• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I'd like to vote Waluigi simply because of how crazy he is in the spin off games and how well he could represent the spin-offs as well. His whip & vines from Mario Strikers, air swimming from Tennis and Hoops 3-on-3, use of a kart from Mario Kart, his dancing skills in Mario DDR, his tricky personality and the fact that he's a "technical" type character in most games, and general use of items from sports games such as Tennis Rackets, Baseball Bats, or Golf Clubs. He could also possibly borrow a few moves from Ganondorf or Falcon that'd fit him.(i just explained why because I felt like it)

What is this, like 4 in a row who can't read highlighted yellow text?
Basic education be hard yo

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh... looks like clone engine stuff got leaked again. Kinda different direction than last time but I dig it.

Sami:

Alternate costumes:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
I don't know what you're smoking, but those aren't brawl models. She would stick out even more than Snake if she came in looking like that.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
um
it looks cool but
um
she doesn't match the Advance Wars style at all
Not to mention how much she'd stick out among the rest of the cast

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
"Hey bro, who dis chick think she is? Coming in here looking like some sort of war torn hero."
"I don't know, but I want her dead."

Project:Mafia

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
<1>
Ninten (A)
Samurai Goroh (B)
Pichu (A)
Saki (C)
Sukapon (C)

<1/2>
Pokemon Trainer (C) (I want him, but no matter what they do to him, it won't make him any justice)
Isaac (C)
Ray (C)
Toad (B)
Tails (C)
Knuckles (C)
Andy (B)
Balloon Fighter (B)

<-1>
Ganon/Black Shadow.
My stance on this matter hasn't budged.
I don't like Black Shadow. That's good reason enough to give him a negative. He's also not as important as Samurai Goroh. Just look at the boxarts for F-Zero and count how many times the Fire Stingray/Samurai Goroh are in it, and how many times Black Bull/Black Shadow are. Not to mention, what people REALLY want is Ganondorf decloned (or do they?). It's a sneaky double character suggestion passed as if it were only one.

(Not even going to debate this. There's nothing that can make me like Black Shadow, let alone, this suggestion)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I actually forgot Andy. He's always been in my sigs anyway. A faster/weaker Snake, and hailing from Advance Wars no less, is a character I can get behind. I've only played the complete tutorial, and I liked it already.

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
UP VOTE
  • Bowser Jr.: Bowser is a polarizing character as is, so it would be very interesting to see a bit of that raw strength be balanced out for something brutish, but still quick. Plus, it's Bowser Jr.
  • Ridley: Needs more bad ass monsters.
  • K. Rool: DK characters really need more love, and K. Rool really deserves a shot.
  • Ninten: The 3rd EB kid of choice, and to round off the Mother series.
  • Samurai Goroh: Mostly voted because it's NOT Black Shadow.
DOWN VOTE
  • Dark Samus: Too much clone. This could seriously just be an alternative costume for Samus. Daisy warrants more of a slot.
  • Black Shadow+Ganon: Minus the whole sword thing, Ganon feels really Ganon-y with how his move hit hard and such cruelty. Black Shadow is similarly in the same boat as Dark Samus where there are far more worthy characters of the series to look at.
    I'd downvote Shadow the hedgehog for the same reason as the above two, but he's already at the bottom of the barrel.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Where are all the oblivious voters coming from? I don't mean to be offensive, but honesty it's as if this post doesn't have an OP. If people would assure that they understand the rules and limits, this thread would run much more smoothly.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
No that seriously couldn't
An alt costume cannot be a different character
While true, there is a work around to that.

Clone engine rules say that the alt costumes can't turn the character into another character.

However, Dark Samus' armor can be used as inspiration for a Samus themed alternative costume.

You could argue that it wouldn't be Samus anymore, but it would be, because the PMBR would also then make a costume drawing inspiration from dark samus' outfit for Zero suit samus' suit.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
UP VOTE
  • Bowser Jr.: Bowser is a polarizing character as is, so it would be very interesting to see a bit of that raw strength be balanced out for something brutish, but still quick. Plus, it's Bowser Jr.
  • Ridley: Needs more bad *** monsters.
  • K. Rool: DK characters really need more love, and K. Rool really deserves a shot.
  • Ninten: The 3rd EB kid of choice, and to round off the Mother series.
  • Samurai Goroh: Mostly voted because it's NOT Black Shadow.
DOWN VOTE
  • Dark Samus: Too much clone. This could seriously just be an alternative costume for Samus. Daisy warrants more of a slot.
  • Black Shadow+Ganon: Minus the whole sword thing, Ganon feels really Ganon-y with how his move hit hard and such cruelty. Black Shadow is similarly in the same boat as Dark Samus where there are far more worthy characters of the series to look at.
    I'd downvote Shadow the hedgehog for the same reason as the above two, but he's already at the bottom of the barrel.
What, Daisy???

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Upvoting Dark Samus for the potential to have a fast-falling Samus clone.

I've realized that after thinking about a bunch of potential clones, most of my thinking goes toward fall-speed. The spacies, even with Wolf being not really even a clone of Fox and Falco, is a fast-faller. I mentioned Slippy earlier because I think it'd be cool to have a floaty spacie.

I mean, it'd be even better to stay as far away from clones as possible (with the exception of maybe the whole Andy/Sami clone of Snake thing, also Ninten I'm totally down with), but the characters that we already have in game are pretty damn cool.

Edit: yo so after looking at my sig I get the feeling that I've upvoted/downvoted a lot of things already so I guess I should probably do my votes over. A while back I was 100% in favor of the Ganon/Black Shadow thing, but now I'm pretty damn opposed to it. Will post again later.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Inbox fails me yet again. I didn't know any of this was going on... But anyways, I'm still hell bent on wanting Ray in Project M. After all that happened with E3, I felt extremely empty when I realized that Custom Robo is pretty much near the end of its existence. Nintendo is moving on to newer IPs and games like Splatoon, Project S.T.E.A.M, and more Xenoblade Chronicles. Not that it is a bad thing, but I doubt smaller IPs such as Golden Sun and Custom Robo will even make a comeback because of it. I hold this series as near and dear to my heart as Shin does Mother or Arctic his Ice Climbers. That being said, if Ray doesn't make it into Project M I'll be terribly disappointed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
RIDLEY(+1)
I'd like to upvote Ridley. He's a total badass, and a franchise as important as metroid deserves more than one character to rep it. I know we have two playable character, but they are both samus. We need something more, and as cool as dark samus is, she just isn't as good as ridley, rep wise.

RAY(+1)
I love the custom robo series. I'd be really sad to see ray delegated to an assist trophy again. Between all the weapons, bombs, and pods, both ranged and melee, it wouldn't be too difficult to keep him from being too projectile oriented. I know he's not super popular, but I'll throw him a bone.

SHADOW/GANNON(+!)
this would feel like getting two characters, and would put more focus on zelda without over-repping the franchise, as well as giving F-zero a second rep. it is the only series from the 64 version with one rep. seems odd.

DARK SAMUS(+1)
As much as I love Ridley,
1)There still is a (small) chance Ridley could be in ssb4, and I know it's hard to make an original character from scratch. Dark samus could at least be based off of Samus' model.
and for those who say clone, let me say
Dark Samus has no morph ball, screw attack, missiles, power beam, or flame/ice beams. Dark samus teleports, uses phaazon beam and spikes/tendrils, and corrupts.
Dark Samus could be very interesting. I'm also just a metroid fanboy.

SUKAPON(+1)
This guy doesn't get nearly enough love. If the smash bros series makes a point of reviving old series in the form of a fighting game, there is no one who fits that profile better than sukapon. This guy could be a very interesting and unique figher. I think he'd be a lot of fun.

and as much as I feel like a party pooper for doing a downvote

LYN (-1)
We already have 3 FE sword users, and one is taking up a clone spot. No more, please. If we do another FE, gotta be a non-sword user.

I'm not voting for isaac even though I love him. He's so popular that I'm not worried, and with the chance of him appearing in sm4sh, it'd feel like a waste of a vote.

Last edited:

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
Dark Samus: Too Much Clone. This could seriously just be an alternative costume for Samus. Daisy warrants more of a slot.
The thing is, Dark Samus isn't EXACTLY like Samus. Under your logic, we should remove Falco. He is LITERALLY Fox with a different model and properties.

Dark Samus can hover, use a Phazon beam, phazon shield to deflect attacks, she has two charge beam variants, turn invisible, summon Dark Echoes to attack, create a shockwave of Phazon energy, and can straight up disappear and reappear in a burst of Phazon. Dark Samus has more than enough unique powers to become different than Samus.

Last edited:

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
Whoo, I have the unpopular opinion! (Heavy: Not big surprise.) Sorry if I was a bit confusing as it was late and I just wanted to be brief on the Dark Samus. I was implying that instead of giving DS her own move set, just make it as an alternate costume for Samus. Sorry for the confusion.

Anti-Guy: I feel that Daisy > Dark Samus.

DatDolphin: As a melee character, I really don't think much of Falco. At all. However, I have no problems with him because people liked the end result, and who am I to tell them they're wrong? They did make him a bit different in Brawl, and even in PM he got a bit more tweaking though, so that was a step in the right direction. To respond to your second paragraph, the same thing could be said about Shadow the hedgehog. A literal clone, but has enough stuff to be different as his own character.

Psykid: I read the OP, and double checked it before posting, and I read about 5-6 pages back to see what was happening before I posted to follow along with everyone else. If everyone stopped being 'efficient' by page 329, then I'm afraid I missed it.

My opinion on Dark Samus because all I see is the Metroid version of Shadow The Hedgehog. I'm aware that my opinion on this is unpopular, so there's no real need to dwell on this, unless you have something constructive to ask me.

DatDolphin

Smash Cadet
DatDolphin: As a melee character, I really don't think much of Falco. At all. However, I have no problems with him because people liked the end result, and who am I to tell them they're wrong? They did make him a bit different in Brawl, and even in PM he got a bit more tweaking though, so that was a step in the right direction. To respond to your second paragraph, the same thing could be said about Shadow the hedgehog. A literal clone, but has enough stuff to be different as his own character.

My opinion on Dark Samus because all I see is the Metroid version of Shadow The Hedgehog. I'm aware that my opinion on this is unpopular, so there's no real need to dwell on this, unless you have something constructive to ask me.
Eh, I wouldn't really say it's an unpopular opinion. I can see where you're going with Shadow, but Shadow literally has like 3 moves that Sonic doesn't. Dark Samus literally had an entirely different moveset + the missiles that Samus used when she was in the Metroid games as a boss. Literally the only thing similar between them is their name, the way they look, and missiles. I don't think that's enough to say a character couldn't/shouldn't be added to the game, y'know? Falco came out and was basically an alternate outfit for Fox, so why not give Dark Samus a chance?

Also, I think Daisy in Smash would be kind of cool.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
+ Votes
Ridley: Badass purple space pirate dragon.
K Rool: With all his weaponry, krazy antics, disguises, etc, K Rool has pretty much the most move potential of anyone out there. Plus, DKC needs more love.
Isaac: An earth mage/sword fighter combo sounds pretty interesting. Add djinn to the equation, and you've got an excellent addition to the roster.
Sukapon: Never played his game, but I like the potential in his body plan. He should be easier to animate, too, since clipping isn't a possibility.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Why don't they just do a poll with the top 10 most requested characters with the most votes so far. Much easier they watching every post and counting every tally from every post.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Why don't they just do a poll with the top 10 most requested characters with the most votes so far. Much easier they watching every post and counting every tally from every post.
Because

1) That would mean that new characters that we just haven't thought about or that were introduced later would have no chance at all, even though they may become more popular.
2) It's not that hard to count up these votes.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I know I voted before but I never did a minus. So here is my vote including my minus list. If you missed my last vote you can use this instead.

+ 1 for Ganondorf + Black Shadow (was in my last vote)
+ 1 for King K. Rool (was in my last vote)
+ 1 for Krystal (was in my last vote)
+ 1 for Sukapon (new vote)

- 1 for Lyn
- 1 for Ridley
- 1 for Isaac
- 1 for Dark Samus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom