is the smaller one)

Better?

And if you don't like that:

This is always an option.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I actually think his movement speed on the ground shouldn't be much faster than this in the first place, so being extremely hunched over or literally on all fours wouldn't be all too bad really.

He's been conceptualized as one of our most aerial based clone engine characters, this would really force people to learn his aerial game. Hell, I'd go as far as not giving him a run animation at all lol. Just his initial dash and then straight into his walk animation.

TreK

Is "that guy"
(Also keep in mind that the wings are not hitboxes.)
I suppose the tail doesn't count either ?
Because that went so well with Mewtwo.

Just how many compromises do you have to make to make ridley a playable character lmao

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Just how many compromises do you have to make to make ridley a playable character lmao
Of course not. It will be like if Sonic would be slow or if Batman would use guns - it is against his character. Ridley's tail always was invincible while his entire body was the weakspot (only his mouth and chest wound in Metroid Prime games). It being vulnerable would also make him too easy to hit and will turn him into a punching bag (*coughSSB4cough*). Charizard and Mewtwo have same kind of thing with their hitboxes, so, its not that bad.

Not much more than to make Villager, Captain Falcon, G&W, etc. playable.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
My votes are as such:

Lyn
Waluigi
Skull kid
Hector
Birdo

I really want birdo. Why isn't he on the main page as a choice? He could be cloned from yoshi and use similar moves with his nose being able to launch yoshi-like eggs.

I assume people have discussed this previously and it was turned down, but my question is why?

Last edited:

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
The main page list is not an exhaustive list of options, but rather those are candidates who have gathered a certain number of positive votes. There aren't many people voting for Birdo, but that doesn't mean the idea was turned down.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
My votes are as such:

Lyn
Waluigi
Skull kid
Hector
Birdo

I really want birdo. Why isn't he on the main page as a choice? He could be cloned from yoshi and use similar moves with his nose being able to launch yoshi-like eggs.

I assume people have discussed this previously and it was turned down, but my question is why?
In 524 pages, Birdo was never discussed. IMO, Birdo hardly qualifies to be included in a game of Nintendo All Stars... hell, in games that include MARIO characters alone, Birdo can't even win against Pink Gold Peach.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Well let me state birdo's case then:

He has a similar model to yoshi, meaning a reskin shouldn't be hard and they can keep many animations the same. He could have similar movesets to yoshi and if PMBR wanted to give him a projectile, they could use yoshi's egg. He would be another double jump cancel character probably which would be nice. He has appeared in many spin off and some main series mario titles (as you can see here: http://www.mariowiki.com/birdo). He is also a trophy. Furthermore, even though it is technically a boy, most people think it is a girl, meaning it will be another feminine character to the roster if nothing else.

She can be different than yoshi by spitting fireballs like in SM2 and they would have a different trajectory if it was just eggs. She could be a slower more heavy hitting version of yoshi much like ganondorf is to captain falcon.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Why isn't Meowth up there? He can have recolors of other feline Pokemon and he can even have Sakurai's cat as a recolor. :troll:

Last edited:

Exodo

Smash Ace
He still is bigger than Samus, but I can change it.

(second is the smaller one)

Better?

And if you don't like that:

This is always an option.
this is probably one of the greatest things ever fan made.
good job man!!

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
What's the problem with the size now, though? He's large, but he can just fill the niche of the largest character. His attack power and speed wouldn't be diminished from canon, but that would be counterbalanced by him having such a large frame (meaning any mistake would be easily punished).

(Also keep in mind that the wings are not hitboxes.)
The last part is something for people to consider, since a good chunk of his size are his wings .... Also, like bowser, his size changes from game to game .... even in smash bros (Smash 4, hint, hint.)

I am not a die hard Ridley fan or a complainer if he is or isn't in it ... just the argument of the size isn't the best due to those few reasons ... so I say hey, it could work. Granted I like the smaller size for Bowser in the newest game so he plays much better since he is not such a huge target ... so that is something to consider with sizes.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Majora's Mask 3D is being released for spring 2015. No better time than ever to announce Skull Kid for Project M.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The last part is something for people to consider, since a good chunk of his size are his wings .... Also, like bowser, his size changes from game to game .... even in smash bros (Smash 4, hint, hint.)

I am not a die hard Ridley fan or a complainer if he is or isn't in it ... just the argument of the size isn't the best due to those few reasons ... so I say hey, it could work. Granted I like the smaller size for Bowser in the newest game so he plays much better since he is not such a huge target ... so that is something to consider with sizes.
Well, Charizard and Mewtwo have same issue, so, its not going to be that bad and wings most likely be outside of the area where something could hit them unless it has very large hitbox, but it will most likely hit head or body first in such case.

Large size can be used for balancing stuff (like making Ridley light and large, slow with end lag issues on the ground, but strong and just overall great in the air), so, it is a good thing.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh I wasn't very clear I think ... I meant that since his wings don't have to be a hurt box, that would "cut down" his size in a sense from being too much of a punching bag. That would be a good thing.

I have nothing against Ridley, it would be nice for another Metroid Rep for the Smash franchise.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh I wasn't very clear I think ... I meant that since his wings don't have to be a hurt box, that would "cut down" his size in a sense from being too much of a punching bag. That would be a good thing.

I have nothing against Ridley, it would be nice for another Metroid Rep for the Smash franchise.
Tail would be more of an issue if it would have hurt boxes *coughSSB4PunchingBagRidleycough* since it is long and i doubt he would keep it curled around him for every animation except for tail attacks.

That part of your post was clear.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh yes, the tail, I get it. Yeah, that can pose some issues ... it would be tough to balance it out since it is so long and it used for attacking as well. Hmmm.
Tough to be Ridley for a Smash game eh?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
To the guy that said Ninten would be a clone:
It's actually impossible for him being a clone to make sense. Ness and Lucas at least are able to use some offensive PSI in their respective games. Ninten doesn't learn any offensive PSI, so that already makes a moveset for him very non-clonish. He could use PSI Shield to defend himself from projectiles a few times (probably 3), he could use Teleport to recover, Lifeup in a vein similar to WFT's Deep Breathing, and Counter could stack up attack power each time you counter an attack. His only attacks involve melee bat attacks,no yo-yos, so while his side smash would be similar to Ness and Lucas's, his up and down smashes would likely be different.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh yes, the tail, I get it. Yeah, that can pose some issues ... it would be tough to balance it out since it is so long and it used for attacking as well. Hmmm.
Tough to be Ridley for a Smash game eh?
Not that tough. Tip of the tail (blade part of it) could be powerful while everything else more useful for just dealing damage (still less than sweetspot's damage) than launching someone. That would better work with Other M Ridley since his tail is thin except for its blade part.
Or just anything from Metroid that isn't Samus.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

This is Project M Charizard. Note that his tail is almost entirely disjointed.

This is Pit in Brawl. His wings are not hurtboxes.

Therefore:

This is about as much as you could hit.

Compare to Bowser below:

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Hey! Just wanted to drop in and submit my suggestions for the possible characters!

Kamek

Being the main antagonist of the Yoshi's Island series (other than Bowser, maybe), I think this wizard deserves much more attention. His move set would probably have to be made from scratch, but he could have a large array of unique magical abilities. Unfortunately, in the whole scheme of the Mario universe, he's pretty minor and we also already have several Mario characters. However, I think Yoshi could use a counterpart.

Banjo and Kazooie

Now, who doesn't like this bird and bear duo? Again, it would take work to implement (a dual character with several limbs), but brainstorming their moveset would be pretty easy because of their large arsenal of abilities in the games. Unfortunately, though Rare and the BK series had a history with Nintendo (BK is also very Nintendo-esque), nowadays Rare isn't nearly as connected.

Even though Lucas is already in the game, I would also like Kumatora and Duster from Mother 3 to be in the game as well.

Though Kumatora could easily be a Ness clone, but Duster would need a moveset of his own, possibly based off his arsenal of thief tools.

Also, if the Masked Man isn't deemed spoiler friendly, why not have Fassad spread a little "happiness"?

Fassad could be like Diddy Kong but with some moves replaced with PK, so apart from the model and animations he'd be easy.

I'll also chip in for King K. Roll and either of the Ganondorf/F-Zero swaps.
I'm also going to give a vote to Rayman even though there is no way he's going to be added. :p

Overall:

+1

Kamek
Banjo and Kazooie - EDIT: Not eligible
Kumatora
Duster
Fassad

+0.5

King K. Roll
Ganondorf/Black Shadow
Ganondorf/Samurai Goroh
Rayman - EDIT: Not eligible

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey! Just wanted to drop in and submit my suggestions for the possible characters!

Kamek

Being the main antagonist of the Yoshi's Island series (other than Bowser, maybe), I think this wizard deserves much more attention. His move set would probably have to be made from scratch, but he could have a large arsenal of unique magical abilities. Unfortunately, in the whole scheme of the Mario universe, he's pretty minor and we also already have several Mario characters. However, I think Yoshi could use a counterpart.

Banjo and Kazooie

Now, who doesn't like this bird and bear duo? Again, it would take work to implement (a dual character with several limbs), but brainstorming their moveset would be pretty easy because of their large arsenal of abilities in the games. Unfortunately, though Rare and the BK series had a history with Nintendo (BK is also very Nintendo-esque), nowadays Rare isn't nearly as connected.

I'll also chip in for King K. Roll and either of the Ganondorf/BlackShadow/Goroh swaps.
I'm also going to give a vote to Rayman even though there is no way he's going to be added.
For Kamek, they already have issues with projectiles (they had to replace Mewtwo's FThrow with one that lacks those small shadow balls) and not much can be done with those. For Banjo and Kazooie, they didn't appeared in Brawl at all, so, they are instantly out. Character has to have appear in Brawl at least as a sticker to be voted for.

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
BaganSmashBros said:
Character has to have appear in Brawl at least as a sticker to be voted for.
Oh, probably should have noted that more. :/

Scratch my votes for Banjo and Rayman, then.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
For Kamek, they already have issues with projectiles (they had to replace Mewtwo's FThrow with one that lacks those small shadow balls) and not much can be done with those. For Banjo and Kazooie, they didn't appeared in Brawl at all, so, they are instantly out. Character has to have appear in Brawl at least as a sticker to be voted for.
Fassad is in Brawl though? I'm too lazy to check.

Fassad could be like Diddy Kong but with some moves replaced with PK, so apart from the model and animations he'd be easy.
I don't think it works that way. You can't say he works like Diddy, yet try to give an animal human animations.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Fassad is in Brawl though? I'm too lazy to check.
No. Kumatora and Duster are, but they will require completly custom models. Earthbound isn't represented very well in SSB games due to being a small and dead franchise. Lloyd is also present in Brawl. No, not that one. This one:

But he, along with everyone who is not one of the main characters of Earthbound games, is not worth adding to Project M.

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
+1
Lyn
Krystal
Ninten
Tetra
Sami

Ridley-Honestly the size is an issue. I odnt want him to have a huge model where roughly a third of it is not an actual hurtbox. but thats not even my main issue. I don't want another glide character. i honestly just sorta feel like ridley would be a little too simple. i know i'll probly get flamed for saying it but yeah. i think ridley will be a boring character.

other sonic/mgs characters. just not a fan of giving our limited spots to characters that are guest franchises.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley-Honestly the size is an issue. I odnt want him to have a huge model where roughly a third of it is not an actual hurtbox. but thats not even my main issue. I don't want another glide character. i honestly just sorta feel like ridley would be a little too simple. i know i'll probly get flamed for saying it but yeah. i think ridley will be a boring character.
Charizard has same issue with hitbox thing:

See? At least 1/3 of his model (his wings and tail, especially wings, are really big) doesn't counts as part of his hurtboxes. You could just do this:

And he would be fine. I couldn't cover his feet and hands unfortunately because i don't know how to add hurtboxes. I could use Other M model if i would be able to properly scale hurtboxes on it since model itself is too small (11.25x smaller than Brawl models) and hurtboxes can't be scaled down enough. Moved hurtboxes to wings' base because balance, thats why.
Marth, Bowser, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon look boring (especially Marth) and simple (especially IC) at first too, but are more complicated and fun to play as (don't know about IC, didn't tried those much). You just have to see it and try it first to understand i guess.

Last edited:

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
Charizard has same issue with hitbox thing:

See? At least 1/3 of his model (his wings and tail, especially wings, are really big) doesn't counts as part of his hurtboxes. You could just do this:

And he would be fine. I couldn't cover his feet and hands unfortunately because i don't know how to add hurtboxes. I could use Other M model if i would be able to properly scale hurtboxes on it since model itself is too small (11.25x smaller than Brawl models) and hurtboxes can't be scaled down enough. Moved hurtboxes to wings' base because balance, thats why.
Marth, Bowser, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon look boring (especially Marth) and simple (especially IC) at first too, but are more complicated and fun to play as (don't know about IC, didn't tried those much). You just have to see it and try it first to understand i guess.
and im not a fan of how it is on charizard either. and im sorry but i do not agree with the marth bowser stuff at all. in fact, seieng CF and marth especially is what got me into smash in the first place. idk, i realize opinions may differ. but thats just mine.

MLGF

Smash Lord
That moment when you realize that if Geno was in Brawl as a sticker the support for him would be stupid high.
That moment when you realize if Leif were in this game as a sticker, I'd never stop rooting for him.

I mean, weapon masters are cool. amirite?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
and im not a fan of how it is on charizard either. and im sorry but i do not agree with the marth bowser stuff at all. in fact, seieng CF and marth especially is what got me into smash in the first place. idk, i realize opinions may differ. but thats just mine.
It just shows that they didn't cared about character giant wings and tails and added them anyway. It is still really weird and illogical for Charizard to have ghost tail and wings.
Well, if you will look at them, they are really basic - one uses punches and kicks (CF and Ganondorf) while other one is just a guy with a sword (Marth) and Bowser just uses basic stuff and fire. If you don't like how they look and don't know them, you will most likely think that they are boring. You need to try to play as them first. But result isn't always a good one and if done wrong, Ridley may be boring like Melee/PM Fox.

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
part of the reason i say he'll be boring is because i view him as being a slow, hard hitting character that can probably spam a projectile and has a glide. i view a lot of fireball camping for an opening for a smash attack. i feel like he wont have a very "hype" move like a lightning stomp/falcon punch/ dair spike (arguable),
basically, i view ridley being added for the hype of the character, not for the hype of gameplay. i feel like he wont really be bringing much new fun stuff to the game like roy did. lets be honest, m2 would be cool as hell if he wasnt broken. teleport shenanigans was fun to mess around with. i just dont see anything new coming from ridley.

i just dont want waste. dont get me wrong, i like ridley, i just don't want him added to PM. if we had more spaces, i'm all for it.

Edit: i realize roy didnt really add anything new, bar turnaround DED, but pretty much everyone agrees he is fun, myself included..

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
part of the reason i say he'll be boring is because i view him as being a slow, hard hitting character that can probably spam a projectile and has a glide. i view a lot of fireball camping for an opening for a smash attack. i feel like he wont have a very "hype" move like a lightning stomp/falcon punch/ dair spike (arguable),
basically, i view ridley being added for the hype of the character, not for the hype of gameplay. i feel like he wont really be bringing much new fun stuff to the game like roy did. lets be honest, m2 would be cool as hell if he wasnt broken. teleport shenanigans was fun to mess around with. i just dont see anything new coming from ridley.

i just dont want waste. dont get me wrong, i like ridley, i just don't want him added to PM. if we had more spaces, i'm all for it.
This is Ridley done not wrong, but not in an interesting way. He could be like reverse Little Mac (Brawl Bowser-level bad on the ground, Meta Knight+Ganondorf in the air) with his tail attacks always having a sweetspot (blade part of the tail, high damage and knockback) and a sourspot (low damage and knockback). He also, being a FLYING creature (which means he has to be light to fly or else he will be like an ostritch or cassowary - wings are there, but too heavy to really use those), would be lightweighted and with such large size, would be a glass cannon kind of character. Glide if something he has to have along with fireballs (which would be turned into either flamethrower kind of projectiles like Charizard's or a single chargable projectile since PMBR has PSA limitations cripling any complex character's moveset potential) and pogo tail. For the hype of the character, not hype of gameplay thing, then it is the reason why we had clones in Melee (Ganondorf being the best example of it).

There are no characters that would bring anything truly new or completly unique in Project M since they are just very good modders, not game developers like Sakurai and his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom