• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muleet

Smash Apprentice
And unlike the US congress, they do have the legitimacy to decide by themselves. They make Project M and know what is doable.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yes there is. Me! Wait we can't be the only two people who like him right. He can't be like Shadow where nobody wants him...
Thank you man. God, I hope were not the only 2. Any way, for those who are all like "but he will just be another Link clone" as true as that might be, I think I might have come up with a moveset to make him unique while still a sort of clone (only because coming up with new B moves is hard with his limit equipment)
I know what you mean. Krystal deserves to make the 4th Star Fox rep!
Or Slippy :troll:.
"There's too many characters who use swords."

"Fire Emblem is over-repped."

"Hey guys let's add another Pokemon."

"All sword characters play the same. So let's vote for Isaac."

"GIVE GANON A SWORD."

Oftentimes within the same post.
Oh man. I really sorry for you :(. Sincerely. I must be hard to put up with this man

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
... I don't think I will ever stop being angry over this thread consistently down-voting Lyn at one point just because she had a sword while consistently up-voting Isaac as well as stuff like Young Link, Shadowdorf and Pichu.

No, pretty much never.
The ONLY thing keeping me from being full-on "Add Lyn" is that I am full on "Add Hector". It won't happen, though... :sadeyes:

But otherwise... yeah. Sword sword sword sword... lets forget that she is absurdly different in fighting from the other sword users. Iaijutsu is always an awesome addition to fighting styles, and Lyn, badass that she is, is certainly no exception. I mean, I "get" how it could seem FE is only about swords, but really, it kind of misses the point to adding Lyn. I'd be much more worried if I saw Eliwood topping any charts.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
"There's too many characters who use swords."

"All sword characters play the same. So let's vote for Isaac."

"GIVE GANON A SWORD."

Oftentimes within the same post.
There's a difference between thinking that there are too many sword characters and thinking a series is over-repped. Already explained Isaac. Not everyone wanted Ganon to just get a sword, even if it was what the majority suggested. Some wanted a magic based moveset.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
+Everything: Ashley (WarioWare)
Because it's Ashley.

Okay, fine.. +1 to Knuckles and Lynn as well.
Because More Swords.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Thank you man. God, I hope were not the only 2. Any way, for those who are all like "but he will just be another Link clone" as true as that might be, I think I might have come up with a moveset to make him unique while still a sort of clone (only because coming up with new B moves is hard with his limit equipment)

Or Slippy :troll:.

Oh man. I really sorry for you :(. Sincerely. I must be hard to put up with this man
I think it's inevitable that they're going to put in Pichu and Young Link first. Because of one: They're trying to make it more like Melee and they already have Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. And number two: It would make sense to add them because they're more important than the other characters in the poll. I mean, did they have a poll for Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario? No.

And about Slippy... No you're kidding me.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast

you have NO IDEA how much this burns me up.

anyway, in relation to the fact that a low tier character has a possibility of making it in the game, let's take a step back for a second - objectively, if the PMDT is looking for characters that can work as clones, then it'd be nice if their base characters were characters that don't already have clones. and, logically speaking, Sonic is one of these, and it's a pretty big no brainer as to the fact that any of his supporting cast fill this position - they are all built pretty much in the same way in their own games anyway. i think the idea got too much hate here honestly, as i know plenty of people who would love to see Tails or Knuckles in this.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Looking for someone who can be cloned and has no clone... Hector, you have a chance after all!

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Looking for someone who can be cloned and has no clone... Hector, you have a chance after all!
Don't get your hopes up. Hector is very unlikely. Especially with Ike sporting his armor and Lyn being the more popular choice.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I'd take a semi clone over a complete clone any day of the week since unique characters aren't high priority (meaning I'd really take Dixie Kong as a semi clone than to have K. Rool at this point, too bad Dixie Kong isn't most likely going to happen at this point the way I see it).

On the topic of sword users, why are there even complaints about characters using swords? All the characters who use swords function differently from each other and have completely different play-styles. Complaining about there being too many sword wielding fighters is strange to me when there are significantly more hand to hand fighters (I personally don't mind how any character battles or what they battle with as long as the character has a unique move-set I can deal with it). A small amount of characters use swords to begin with anyways, more sword wielding characters (or characters using any type of weapon for that matter) wouldn't hurt at all but that's just my opinion.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think it's inevitable that they're going to put in Pichu and Young Link first. Because of one: They're trying to make it more like Melee and they already have Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario. And number two: It would make sense to add them because they're more important than the other characters in the poll. I mean, did they have a poll for Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario? No.

GOD, I hope this is true.

Also, maybe I'm not kidding :seuss:.

Yeah, yeah I am kidding

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Skimmed through the recent talk about the Fighting Alloys and had an idea regarding them. What if they weren't unique characters at all? But instead were essentially skins for existing characters and only were used when a player selected random? There could be a fighting alloy for every character without them needing to create entirely new moves and animations for everyone.

I'm uncertain as to how difficult it would be to implement, considering that some characters have apparently reached their limitations for costumes, but I felt it was an interesting enough thought to share here.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
While we are at it, Takamaru cosplay alt plz. Taka fans need something.
Now Ive lost it, I was quizzical about taking you seriously with your past profile pic but now it's really hard too! XD
But seriously your a Takamaru fan too? Me too. I know this is about PM but Im always sad whenever he (or any other assist that I wanted to become playable) in smash 4 comes out of the assist trophy because i know he had so much to offer. and I also feel that Sakurai kinda just threw him in :/

Skimmed through the recent talk about the Fighting Alloys and had an idea regarding them. What if they weren't unique characters at all? But instead were essentially skins for existing characters and only were used when a player selected random? There could be a fighting alloy for every character without them needing to create entirely new moves and animations for everyone.

I'm uncertain as to how difficult it would be to implement, considering that some characters have apparently reached their limitations for costumes, but I felt it was an interesting enough thought to share here.
Thats actually a really interesting story because because you'd never know when you're actually going to be them. and thats kind of fun. It'd be really cool to be an alloy of someone who we haven't already seen (:falcon::mario2::kirby2::zelda:).

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Now Ive lost it, I was quizzical about taking you seriously with your past profile pic but now it's really hard too! XD
But seriously your a Takamaru fan too? Me too. I know this is about PM but Im always sad whenever he (or any other assist that I wanted to become playable) in smash 4 comes out of the assist trophy because i know he had so much to offer. and I also feel that Sakurai kinda just threw him in :/

Thats actually a really interesting story because because you'd never know when you're actually going to be them. and thats kind of fun. It'd be really cool to be an alloy of someone who we haven't already seen (:falcon::mario2::kirby2::zelda:).
That does sound interesting,or even as a selectable costume.(I was never against the Alloys anyway,it just didn't sound like the sort of professional thing the devs would do.)
Although I know little about models,it may not be as hard as it sounds.Take the bones,make them visible,coloring them and giving them a shiny texture,could that do the job?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I'm not a Takamaru fan. I just know he has a large following in the Smash fandom. I remember seeing a suggestion like this before, but it just seemed fitting to bring up.

Also, Lol...

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
That does sound interesting,or even as a selectable costume.(I was never against the Alloys anyway,it just didn't sound like the sort of professional thing the devs would do.)
Although I know little about models,it may not be as hard as it sounds.Take the bones,make them visible,coloring them and giving them a shiny texture,could that do the job?
Idk...But heres what I think. first they would have to do all of what you said, then rework them so they can grab ledges, then make sure that they're voices are silent(well I guess that's pretty easy because all brawl PSA's start off with having to voices, which you add an SFX file to). Idk if I'm missing anything but people wanna see what the people want to see and unfortunately people don't care enough about the alloys because they're not "cool' enough. And i guess it would be easier and would take less time than to make whole new characters, let alone clone engine slots.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
>Takamaru alt for lyn

I just want to point out that the majority of characters seem to be getting one alt + recolors for now. If this pushes back the chances of her getting her Awakening swordmaster art alt costume there WILL be hell to pay.

Last edited:

Ganondalf

Smash Cadet
Lyn is easily the worst possible choice. Another swordsperson? Good job P:M team.. very original. Hector was an option but no.. lets just add another fast sword wielder. Whoopidy doo.

Isaac can atleast wield a mace or an axe.... r-right?

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Lyn is easily the worst possible choice. Another swordsperson? Good job P:M team.. very original. Hector was an option but no.. lets just add another fast sword wielder. Whoopidy doo.

Isaac can atleast wield a mace or an axe.... r-right?
Lyn isn't a bad option at all because she isn't a clone just like Ike and thats good. I know it would add to many sword fighters but we need her to provide a good move set that hasn't been done before because of the kind of sword she has.

Isaac will either be a sword fighter the whole time and use very little powers he has, or he can have his sword behind his back the whole time like the assist and only use the sword for some moves, it really go either way

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice

Or maybe they are not a bunch of morons and won't do that.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
according to who?

let me tear this apart with some common sense.

PMDT makes roy = "this is what we can do with a clone character"
PMDT makes mewtwo = "this is what we can do with a scratch built character" (albeit with a general idea to work off of from melee)
they are two characters that clearly deserved better than how they were made in melee, and fan favorites. it's no wonder they were the first clone engine characters.

PMDT makes Dr. mario alt = "this is an easy alt to make for mario while servicing melee fans"

Toon Link has all of Young Link's melee traits imbued in him, down to the multi-hitting bombs. why. on. earth. would. you. want. 3. links.
and an 8th pokemon. seriously. we have enough. let the pokemon series stay clone free. besides mewtwo. heh.

and finally,
"can you imagine how we can work in characters that aren't already playable in smash, given enough time?" - basically what the PMDT said in the clone engine blogpost (HEAVILY PARAPHRASED.) we have wet our appetite with two characters from melee who actually work now, and now we want new. the PMDT want new. let us have new.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Pichu is cool
I like clones
Pikachu has no clone
The current Pokemon cast is Gen1 the musical featuring Lucario.
He wouldn't be hard to pull off
Representation arguments are bull****
Pichu is cool

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
If you saw my votes a while back,you'll notice I didn't make hardly any mention of representation,only basing my votes off playstyle potential I saw and my personal like for a character.As a consumer,I don't mind too much over-or-under representation,I'm fine with representation how it stands.(Although if a character I liked wanted were part of an under-represented franchise,I'd use that as an argument to include them. :p)
However,if I were part of the PMDT,that would be something I would be forced to think about in adding a character.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Or maybe they are not a bunch of morons and won't do that.
What do you mean? I'm just being logical...
according to who?

let me tear this apart with some common sense.

PMDT makes roy = "this is what we can do with a clone character"
PMDT makes mewtwo = "this is what we can do with a scratch built character" (albeit with a general idea to work off of from melee)
they are two characters that clearly deserved better than how they were made in melee, and fan favorites. it's no wonder they were the first clone engine characters.

PMDT makes Dr. mario alt = "this is an easy alt to make for mario while servicing melee fans"

Toon Link has all of Young Link's melee traits imbued in him, down to the multi-hitting bombs. why. on. earth. would. you. want. 3. links.
and an 8th pokemon. seriously. we have enough. let the pokemon series stay clone free. besides mewtwo. heh.

and finally,
"can you imagine how we can work in characters that aren't already playable in smash, given enough time?" - basically what the PMDT said in the clone engine blogpost (HEAVILY PARAPHRASED.) we have wet our appetite with two characters from melee who actually work now, and now we want new. the PMDT want new. let us have new.
all I'm saying is that they should put ALL 5 forgotten melee characters first before putting anyone else. Don't you think that would make the most sense if they're trying to bring melee back in a way? Are both of them coming back before anyone else? Probably not because of the poll. I'm just say what I think makes the most sense to me even if I'm in the minority..

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Pichu is cool
I like clones
Pikachu has no clone
The current Pokemon cast is Gen1 the musical featuring Lucario.
He wouldn't be hard to pull off
Representation arguments are bull****
Pichu is cool
I'm totally with this guy. I mained Pichu in Melee, and I always preferred him to Pikachu. I didn't even mind the self damage, as I felt that it added a nice challenge. Hell, I think that the PM guys could introduce some interesting mechanic around the self damage. They're a pretty creative bunch.

Some people were talking about adding Ice Climber styled Pichu bros before, which I think would be a pretty good idea. This way we'd get something new while still appeasing us Pichu fans. It would also help set him apart from the other clones.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
So, for those who do not really remember all the differences between Pichu and Pikachu back in Melee, what exactly is the biggest impediment for, say, Pichu to get the Doc treatment and be a special skin for Pikachu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom