• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Guess that ignoring means no, when are you going to update the vote results?
Sorry about not getting back to you. I assure you no one meant to ignore you. It actually slipped my mind to reply, but I believe we are currently waiting on Anti Guy to post the results update along with the OP changes. He has been pretty busy as of late, as have the rest of us keeping track of the votes and modifying the OP. It shouldn't be too much longer.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Anti Guy still regularly shows up and pays attention/discusses things so it's not as if he's hard to contact when things need to be fixed up or the ones doing the votes come with updates.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
He's said he can handle it even though he's busy, and I trust him to be able to.
I can also vouch for this statement. Anti Guy is completely capable, and has expressed so to those of us helping him keep up with this thread.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I'm just waiting for the last batch of votes to be tallied up, since there's no point in posting when there's been a recent surge.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
If you are going to change the voting system or revamp the OP, I suggest you to wait until we know the full roster of SSB4, so we will know who eligible and who is not.
I mean, lots of people didn't vote for Takamaru or the Sablé Prince because they expected them to appear in SSB4, and I suppose many voted for Robin and Lucina because they didn't expect them to appear in SSB4. Who knows who else is gonna get disconfirmed/confirmed until the release date.

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman
If you are going to change the voting system or revamp the OP, I suggest you to wait until we know the full roster of SSB4, so we will know who eligible and who is not.
I mean, lots of people didn't vote for Takamaru or the Sablé Prince because they expected them to appear in SSB4, and I suppose many voted for Robin and Lucina because they didn't expect them to appear in SSB4. Who knows who else is gonna get disconfirmed/confirmed until the release date.
While I understand your point, Robin and Lucina were never eligible to vote for - and by now the only prominent characters brought up in this thread that have any "real" chance of possibly being in Smash 4 are Isaac and Ridley. Really, we should be waiting until the next P:M character is announced as that will (hopefully) nullify some votes used on the revealed character.

Also, hype on that scale will attract plenty of new voters, which would make it the perfect time to implement the new system (or I suppose right before the date of the announcement if the PMBR lets us know when that is ahead of time).

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If I have not already voted then I would like to add +1 to Lip, since her moveset would be very interesting.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Moving away from my Takamaru campaigning for a second, I saw this today and realized I haven't talked about my other big character, Lip:

I always thought Lip would be a representative of all of Nintendo's puzzle games, since most of them lack a mascot that can actually be represented in Smash.

The second pic shows what the side special in the first pic does, and was not invented by me, but rather a trip user named Gifgrill at 4chan's Super Smash Brothers General. I made the first pic with some slight help from anonymous users at the Super Smash Brother general, as I did not know about one or two of the games represented on my own.
While I don't know how much of this would be doable given that the closest clone character both in stature and what they provide would be Toon Link (would provide a wand that could be repurposed as Lip's wand/stick; boomerang re-purposed as the cursor special; his sword normals could be replaced by wand trickery, etc.), what do you all think? I've always felt that Nintendo's been missing out on some cool puzzle game and fighting design/niches by not playing up one of their puzzle game characters in a Smash environment.

Another alternate take I liked (mostly focusing on her potential specials) was done in the Lip thread quite a while ago (with animations!):
Beep beep I animate Beep Beep!!

^B - Cotton Flight
>B - Throw Bomb (from Warios Woods)
vB - Garbage Block falls in front
B - Throw Blocks
I will animate that out~

No Target

Item thrown at you and caught, you can move it behind you, or if there's an opponent in front of you, you can move it behind your opponent.

You can even move what your down B spawns.
You can only move up and down if you're over a ledge and there's something to replace with, if it's just you and the opponent, you can only do what is shown in the second gif, if there's a fallthrough platform above you not too far (like battlefield) you can move your opponent up and replace him with the block.

Hope this makes sense.
Whys that?

You could always use it when recovering onto the stage and someone is at the edge waiting.

In the air they drop under you, I think only having 4 out would be the limit, they disappear after a while.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Has anyone considered how they are going to get voices for some of these characters? A lot of older NES characters never have had voice acting (ie Ninten.)
I wonder, if they add any of the NES characters will they just have sfx from the old games or get voice actors to try and make a voice for them?

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered how they are going to get voices for some of these characters? A lot of older NES characters never have had voice acting (ie Ninten.)
I wonder, if they add any of the NES characters will they just have sfx from the old games or get voice actors to try and make a voice for them?
For Ninten, they could use Ness' 64 voice, maybe, I guess.

But yeah, that's a good point. They might just use the SFX from their games if they can't find proper voice actors.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Has anyone considered how they are going to get voices for some of these characters? A lot of older NES characters never have had voice acting (ie Ninten), so I wonder if they will just have sfx from the old games or get voice actors to try and make a voice for them.
There are a few solutions for voiceless characters. They could recycle voices from other games (for Ninten, I suggested a while back they could use Ness' 64 voice, for instance). Or they could get voice actors - I'm willing to be there would be people who would volunteer to do so. Shoot, I'd do it if I had a suitable voice, lol.

Could be interesting if they re-used voices from other fighting games, too, although I'm not sure how willing they would be to do that.

I think someone also suggested they could use 8bit sounds from the games if they really wanted to.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I think I posed this question in regards to Takamaru himself, and people said something about using clips from his Samurai Warriors 3 incarnation. Honestly, I think it'd still be worthwhile to look into something different since the PMBR/PMDT should stray away from content made that wasn't referenced in Brawl.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
+1 Takamaru!
Not only has he recently had his game released on VC internationally, but also has great moveset potiential.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
There are a few solutions for voiceless characters. They could recycle voices from other games (for Ninten, I suggested a while back they could use Ness' 64 voice, for instance). Or they could get voice actors - I'm willing to be there would be people who would volunteer to do so. Shoot, I'd do it if I had a suitable voice, lol.

Could be interesting if they re-used voices from other fighting games, too, although I'm not sure how willing they would be to do that.

I think someone also suggested they could use 8bit sounds from the games if they really wanted to.
I believe you also mentioned that they could splice and mix already premade voices earlier. Like with Roy(possibly?)? I'm not entirely sure they did that, but I do think Roy has voice clips that weren't present in Melee

Shin F.

Smash Master
I believe you also mentioned that they could splice and mix already premade voices earlier. Like with Roy(possibly?)? I'm not entirely sure they did that, but I do think Roy has voice clips that weren't present in Melee
That was in relation to the announcer's voice calling out the character names rather than the characters' voices.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
That was in relation to the announcer's voice calling out the character names rather than the characters' voices.
Interesting.

I still feel like it would be possible then. Even if it's just grunts if getting coherent words out of it is impossible

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What's wrong with Blackondorf? I guarantee you at least two of the remaining clone engine characters are going to be clones already. Why not make a clone that can open up possibilities for another character?
People hate change. Honestly it's the only way I could see Black Shadow, and I'd like to see Black Shadow.

As long as they keep Ganon's sparta kick and flame choke, I see no problems.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
What's wrong with Blackondorf? I guarantee you at least two of the remaining clone engine characters are going to be clones already. Why not make a clone that can open up possibilities for another character?
okay, first off, they will ALL be clones. hence the name.

some of us like Ganondorf AND his existing moveset on him. It's overbearing and POWERful and does the job of making it feel satisfying to play as him. It's always argued that "it's not what he does in zelda games" yet i feel i have to point out the same is true for Zelda and her moveset - besides, say, transforming into Shiek and the light arrow from her final smash.

TL;DR
I like punching faces in with ganondorf because it's a satisfying smack that's worthy of the triforce of power.

dafuq happened to the color there.

Last edited:

metaknight120

Smash Journeyman
People hate change. Honestly it's the only way I could see Black Shadow, and I'd like to see Black Shadow.

As long as they keep Ganon's sparta kick and flame choke, I see no problems.
I am literally asking for them to take current dorf, clone him as black shadow with no changes, and change the original.
okay, first off, they will ALL be clones. hence the name.

some of us like Ganondorf AND his existing moveset on him. It's overbearing and POWERful and does the job of making it feel satisfying to play as him. It's always argued that "it's not what he does in zelda games" yet i feel i have to point out the same is true for Zelda and her moveset - besides, say, transforming into Shiek and the light arrow from her final smash.

TL;DR
I like punching faces in with ganondorf because it's a satisfying smack that's worthy of the triforce of power.

dafuq happened to the color there.
I said at least two because mewtwo shows that not all of them are clones.
And I'm not asking for them to remove the current 'set that they have for Ganondorf, you can still get that satisfaction, just from a different character. And in my opinion, such a moveset fits Black Shadow much more. I mean, look at the guy, he's got more muscle than a 4 player falcon free-for-all ditto in turbo mode.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Clone (The Engine Term) = A character who is created from an existing character.

Clone (The Game Term) = A character who plays like another character.

Don't confuse the two, people.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This may be a bit off-topic, but I personally don't really care what new character we get. I just get so hyped up when I see a new character's renders, haha.

im more interested in new chars sfx than anything else

Exodo

Smash Ace
This may be a bit off-topic, but I personally don't really care what new character we get. I just get so hyped up when I see a new character's renders, haha.

im more interested in new chars sfx than anything else
i agree with reserved, im pretty sure that in the end any new character they announce will create a massive wave of hype!!

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
*sees people starting something over a random guy voting Blackendorf*

Uh-oh:

They got out again. Someone help me put them back in.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Just thought I could say this. If Takamaru and Sable are the great new additions, then Sable could easily be partially clones off Toon Link, both are similar sized, have swords for main attacks.

Also: +1 Bowser Jr.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom