• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I've been sitting here trying to think of a single character that would actually make me mad, and I really can't come up with one, haha.

At the very worst, I'd be apathetic toward the character's inclusion. This would probably happen if a new MGS character was announced. I'd be like "oh, okay. hope he's fun!"

So yeah, it's kind of funny that people would actually be mad about it. Makes me feel sad, too, cause I know that's true. >_O People raging at the PMBR for making a new character... maaaan.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Only the Ganon/Black Shadow situation is worth having some semblance of anger over.

I could give out a well thought argument but it's much cooler to just say bcuz Melee.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Only the Ganon/Black Shadow situation is worth having some semblance of anger over.

I could give out a well thought argument but it's much cooler to just say bcuz Melee.

It's funny - even with that one, I don't think I'd be angry, and I'm one of the "leave Ganon alone" people. It just seems so weird to get mad at the PMBR when they are such wonderful, awesome, hard-working people.

I think I can liken it to a mother cooking Thanksgiving dinner. She gets the turkey perfect, the stuffing is beautiful and hits you in the stomach with nostalgia, the cranberry sauce is juicy and delicious, the gravy is mouth-watering, the potatoes and sweet potatoes are so good that you can't wait for them to cool down, all the other sides are all amazing, the dessert is so good you know you'll eat it even though you're stuffed... but then instead of buying mountain dew, she picked up sprite. And kids that would say "Mom what's WRONG with you, I wanted Mountain Dew for Thanksgiving UGH!!!!!" are the kids that would be mad at the PMBR for adding a character they didn't like.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's funny - even with that one, I don't think I'd be angry, and I'm one of the "leave Ganon alone" people. It just seems so weird to get mad at the PMBR when they are such wonderful, awesome, hard-working people.

I think I can liken it to a mother cooking Thanksgiving dinner. She gets the turkey perfect, the stuffing is beautiful and hits you in the stomach with nostalgia, the cranberry sauce is juicy and delicious, the gravy is mouth-watering, the potatoes and sweet potatoes are so good that you can't wait for them to cool down, all the other sides are all amazing, the dessert is so good you know you'll eat it even though you're stuffed... but then instead of buying mountain dew, she picked up sprite. And kids that would say "Mom what's WRONG with you, I wanted Mountain Dew for Thanksgiving UGH!!!!!" are the kids that would be mad at the PMBR for adding a character they didn't like.
Actually, adding a new character would be like adding another dish to thanksgiving dinner.

Ganon/Black Shadow would be like dropping the Turkey for a Duck that tastes like turkey (impossible most likely but go with it) along with a new dish.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Actually, adding a new character would be like adding another dish to thanksgiving dinner.

Ganon/Black Shadow would be like dropping the Turkey for a Duck that tastes like turkey (impossible most likely but go with it) along with a new dish.

Maybe turducken?

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Skull Kid has 2 stickers, and was confirmed today to not be in SSB4 as a playable character.
So MAKE IT HAPPEN PMBR!

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
If you ask me this kind of crap shouldn't be allowed. Down votes are bad enough as is, but downvoting literally everyone you don't actively want is a real douche move.

Whoa I did not mean to offend anyone. However with that said I personally would not like to see a lot of the characters mentioned. As for Reasons I guess I could list off a few. Most of the ones I will not mention is just because I feel the character is not well enough known. As for my major hates being 1 Ridley just seems way to silly to have as a playable character. Why not just make master hand a playable character while you are at it. It just does not seem right to make bosses or mini bosses playable characters even if they are "fixed" it just ruins the apeal to them. 2 is with out a doubt Dark Samus we already have a Samus and I think another one is pretty pointless (Infact we already have 2 Samus's if you wanna count zero suit which even link only has 2 of himself) Feel free to count my down votes as void However there is some legit reasoning for Ridley and Samus.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
Giga bowser was more of a side/bonus boss to me. As for Bowser in adventure mode I can give half credit for that, but he still wasn't like a real boss (Being super powered and at some kind of real advantage). At least in my eyes, but then again all I am offering is my opinions here.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Giga bowser was more of a side/bonus boss to me. As for Bowser in adventure mode I can give half credit for that, but he still wasn't like a real boss (Being super powered and at some kind of real advantage). At least in my eyes, but then again all I am offering is my opinions here.
What about Master Hand?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Giga bowser was more of a side/bonus boss to me.
The fact is that Giga Bowser was an unplayable boss version of Bowser.

Secondly, there were specific conditions to face Crazy Hand in Classic Mode as well.

Lastly, you fight Giga Bowser (alongside Mewtwo and Ganondorf) in Event 51.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
What about Master Hand?
Master hand is totally a boss in my eyes and just kinda goes back to my original point. He was the perfect example of a boss with special rules/advantage. Both him and Ridley could just fly around the stage and move on and off the screen plus they had health bars and could not be knocked off the stage. They in my eyes were to special to nerfed down to having to jump around be knocked off a stage. Again these are only my opinions.

Malion

Smash Ace
Let's get skull kid in this! He can pull out the ocarina, play one note and laugh. Repeated uses of the taunt gives you slightly different pitches of the ocarina.

(This was a particularly funny part of MM for me when skull kid steals your ocarina, laughing after each note... I left the game running during this for like 10 minutes and he just kept blowing and laughing. It made me sad to hit A and move on with the story)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Master hand is totally a boss in my eyes and just kinda goes back to my original point. He was the perfect example of a boss with special rules/advantage. Both him and Ridley could just fly around the stage and move on and off the screen plus they had health bars and could not be knocked off the stage. They in my eyes were to special to nerfed down to having to jump around be knocked off a stage. Again these are only my opinions.

I get what you're saying - once the character has appeared in Smash as something very powerful, it's weird for them to then be playable as something less powerful.

However, Ridley is a special case because he's constantly changing sizes, shapes, forms, powers, etc in the Metroid series itself. So I don't think there'd be anything out of place about him scaling down a bit so that he could go 1 on 1 with his old rival once more.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
I get what you're saying - once the character has appeared in Smash as something very powerful, it's weird for them to then be playable as something less powerful.

However, Ridley is a special case because he's constantly changing sizes, shapes, forms, powers, etc in the Metroid series itself. So I don't think there'd be anything out of place about him scaling down a bit so that he could go 1 on 1 with his old rival once more.
I must say I really enjoy your argument and I must admit does have me thinking differently about it. I did not know that he can change forms. If he has a more huminoidish form I would actually like to see that. Also now that I think back to the Giga Bowser statement It wasn't that Giga Bowser was nerfed and made playable as Bowser it is that they buffed Bowser into Giga Bowser and made him a boss.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ridley has had altering sizes even with the Smash Bros. series itself:

Heck, even Ridley and Meta Ridley in Brawl are different sizes despite being the same being from the same game.

Kor of Memory

Smash Rookie
Even though Ridley has changed size, albeit a very small change, none of those changes have really put him in a comparable size to any other smash player.

The last time Ridley was even close to size of Samus was roughly 25 years ago. Since then his torso has been roughly 3-4 times the size of Samus. Obviously adding wingspan makes that it's own issue. It's not even like Ridley changes shape and size on a whim in the Metroid games either, it's more just Developer preference. It's not like how Bowser grows and shrinks from Kamek's magic, and things of that nature.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There are TONS of size inconsistencies in Smash Bros. Even amongst characters within the same series of each other. Link should only go up to Ganondorf's waist for example. Amongst Pokemon, Pikachu is supposed to be tiny in comparison to more humanoid Pokemon like Mewtwo.

Also, Ridley, Ace Space Pirate Attorney, has this to say in regards to the issue of size in Smash Bros. (where even Sakurai himself has gone on the record to say he goes against canonicity in regards to size for the sake of balance):

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
So, people seem to like the idea of a Snake clone. Lets go through some possibilities.

Sami
She seems to be the most popular choice, since she's from an unrepped series AND a female. Only real problem is that she isn't the main character of her series.

Andy
This is more of a stretch as a Snake clone, but since he's the main character of Advance Wars it makes more sense to have him, He'd seem better as a semiclone.

Liquid Snake
Snake's actual clone. They had the same training, they come from the same series, seems the most fitting.

Waluigi
We're getting crazy now. Think about it, they have similar body types, Waluigi's signature weapon is a bob-omb, he's known for setting traps from the Mario Party series, its scary how I didn't see this connection until recently.

Slippy
There are many weapons in the Star Fox series unused in Smash that would fit in Snake's moveset. Slippy seems to be the best choice since his signature weapon is the Grenade, now who uses grenades...?

Krystal
Same reasoning for Slippy except that her body type is more similar to Snake's. Plus she's a female, Although she's generally hated.

Anybody have any other ideas not listed here?

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I haven't done this in ages so I'm officially adding someone to my vote list. I'm not ashamed to admit that it was spurred by seeing Skull Kid in beautiful HD, but here we go:

Up Votes:
+1 Pichu: Short answer, I play him a ton in Melee. Long answer, read the damn thread.
+1 Bowser Jr: I love Bowser's moveset and think a fast powerful version would be good fun
+1 Skull Kid: In an unprecedented manner for me, I'm voting for Skull Kid based on his merits as a character, not on the gameplay he'd offer. Skull Kid is cool.

Neutral Votes:
I don't remember what I had here, but it really doesn't matter since they've already been counted once.

Down Votes:
-1 3rd Party Characters: They don't belong in Smash. Nuff said.
-1 Star Fox Characters: We have enough spacies and I hate spacies. We also have enough characters for the franchise given how painfully mediocre it and everything spawned from it is.
-1 Black Shadow/Ganondorf: Literally the only character addition that actively hurts veteran players.

Un Votes:
0 Isaac (was originally a down vote): I still think he couldn't be done justice through the clone engine and he shouldn't be in, but at the end of the day as long as Pichu gets in I could give a rats ass about who any of the other 4 clone engine characters bar the ones above.

0 Dixie (was originally a down vote): Dixie is stupid and never should have been the star of DKC3. She doesn't deserve to ever be in Smash unless it's as a counterpart to Diddy. I don't get how so many people could want the sidekick of a sidekick and her hair makes her easily one of the most difficult characters to animate on this thread, but at the end of the day I wouldn't mind seeing the costar of my favorite game ever popping in.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
So, people seem to like the idea of a Snake clone. Lets go through some possibilities.

Sami
She seems to be the most popular choice, since she's from an unrepped series AND a female. Only real problem is that she isn't the main character of her series.

Andy
This is more of a stretch as a Snake clone, but since he's the main character of Advance Wars it makes more sense to have him, He'd seem better as a semiclone.

Liquid Snake
Snake's actual clone. They had the same training, they come from the same series, seems the most fitting.

Waluigi
We're getting crazy now. Think about it, they have similar body types, Waluigi's signature weapon is a bob-omb, he's known for setting traps from the Mario Party series, its scary how I didn't see this connection until recently.

Slippy
There are many weapons in the Star Fox series unused in Smash that would fit in Snake's moveset. Slippy seems to be the best choice since his signature weapon is the Grenade, now who uses grenades...?

Krystal
Same reasoning for Slippy except that her body type is more similar to Snake's. Plus she's a female, Although she's generally hated.

Anybody have any other ideas not listed here?

I also love Jeff as a Snake clone, but that one would be tougher because Jeff doesn't have a really lanky body like Snake. He'd probably be about Ness's height. Still, that might make for an interesting take on the character!

Shin F.

Smash Master
I also love Jeff as a Snake clone, but that one would be tougher because Jeff doesn't have a really lanky body like Snake. He'd probably be about Ness's height. Still, that might make for an interesting take on the character!

Same, but I'm also actually very interested in the idea of having Waluigi as a Snake clone... I say this as someone who very much dislikes both Wario and Waluigi. The idea is certainly a unique way to separate him from the others.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Up Vote
—Ridley
Ganondorf / Black Shadow
Skull Kid
Waluigi
—?

1/2 Vote
—Mask Link [Multi-clone: Toon Link (Human), Ivysaur (Deku), Donkey Kong (Goron), Captain Falcon (Zora), Link (Fierce Deity)]
—King K. Rool
Toad
Isaac
Bowser Jr.
—Palutena
—Toon Zelda / Sheik (Tetra)
—Claus (Masked Man)
—Petey Piranha
—King Boo
—Kamek
—Rosalina
—Sukapon
Karate Kong

Down Vote
All Fire Emblem characters
—All Third Party characters
—Dark Samus
—Saki
Pichu
—Plusle & Minun

I'll be back with a fifth Up Vote in the future.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
1/2 Vote
—Mask Link [Multi-clone: Toon Link (Human), Ivysaur (Deku), Donkey Kong (Goron), Captain Falcon (Zora), Link (Fierce Deity)]

You do realize that every single one of these characters would use a separate one of the 5 clone engine slots making him the only new character, right? Also you need to provide a reason for all your cons.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
You do realize that every single one of these characters would use a separate one of the 5 clone engine slots making him the only new character, right? Also you need to provide a reason for all your cons.
He should also add in all the other transforming mask like the one that makes him a dancer, the cow one, the one that makes him go faster, and the one that makes him look like a Pikachu

Shin F.

Smash Master
Waluigi shooting missiles and smoking sigs? NOW THAT`S SOMETHING I WOULD PAY TO SEE!
WAAAA!

Hundred bucks, and the fanart's all yours. JK but that would seriously be awesome, he could have bob-ombs and bullet bills and crap.
He should also add in all the other transforming mask like the one that makes him a dancer, the cow one, the one that makes him go faster, and the one that makes him look like a Pikachu
Don't forget a Kafei Mask that actually transforms him into Kafei. Oh, and Keaton Mask too. That one's iconic. Oh, what the hell. Give him all the masks! Majora's Mask, too!

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
WAAAA!

Don't forget a Kafei Mask that actually transforms him into Kafei. Oh, and Keaton Mask too. That one's iconic. Oh, what the hell. Give him all the masks! Majora's Mask, too!
YEAH! Actually...... What if they added in Young Link (No mask gimmicks) with a taunt that would make him switch through purely aesthetic masks?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is a lot of ideas floating around for a Snake clone (Sami, Liquid). However, there is also another good choice for a Snake clone, and would finally give F-Zero a second playable character:
Pico

Pico is one of the four original F-Zero pilots, making his debut in the first F-Zero released in 1990. Since then, he has been a part of the starting roster for ever F-Zero game except Maximum Velocity (which had no F-Zero pilot veterans).

He was also on the cover to F-Zero GX (alongside the three other original pilots):

Although he is a F-Zero pilot, like Falcon, he does other things outside of race track. He still operates as a notorious hitman, and before he became a F-Zero pilot he was a member of his planet's elite special forces and carries out a number of dangerous missions.

Pico's aggressive driving style is said to have caused the great crash in the F-Zero universe, which killed several pilots and nearly got the sport of F-Zero banned. Despite this, Pico still drives the F-Zero Grand Prix as aggressive as ever much to the chagrin of in-universe F-Zero fans.

Pico is the only non-villainous pilot to which the F-Zero interviewer, Mr. Zero, is afraid of.

Pico also likes to collect knives, which he says "cut so well..."

If Fire Emblem gets four playable characters in Project M, and Mother gets three, then F-Zero certainly deserves a second playable character.

Here is some media of Pico:

Shin F.

Smash Master
YEAH! Actually...... What if they added in Young Link (No mask gimmicks) with a taunt that would make him switch through purely aesthetic masks?

As long as he would have something unique in his moveset, I would be okay with this 100%. I personally wouldn't mind having an extra Link. I wonder what they would do with him... still, I would rather have Skull Kid.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
There is a lot of ideas floating around for a Snake clone (Sami, Liquid). However, there is also another good choice for a Snake clone, and would finally give F-Zero a second playable character:
Pico

Pico is one of the four original F-Zero pilots, making his debut in the first F-Zero released in 1990. Since then, he has been a part of the starting roster for ever F-Zero game except Maximum Velocity (which had no F-Zero pilot veterans).

He was also on the cover to F-Zero GX (alongside the three other original pilots):

Although he is a F-Zero pilot, like Falcon, he does other things outside of race track. He still operates as a notorious hitman, and before he became a F-Zero pilot he was a member of his planet's elite special forces and carries out a number of dangerous missions.

Pico's aggressive driving style is said to have caused the great crash in the F-Zero universe, which killed several pilots and nearly got the sport of F-Zero banned. Despite this, Pico still drives the F-Zero Grand Prix as aggressive as ever much to the chagrin of in-universe F-Zero fans.

Pico is the only non-villainous pilot to which the F-Zero interviewer, Mr. Zero, is afraid of.

Pico also likes to collect knives, which he says "cut so well..."

If Fire Emblem gets four playable characters in Project M, and Mother gets three, then F-Zero certainly deserves a second playable character.

Here is some media of Pico:

How did that lizard guy grow his teeth back so fast? Anyway yeah. Pico and Jeff would work. I don't know about their likelihood but if we're looking for a Snake clone they're good fits.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Waluigi, Skull Kid and Ridley.
Also maybe Toad.
This and my life will be complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom