• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBrosPM

Smash Cadet
(I made some votes long before Smash 4 was released, So I'm gonna change them now)

There are 3 Characters I would absolutely like to See in PM:
-Isaac (Golden Sun)
-Ray MK III (Custom Robo)
-Sami (Advance Wars)

All these 3 characters are The main characters of Unrepresented Popular series! Isaac would probably have a completely new moveset, but Ray could be inspired of Samus and R.O.B., While Sami can be a clone of Snake!

Then, if even more characters could be added:
-Micaiah (Fire Emblem): A Female Fire Emblem character! Could be a clone of Zelda (A FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER WITHOUT A SWORD!!!)
-Dark Samus (Metroid): Ridley is too divisive and controversial (Do you imagine Ridley Fighting a bigger version of himself in The Adventure mode?!) Dark Samus is One of the main antagonist of The series, and is WAY easier to make! She would be a clone a Samus!

So here are My 5 new definitives +1 votes! I hope these characters would be in!

I'm gonna downvote...
-Ridley
-Skull Kid (Zelda series is Over represented)
-Sword Ganon/Black Shadow (I recently mained Cloned Ganondorf! Don't Touch him!)
-Lyn (I don't like green haired-girls... Nah, I just don't want another Fire Emblem swordfighter!)
-King K. Roll (Ugly, and I Feel like the characters I did mentionned earlier are WAY more important and easier to make!)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If we get five votes, I'd kinda like to add a few to my previous ones if possible...

Before I +1'd Sami and Isaac. I'd also like to add:

+1 King K. Rool
+1 Dixie Kong
+1 Lip

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Ray could be inspired of Samus and R.O.B.
On the contrary. I don't see Ray being anything like Samus besides the fact they use weapons. Ray's diverse weapon pool functions nothing like Samus' arsenal even in the slightest. As for R.O.B. The only thing he shares in common with R.O.B. is an air-dash. Ray's is a lot different though. It is about as different as Mewtwo's psychic float to Peach's float. Ray's air dash in the Custom Robo titles is extremely quick and jerky, making him incredibly difficult to hit. To put it in perspective, his air speed is about like Fox or C. Falcon's running speed. But his ground speed would be about like Ganondorf's, if not a little faster.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Holy crap, did someone do some Sami rallying post somewhere that I wasn't aware of?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Honestly, to me, I feel these three are the trinity of forgotten Nintendo titles. They look so damn great together and it would honestly be a real shame to see them not come together in Project M. They balance out a setting of Past, Present, and Future quite nicely, and therefore are quite distinguished from one another in terms of playstyle and appearance. The other remaining slots can go to the deserving Metroid and DK reps accordingly.

(Credit Shin F. for the image and Vaanrose for the Sami render.)
That was beautiful, dude.
1/2 Sami
1/2 Ray
1/2 Isaac

Here, have a high five.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
If Pichu and Young Link can't be characters, wouldn't they just be great alternate costumes? xP
No. Their scaling, model size, and structure does not match the bone set of Pikachu and Toon Link accordingly. They can not be costumes.

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
No. Their scaling, model size, and structure does not match the bone set of Pikachu and Toon Link accordingly. They can not be costumes.
Oh, okay, I gotcha. But wait, then how did somebody do this for Brawl? Unless the Project M engine isn't compatible with these kind of models, I suppose?

Arteen

Smash Lord
+1 Isaac
+1 Pichu
+1 Dark Samus
+1 Bowser Jr
+1 Ganondorf/Black Shadow
Can I update my +1 votes from last year, especially considering Bowser Jr's in SSB4 and Ganondorf/Black Shadow thing is likely not happening?

+1 Isaac
+1 Sami
+1 Pichu
+1 Dark Samus
+1 K Rool

Isaac's obvious. He'd be a perfect character for Smash with a ton of moveset potential. The series could use a character, especially after getting snubbed by SSB4. I'm not going to rehash everything he brings to the table, but there's just so much he can do!

I have no idea how I left Sami off last time. I loved Advance Wars and after a dozen games that series definitely deserves a character. She'd be an easy clone character by basing her off of Snake, but there are a bunch of other ways to design her, too.

A rebalanced Pichu would just be a ton of fun, and it's the one last Melee character still missing from Project M.

Metroid could use another character, so Dark Samus seems like a good choice. She's not quite as "big" as Ridley, but she's much more practical to include. Obviously she'd be based off of Samus, but she has a bunch of unique moves and abilities to make her distinct.

K Rool because heck, why not? He's a worthy character and it's not like he'll be in a Smash game anytime soon.

Honestly Isaac and Sami would be my dream team. Anyone else is just gravy.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Oh, okay, I gotcha. But wait, then how did somebody do this for Brawl? Unless the Project M engine isn't compatible with these kind of models, I suppose?

It has nothing to do with the models themselves. It has to do with model size and scaling comparison to the character you are putting the model over. Toon Link and Young Link are completely different sizes, therefore the hit and hurt bubbles will not match up. I'm no expert, but I know that it simply can't and won't be done.

D

Deleted member

+1 vote:
Paper Mario- Like him and he is unique, just look at the Paper Mario thread in the Smash 4 Character Discussion.
Skull Kid- Its a shame he was only an AT in Smash 4. Some pretty nice ideas are out there for him.

Pichu- Veteran and I like him. Probably could declone him a bit and maybe make his electric attacks do (a lot?) more damage/knockback than Pikachu but have a higher risk.
Ridley- Do I need to explain? As for proportions, I guess it would be neat if he was twice the size of Bowser or something :p

+1/2 vote:
King K. Rool- Unique, heavy, requested, cannons/pirate theme. Maybe even traps with the electricity transmitters, but you need 2?
Isaac- Unique with his magic and popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
+1 vote:
Paper Mario- Like him and he is unique, just look at the Paper Mario thread in the Smash 4 Character Discussion.
Skull Kid- Its a shame he was only an AT in Smash 4. Some pretty nice ideas are out there for him.

Pichu- Veteran and I like him. Probably could declone him a bit and maybe make his electric attacks do (a lot?) more damage/knockback than Pikachu but have a higher risk.
Ridley- Do I need to explain? As for proportions, I guess it would be neat if he was twice the size of Bowser or something :p
Riki the Legendary Heropon- We need some Xenoblade in PM! Riki is cool and has a nice personality, his arts in Xenoblade are pretty unique like Freezinate/Burninate/Lurgy for elemental attacks, and Yoink, Roly Poly, or Riki is Angry for oddball specials. His Biter weapon could have a nice sweetspot on the mouth and weak otherwise. But the biggest reason I would like him is the tension meter that starts at middle and can get worse or better depending on how well you do. If you perform good, you get rewarded, but if you suck... you suck. His match ups would be pretty extreme. He could get small buffs (small damage/knockback/both multiplier on some moves) and his specials could be affected a bit more than that; like Lurgy getting more range/damaging opponents over time for a longer duration. He could utilize Happy Happy to raise his tension meter a tad. Just an oddball idea I want to throw out there.

+1/2 vote:
King K. Rool- Unique, heavy, requested, cannons/pirate theme. Maybe even traps with the electricity transmitters, but you need 2?
Isaac- Unique with his magic and popular.
You can't vote for Riki. He has not appeared in Brawl. Please read the rules.

Shin F.

Smash Master

It's possible in Project M, but would mess with the hitboxes and hurtboxes of the characters, which would therefor change the character's normal meta for those costumes, which Project M Dev Team would most certainly be against happening.

Last edited:

Dairantō Smash Brothers

Smash Historian
NNID
UltraMariio
3DS FC
2638-0093-3000
It's possible in Project M, but would mess with the hitboxes and hurtboxes of the characters, which would therefor change the character's normal meta for those costumes, which Project M Dev Team would most certainly be against happening.
Okay, sorry. Pardon my ignorance, I'm not the best when it comes to Smash modding... xP

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I was directed here from someone asking people to vote for Takamaru... I had no idea this whole thing with Project M was happening, maybe because I've never played it and don't look at news for it.

...Nevertheless, after reading the original post here, I'm going to go ahead and vote.

The five characters I'll vote +1 for are:

1: Isaac.
One, he's apparently the most popular choice and I have no problem with him anyway.
Two, I've been intrigued by the Golden Sun games for some time after a friend told me how fun they are. I still haven't played one though...

2: Waluigi
If we went by Sakurai's definition of Smash Bros. as party games, Waluigi would still not be playable outside any party games if he got in. But I like this guy too, kind of. So I'm voting for him.

3: Tom Nook
I got compelled to vote for this guy the moment I saw the PMBR (still don't know what the last two letters stand for) is apparently considering him. I don't know how to put it into words, but I think it would be awesome and hilarious to see Tom Nook be a fighter.

4: Takamaru
I'm bowing to the aforementioned guy's request, mostly because he wants this guy to get in and I'm sure I won't be affected by all this anyway. (If only because I don't play PM.) But seeing Takamaru's redesign and original game makes me think he's kind of cool too.

5: Pokémon Trainer/Red
At this point I'm voting for him even if he has no chance of getting nominated. I really would like to to see him fight on his own if apparently the PMBR is considering him. Not that it'll happen. But I'm voting for him anyway.

Eh... The reasons I have are more opinions than anything. Sorry about that.
Since I didn't come here for much else, no half- or down-votes from me.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I was directed here from someone asking people to vote for Takamaru... I had no idea this whole thing with Project M was happening, maybe because I've never played it and don't look at news for it.

...Nevertheless, after reading the original post here, I'm going to go ahead and vote.

The five characters I'll vote +1 for are:

1: Isaac.
One, he's apparently the most popular choice and I have no problem with him anyway.
Two, I've been intrigued by the Golden Sun games for some time after a friend told me how fun they are. I still haven't played one though...

2: Waluigi
If we went by Sakurai's definition of Smash Bros. as party games, Waluigi would still not be playable outside any party games if he got in. But I like this guy too, kind of. So I'm voting for him.

3: Tom Nook
I got compelled to vote for this guy the moment I saw the PMBR (still don't know what the last two letters stand for) is apparently considering him. I don't know how to put it into words, but I think it would be awesome and hilarious to see Tom Nook be a fighter.

4: Takamaru
I'm bowing to the aforementioned guy's request, mostly because he wants this guy to get in and I'm sure I won't be affected by all this anyway. (If only because I don't play PM.) But seeing Takamaru's redesign and original game makes me think he's kind of cool too.

5: Pokémon Trainer/Red
At this point I'm voting for him even if he has no chance of getting nominated. I really would like to to see him fight on his own if apparently the PMBR is considering him. Not that it'll happen. But I'm voting for him anyway.

Eh... The reasons I have are more opinions than anything. Sorry about that.
Since I didn't come here for much else, no half- or down-votes from me.
You read the rules, explained your thoughts in-depth, and conceded that your ideas might be opinion based despite your desires to see them come to fruition, showing humility and allowing room for discussion.

Not to put you on the spot, but you're basically the ideal user for this type of voting process - I wish there were more like you on this thread.

Hong

The Strongest
+1 for Sami.

Non-represented franchise. A lot of unexplored territory when it comes to modern military weaponry, especially when you factor in Advance Wars' unrealistic art style. I think there is plenty of room for original ranged ranged attacks, even as a variation of Snake.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
+1 for Sami.

Non-represented franchise. A lot of unexplored territory when it comes to modern military weaponry, especially when you factor in Advance Wars' unrealistic art style. I think there is plenty of room for original ranged ranged attacks, even as a variation of Snake.
Eeyyyy~! It's Hong~! Welcome to the thread~!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
You read the rules, explained your thoughts in-depth, and conceded that your ideas might be opinion based despite your desires to see them come to fruition, showing humility and allowing room for discussion.

Not to put you on the spot, but you're basically the ideal user for this type of voting process - I wish there were more like you on this thread.
Really? Well, thanks, I appreciate the praise. Even more when it's from one of the people who are (kinda sorta) moderating this thread. Not to disregard anyone else, of course, but, you know.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Sami called in some re-inforcements. Afterall, her specialty is infantry. Hahaha
Sami for Project M!

Sami has an abnormally large butt crack~

+1 to Starman, would be a dope character and is pretty much the second poster character for the Mother games.

Also, we should start a campaign to get a playable Sandbag. Because it would make sandbagging viable :troll:

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
+1 Isaac - Golden Sun deserves representation, he has the moveset and popularity. (Also personal bias)
+1 Sami - Advance Wars as above, Sami specifically because I've never played an AW game and am just following the last few posts we need more females in PM, and redheads.
+1 King K. Rool - DK Rep, a villains, also very popular, iconic, unique.
+1 Ridley - Metroid Rep, another villain. A bit divisive, but then so are the existing clones and the majority of potential newcomers
+1 Samurai Goroh - F-Zero should have a second, and I can use another compatable mod to de-clone Ganondorf, so Goroh it is.

+1/2 Ray - Probably deserves it more than Goroh, but oh well I'm biased.
+1/2 Dixie Kong - Backup vote for DK representation.
+1/2 Andy - Backup vote for AW representation.

+1/2 Saki - He has a sword that is a gun. This is a good enough reason.
+1/2 Takamaru - My preferred choice of the missing Retros.

-1 Any more Pokemon - we don't need any more pokemon, there are already 7, and no massive omissions. I am neutral on Red as a standalone Trainer though. Not really needed, but could be interesting.
-1 Any more versions of either Link or Zelda (including Tetra). I do not want three versions of the same character,and Zelda is not exactly under-repped. I am neutral on other Zelda Newcomers.
-1 Any Fire Emblem character that is not Micaiah or Lyn. There aren't any mages (asides from Zelda & debatably Ness and Lucas) in Smash so I am neutral on Micaiah. Lyn was the first international Protag, so i'll exempt her from the downvote (essentially she is the Marth of the West). Other than that there are enough FE reps already.
-100 Any Metal Gear or Sonic Characters. This is Smash Bros, not Sonic Fights or PSASBR. There are too many deserving Nintendo characters to add more 3rd Parties when limited to those that appeared in Brawl.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Sami called in some re-inforcements. Afterall, her specialty is infantry. Hahaha
Sami for Project M!

didn't know she was a contortionist. and i don't think that's how hips and butts work.

-1 Any Fire Emblem character that is not Micaiah or Lyn.
technically speaking they're really the only two who are in the running anyway. sigurd and hector are out thanks to the marth and ike alts, and i doubt there's much support for any of the other pre-brawl lords. including eirika and ephraim. i mean, i've seen votes for them, but not enough to actually put them on the ranking thing yet.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
didn't know she was a contortionist. and i don't think that's how hips and butts work.

technically speaking they're really the only two who are in the running anyway. sigurd and hector are out thanks to the marth and ike alts, and i doubt there's much support for any of the other pre-brawl lords. including eirika and ephraim. i mean, i've seen votes for them, but not enough to actually put them on the ranking thing yet.
They are still technically in the running, because they haven't officially yet been disconfirmed, so it's not grounds for removing a negative vote. For all practical purposes, they are out of the running though, but that's a different story. Speaking of which, I'd only say Shadow is probably disconfirmd on the basis of costumes. I think there was another super close lookalike, but I can't remember

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Oh, that is simple. Their proportions were edited to not be too different from character they are put over (just look at Young Link in those images and you will se Link, but with a bit bigger head) and they most likely use PSAs for those models. Young Link model shown there also has sword that is too short - it must be at least 2x longer to match hitboxes.

Maybe we should post moveset limitations as part of the rules? Not everything can be done with mods obviously...at least for now...with main issue being that articles, things projectiles and most of the Final Smash stuff are made of, are impossible to copy to other characters, replicate properly or edit it in such way it is really different from original article. That will help with character choices i guess.

(Do you imagine Ridley Fighting a bigger version of himself in The Adventure mode?!)
Impossible since version 3.0. When you choose SSE, it sends you to training mode. Same happens when you choose tournament mode, but with rotation mode being the outcome...if those 2 are separate...didn't used those for a while. Even if it will work, there is Other M Ridley, who is Ridley's clone, not same thing. Adventure mode will never be accessible again with Project M since characters lack some of the important animations required for SSE and bosses will have those characters' voices and sounds. Also, Mario can fight Doctor Mario in Melee and SSB4, so, its not that bad. That is your opinion though.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That didn't stop the fusion suit.
http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2014/09/23_samus01.jpg
Notice the missing shoulderpads?
Removed their polygons or verticles. Simple. It can't be compared. If Olimar would be rigged over her or someone that doesn't matches his proportions and work, then it could be, but not if something was just removed from the model that perfectly fits original bone set and model.

Last edited:

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Removed their polygons or verticles. Simple. It can't be compared. If Olimar would be rigged over her or someone that doesn't matches his proportions and work, then it could be, but not if something was just removed from the model that perfectly fits original bone set and model.
Why couldn't that be applicable to Tink and Pikachu?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why couldn't that be applicable to Tink and Pikachu?
Because its doing something completly different. It is rigging a character over another character when their proportions don't match. Wanna know what happens in such case? This abomination:

Look at the model in the middle and at the model on the right. Model in the middle is what happened when someone rigged model on the right over Charizard, who obviously doesn't matches Ridley. Does it looks good? No. Not at all. This isn't even the worst example of it happening. It won't be as bad on Pichu/Pikachu alt (but head would be too big, everything else would be too small and nothing will match original hitboxes properly and that is bad). Adult Link would be better for young Link, but his head will be too big too and proportions won't properly match either. If Tink would be used, then it would be as bad as with this Ridley hack i showed (head too small, everything else too big to match hitboxes). Alts like Light Suit still match Samus' proportions because its same character used, so, their proportions are nearly same. Alts like Armor Mewtwo are just parts added to the model, so, developers don't have to worry about anything.
Also, we can't have Shadow alt model because his spikes are bent in opposite way and Sonic's spikes are animated to be bent down obviously, so, it can't be done. Not that he has a chance to appear at all...

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes. It is quite logical that a Pit Bull's skeleton can fit inside a Siamese Cat's body and still function properly. We can all celebrate this discovery by swallowing a watermelon whole.

Pikadorf/Manchu is a very exaggerated example. By the way, i want to give +1 vote for Pikadorf. Is this possible?

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Yes. It is quite logical that a Pit Bull's skeleton can fit inside a Siamese Cat's body and still function properly. We can all celebrate this discovery by swallowing a watermelon whole.

Pikadorf is both terrifying and amazing at the same time.

Oh and +1 Sami

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Pikadorf/Manchu is a very exaggerated example. By the way, i want to give +1 vote for Pikadorf. Is this possible?
That was the joke. :alakadoof:

But no. Pikadorf is not an eligible candidate. But might I direct you towards some of our other great candidates of equal value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom