• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I don't even think using Kirby as a base for his copying abilities is even possible.

It'd require a programming miracle to have another character with a similar ability.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Might I direct you here.

Another for which the connection to Sukapon is more tenuous.
The idea expands upon how many character's ftilts and fsmashes, as well as Metaknight's dair, have different angled versions. If Sukapon is to be precision-based, having greater control of her attacks would be entirely appropriate, and the independent nature of her pieces would make complex variations of the same general move a breeze. On the other hand, too much freedom would actually dilute the original form of precision spacing as gameplay becomes simply "press towards opponent and hit A." Hence, more significant differences for the player to take into account when choosing between angles may be needed to reestablish thoughtful aim. Here I try to convey models of many such methods for differentiation.
This necessitated creative liscense of moves, so I had some fun with it. They're not intended to form a coherent moveset, so regard them only insofar as they exemplify the ideas, which could transplanted onto any moves to any degree.
Thanks for the link. Personally not a fan of suka and the moveset didn't really do anything for me. It looks like some effort was put into it but he/she's just not my character. I will update my original post however now that i have been informed.

Oh you can talk about him.
Just be prepared to defend your points because you're probably calling me out.
Not calling you out. Just said don't talk about pichu because the argument could really go either way and usually goes nowhere. For the record i mostly agree with you.

This statement is hard to understand.

like I'm reading it but it's not making sense.
It was a jab/joke attempt at casuals who think that they're the first to suggest shadow as a character but since you didn't get it.....
0/10 will not use again.
Here's a fresh idea, every is arguing about Tails (sidekick) or Shadow (antihero), but how about we go for an actual Sonic Villain?

Metal Sonic!

A fast and powerful heavyweight, taking parts of what already makes Sonic powerful, like speed and combos, and adding weight and ranged ability to him?
Probably gonna piss off a couple of sanic fans but wth.
Why not just make him an alternate? I know it's not the same guy technically but neither is mario and dr.mario. So what's the difference here? Why does sanic series deserve special treatment in a game that he doesn't even technically belong in?

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Guys, guys.
Metal Mario as a playable character.
Everyone knows, every time Mario got the metal cap Metal Mario from the metalverse switch places with Mario and stayed there for 30 seconds. He learned how to master universe swapping to play Golf, Tennis, Race, and be an annoying boss fight for 5 year old MLGF.

Obviously Mario runs on the multiverse theory and manipulation of said theory.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I think it was Game Theory.
You sleez
Probably was. Although if he is an alternate universe Mario it would make sense. Peach is his nurse in the game.

Guys, guys.
Metal Mario as a playable character.
Everyone knows, every time Mario got the metal cap Metal Mario from the metalverse switch places with Mario and stayed there for 30 seconds. He learned how to master universe swapping to play Golf, Tennis, Race, and be an annoying boss fight for 5 year old MLGF.

Obviously Mario runs on the multiverse theory and manipulation of said theory.
Actually in the super mario wiki there's 2 metal marios. Power up metal mario and actual anti hero character metal mario.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Probably was. Although if he is an alternate universe Mario it would make sense. Peach is his nurse in the game.

Actually in the super mario wiki there's 2 metal marios. Power up metal mario and actually anti hero character metal mario.
It makes more sense that they're the same person playing different roles, considering that Miyamoto said the entire cast is a troupe of actors anyways. He even said that Dr. Mario may not have been legitimate, meaning he's not a real doctor in any case :p Gives credence to all of those memes as well xD

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...st-is-a-troupe-of-actors-and-bowsers-kids-are

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
It makes more sense that they're the same person playing different roles, considering that Miyamoto said the entire cast is a troupe of actors anyways.
I guess that would make sense....

So then what does this mean for metal sanic?
I still think he should be an alt.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I guess that would make sense....

So then what does this mean for metal sanic?
I still think he should be an alt.
He could be, but it would really be awesome if PMBR could make him become Metal Sonic when he gets a Metal Box. I just love that idea.

You know, you could put him as an alt on your custom build in any case.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Probably gonna piss off a couple of sanic fans but wth.
Why not just make him an alternate? I know it's not the same guy technically but neither is mario and dr.mario. So what's the difference here? Why does sanic series deserve special treatment in a game that he doesn't even technically belong in?
OK, they are not at all the same character besides the similarities in their name, Mario and Dr. Mario are still Mario, even if one has a PHD, Sonic is a blue furry hedgehog and Mecha Sonic is a weapon created by Eggman to kill Sonic.

Anyway, I was just trying to pitch a new idea. I still think Mecha has a lot to offer, even if you can't use his Copycat ability, he still has a lot of potential with his speed and abilities.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
He could be, but it would really be awesome if PMBR could make him become Metal Sonic when he gets a Metal Box. I just love that idea.

You know, you could put him as an alt on your custom build in any case.

I could do that but i probably won't because i don't care enough about sonic. I'm just suggesting that if he were to get an alt that it would make sense to make it metal sonic imo.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

I could do that but i probably won't because i don't care enough about sonic. I'm just suggesting that if he were to get an alt that it would make sense to make it metal sonic imo.
I don't know that much about Sonic but I know for a fact that that doesn't meet the PMBR guidelines for an alt costume. They have to be the same character and have similar enough proportions.

OK, they are not at all the same character besides the similarities in their name, Mario and Dr. Mario are still Mario, even if one has a PHD, Sonic is a blue furry hedgehog and Mecha Sonic is a weapon created by Eggman to kill Sonic.

Anyway, I was just trying to pitch a new idea. I still think Mecha has a lot to offer, even if you can't use his Copycat ability, he still has a lot of potential with his speed and abilities.
I dunno man. It's still a weird choice for another Sonic character. I mean if Nintendo owned Sonic and there were a bunch of his series' characters already in the game, I wouldn't see why not, but I can still only envision Tails or Knuckles as the ideal candidates for another Sonic character.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same way either.

And as for playable robots I'd rather have Ray or Skapon / Sukapon (whichever name it really is).

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman

Sure i agree that he could potentially offer a lot. In PM however where clone engine spots are limited i for one would prefer if metal/mecha sonic were just an alternate or the metal version of sonic.

I don't know that much about Sonic but I know for a fact that that doesn't meet the PMBR guidelines for an alt costume. They have to be the same character and have similar enough proportions.
Well then who would you suggest as an alternate costume for sonic?
Let's hypothetically assume the pmbr are trying to make at least 1 alternate costume for every character. In sonics case what would a good alternate for him be? Werehog? Knight sanic?

I'm only suggesting him as an alternate because his proportions are close enough to the original sonic. Every other sonic form has janky proportions that wouldn't be able to be a costume and would require some bone adjusting.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I honestly don't think Dr. Mario was ever a distinguished character like Metal Sonic. The fact is Metal Sonic and Sonic appear facing off in the same game. Dr. Mario is just in a spinoff that was never meant to have story depth.
What fanfiction did you pull that one from?
Doc is Love, Doc is Life

Last edited:

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Well ok, maybe giving Metal Sonic the ability to copy moves like Kirby is a little overzealous ... but how about this as an alternative?

Metal Sonic pulls a SM4SH Mega Man and many of his moves are actually copies of other Sonic moves? This way, little bits and pieces of several additional Sonic characters can be incorporated into the game. Metal can have Shadow's Chaos Control, Silver's ESP, and can even incorporate more characters into his melee attacks, like Amy's hammer, Knuckle's punch, Tail's tail attacks, even one of Sonic's smash attacks for good measure. It could be a real interesting twist on his Copy ability, and a way to allow a multitude of Sonic references in a single new enemy.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well ok, maybe giving Metal Sonic the ability to copy moves like Kirby is a little overzealous ... but how about this as an alternative?

Metal Sonic pulls a SM4SH Mega Man and many of his moves are actually copies of other Sonic moves? This way, little bits and pieces of several additional Sonic characters can be incorporated into the game. Metal can have Shadow's Chaos Control, Silver's ESP, and can even incorporate more characters into his melee attacks, like Amy's hammer, Knuckle's punch, Tail's tail attacks, even one of Sonic's smash attacks for good measure. It could be a real interesting twist on his Copy ability, and a way to allow a multitude of Sonic references in a single new enemy.
That idea has actually been presented before in the form of Emerl, except that he would have different Smash characters' moves.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
That idea has actually been presented before in the form of Emerl, except that he would have different Smash characters' moves.
I like my idea better, if only because I'm a sucker for multiple genre references in a single character, this is why I like Smash 4's Mega Man, as well as P:M's Pokemon starters, since they included so many move references in their movesets.

Between Tails, Shadow, and Metal Sonic, I think metal Sonic would just personally be the most interesting way to introduce a new Sonic character, plus he's a villain which I like, and a neat way you can take advantage of his Copy ability to give him a plethora of interesting moves that Sonic fans can be picking out as belonging to other Sonic characters.

In addition to Copy moves, I think Metal's down special should be the Black Shield, an impenetrable shield that can be held like a Shine or PK Magnet, but it does not reflect or absorb, it just clashes. Also I was thinking of giving Metal a chargable side special where he surrounds himself with electric energy and shoots himself forward, the longer you hold it, the larger the electromagnetic discharge and distance Metal travels, and if you hold it to maximum charge, Metal instead uses Maximum Overdrive, and burns out his circuits to do a devastating attack at the cost of self-inflicted damage.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Triple Deluxe, but that just looks like a recolor for Meta Knight.
Guess I wasn't clear.

That is Dark Meta Knight, the evil "Mirror World" counterpart to Meta Knight. (I know, original)

He first appeared in The Amazing Mirror and appeared again in Triple Deluxe.

I know the Kirby series doesn't need reps, but he would make a much finer character than Knuckle Joe IMO.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Guess I wasn't clear.

That is Dark Meta Knight, the evil "Mirror World" counterpart to Meta Knight. (I know, original)

He first appeared in The Amazing Mirror and appeared again in Triple Deluxe.

I know the Kirby series doesn't need reps, but he would make a much finer character than Knuckle Joe IMO.
Oh yeah, I remember him. It's just you mentioned KTD so I thought he was a new character for a little bit.

Still, quite a few Kirby characters would be better candidates than Knuckle Joe to be frank, even if Dark Meta Knight isn't one of them for me.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if this has been brought up to death, but there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8SqlRYW3xo

I feel like having an announcer call would be a huge factor in determining who should be a new character. With the PMBR striving for professionalism, I doubt they would want an imitator announcer or to use entirely new announcer voicework. Unless there are more announcer calls out there like this, it looks like our options are:
Ridley, Roy, Mewtwo, Megaman, Rockman, Isaac, Robin, Crystal, Tails, Jodie Summer, King K Rool, Micaiah, Bowser Jr., Felix, Jenna, Mii.

With the most likely probably being Isaac, Ridley, Tails, and Bowser Jr. I'm not positive, but I don't think King K Rool, Micaiah, Felix, Jennna and Mii even appear in brawl.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been following this thread so I apologize if this has been brought up to death, but there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8SqlRYW3xo

I feel like having an announcer call would be a huge factor in determining who should be a new character. With the PMBR striving for professionalism, I doubt they would want an imitator announcer or to use entirely new announcer voicework. Unless there are more announcer calls out there like this, it looks like our options are:
Ridley, Roy, Mewtwo, Megaman, Rockman, Isaac, Robin, Crystal, Tails, Jodie Summer, King K Rool, Micaiah, Bowser Jr., Felix, Jenna, Mii.

With the most likely probably being Isaac, Ridley, Tails, and Bowser Jr. I'm not positive, but I don't think King K Rool, Micaiah, Felix, Jennna and Mii even appear in brawl.
Metal Sonic should be easy then, since the announcer says "Metal" in the game. "Metal" "Sonic"!

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
Metal Sonic should be easy then, since the announcer says "Metal" in the game. "Metal" "Sonic"!
Yeah, I suppose any combination of voice clips that could be used to form a name is a possibility, as long as they can make it sound natural. I don't know how likely metal sonic is though.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yeah, I suppose any combination of voice clips that could be used to form a name is a possibility, as long as they can make it sound natural. I don't know how likely metal sonic is though.
They just spliced Roy and Mewtwo's names from other characters. It's really not that hard. For instance, if they wanted to do Isaac:
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Snake

Combine the parts of these announcer calls to be more like this:
IZeake
Isaac

I even went and spliced it myself once, and even though I'm not exactly the best with sound manipulation I ended up with this. Of course, PMBR would probably do it better than I did.
This is how they did Roy and Mewtwo as well, so this is how I'm sure they'll do other characters. It ensures that the announcer voice definitely blends in with the others.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
They just spliced Roy and Mewtwo's names from other characters. It's really not that hard. For instance, if they wanted to do Isaac:
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Snake

Combine the parts of these announcer calls to be more like this:
IZeake
Isaac

I even went and spliced it myself once, and even though I'm not exactly the best with sound manipulation I ended up with this. Of course, PMBR would probably do it better than I did.
This is how they did Roy and Mewtwo as well, so this is how I'm sure they'll do other characters. It ensures that the announcer voice definitely blends in with the others.
Ohhhh I didn't know that's how they did Roy and Mewtwo. I just assumed they took their names from that additional voice work the announcer did. So I guess they can do just about any character then as long as they can make it sound good.

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
Pichu would be easy as hell to announcer splice
Just another reason he should make it in :p
In fact, he's too easy to implement! P:M definitely needs more of a challenge, so they shouldn't add Pichu!
:joyful:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom