• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012

I want to believe.

Inb4Pichuflamewar
Don't get me wrong, I love Pokemon, but do we really need more of them?

...I'm not gonna be all "ugh wat a waste of a slot, pmbdrt u guize sux!1!" 'cause I'm sure whatever they do is gonna be great, but as of right now*, I wouldn't like Pichu in any way, shape or form to be part of Smash game.

*Opinion slightly likely to change depending on the outcome of execution.

#PleaseDon'tBeMean #Opinions

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Don't get me wrong, I love Pokemon, but do we really need more of them?

...I'm not gonna be all "ugh wat a waste of a slot, pmbdrt u guize sux!1!" 'cause I'm sure whatever they do is gonna be great, but as of right now*, I wouldn't like Pichu in any way, shape or form to be part of Smash game.

*Opinion slightly likely to change depending on the outcome of execution.

#PleaseDon'tBeMean #Opinions
Why does it matter, as long as the Pichu bros are fun to play?

Real talk, idc who gets in as long as they're fun. Besides Ridley & K. Rool

For some reason I just dont want Ridley...And I personally think K. Rool is stupid as hell :I

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
If you check the alt costume thread, they specifically address that there's "no Knuckles" because he already has a Knuckles color. These new colors are in addition to the ones he already has, with Shadow replacing his current black one.
Well then why doesn't knuckles, a way more iconic sonic character than both shadow and silver, replace the red one? Explain THAT. PROTIP: You can't.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Well then why doesn't knuckles, a way more iconic sonic character than both shadow and silver, replace the red one? Explain THAT. PROTIP: You can't.
His point was that the PMBR doesnt want to alter the already present team colors.

Which I know sounds fishy, but yeah whatevs.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Don't "PROTIP: You can't" me, bro. There's a very easy explanation. Like they've always said, these are alternate COSTUMES. The Silver costume is not Silver (it does not have his hair). The Shadow costume is not Shadow (it does not have his red bands). And unless you're blind, the Tails one is definitely not Tails. The red color (Knuckles) is the exact same situation.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Don't "PROTIP: You can't" me, bro. There's a very easy explanation. Like they've always said, these are alternate COSTUMES. The Silver costume is not Silver (it does not have his hair). The Shadow costume is not Shadow (it does not have his red bands). And unless you're blind, the Tails one is definitely not Tails. The red color (Knuckles) is the exact same situation.
Sonic's red costume not referencing Knuckles with the shoes & gloves is what is leading us to believe that he may have been made for the clone engine. Idk where that other guy was going with that.

Though if Knuckles really has been made for clone engine that would lead me to believe that all of the characters going to be made for it have been selected. The leaked version that had Knux in it was at least a year to two years old as of now*

Edit*: Corrected my self for better clarity

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
I personally can't believe knuckles would really get in considering the sheer unpopularity of the votes for sonic characters in general. I just also can't believe there could be both a shadow and silver skin but no knuckles one. It all confounds me.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
This thread sucks. I'm mad that you brought me here, @ GeZ GeZ
Welcome to the dark side of the PM boards. Where we eat cookies and most one time posters probably don't even know how to L Cancel.

Real talk though, if we had more known faces actually post about what characters they'd be interested in or what archtypes could be better represented, it wouldn't be nearly as... unappealing in here. We could also hold back on discussing extremely niche character options, but I think most of us are just trying to keep ourselves hyped up for the next clone engine character to be announced.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Welcome to the dark side of the PM boards. Where we eat cookies and most one time posters probably don't even know how to L Cancel.

Real talk though, if we had more known faces actually post about what characters they'd be interested in or what archtypes could be better represented, it wouldn't be nearly as... unappealing in here. We could also hold back on discussing extremely niche character options, but I think most of us are just trying to keep ourselves hyped up for the next clone engine character to be announced.
It's not about top players opinions necessarily, the problem more lies in that a lot of players in here don't frequent the rest of the forums, so it's hard to pop in here and take completely seriously people with 1500 posts that are mostly from this thread.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I fade in and out of the thread and suddenly there's a Ridley sized debate for Blackondorf.

FWIW though:

-1 Black Shadow/Ganondorf. Any changes to Ganondorf's base move set had to have been done when Project M was in the process of retooling characters before the 3.0 demo release set the baseline for how the entirety of the current cast would play. Doing this now would be jarring because people have already made certain connections to Ganondorf either through his currently established play style or the character himself.

I'm totally down for Ganondorf getting a more canon or interesting set of specials and have discussed this in a few places like NeoGAF and Twitter before (Warlock Punch becoming his side smash; Up B Teleport to move himself or others through a la Twilight Princess; Down B Earthquake a la Ocarina of Time Ganondorf's meteor smash move, standing B becomes Dead Man's Volley, gets stronger and faster as it's swatted back and forth; keep all his other normals the same with him getting back Melee jabs) but at this point it's better to leave what's established alone so as to stray away from alienating a player base.

Nonetheless I don't wanna discuss Black Shadow anymore right now. Anyone think of a good, feasible way to add Takamaru yet? He's cool.
Because my sole purpose in this thread ever since #MurasameMonday wasn't presenting the best and most feasible cases for Takamaru possible. :p

While it would always be nice to hear what other people think, especially devoted Project M stars, it'd also be nice if posts like this didn't paint with such wide brushes. Project M has been my go-to game for a while now and I feel pretty solid about how good I am in it, but this shouldn't be the only barometer for "respectable input" on new entrants.

GeZ

Smash Lord
While it would always be nice to hear what other people think, especially devoted Project M stars, it'd also be nice if posts like this didn't paint with such wide brushes. Project M has been my go-to game for a while now and I feel pretty solid about how good I am in it, but this shouldn't be the only barometer for "respectable input" on new entrants.
But see the thing is that you can judge peoples ideas/ opinions based off of 2 things. First is their results in the game, which is the latter choice, and second being how well they articulate and reason their ideas, which is the more favorable choice. The thing is, if a well reasoned/ well thought out point isn't presented, then all people have to go off of is the players ability in the game.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
In that case, I sincerely hope the effort I put into my talking points and support for characters doesn't sound like farfetched nonsense to the powers in charge that might step into the thread from time to time.

Then again, Saito and I are Vigilante approved. :p

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
It's not about top players opinions necessarily, the problem more lies in that a lot of players in here don't frequent the rest of the forums, so it's hard to pop in here and take completely seriously people with 1500 posts that are mostly from this thread.
While I agree completely, that doesn't mean people on this thread don't look at other parts of the forum. Sometimes it is difficult for mid-low tier players to feel like they can add something useful to the discussion that hasn't already been said, while here they can speculate on the mechanics and play-style of possible new clone engine candidates. They contribute something here, whether or not that is ultimately useful is another topic, but at least they are indeed talking.

But see the thing is that you can judge peoples ideas/ opinions based off of 2 things. First is their results in the game, which is the latter choice, and second being how well they articulate and reason their ideas, which is the more favorable choice. The thing is, if a well reasoned/ well thought out point isn't presented, then all people have to go off of is the players ability in the game.
Again, good point. Although a fair portion of the regulars here are either competent players and/or well-spoken, there are quite a number of... fanboyish? posters as well. You just have to take it with a grain of salt I suppose, and try to exemplify the comments that are more constructive and thought out.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I definitely get you man. I just give these threads a hard time for the fanboy population.

I would really like D'jango Solar Boy in the game too. GG sig.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
I definitely get you man. I just give these threads a hard time for the fanboy population.

I would really like D'jango Solar Boy in the game too. GG sig.
Heh, until Nintendo makes a Gamecube controller that is powered by the sun, I don't think it's gonna happen.

Last edited:

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Why does it matter, as long as the Pichu bros are fun to play?

Real talk, idc who gets in as long as they're fun. Besides Ridley & K. Rool

For some reason I just dont want Ridley...And I personally think K. Rool is stupid as hell :I
I also don't want either of them in Smash, it makes me uneasy to think about them being in, I just don't voice my opinion 'cause I don't want people to tell me mean things D:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I just give these threads a hard time for the fanboy population
Wow. There aren't any fanboys here, you dingus. Can't believe you'd say that.
MOTHER FOR LIFE. MOTHER IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING. MOTHER>LIFE ITSELF.
F-ZERO IS JUST A BAD VERSION OF EARTHBOUND.

Last edited:

Malion

Smash Ace
Guys, Sonic's Shadow costume is missing the red... that effectively makes it a Black Shadow...

blackshadowconfirmed

Shin F.

Smash Master
We're going to have an infarction though. Just look at Psykid, poor thing.
Psykid suffocated?! :O
In medicine, infarction is tissue death (necrosis) caused by a local lack of oxygen, due to an obstruction of the tissue's blood supply.[1] The resulting lesion is referred to as an infarct[2][3] (from the Latin infarctus, "stuffed into").[4]

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Psykid suffocated?! :O
In medicine, infarction is tissue death (necrosis) caused by a local lack of oxygen, due to an obstruction of the tissue's blood supply.[1] The resulting lesion is referred to as an infarct[2][3] (from the Latin infarctus, "stuffed into").[4]
Not suffocating. Infarction usually refers to the heart (heart attack) or brain (stroke)

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Not suffocating. Infarction usually refers to the heart (heart attack) or brain (stroke)
To add, a heart attack is also better known clinically as a myocardial infarction. Good to see I'm not rusty from summer break

Last edited:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
I mean, I got to play Knuckles (1 off 3 characters, no spoilers for others) and he was 95% Finished, a little under a year ago as a 3.0 like.. Beta i guess?

Anywho, Knuckles seemed legit as possible. I really can't say a thing about their decisions because he was imo perfect for what a Slower, Harder hitting Sonic with more recovery options could be. He felt like he belonged. I'm on No Sonic Char bandwagon, but those few rounds with the red Echidna so long ago are what have made me so impatient for the release of 3.5
I thought Knuckles would've been recalled for the Leaks that happened, but this Sonic Alt scenario gave me all my hope of him being 100% fully playable again.

TL,DR; Knuckles and the other 4 characters spoiled/leaked are more than Welcome additions to Project M, and I'm sooo ready for 3.5 already!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I mean, I got to play Knuckles (1 off 3 characters, no spoilers for others) and he was 95% Finished, a little under a year ago as a 3.0 like.. Beta i guess?

Anywho, Knuckles seemed legit as possible. I really can't say a thing about their decisions because he was imo perfect for what a Slower, Harder hitting Sonic with more recovery options could be. He felt like he belonged. I'm on No Sonic Char bandwagon, but those few rounds with the red Echidna so long ago are what have made me so impatient for the release of 3.5
I thought Knuckles would've been recalled for the Leaks that happened, but this Sonic Alt scenario gave me all my hope of him being 100% fully playable again.

TL,DR; Knuckles and the other 4 characters spoiled/leaked are more than Welcome additions to Project M, and I'm sooo ready for 3.5 already!
>supposedly played 3.0 beta with Knuckles, something that would've been exclusive to PMBR
>joined the community less than a month ago

Looks like Princess Ruto isn't the only thing around here that's fishy.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Some PMBR do show off stuff to close friends who they know can keep a secret.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I forgot to mention that time I played as

A little under a year ago, they said that they hadn't even started working on any other characters.

Hmmm... someone must be lying

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Right, but then, if they were close friends who could be trusted keep a secret, they wouldn't go around blabbing about what they got to see.
PMBR are human - they're just as prone to bad decisions as you and I are.
Bad decisions like including Knuckles.

Last edited:

cmvnb3

Smash Apprentice
Well what about the 5-slot limit? If Knuckles is near-ready and they actually fixed the character limit to exceed five then there's no reason to throw away a lot of work. So the question is, did they fix the limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom