• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Why does everyone choose Masked man for a Mother 3 Rep

There is not enough love for Flint ;-;

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Why does everyone choose Masked man for a Mother 3 Rep

There is not enough love for Flint ;-;
As someone who's played Mother 3 (not sure if YOU have), I can safely say that Flint isn't that important compared to the Masked Man and Ninten. You played as him in the first chapter and that was it.

Really, the only ones we should be focusing on for extra Mother reps (if we get any at all, that is--I wouldn't get my hopes up) are Ninten and the Masked Man.

MLGF

Smash Lord
TBH, Flint's story is easily one of the most memorable portions of the game. His story made me tolerate the games... amazing gameplay... it... was.. so much... fun... and I totally don't like angering mother fans.

So I understand the Flint support, he left a huge impact.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Masked Man as a smash character wouldn't be as interesting as Flint. Plus Masked Man doesn't really do anything other than pull needles and fight you like 3 times.

Flint fought his way up a mountain to fight a mechanized dinosaur and beat it down to the point he could have killed it by himself. And he had no psychic powers to fall back on, only a stick with a tooth and a piece of lumber.

Smash wise, Flint using the Drago Fang would be way more interesting than Masked man being another Lucas with and arm cannon/sword.
(vs. spear wielding Flint)

MLGF

Smash Lord
Mother fans are nicer than Fire Emblem fans.

Trust me :p
Oh come now, it's easy to appeal to FE fans, you just turn the right gears.

If you're on Serenes forest or something and discussing gameplay, talk about how amazing Thracia and stuff are. Feel free to say that you prefer playing a specific way, but admit that your favorite unit isn't that good when playing the game for low turns and ****. It's easy once you get the hang of it.
If you're on some scrubby fanpage talking about how great Fire Emblem is despite these people only playing Awakening, you talk about Owain and how Awakening totally isn't the Brawl of the series..

Simple ****.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Masked Man as a smash character wouldn't be as interesting as Flint. Plus Masked Man doesn't really do anything other than pull needles and fight you like 3 times.

Flint fought his way up a mountain to fight a mechanized dinosaur and beat it down to the point he could have killed it by himself. And he had no psychic powers to fall back on, only a stick with a tooth and a piece of lumber.

Smash wise, Flint using the Drago Fang would be way more interesting than Masked man being another Lucas with and arm cannon/sword.
(vs. spear wielding Flint)
Well guess what.
BEAM SWORDS BEAT LOGS ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
As much as i think Flint is such a badass, and all the tragic losses he had but never gave up, i think that Ninten and Masked Man are more important, even though he does have his potential, but in that matter even Jeff could be more interesting to play as.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Flint can't be playable. If he were, then we could have Flint vs Lucas matches, and I'm just not a fan of seeing little kids kick the crap out of their dad or vice versa.

In all seriousness, Flint is a badass, no doubt, but he's pretty minor in the grand scheme of the games. There are four characters who have a comparable level of importance to Ness and Lucas, and Flint is not one of them. Those characters are, of course, Ninten, Giygas, Porky, and Masked Man.

Of them, Ninten is the first in the trio of protagonists, Masked Man is the final boss of the series and twin to the main character, Giygas is central to the plot of both games as the catalyst that set them off, and Porky is the douche who caused all the crap in the third. Logs don't touch these guys.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's not really his importance to the story, more of I would rather have a character using a fighting style not seen in smash ( a spear wielder), instead of a mish mashed Lucas with an arm cannon. It sounds way more appealing. The fact that Flint is a badass is just icing on the cake.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It's not really his importance to the story, more of I would rather have a character using a fighting style not seen in smash ( a spear wielder), instead of a mish mashed Lucas with an arm cannon. It sounds way more appealing. The fact that Flint is a badass is just icing on the cake.
Again though, all of those characters have potential fighting styles that aren't in Smash. Ninten has his yoyo and unique Mother 1 PSI like PK Beam and 4th-D Slip, Masked Man can have different variations of PK Love and PK Thunder, plus his arm cannon, wings, and sword, Giygas... well, he's not eligible so the point is moot, but he would be an actual Mewtwo clone so Flint beats him there at least, and Porky obviously has his spider mech.

And a lot of other Mother characters have unique possibilities as well. Jeff has his tech like his bottle rockets, bazookas, the shield killer, etc. Poo is like Masked Man without the wings and blaster. Duster has his tools like the bombs and wall staples.

It's not that I don't think Flint is cool or would be unique, it's just that he has some tough competition, and against more important characters to boot.

Besides, I may have made it into a joke but it would seriously feel awkward to me to be able to fight Lucas while playing as Flint.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Oh come now, it's easy to appeal to FE fans, you just turn the right gears.

If you're on Serenes forest or something and discussing gameplay, talk about how amazing Thracia and stuff are. Feel free to say that you prefer playing a specific way, but admit that your favorite unit isn't that good when playing the game for low turns and ****. It's easy once you get the hang of it.
If you're on some scrubby fanpage talking about how great Fire Emblem is despite these people only playing Awakening, you talk about Owain and how Awakening totally isn't the Brawl of the series..

Simple ****.
F*** that ****, I was talking about myself.

Awakening is Brawl and Owain should have died with Lissa.

COME AT ME

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I just dont think Masked Man would be too different from Lucas, except maybe being a middle ground between Ness and Lucas. (I feel like Squirtle is already this though in opinion.)

Jeff would be neat with his rockets and such, but my next pick for a character probably would be Duster, because his thief tools could be used in many unique ways. Boney would be a really neat character too though.

Honestly, it's just that i dont really want another character that plays simularly too another even if it is called the clone engine lol. Barring a few characters, I wouldn't mind anyone that got in as long as they brought a new type to fighting to Smash

Shin F.

Smash Master
I just dont think Masked Man would be too different from Lucas, except maybe being a middle ground between Ness and Lucas. (I feel like Squirtle is already this though in opinion.)

Jeff would be neat with his rockets and such, but my next pick for a character probably would be Duster, because his thief tools could be used in many unique ways. Boney would be a really neat character too though.

Honestly, it's just that i dont really want another character that plays simularly too another even if it is called the clone engine lol. Barring a few characters, I wouldn't mind anyone that got in as long as they brought a new type to fighting to Smash
Masked Man could be infinitely different as long as you use your imagination. The sword alone could do that for his normals, but also remember Masked Man wouldn't necessarily use his PSI in the same way. Just for a quick example, Ness and Lucas have the controllable PK Thunder, but what's to stop Masked Man from firing a straight horizontal beam of thunder from his cannon?

I prefer Jeff to Duster, but that's just because I like Jeff better.

How similarly the characters chosen play is entirely up to PMBR. Any character can be unique.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I actually think Jeff would be an awesome clone engine character. His solo part in EB was a ton of fun, and he has all sorts of weapons to use, and can work perfectly as a Snake clone.

I think we discussed him like 250 pages ago.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I actually think Jeff would be an awesome clone engine character. His solo part in EB was a ton of fun, and he has all sorts of weapons to use, and can work perfectly as a Snake clone.

I think we discussed him like 250 pages ago.
Jeff could be pretty boss. Although, I would just as soon see Ninten using Loid's/Jeff's bottle rockets for one of his specials

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Talking about Mother, i think Ninten could borrow some things from Loid, like the bottle rockets, considering both Ness and Lucas (mostly Ness) have borrowed some techniques from other characters like Paula, Poo and Kumatora, so it makes sense that Ninten could borrow things from a non-PSI user like Loid who is more of a "gadget" character.

edit: ninja'd by Shin F.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Talking about Mother, i think Ninten could borrow some things from Loid, like the bottle rockets, considering both Ness and Lucas (mostly Ness) have borrowed some techniques from other characters like Paula, Poo and Kumatora, so it makes sense that Ninten could borrow things from a non-PSI user like Loid who is more of a "gadget" character.
It would fit in with Ninten's greater focus on tools, as well (being that he would primarily be a yoyo user for his normals). I'd say give him a couple of Loid's gadgets for attack specials, PSI Quick Up (because I really want a character that can self-generate their own temporary Turbo Mode :p) and 4th-D Slip (since that's his signature technique).

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Masked Man could be infinitely different as long as you use your imagination. The sword alone could do that for his normals, but also remember Masked Man wouldn't necessarily use his PSI in the same way. Just for a quick example, Ness and Lucas have the controllable PK Thunder, but what's to stop Masked Man from firing a straight horizontal beam of thunder from his cannon?

I prefer Jeff to Duster, but that's just because I like Jeff better.

How similarly the characters chosen play is entirely up to PMBR. Any character can be unique.
Yeah, that's true. But i'm pretty set that he would become a middle ground between Lucas and Ness.

Unless they just made him faster than Lucas. Fox tier broken

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
How the hell did I let myself miss Mother discussion?!

If I had my way, and if the clone engine had more than 5 slots left, I'd add Ninten, Teddy, Porky, Prince Poo, Duster (we need a badass cripple in a fighting game lol) and Masked Man.

I'm glad Shin sympathizes with me, I'd feel weird knowing I'm playing a game where a parent can beat up their kid. It's also why I'm not into Lyn (cuz Roy) or even Bowser Jr. So as badass as Flint is, I wouldn't want him in the game.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

If I had my way, and if the clone engine had more than 5 slots left, I'd add Ninten, Teddy, Porky, Prince Poo, Duster (we need a badass cripple in a fighting game lol) and Masked Man.

I'm glad Shin sympathizes with me, I'd feel weird knowing I'm playing a game where a parent can beat up their kid. It's also why I'm not into Lyn (cuz Roy) or even Bowser Jr. So as badass as Flint is, I wouldn't want him in the game.
Speaking of other Mother chars. man, i can imagine Duster as the most stylish fighter, mainly using kicks (like Sanji from One Piece) and his thief tools.
I would play and main the **** out of Duster.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

Considering the fact that children are already being hit with swords, fire, and other violent things, I dont think it really matters

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Speaking of other Mother chars. man, i can imagine Duster as the most stylish fighter, mainly using kicks (like Sanji from One Piece) and his thief tools.
I would play and main the **** out of Duster.
You kiddin'? I don't care how he fights. I just want his running animation to be a handicapped hobble like in Mother 3.

Also Duster is a cripple who fights by kicking with his dead leg. You look at me and tell me that's not the coolest thing ever.

Edit:

Considering the fact that children are already being hit with swords, fire, and other violent things, I dont think it really matters
Nonetheless, a number of people are still gonna feel uncomfortable with potential father-son abuse in a Nintendo game, even if it's a mod.

Let me ask again, have you played and finished Mother 3? There are more important characters to choose from, and they are without a doubt Ninten and the Masked Man.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
You kiddin'? I don't care how he fights. I just want his running animation to be a handicapped hobble like in Mother 3.

Also Duster is a cripple who fights by kicking with his dead leg. You look at me and tell me that's not the coolest thing ever.
I can't think of a better winning animation/taunt for him as the Wess Dance.

Last edited:

MewtwoMOFO

Smash Cadet
I feel like anybody whose yet to play Mother has a hard time accepting Ninten as an eligible character, because they look at him and see Ness. Even though in truth they're quite different.

How weird would Fassad be? Like honestly it could be pretty cool.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I feel like anybody whose yet to play Mother has a hard time accepting Ninten as an eligible character, because they look at him and see Ness. Even though in truth they're quite different.

Welp.

That's enough internet for today.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

It would be Diddy's Brawl banana madness all over again!

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

Fassad would be AWESOME.

N-special: eat a banana
S-special: eat a banana
U-special: eat a banana (while rising)
D-special: eat a banana

Final Smash: eat a banana (restore 200% damage)

@ Saito Saito

He looks like this normally:

Basically like a Middle-Eastern Wario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom