• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
PM might add Isaac in fact, but I think that they are waiting for Smash 4 to release all of its DLC before they release a reveal trailer as to avoid any legal issues if by chance Isaac become a Smash 4 character.
until we are told otherwise, I think it's safe to believe that the PMDT aren't as stringent on using potential sm4sh DLC characters.

besides, it's not like they pulled the plug on Roy or Mewtwo when they were revealed in sm4sh.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
until we are told otherwise, I think it's safe to believe that the PMDT aren't as stringent on using potential sm4sh DLC characters.

besides, it's not like they pulled the plug on Roy or Mewtwo when they were revealed in sm4sh.
I guess, but Roy and Mewtwo were already characters in melee with their movesets known. If a character was released and smash 4 released the same, the varied movesets could cause confusion among fans. Also I'm guessing that PM doesn't want Nintendo to think that they are somehow competing with Smash 4 or anything. I'm just assuming however, I have no idea what the PMDev is upto

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
I guess, but Roy and Mewtwo were already characters in melee with their movesets known. If a character was released and smash 4 released the same, the varied movesets could cause confusion among fans. Also I'm guessing that PM doesn't want Nintendo to think that they are somehow competing with Smash 4 or anything. I'm just assuming however, I have no idea what the PMDev is upto
the two games have very different design philosophies. even though both games eventually added roy and mewtwo, they play very differently in the two games anyway. besides, it's not like the sm4sh devs wouldn't know how much time goes into making a single character for smash (in any format), I sincerely doubt that this would make them think the PMDT is "competing" with them any more than they already are.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
What about Tharja as a potential character? Im surprised hardly anyone mentions her as a character even in the smash 4 boards. :/

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
I guess she does, lol and it's more due to the nature of FE. If you haven't noticed, in Smash(and other crossover fighters too) the big series get their main cast included in the game. The big ones being Mario, Kirby and LoZ, Pokemon is big too and FE is on the come up but the problem is that Pokemon is creature driven series and FE has different characters practically each game so they have no main cast.
In FEs case what you do is just take the main character for one of the games(depending on their importance and potential), I mean you could take one of the supporting characters but then you gotta wonder what makes this supporting character any more important than one from another of the FE games?? What makes Tharja more deserving than any of the other mages in FE history, being popular?? That's not that strong of a reason and she's only appeared in one game like almost everyone else in FE.
Don't get me wrong though, Sakurai really should try to rep the other weapon classes or at least a different sword style. I've had enough of all the royal sword play from Marth, Roy(still like him though) and Lucina lol

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
What about Tharja as a potential character? Im surprised hardly anyone mentions her as a character even in the smash 4 boards. :/
because as much as I'd like that (believe me) it can't even be a thing because nothing in Awakening even existed before Brawl. remember, the PMDT are limiting themselves to characters that are already licensed to appear in Brawl in some way, shape or form.

at least she's going to be one of those Not-Personas in #FE.
1443745503994.jpg

still not entirely convinced that that's a good thing though.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Well in all fairness to Sakurai, the only non-Awakening FE lord who isn't a fighter that immediately comes to mind is Micaiah. The problem is an unfortunate lack of main character variety in the series itself. The most they've varied it up on us (besides Micaiah) is by slapping a lance or an axe on one of our spunky, idealistic, blue-haired lords. Twice they gave our lord red hair just to throw us off.

Micaiah would be a cool addition if we had to have another FE rep though! I just think we have enough lord-swordsman reps haha.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
And to add to that, With the other weapon types It's still just disjointed hitbox shenanigans no matter how you spin it. Michaiah could very easily break that mould, but >michaiah.

Also, axes could lend themselves to thrown attacks, and some characters at least have a bow as a secondary... like Lyn.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Well in all fairness to Sakurai, the only non-Awakening FE lord who isn't a fighter that immediately comes to mind is Micaiah. The problem is an unfortunate lack of main character variety in the series itself. The most they've varied it up on us (besides Micaiah) is by slapping a lance or an axe on one of our spunky, idealistic, blue-haired lords. Twice they gave our lord red hair just to throw us off.

Micaiah would be a cool addition if we had to have another FE rep though! I just think we have enough lord-swordsman reps haha.
Too many swordsmen! I agree hehe, Micaiah could be one of the best options for a Fire Emblem character (And no only for my Micaiah's fanatism xD) and a personal favorite.

And well.. at least Lyn has between the Swordsmen (or in this case... woman xD) more rush-down style and bows :p

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I see that segway into "Lyn for smash!" and I'm actually pretty alright with her, mostly because she's a vastly different kind of character. Actually more than anything, I would see her style as a hit and run. What would be kind of cool is for her design to be around kind of an aggressive tactic, but with a bow special that has lower damage/KB, but with a really high knock back growth. I kinda view her as a fighter that would weave in and out of combat, and maybe have a good bow finisher. BUT IDK.

Still, I'm hoping for Isaac from Golden Sun. I just absolutely loved the first two games of that series, and am sad that Dark Dawn kind of killed the hype and thus future of development for the series. I'd love to see some rep, and I think there's so much they could do with him.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Haha, I see that segway into "Lyn for smash!" and I'm actually pretty alright with her, mostly because she's a vastly different kind of character. Actually more than anything, I would see her style as a hit and run. What would be kind of cool is for her design to be around kind of an aggressive tactic, but with a bow special that has lower damage/KB, but with a really high knock back growth. I kinda view her as a fighter that would weave in and out of combat, and maybe have a good bow finisher. BUT IDK.

Still, I'm hoping for Isaac from Golden Sun. I just absolutely loved the first two games of that series, and am sad that Dark Dawn kind of killed the hype and thus future of development for the series. I'd love to see some rep, and I think there's so much they could do with him.
Wouldn't really call "hit and run" a good playstyle for PM. As far as i know, camping is discouraged here or at least not always a good option (for example, spacies' lasers getting weaker as they travel until they disappear completely and PMDT doesn't really likes touching Melee top tiers, so...) and its annoying anyway (just look at characters like :4pacman:).

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's true, I guess I didn't really mean so much as completely on the extreme spectrum, mostly interested in how to work the bow in there in an interesting way. The extreme end of camping is actually why I started playing way more aggressive/fast characters in smash 4, and also why I started playing this game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Gee, I wonder why people don't care or mention some random Fire Emblem character.

NXero

Smash Apprentice
so

asking the important questions

if she's in, will they implement Lyn's completely canon breast physics?

View attachment 77993
That's an edit, right? It HAS to be. And having a closer look, how would they avoid the upskirts? I don't want more sexy characters in my PM!
I'm gonna play FE7 again, for research!

Y-yeah, I'm getting tired of the Fire Emblem lords, but there's nothing we can do about it. PM has mages and archers (sorta), lances/axes are functionally similar to the variety of swords in the game, so this leaves us with... Manaketes?
Tiki for PM!
Why hasn't this happened yet? Who do I need to kill to make that happen? I'm serious!

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
That's an edit, right? It HAS to be
This animation is exclusive to Lyn doing a standard attack with the Sol Katti. I'd never actually seen this animation, as she's usually just not good enough by the end of the game to have any business using it thanks to it's absurd offsetting stats on her. however in a run that I finished a few days ago where Lyn actually maxed out her speed, strength and skill and could double attack the dragon (afa's drops+ bodyring bias), I had to rely on her, Hector and Canas to finish the job.

it's 100% real, and great.
I see it as a mildly fanservicey reward for having a Lyn that can actually preform well in the last chapter.

I don't want more sexy characters in my PM!
Is OOT Ganondorf just too much for you?

Tiki for PM!
Why hasn't this happened yet? Who do I need to kill to make that happen? I'm serious!
and to step on this dream,

Tiki is not actually present in Brawl in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
random Fire Emblem character.
truth be told, they really advertised the **** out of the characters in Awakening. Tharja's also one of the characters who were in the top 4 of the popularity poll japan held for the cast, there are 4+ different cards of her in that Japanese trading card game, i mentioned before she's going to be a persona thing in FE#, and on top of that, is literally reincarnated as another character in FE Fates. calling her "a random FE character " is a little ignorant.

so really it's not that far left of field a suggestion, were it within the rules. it's comparable to asking for Fiora if we had Shulk, IMO.

Naw, I think he's referring to an extremely sexualized bounty hunter in blue tights with a gun.
:falcon:
or maybe a sneaky guy. :snake:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Tiki is not actually present in Brawl in any way, shape or form.
I realized that after I posted, there's Myrrh, I guess, but there are a lot of FE characters in already, so that may not be possible. Plus transforming into a huge dragon during some attacks would be weird in PM or even Brawl.

And that's why I never saw that animation.

There sure are a lot of sexy characters in PM, huh, but I know some people here find Wario and Lucario sexy, so... the more the merrier, I guess?

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
Ik this is off topic of what char you talking about but if Ninten would be in Pm then I hope he is defensive like in the game.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
So with the way Ganondorf is in-game currently, do you guys think that anyone still actually wants a playable Black Shadow..?

I can't wait for the upcoming Smash 4 Fighter Ballot entry winners are decided, so we can move forward with voting for new characters in PM.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For Fire Emblem characters, considering the limit character pool (and that the PMDT and Sakurai only use Lords [Robin isn't technically a Lord, but he/she basically is]), there's not a ton of options.

Lyn and Hector are the two most prominent and obvious choices. Lyn has that long sword and Hector has the BAMF axe. Both are pretty simple character concepts.

Then there's Michaiah, who is fairly complex, given she'd be projectile-based. I don't think that's a direction many players want in a new character though. Mage characters tend to be tricky; the PMDT still doesn't seem to have Zelda's design totally shaped in a way that feels "complete." Frankly no official Smash development team even remotely has Zelda's design down.

There's Ericka and Ephraim, but they're eh. There's also Caeda and the FE2 Lords, but they're not worth really discussing.

Seliph and Sigurd could work, but I'm not sure there's a lot of interest there, even though FE4 is basically where the franchise as we know it began.

As for Leaf (who was originally gonna be playable in Melee before Sakurai picked Roy as Marth's clone) and Eliwood, they could be another Marth clone. The only thing off the bat in that regards I can think of (that doesn't copy what Lucina does) is a character with the tipper at the bottom of the blade (plus some new attacks).

Really though, it's a pretty limited field, especially since I don't see people wanting another mage character.
Ik this is off topic of what char you talking about but if Ninten would be in Pm then I hope he is defensive like in the game.
Ninten is a sticker, so he is eligible as a potential newcomer. Still, unless we get an expansive roster with a lot of clones, I wouldn't get my hopes up for him.
So with the way Ganondorf is in-game currently, do you guys think that anyone still actually wants a playable Black Shadow..?
If we were to get an expansive amount of clones it would make sense, but currently fans of Falcon and Ganondorf seem pretty happy. Very few fans of that Falcon playstyle/base don't like both Falcon and Ganondorf.
I can't wait for the upcoming Smash 4 Fighter Ballot entry winners are decided, so we can move forward with voting for new characters in PM.
Are they pausing adding new characters for that?

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but we still have no clue how Nintendo is gonna shell out Smash 4 DLC characters. I doubt we're gonna have a 6+ year gap between games again like with Melee to Brawl and Brawl to Smash 4, so there's not a big time window of opportunity in between Smash 4 DLC and potential Smash 5 newcomer reveals.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
For Fire Emblem characters, considering the limit character pool (and that the PMDT and Sakurai only use Lords [Robin isn't technically a Lord, but he/she basically is]), there's not a ton of options.

Lyn and Hector are the two most prominent and obvious choices. Lyn has that long sword and Hector has the BAMF axe. Both are pretty simple character concepts.

Then there's Michaiah, who is fairly complex, given she'd be projectile-based. I don't think that's a direction many players want in a new character though. Mage characters tend to be tricky; the PMDT still doesn't seem to have Zelda's design totally shaped in a way that feels "complete." Frankly no official Smash development team even remotely has Zelda's design down.

There's Ericka and Ephraim, but they're eh. There's also Caeda and the FE2 Lords, but they're not worth really discussing.

Seliph and Sigurd could work, but I'm not sure there's a lot of interest there, even though FE4 is basically where the franchise as we know it began.

As for Leaf (who was originally gonna be playable in Melee before Sakurai picked Roy as Marth's clone) and Eliwood, they could be another Marth clone. The only thing off the bat in that regards I can think of (that doesn't copy what Lucina does) is a character with the tipper at the bottom of the blade (plus some new attacks).

Really though, it's a pretty limited field, especially since I don't see people wanting another mage character.

Ninten is a sticker, so he is eligible as a potential newcomer. Still, unless we get an expansive roster with a lot of clones, I wouldn't get my hopes up for him.

If we were to get an expansive amount of clones it would make sense, but currently fans of Falcon and Ganondorf seem pretty happy. Very few fans of that Falcon playstyle/base don't like both Falcon and Ganondorf.

Are they pausing adding new characters for that?

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but we still have no clue how Nintendo is gonna shell out Smash 4 DLC characters. I doubt we're gonna have a 6+ year gap between games again like with Melee to Brawl and Brawl to Smash 4, so there's not a big time window of opportunity in between Smash 4 DLC and potential Smash 5 newcomer reveals.
Yeah they are, IIRC.

And depending on if they add King K. Rool, and maybe Isaac, chances are the Top 5 characters for PM next voting session are going to be very different.
I'm predicting the next top 5 will be Ridley, Ninten, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, and.. Ray. If most of the Top 5 become available for Smash 4.

I really don't want more Fire Emblem characters, we have 3 very good representatives of the series so far. Plus having another FE swordsman/spellcaster will make people think PM is doing the same thing as Smash 4. But hey, at least Sigurd and Hector are alternate costumes for Marth and Ike! (And hopefully Roy gets a Leif costume after he gets Awakening Roy recolors..)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah they are, IIRC.

And depending on if they add King K. Rool, and maybe Isaac, chances are the Top 5 characters for PM next voting session are going to be very different.
Good. Waiting for anything but "out there" ideas makes sense. Part of me hopes the PMDT will use this time to split Mario and Dr. Mario. Mario in PM is fantastic, but I really think the PMDT is totally capable of making another Marth/Roy situation (which is outstanding). I think in this instance the PMDT are capable of making one fantastic character into 2 even better ones.

Objectively speaking, I would say K. Rool isn't worth pursuing because if he isn't in Smash 4 DLC (I think he's gonna be the poll winner), then K. Rool will for sure be in Smash 5, probably as an early reveal. That's a short time span for a build of such an original character who would take a lot of work to add.

Isaac is a different story. While Isaac may be confirmed in Smash 4 as DLC, we have Felix and Matthew as "replacements" of sorts for him. Still... that's possibly walking on legal eggshells.
I'm predicting the next top 5 will be Ridley, Ninten, Waluigi, Samurai Goroh, and.. Ray. If most of the Top 5 become available for Smash 4.
Ridley seems to be the most popular unique character choice, but that would take a lot of work, even if you borrow flying properties from Charizard and his two SSE boss appearances.

Ninten, Waluigi, and Samurai Goroh make sense as clones/semi-clones. Ray... I don't think he's going to be a factor. I think if we get a character from another franchise that isn't in Brawl/PM already (aside from the previously mentioned Golden Sun), it'll be Advance Wars.
I really don't want more Fire Emblem characters, we have 3 very good representatives of the series so far. Plus having another FE swordsman/spellcaster will make people think PM is doing the same thing as Smash 4. But hey, at least Sigurd and Hector are alternate costumes for Marth and Ike! (And hopefully Roy gets a Leif costume after he gets Awakening Roy recolors..)
The thing that makes Fire Emblem unique is that it has so many isolated stories with main characters. Story-wise and character-wise there is no overlap outside of connected games. The connected games being 1/3 (2 is a super distant spin-off, and 11/12 are remakes of 1/3), 4/5, 6/7, and 9/10. 8, 13, and 14 are largely unconnected games. That's 7 (sort of 8) unconnected storylines and casts of characters. In most of those storylines you have multiple Lord/central protagonists.

Compare that to Star Fox where you're always Team Star Fox. You don't suddenly play as a unconnected group of mercenaries as the protagonists at a different point in time (and a different location). The same is true with the various Mario/DK connected series, Metroid, F-Zero, and so on.

In addition to that, the moves these characters use are very different. Just take a look at Marth, Ike, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim/Erika and Michaiah, and you see very different kinds of character designs

Eve though PM's legal situation doesn't allow the PMDT access to FE13/14 characters, those characters and more are quite numerous. On top of that, Marth is arguably the best designed character not just in Melee, but Brawl and PM as well. Roy in PM falls into a similar category. I've seen several polls where Marth and Roy both rank as the most liked PM characters. In addition to that, main characters Micaiah, Lyn, and Hector could easily be brand new kinds of characters, while Eliwood and Leaf especially could easily be some sort of clones of Marth, and the Black Knight a clone/semi-clone of Ike.

So, based on all that, expanding the Fire Emblem cast makes sense in Project M.

Last edited:

Blu3_Gaming

Smash Rookie
I like what you guys are saying, but what im most interested in seeing is if the PM team can port the game to the 3ds...

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Good. Waiting for anything but "out there" ideas makes sense. Part of me hopes the PMDT will use this time to split Mario and Dr. Mario. Mario in PM is fantastic, but I really think the PMDT is totally capable of making another Marth/Roy situation (which is outstanding). I think in this instance the PMDT are capable of making one fantastic character into 2 even better ones.

Objectively speaking, I would say K. Rool isn't worth pursuing because if he isn't in Smash 4 DLC (I think he's gonna be the poll winner), then K. Rool will for sure be in Smash 5, probably as an early reveal. That's a short time span for a build of such an original character who would take a lot of work to add.

Isaac is a different story. While Isaac may be confirmed in Smash 4 as DLC, we have Felix and Matthew as "replacements" of sorts for him. Still... that's possibly walking on legal eggshells.

Ridley seems to be the most popular unique character choice, but that would take a lot of work, even if you borrow flying properties from Charizard and his two SSE boss appearances.

Ninten, Waluigi, and Samurai Goroh make sense as clones/semi-clones. Ray... I don't think he's going to be a factor. I think if we get a character from another franchise that isn't in Brawl/PM already (aside from the previously mentioned Golden Sun), it'll be Advance Wars.

The thing that makes Fire Emblem unique is that it has so many isolated stories with main characters. Story-wise and character-wise there is no overlap outside of connected games. The connected games being 1/3 (2 is a super distant spin-off, and 11/12 are remakes of 1/3), 4/5, 6/7, and 9/10. 8, 13, and 14 are largely unconnected games. That's 7 (sort of 8) unconnected storylines and casts of characters. In most of those storylines you have multiple Lord/central protagonists.

Compare that to Star Fox where you're always Team Star Fox. You don't suddenly play as a unconnected group of mercenaries as the protagonists at a different point in time (and a different location). The same is true with the various Mario/DK connected series, Metroid, F-Zero, and so on.

In addition to that, the moves these characters use are very different. Just take a look at Marth, Ike, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim/Erika and Michaiah, and you see very different kinds of character designs

Eve though PM's legal situation doesn't allow the PMDT access to FE13/14 characters, those characters and more are quite numerous. On top of that, Marth is arguably the best designed character not just in Melee, but Brawl and PM as well. Roy in PM falls into a similar category. I've seen several polls where Marth and Roy both rank as the most liked PM characters. In addition to that, main characters Micaiah, Lyn, and Hector could easily be brand new kinds of characters, while Eliwood and Leaf especially could easily be some sort of clones of Marth, and the Black Knight a clone/semi-clone of Ike.

So, based on all that, expanding the Fire Emblem cast makes sense in Project M.
No. They should NOT split Mario and Dr. Mario. Doc's placement on both the Melee and Smash 4 tier lists show how utterly ****-tier he is compared to his regular version. He's perfect as an alternate costume.

Maybe he will be in Smash 5, but that's gonna be released 6-Who-Knows-How-Many years from now.

Yeah, that's sort of why I hope Isaac doesn't get picked in Smash 4, so we can have him in PM :)

Well, BaganSmashBros has already finished a perfectly-made playable Ridley mod so far.. There's always the chance they'll add that with a more classic skin to the game.

Yeah, I was stuck on whether the people would want Ray, Andy/Saki, or Takamaru more, but I realized Japan has a lot of love for Custom Robo, or so I hear.. So Ray would likely beat out both. Plus he seems to have a pretty solid moveset.

That may be solid reasoning, but its not how the typical choosing of characters goes for Smash. There's no need for more than 3 protagonists for a game series.. Disregard Pokemon..

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Frankly, I would like the Doc and the Plumber to be split... More costume potential, return of F.L.U.D.D, however, Doc's design would probably be altered differently, as it's made to be a costume, not a character.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No. They should NOT split Mario and Dr. Mario. Doc's placement on both the Melee and Smash 4 tier lists show how utterly ****-tier he is compared to his regular version. He's perfect as an alternate costume.
Doc is a few spots higher than Mario in Melee. In Smash 4 Doc's attack properties aren't as properly balanced as Mario's.

What I'm getting at is having a very high power/slower Dr. Mario with a few move variations and Mario separately could benefit both characters. Dr. Mario could be "purer" to Melee with some added strengths, whereas Mario could bring some elements of his 64 playstyle back, including possibly more movement speed.
Maybe he will be in Smash 5, but that's gonna be released 6-Who-Knows-How-Many years from now.
Smash 5 will be out before 2020. Bet on it... unless Smash Wii U and 3DS assets are all ported to the NX, and it continues to get DLC for years. Then drop said bet, lol. Either way, the NX will need a Smash game on it to help sell some consoles at some point.
Yeah, that's sort of why I hope Isaac doesn't get picked in Smash 4, so we can have him in PM :)
I'm kind of with you there, but if all we have to do is "replace him" with Felix or Matthew if he gets in PM, then that's not a big deal.
Well, BaganSmashBros has already finished a perfectly-made playable Ridley mod so far.. There's always the chance they'll add that with a more classic skin to the game.
I wouldn't say perfect, but it's definitely an impressive and well done PSA. Hopefully we can continue to see more Brawl PSA's of that quality, or even better, because that was very well made.
Yeah, I was stuck on whether the people would want Ray, Andy/Saki, or Takamaru more, but I realized Japan has a lot of love for Custom Robo, or so I hear.. So Ray would likely beat out both. Plus he seems to have a pretty solid moveset.
Takamaru and Saki are definitely the safest pick in regards to legal issues (they're AT's in Smash 4), but in regards to popularity... it's probably Takamaru actually. However, I think the one that if made would get the biggest pop/love would be Andy/any Advance Wars character because of how inherently different and new such an idea would be.

I do admit I know next to nothing about Custom Robo, although I imagine if we got Ray it would attract a lot of Gundam/robot character fans.
That may be solid reasoning, but its not how the typical choosing of characters goes for Smash. There's no need for more than 3 protagonists for a game series.. Disregard Pokemon..
Overall character selection is quite a lot about gameplay and uniqueness and attracting new audiences. I think limiting such barometers doesn't realize the appeal of said characters. You obviously need new characters to attract new audiences, but you also need new characters to keep them there. That's what newcomers that may not have a "new" fanbase like Robin and Greninja successfully did for Smash 4, Lucas and King Dedede in Brawl, or even Marth and Ice Climbers in Melee. I think the PMDT would be wise to consider such examples.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Doc is a few spots higher than Mario in Melee. In Smash 4 Doc's attack properties aren't as properly balanced as Mario's.

What I'm getting at is having a very high power/slower Dr. Mario with a few move variations and Mario separately could benefit both characters. Dr. Mario could be "purer" to Melee with some added strengths, whereas Mario could bring some elements of his 64 playstyle back, including possibly more movement speed.

Smash 5 will be out before 2020. Bet on it... unless Smash Wii U and 3DS assets are all ported to the NX, and it continues to get DLC for years. Then drop said bet, lol. Either way, the NX will need a Smash game on it to help sell some consoles at some point.

I'm kind of with you there, but if all we have to do is "replace him" with Felix or Matthew if he gets in PM, then that's not a big deal.

I wouldn't say perfect, but it's definitely an impressive and well done PSA. Hopefully we can continue to see more Brawl PSA's of that quality, or even better, because that was very well made.

Takamaru and Saki are definitely the safest pick in regards to legal issues (they're AT's in Smash 4), but in regards to popularity... it's probably Takamaru actually. However, I think the one that if made would get the biggest pop/love would be Andy/any Advance Wars character because of how inherently different and new such an idea would be.

I do admit I know next to nothing about Custom Robo, although I imagine if we got Ray it would attract a lot of Gundam/robot character fans.

Overall character selection is quite a lot about gameplay and uniqueness and attracting new audiences. I think limiting such barometers doesn't realize the appeal of said characters. You obviously need new characters to attract new audiences, but you also need new characters to keep them there. That's what newcomers that may not have a "new" fanbase like Robin and Greninja successfully did for Smash 4, Lucas and King Dedede in Brawl, or even Marth and Ice Climbers in Melee. I think the PMDT would be wise to consider such examples.
I just don't think that he'd be worth the clone character slot. He adds no variety to the roster by just being another Mario with tweaked/reworked moves.
And the current PM Mario IIRC has the best attributes of both versions of Mario - the damage output of Doc, with the recovery of Mario. Doc would only lose his recovery options and become slower if he was a clone.

Hopefully they do continue to add DLC support to Smash 4, this one seems to be the perfect balance of fun and competitive-ness that all Nintendo's fans wanted in a Smash game.

When I said "perfectly made", I meant its like, the closest thing to a fully completed PSA of Ridley. Unless there's someone out there who really isn't satisfied with Bagan's Ridley and wants another completely different Ridley, there's not really much of a reason to make an all-new Ridley. Buut the PMDT is pretty adamant with their decision of making all of their content themselves, so I'm sure they'll do it just so they say that its theirs.

Yeah, I don't really know the Advance Wars series well either, so I have a little bit of bias when I say I'm not sure how or why people would want an AW Smash representative. Although Nintendo made Villager and Wii Fit Trainer Smash fighters, so I can't see why Andy or Sami wouldn't be decent choices. I can't say for sure who I'd want more though, since Andy's more or less the face of the series, while Sami is practically begging to be a Snake clone.

Takamaru would be an awesome choice, but again, it was a conflict over which katana-wielding fighter deserves a character slot.
Samurai Goroh seems like a cooler/more fitting choice, seeing as Captain Falcon has no rival in Smash, he's the most original of Falcon's rogues gallery, and he'd likely be easier to create than Takamaru, if he was a semi-clone.

Last edited:

red hot roy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5473-0450-7276
I think that it would be cool if they had some new skins for characters that are completely new designs of other characters, for example a Lucina skin for marth, kind of like how pit has a dark pit skin, and snake has a big boss skin. If ridley wasn't put in as a character, I think that he could be a skin for charizard, but that would require his moves to be completely reskinned to fit the designs look.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
The PMDT won't do skins that change the character, the Dark Pit and Big Boss skins are probably kinda cosplays I guess and Ridley being a skin over Zard would piss off a lot of people lol, plus their body shapes are drastically different tbh.
As for Samurai Goro, I don't really feel him. At this point I'd rather have characters that bring something completely new to Smash and F-Zero really doesn't need any other reps besides Falcon since it's not one of Nintendo's big series.
Samurai Goroh seems like a cooler/more fitting choice, seeing as Captain Falcon has no rival in Smash, .
No one has rivals in Smash lol, rivalries are for fighting games with a story or the Capcom vs games X)

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
The PMDT won't do skins that change the character, the Dark Pit and Big Boss skins are probably kinda cosplays I guess and Ridley being a skin over Zard would piss off a lot of people lol, plus their body shapes are drastically different tbh.
As for Samurai Goro, I don't really feel him. At this point I'd rather have characters that bring something completely new to Smash and F-Zero really doesn't need any other reps besides Falcon since it's not one of Nintendo's big series.

No one has rivals in Smash lol, rivalries are for fighting games with a story or the Capcom vs games X)
Mario's rival = Bowser
Link's rival = Ganon
Kirby's rival = Dedede
Fox's rival = Wolf

Yeah they do. Samus would have Ridley, but we don't know if he's going to be added. Some people also tend to think of Mewtwo as Pikachu's rival, too.

AceGamer

Smash Journeyman
Mario's rival = Bowser
Link's rival = Ganon
Kirby's rival = Dedede
Fox's rival = Wolf

Yeah they do. Samus would have Ridley, but we don't know if he's going to be added. Some people also tend to think of Mewtwo as Pikachu's rival, too.
Ohhhh, ok you and me are thinking about rival a different way and who the hell considers Mewtwo Pikachus rival?? That's just wack lol, they don't constantly fight or anything. Hell Mewtwo just chills in Cerulean cave and there's a billion different Pikachus in the world X'D

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Could anyone please source me where the PMDT have actually said that they're waiting for sm4sh DLC to arrive before they go forward with their own characters? And like I've said at the top of this page, pretty sure they're not being as stringent on the characters they use that may also get added in DLC.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Could anyone please source me where the PMDT have actually said that they're waiting for sm4sh DLC to arrive before they go forward with their own characters? And like I've said at the top of this page, pretty sure they're not being as stringent on the characters they use that may also get added in DLC.
Well there's this, but I believe it was either Nanobuds or Warchamp who said they were gonna wait until Smash 4 DLC was finished coming out, and that was in an old post either here or the PM Arts and Alts thread, and it would take way too long to find it. Might as well give them a message about it, no harm in asking.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Nanobuds tends to say whatever he wants, regardless of if it's true or not, hahaha. And besides - he's an art guy, I'm not sure that's entirely his division. Not sure about the Warchamp though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom