• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Anti-Guy: I feel that Daisy > Dark Samus.
Daisy: Princess who needed rescuing in a single, forgotten Mario game (Super Mario Land). Has since only appeared as filler character for Mario sports games, and otherwise has no importance in the franchise. No appearance in any major Mario games except SML.

Dark Samus: Primary antagonist of the Metroid Prime series (3 games) and one of the most recognizable characters of the franchise.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Know what? I'm just going to stop telling them. If they can't read the rules, it's their own damn fault for not getting their votes counted.
Good, stop acting like their mom.

+1 Pichu
He's a veteran and has the potential to be really cool.
+1 Krystal
Female variation and someone that's...different than the other animals.
+1 Ridley
For god sake give Metroid some more representation.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Good, stop acting like their mom.

+1 Pichu
He's a veteran and has the potential to be really cool.
+1 Krystal
Female variation and someone that's...different than the other animals.
+1 Ridley
For god sake give Metroid some more representation.
He is one of the people counting your votes. It would be wise to not act poorly towards him.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Clone Engine Thread Family: Nobody 100% agrees with anybody, and we argue amongst ourselves a literal ****ton, but we have each other's backs in the end
<3

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It's fine, Sol. Not worried about little things like that. Thanks anyways, though.
Alright. But just know that you guys are doing a wonderful job with this thread. I wish I could be doing better about it myself. For about a few days I literally thought nothing was going on. Turns out my inbox wasn't picking up recent messages. So that was lovely...

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yall crazy.

As thread organizers, it is up to you to make sure that these people understand the rules.

Yes, I know you have big bolded text at the beginning that explains it, but people seem to miss it.
If those votes aren't counted just because they miss a few things, then wouldn't we start to get some inconsistency?

I mean, for example, if somehow twenty people disliked Isaac but forgot to put a reason and you didn't even mention that to them, you've suddenly got him a lot higher than he would actually be.

das jus me tho.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Saito does have a point here. Keeping people informed of the rules of the thread is a good idea, however, it must be done in a positive and kind way, avoiding instigating an argument of any sort. The politeness to follow the rules is the most essential part of keeping this thread from going downhill in quality.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I say let them suffer.

...or just put "Read the OP before posting!" in the thread title. THEN they have no excuse.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yall crazy.

As thread organizers, it is up to you to make sure that these people understand the rules.

Yes, I know you have big bolded text at the beginning that explains it, but people seem to miss it.
If those votes aren't counted just because they miss a few things, then wouldn't we start to get some inconsistency?

I mean, for example, if somehow twenty people disliked Isaac but forgot to put a reason and you didn't even mention that to them, you've suddenly got him a lot higher than he would actually be.

das jus me tho.
When it comes to common sense, it should be obvious that one needs to read the rules before doing anything. But regardless, there are going to be others in this thread who inform them, rather it be myself or another regular in this thread. I'm not happy about always having to inform the lazy, but I will if I need to.

That being said, there is no wrong side to this discussion. We are not obligated to inform those who won't read the rules themselves. But it is the right thing to do.

not me

**** all of yall in the **** *** ***** **** ****
Oh darn. I guess I now have a negative opinion about you. : P

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Is Muddy Mole available?

He can work kinda like an Inkling (Splatoon kid), only instead of traveling through paint on the ground he just digs through it like nobody's business.

Plus his game is all about grabbing, pushing, and throwing things. It'd be cool having a grappler character, unless you already consider DK ojne with his cargo throws.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I will say... Even if Custom Robo is a near the end of its rope, Splatoon was a redeeming factor for me. Sure it isn't the same, but the game just brings a smile to my face. I can't wait to get my hands on it! And with any luck, perhaps Sakurai will be lenient enough to promote the game with a Splatoon character in Smash 4 like he did with Roy in Melee.

Is Muddy Mole available?

He can work kinda like an Inkling (Splatoon kid), only instead of traveling through paint on the ground he just digs through it like nobody's business.

Plus his game is all about grabbing, pushing, and throwing things. It'd be cool having a grappler character, unless you already consider DK ojne with his cargo throws.
Muddy Mole is not. I've actually checked for him previously.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I will say... Even if Custom Robo is a near the end of its rope, Splatoon was a redeeming factor for me. Sure it isn't the same, but the game just brings a smile to my face. I can't wait to get my hands on it! And with any luck, perhaps Sakurai will be lenient enough to promote the game with a Splatoon character in Smash 4 like he did with Roy in Melee.

Muddy Mole is not. I've actually checked for him previously.
Aww, I thought I had a brilliant new idea to revive this thread.

Also:

Frackin.png

The stupid Lego Movie ad wouldn't let me like your Splatoon hype comment for a while.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Aww, I thought I had a brilliant new idea to revive this thread.

Also:

View attachment 16642

The stupid Lego Movie ad wouldn't let me like your Splatoon hype comment for a while.
That like situation happens from time to time. Stupid ads...

But about your idea, it still can be used. I seem to remember a certain "other character" who favors digging.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Not an expert on the character, but it could possibly work with Jill, as well.
Maybe, but oddly enough I can't see her burrowing into the ground. The only time she does that sort of thing is to pass through certain puzzles. But this is Smash...breeder of moves characters never had. It could work.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Not an expert on the character, but it could possibly work with Jill, as well.
Maybe, but oddly enough I can't see her burrowing into the ground. The only time she does that sort of thing is to pass through certain puzzles. But this is Smash...breeder of moves characters never had. It could work.
Jill sounds okay.

freakin.png

Aaaaaaaaaand it happened again.

Anyone know where to complain about this ad? It happened to QQQQQQQ7777777 as well so I know it's the ad and not my laptop.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
It's why I still run adblock on this site. Even if I disable adblock on smashboards that annoying red bar at he top asking me to turn it off still shows up so I see no reason to turn it off.

Anyways, we should get back on topic. So how about that Jill, to be honest she just received her first vote in here not too long ago. Pretty crazy to have a characters first vote show up 300 something pages in.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I don't know that much about Jill but I like the idea of a digging character.

Knuckles might work too, but i suspect the PMBR is going to make him a Sonic clone, so it might not happen.

Also since I already gave a half-vote to Knuckles I'll give one to Jill as well.

+1/2

Jill

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I don't know that much about Jill but I like the idea of a digging character.

Knuckles might work too, but i suspect the PMBR is going to make him a Sonic clone, so it might not happen.

Also since I already gave a half-vote to Knuckles I'll give one to Jill as well.

+1/2

Jill
As I said before to everyone who made this comparison, the only thing that Sonic and Knuckles share in common in hindsight is Spin-Dash. And even then, Knuckles was slower. Even WITH his Spin-Dash. If anything, Knuckles would function more like Little Mac with a glide and dig function, and a spin-dash.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
As I said before to everyone who made this comparison, the only thing that Sonic and Knuckles share in common in hindsight is Spin-Dash. And even then, Knuckles was slower. Even WITH his Spin-Dash. If anything, Knuckles would function more like Little Mac with a glide and dig function, and a spin-dash.
Mmm. Well like I said I already gave him a half-vote so I support him, clone or not.

Crimefridge

Smash Rookie
Up Votes
Ridley - More villains, unique moveset, Metroid representation
Lyn - Female rep, Mani Katti is both a rapier and a katana for unique fighting style
Tetra - Female rep, unique attacks
Black Shadow / Ganondorf - Chance to make Ganondorf unique
Isaac - Could be cool, but it's hard to gauge what powers to give him with the Djinn factors

Neutral Votes
Andy - Very excited for the concept
Sami - Alternative to Andy basically
Hector - If he's as OP as he was in Fire Emblem, he'd be more broken than Meta Knight
King K. Rool - Cool factor, though retro
Skull Kid - So many possibilities to make this interesting... oh and Smash Ball :eek:
Shadow - Sonic with actual ranged abilities that don't involve hitting people with your body? I would go with slightly higher damage, higher weight, slower moves
Saki Amamiya - I don't know this guy, but sounds like Virgil
Ray MK III - Looks nice in concept
Sukapon - Also looks nice in concept
Dixie Kong - If you do Dixie Kong, you might as well throw Tails in as a freebie
Paper Mario - I like Paper Mario, but in terms of interesting, it's not very. Could make his spot dodge turning sideways
Bowser Jr. - Would be cool if he had some unique moves other than being a faster Bowser
Samurai Goroh - Use the sword AND melee moves!-
Tails - My favorite character from the original series, but I'm having difficulty imaging the combat
Knuckles - I can definitely see how he works, though I'm not enthusiastic particularly

(Paula / Kumatora not listed for some reason? Kumatora has more personality and more unique potential for combat probably)

Down Votes
Pichu - Baby pokemon aren't cool, otherwise why not have Igglybuff?
Pokemon Trainer - Safari Zone Pokemon Trainer? ><
Waluigi - Made his debut in Tennis
Toad - King of the minor characters, we can do better
Dark Samus - Skin for Samus
Krystal - She represents a lot of issues in the gaming community
Masked Man - Already got Lucas with the skin
Ninten - Ninten had very little difference from Ness, just make it a retro Ness skin
Tom Nook - I disliked Villager in concept and this would be a reskinned Villager

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Aww man i missed the shetstorm of uninformed voters.

Saito makes a valid point about people's downvotes not being counted.
If i may make a suggestion....

Perhaps make it so all downvotes are -1/2 ( or maybe -1/4?) vote until a description deemed legitimate is provided. Then bump the -1/2 down to a full -1.

So if billy downvotes Big the Cat but doesn't provide a description, it would be a half downvote by default. If billy says something that doesn't really explain why Big the Cat would ruin the game it's still a half downvote.

Seems like an easy fix to me but i'm not in the clone engine back closet (not important enough to get a room) so theres probably some other gears, nuts and bolts in motion that i don't know about.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Aww man i missed the shetstorm of uninformed voters.

Saito makes a valid point about people's downvotes not being counted.
If i may make a suggestion....

Perhaps make it so all downvotes are -1/2 ( or maybe -1/4?) vote until a description deemed legitimate is provided. Then bump the -1/2 down to a full -1.

So if billy downvotes Big the Cat but doesn't provide a description, it would be a half downvote by default. If billy says something that doesn't really explain why Big the Cat would ruin the game it's still a half downvote.

Seems like an easy fix to me but i'm not in the clone engine back closet (not important enough to get a room) so theres probably some other gears, nuts and bolts in motion that i don't know about.
I think that'd be way too much trouble. I say just refer to my post:

I say let them suffer.

...or just put "Read the OP before posting!" in the thread title. THEN they have no excuse.

Dranbakim

Smash Rookie
Up Votes
Lyn
Sukapon
Bowser Jr.
Isaac
-I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but there is an interesting viedo of a moveset for him
and a thread in kc mm (forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=39505.0) for that hack, but the OP seems to be dead or something
Not downvoting anyone, I'm cool with all of the characters here

Shin F.

Smash Master
Up Votes
Lyn
Sukapon
Bowser Jr.
Isaac
-I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but there is an interesting viedo of a moveset for him
and a thread in kc mm (forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=39505.0) for that hack, but the OP seems to be dead or something
Not downvoting anyone, I'm cool with all of the characters here
It has - the moveset is a bit rough, but it has some good ideas. I like the thought of him using Catch as a long-distance grab, and his down smash and up smash are excellent ideas for him. His down air being Spire works really well, too, the way they did it.

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
Yeah, I also run ad-block plus for this site as well. However, I spent some time in the premium category and threw a small wad of money at Smashboards. I may not post much, but I've done an awful lot of lurking these past 10 years.

--------------------------------------------------------

Daisy: Princess who needed rescuing in a single, forgotten Mario game (Super Mario Land). Has since only appeared as filler character for Mario sports games, and otherwise has no importance in the franchise. No appearance in any major Mario games except SML.
Dark Samus: Primary antagonist of the Metroid Prime series (3 games) and one of the most recognizable characters of the franchise.
Your reason is sound, but I still stand by what I said.

Eh, I wouldn't really say it's an unpopular opinion. I can see where you're going with Shadow, but Shadow literally has like 3 moves that Sonic doesn't. Dark Samus literally had an entirely different moveset + the missiles that Samus used when she was in the Metroid games as a boss. Literally the only thing similar between them is their name, the way they look, and missiles. I don't think that's enough to say a character couldn't/shouldn't be added to the game, y'know? Falco came out and was basically an alternate outfit for Fox, so why not give Dark Samus a chance?

Also, I think Daisy in Smash would be kind of cool.
DatDolphin, you've pulled me off of the Dark Samus grumpy train. I think you're right, especially with the fact that the PM people are pretty professional at doing this, so maybe Dark Samus could turn into something interesting. I'm not going to take back my minus vote, but I now no longer have a reason to eat her face in the upcoming ones. Plus anyone who likes Daisy has to count for something in my book. Well spoken, DatDolphin, well spoken.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I bet Lyn wouldn't even have half of the votes she has now if she wasn't a girl.

It's too bad Isaac and Ridley aren't girls, or they'd probably have votes into the tens of thousands.

Speaking of votes, I'd like to redact my -1 from Pichu. Although I still don't support or necessarily like the character, as long as we still get cool **** like Isaac and Ridley, I think Pichu has as much of a place as any other character.

Just not in front of mah bois, yo. :evil:

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I bet Lyn wouldn't even have half of the votes she has now if she wasn't a girl.
Not only is she a girl, she also has the potential to have a creative moveset unlike a certain mouse that I know. Also, every smash game has been pretty much a huge sausage fest. Sakurai knows it that's why he's announcing more female characters to encourage more female players, I don't see why Project M shouldn't do the same. Lyn earned her votes, don't discredit her by assuming that "she's just a girl".

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"she's just a girl".
I never once said "she's just a girl".

I just said that it amounts to a lot of her popularity, which is true. As much as people will deny it and say otherwise, she'd be "just another Lord" if she was male, katana or otherwise.

I don't doubt she has potential, as any reasonable character would, but Fire Emblem getting a fourth (and second Clone Engine) character rubs me the wrong way.

To clarify -- The only character I have any "real" attachment to is Ridley, as I'm a huge Metroid fan. Beyond that, I only want characters for their unique abilities and playstyles.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
I never once said "she's just a girl".

I just said that it amounts to a lot of her popularity, which is true. As much as people will deny it and say otherwise, she'd be "just another Lord" if she was male, katana or otherwise.

I don't doubt she has potential, as any reasonable character would, but Fire Emblem getting a fourth (and second Clone Engine) character rubs me the wrong way.

To clarify -- The only character I have any "real" attachment to is Ridley, as I'm a huge Metroid fan. Beyond that, I only want characters for their unique abilities and playstyles.
The quotation marks weren't used to quote what you said, it was used to denote a title; similar in a sense to a nickname. Ex. Miles "Tails" Prower. I can't speak for the others that voted for her, but I do know people that voted for Lyn solely for potential (myself being one of those people).

I thought you were implying that Pichu was more deserving than Lyn when you retracted your vote so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Hopefully all the Clone Engine characters could bring their own unique style to the current cast because, like you, I rather not have a literal clone of a character in essence and playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom