• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure there's an actual piece of dialogue where she asks what a building is.

Maybe I'm misremembering.
I remember her agreeing to go through refresher courses because it's been a while since the last war, but I don't remember her straight-up forgetting what a building is. I could be wrong, though.

I do know that Andy asks what an airport is.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here goes my five full votes for now:

+1 Sami
She would be the perfect way of having another military fighter while representing the sister franchise of Fire Emblem (Nintendo Wars).

+1 Ridley
A big purple dragon with brutal attacks and great aerial game is cool in my book.

+1 Isaac
Psyenergy and earth attacks alone is a great combination to make this guy the ideal smasher.

+1 Takamaru
The lack of eastern swordsman is disturbing and this is the perfect guy to fit the bill.

+1 Waluigi
Expecting another Mario character like Bowser Junior? Too bad Waluigi Time! :troll:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
...am I allowed to change my votes around since Smash 4's characters have all been confirmed?

because I have no idea who my previous votes were for anyways ;_;

Shin F.

Smash Master
...am I allowed to change my votes around since Smash 4's characters have all been confirmed?

because I have no idea who my previous votes were for anyways ;_;
You can re-cast votes that you used on characters who made it into Smash 4 (such as Bowser Jr), but if you want to change any other votes, you have to have a strong reason for doing so.

I'm not in a position to do so now, but I can tell you who you voted for later, or one of the other counters might be able to.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
You can re-cast votes that you used on characters who made it into Smash 4 (such as Bowser Jr), but if you want to change any other votes, you have to have a strong reason for doing so.

I'm not in a position to do so now, but I can tell you who you voted for later, or one of the other counters might be able to.
Feel free to, I'm assuming that my votes haven't changed. It's just that I think maybe I voted for more than five and downvoted way too many or something. I honestly can't remember, I'd just like a reminder. I can probably find them myself anyways though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I got it covered Shin. Here ya go Robosteven.

1 vote:
Sukapon
Andy (or any other Advance Wars character)
Lyn
Hector
Paper Mario

1/2 vote:
Isaac
Krystal
Knuckles
Samurai Goroh
Ridley
Saki

downvote downvote downvote:
Pichu
Tails
Dark Samus
Dixie Kong
changed Ganondorf

Black Shadow would be awesome, but don't change Ganon. I would've preferred him with a sword in vBrawl, but the PMBR has already done a great job with bringing awesome Ganon back. Giving Black Shadow his moveset wouldn't feel right.
I also seen a mention of moving Damus up to a half vote, as well as Slippy. Not too sure if either one was a joke, but I figured I would inform you.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I got it covered Shin. Here ya go Robosteven.

I also seen a mention of moving Damus up to a half vote, as well as Slippy. Not too sure if either one was a joke, but I figured I would inform you.
Thanks. <3

Alright, changing it:

1 vote:
Sukapon
Ray MK III
Lyn
Samurai Goroh
Isaac

1/2 vote:
Sami
Ninten
Paper Mario
Knuckles
Waluigi
Dark Samus
Skull Kid
K. Rool
Lip
Takamaru

downvote downvote downvote:
Ridley:
because I seriously cannot even begin to imagine the character being different from Charizard in any way. I've seen the PSA that was made, I'm still not convinced.
Young Link: because Toon Link already represents the character in moveset and in the fact that he's already slightly smaller Link.
changed Ganondorf: because while I'd really love to see Black Shadow in the game, I really don't want a complete overhaul of Ganon.
Shadow: Sonic costume already exists.
Hector: New Ike costume is close enough to him.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Gonna throw in some votes:

+1
Sami
Lyn
Isaac
Skull Kid

Knuckles

Isaac and Sami are from series that have yet to get playable representation in Smash yet and are some of the most deserving. Advance Wars and Golden Sun are both great games that could do well with a little exposure in Project M. Sami would be excellent as a Snake clone and I would really like to see her be playable.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Hey. Hey guys.

Imagine for a sec.

what if the PMDT found out how to implement unlock conditions for characters, and are keeping quiet on any CE related news so that a hypothetical new character in 3.5 would REALLY be a secret upon release?

Shin F.

Smash Master
Hey. Hey guys.

Imagine for a sec.

what if the PMDT found out how to implement unlock conditions for characters, and are keeping quiet on any CE related news so that a hypothetical new character in 3.5 would REALLY be a secret upon release?
Oooh. I like that. I don't think they'll do it, but I like it.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Gonna toss this info out to those who are voting on Isaac and Sami who are saying "some of the most deserving characters".

Custom Robo has been a series that has been around since 1999, on the N64. It has had 5 installments, 2 of which are internationally released. It was very popular starting off in Japan, but the series met its eventual stop after the last installment. That being Custom Robo Arena, which was released in 2007 in America. Yeah. 7 years ago. The games suffered from poor advertisement, which eventually led the series to silently dying off. The US never got to see an international release of the first two installments, which were widely acclaimed to be the best in the series.

The series has been represented through trophies in Melee and Brawl, and even had some stickers alongside an assist trophy for Ray MK III. No matter how much this series had been represented and acclaimed, it has been ignored, overlooked, and forgotten. The series seems pretty dead for something that was pretty well acclaimed in Japan at one point. It was very ahead of its time for the type of game it was. 4 of the 5 installments were very solid and sold mostly for the gameplay. Though is somewhat lacked in story. What is admirable about the series though is the ability to customize and fight with toy sized robots in an arena fighters setting.

The series is great and had potential to be something even better, if it would've been properly advertised to the general audience. It is gravely unfortunate to see a series like this fade into obscurity when it is relatively popular to a similar degree of that as Golden Sun and Advance Wars. I urge those of you who have the time to look into this series for a better opinion on the character Ray MK III. Not only for his potential, but for his worth as a character. He has plenty of unique potential for those who seek a character with a diverse moveset. His animations wouldn't require a lot of work and could easily be modified from existing animations on characters that fit his body type.

As for how he would play, Ray would have a very uniquely designed range game. And by that I mean a strong focus on almost nothing but range, but with the fault of having to properly place his attacks and having a poor close range game. Most of his close range attacks would require a dash or tilt, while others are all focused on long range, oddly functioning projectiles. He would be very quick, likely have air dashes, but have poor ground movement. Think a reverse Little Mac.

For a good view of the character and some general concepts, here are some images and sketches to give you a good idea of how the character looks and how the character could possibly operate:

RAY MK III

Ray appears to be very Action Figure like in his design, which makes him a very stylish candidate right off the bat. He definitely throws off those old childhood vibes of buying Power Ranger and Gundam toys.

Possible Stance ideas, staring possible alt costume Ray01.

Among earlier discussions, there have been two compromised heights. Ray would likely be anywhere between these proposed heights.

Unique for a character in Project M, Ray would sport a projectile based jabstring. Akin to something you would see out of Mega Man in Smash 4.

A possible dash attack based on his high-speed tackle. Could appear similar to that of Fox and Falco's Side-B Illusion Dash. Would like be good for landing a hit and getting some good distance from the enemy, now in a juggle state. Good for a set-up in Ray's book. The more distance the better.

A target marker bomb strike for forward Smash. It would operate similar to that of a diagonal version of Snake's U-Smash. Distance based on charge time.

The Sword Gun being used as a temporary slash attack before it fires off. Dealing a lovely two-hits. The first being the slash, and second being the blast from the sword being fired. Would do pretty decent KB and would likely be a B-Air.

The drill gun I've contemplated two ideas for. One being an U-Smash that leaves Ray airborn, and the other being an uppercut that fires off a drill a set distance, carrying the enemy upward a very short distance (aka, a staggering juggle).

I hope you all generously consider Ray a worthy candidate for a possible future Project M character, and appreciate your time for those of you who took the time to read.

Last edited:

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
Hey. Hey guys.

Imagine for a sec.

Except the files for said character would be found right away, so it wouldn't be that secret after all.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
If I'm understanding correctly, you can +1 vote up to 5 characters, correct?

Therefore, my +1 votes go to:
  • Ridley: Self-explanatory. How is the Murderous, Dragon/Pterodactyl that goes toe-to-toe with Samus on a regular basis in the franchise and engages with Space Piracy not hype?
  • King K. Rool: The threatening, maniacal, but also comical demented Crocodile King that is determined to foil the Kongs. Donkey Kong surprisingly got a lack of love in Smash 4, and K. Rool specifically got even fewer love from the newer DK games. yet, many fans still love him and would appreciate him in Project M.
  • Dixie: The next Monkey that really needs some love, especially after her revival in Tropical Freeze. Similar to K. Rool's case, Donkey Kong got a surprisingly lack of love in Smash 4 including Dixie being absent.
  • Isaac: Golden Sun, one of the last, bigger franchises from Nintendo that gets little love in Smash. Would be great to have the Nintendo/Camelot RPG hero in the game.
  • Sami: Similar to Isaac, Advance Wars is one of the last larger franchises that still gets no character in playable form. Also, extremely interested in what can be done with her as far as moveset is concerned.

Powerofparanoia

Smash Rookie
1 vote:

Skull Kid:
Although the Zelda franchise is over-represented in SSB, I feel that Skull Kid's moveset could be extremely unique and a lot to the game.

Isaac: A character who uses psy-energy could be really intriguing. Would be a bit projectile/magic heavy if they focus on that, though. Definitely from one of my favorite games.

Sami: Definitely a great choice for a Snake clone. Moveset could be diverse and exciting.

Tom Nook: This man has placed me into debt so many times. I want to beat him over the head with a Bowser forward-smash.

Ray MK III: I hadn't even heard of Ray before reading this thread. After some research, I think that he could be a fun little addition. His movements could be more jerky than most, making it harder to predict.

1/2 vote:

Ganondorf/Black Shadow
Dark Samus
Paper Mario
Micaiah
Lyn

Downvote:

Ridley:
Although Ridley is an iconic character from an underrepresented series, I don't really see how Rid's moveset will be much different from Charizard's.

King K. Rool: As much as another heavy character would add to the game, I don't really think King K. Rool is a good fit. I feel like his moveset would have a lot of projectiles, but as a heavy character, I would expect him to be another heavy hitter. I don't really think the combination of those two would flow well.

Dixie Kong: Not too interested in a Diddy clone, even if the moveset does change a bit.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Honestly, to me, I feel these three are the trinity of forgotten Nintendo titles. They look so damn great together and it would honestly be a real shame to see them not come together in Project M. They balance out a setting of Past, Present, and Future quite nicely, and therefore are quite distinguished from one another in terms of playstyle and appearance. The other remaining slots can go to the deserving Metroid and DK reps accordingly.

(Credit Shin F. for the image and Vaanrose for the Sami render.)

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Honestly, to me, I feel these three are the trinity of forgotten Nintendo titles. They look so damn great together and it would honestly be a real shame to see them not come together in Project M. They balance out a setting of Past, Present, and Future quite nicely, and therefore are quite distinguished from one another in terms of playstyle and appearance. The other remaining slots can go to the deserving Metroid and DK reps accordingly.

(Credit Shin F. for the image and whoever made the Sami model.)
Vaanrose made that model.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
+1 Captain N, Fox clone, Game Boy replaces reflector device model, Pauses opponents for a few seconds as FS (wouldn't be very flashy & thus not need as much work as other FS's). Was center of the 1st major crossover of Nintendo properties, historically important not to Nintendo in a way to SSB's history as well. & who else fights with a NES Zapper anyway?

+1 Sami

+1 Red/Pokemon Trainer (with Leaf alt)

+1 Toad

+1 Krystal

ZSel

Smash Rookie
Oh I didn't know that you were allowed to vote for 5 chars. I think I only voted Y.link so I'll complete (by staying on possible releases. Sadly I know Young Sothe has no chances :/)
+1 Young link
+1 Lyn
+1 Micaiah
+1 Isaac
+1 Andy (Because I prefer Andy over Sami simply :/)

+1/2 Skull Kid (I can afford myself to put him in the 1/2 with those hidden "#47" message in 2 videos of the Pmdt. I can consider he's almost in =) )

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
+1 Captain N, Fox clone, Game Boy replaces reflector device model, Pauses opponents for a few seconds as FS (wouldn't be very flashy & thus not need as much work as other FS's). Was center of the 1st major crossover of Nintendo properties, historically important not to Nintendo in a way to SSB's history as well. & who else fights with a NES Zapper anyway?

+1 Sami

+1 Red/Pokemon Trainer (with Leaf alt)

+1 Toad

+1 Krystal
Captain N isn't eligible. He doesn't appear in Brawl

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Nester doesn't appear in Brawl, but Brawl appeared in Nintendo Power.
The number 47 first appeared in the second April Fools video where Slippy was first 'announced'.
Issue 47 of Nintendo Power? Star Fox for SNES, released in 1993.
1993 was the last year Nester appeared in Nintendo Power, until he resurfaced for a celebration comic in issue 100.
Issue 100 of Nintendo Power? Star Fox 64.

Conclusion? Nester confirmed. I'll begin accepting your +1's now.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
The number 47 first appeared in the second April Fools video where Slippy was first 'announced'.
1993 was the last year Nester appeared in Nintendo Power, until he resurfaced for a celebration comic in issue 100.

-1 Nester
Lol I was just about to do something similar but with banjo and kazooie

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Except the files for said character would be found right away, so it wouldn't be that secret after all.
might you be underestimating the number of people who just slap this on an SD card and start playing?
not everyone datamines things straight away.
if people want to spoil the (hypothetical) surprise for themselves then it's their loss. but again, this is a terribly "what if" scenario, that i think i'll stop pursuing.

i was waiting for a half life 3 joke.

Last edited:

archedmaid

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but they should change at least one of the spacies FS with an Arwing that controls similar to dragon Yoshi.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I am curious what the results look like now with all these new votes that came in.
I know who you're interested in. :p

We haven't counted yet, but assuming all the people who just cast Sami votes haven't already cast their votes before (I'm sure I've seen at least a couple use votes earlier in the thread. In fact, I'm positive Falkoopa and BluePikmin11 already voted for Sami very early on), then she's gone up by ~24 points, which will put her above Saki and below Skull Kid.

But again, that's assuming that every single person who just cast votes hasn't already used theirs earlier, so take that with a grain of salt until we officially count them up. It may ultimately be lower than that.

Last edited:

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
So I haven't read through the whole thread.... but I'd like to put out the idea of Aang from ATLA. I think that would be hype af.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
So I haven't read through the whole thread.... but I'd like to put out the idea of Aang from ATLA. I think that would be hype af.
Take the time to read the rules please. Only characters originally included in Brawl in some shape or form are eligible to be voted on.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
when's Shrek though
Whenever we get Goku, Vegeta, Naruto, Sasuke, Ichigo, Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Simon Belmont, Dracula, Santa Claus, Nathan Drake, James Bond, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Geno. I hear they are in pretty high demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom